All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:57 am

This is Elvis, if a 2 disc set, has a great chance to release some unreleased footage still not seen. Maybe even some tasters of special editions of TTWII and EOT. The soundtrack indeed, is a great collection of Elvis's best performances, and a 2nd cd would be great for alternate takes and performances to tie in with the movie eg outtakes of 'His latest flame',remastered EIC performances. A great opportunity, IF taken. :D 8)

TIE

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:09 pm

TIE is dated, not too interesting TODAY and I see no reason to upgrade it. Upgrade EOT - this will be INTERESTING.

With all material available today... there is chance for completely new documentary with some modern concept. But OK - it is much cheaper to add few minutes to already existing TIE with ridiculous Johnny Harra and release a "soundtrack" CD with all these awful overdubs and manipulated versions once so great songs... good appetite.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:11 pm

I have to agree with deadringer....

But, I will buy it though....the dvd that is...

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:49 pm

TIE Soundtrack LP was my first personal purchase (bought with my own money). I actually enjoyed the overdubs/beefed up sound on the TV show performances. I did not think it was overboard on the overdubbed type of sound. I would like that in a CD form to have yet one more variation of an Elvis tune.
I agree that TIE may be dated, but I'd still enjoy a TIE SE. They could possibly kill the audio narration and replace it with Jerry Schilling narration (possibly) and cut to Jerry in an interview situation setting up the scenes (similar to Elvis Meets Nixon) and let the scenes tell the story themselves.
Either way, I'll buy it. I'm a "brand" addict and Elvis is a "brand."
I take exception to the rubber duck though.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:51 pm

JonRomanovich wrote:I take exception to the rubber duck though.

HA HA HA :D

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:25 pm

My opinion on this is basically leave the movie alone.
Look what happen when they messed with ETTWII.
If they re-edit it, re-cut it, there will be many of us not happy with what they decided to cut out.

So just leave it, with one exception. In the spots where is Elvis performing, insert the complete performance.

Then on disc 2, put some more rare performances that are not even in the movie at all.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:41 pm

On a previous thread about this topic, it was mentioned that the TIE reissue would include the home video version and theatrical version. Not sure if the producers can include that much more footage not originally used unless they can use material they have that was supposed to be in the film but cut at the last minute.

With regard to the soundtrack, a lot of fans enjoyed it. The songs may not all be in their authentic or natural form, but that didn't stop BMG from allowing FTD to issue the horrendous recreated/overdubbed tracks on "Too Much Monkey Business." TIE certainly has a place in the catalogue, especially if they include all the songs that were originally left off the soundtrack.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:08 pm

It has been released officially on CD for those that have made reference to that.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:53 am

Steve_M wrote:It has been released officially on CD for those that have made reference to that.

Has it ?

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:18 am

Yes.

It was a limited edition official release in Peru.

But irrespective of limitation or location, point is that there is a clean BMG CD version out there so it wouldn't have taken much to duplicate it as they had already transfered it.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:19 am

ColinB wrote:
Steve_M wrote:It has been released officially on CD for those that have made reference to that.

Has it ?

Colin: I suppose it has been released officially SOMEWHERE. NOT in the U.S. though. Unless I missed it.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:55 pm

ekenee wrote:My opinion on this is basically leave the movie alone.
Look what happen when they messed with ETTWII.
If they re-edit it, re-cut it, there will be many of us not happy with what they decided to cut out.

So just leave it, with one exception. In the spots where is Elvis performing, insert the complete performance.

I'll go one step further....remove Ral Donner's horrible narration in the movie...I know it's been said before but every time I hear the line, "If I only coulda seen what was happenin' to me, I might have done something about it" makes me cringe everytime I hear it...and I'm one of those folks who has always thought that putting "Love Me" in the film instead of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" was most definitely not the wisest thing to do. I'd rather see "Are You Lonesome Tonight" than to see Elvis singing a song where you can barely hear him due to the microphone problems...and it seems to me that he's more 'out of it' during this song than AYLT..... :roll:

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:10 pm

Tony Trout wrote:...and I'm one of those folks who has always thought that putting "Love Me" in the film instead of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" was most definitely not the wisest thing to do.
I'd rather see "Are You Lonesome Tonight" than to see Elvis singing a song where you can barely hear him due to the microphone problems...and it seems to me that he's more 'out of it' during this song than AYLT..... :roll:

The scene is supposed to show how 'bad' things had got.

It suits the director's intentions to a tee.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:29 pm

Colin,

After readin' your reply, I agree...

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:43 pm

It's very interesting to see how the '77 footage will be used in the new This is Elvis dvd...

Cheers, RJ

This is Elvis

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:58 pm

From my private Collection, the sound is good, no booklet

Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:07 am

I watched (and Tivo'd) TIE on HBO SE and it included AYLT, the beaver and great head lines. Unfortunately it was the short intro (no Joe E running up the stairs to the bathroom).

The CBS 77 footage, to me, didn't look as great as I remembered from my VHS. I know it was video transferred to film, but it was way grainy.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:15 am

Often wondered when the original picture from the poster was taken, it looks circa army years, anyone know?Does anyone have the original it was made from?

Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:56 am

It looks like 1968 to me. June 1968.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:24 pm

I think it's from a photo taken in '57 in front of Graceland.