All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

This Is Elvis

Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:55 pm

G'Day All,

Hopefully, we are getting This Is Elvis on DVD in 2007.
But what about FTD finally releasing the soundtrack
on CD around the same time of the DVD.
This should have happened along time ago as T.I.E
was released in 81'. FTD should have put out the CD
back in 99', when they first started.
But... 'Maybe it's too late' :(

Thanks
Rob

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:42 pm

This is Elvis will be released as a 2-disc Special Edition in 2007.

Tom

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:00 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:This is Elvis will be released as a 2-disc Special Edition in 2007.

Tom

Tom,

2 disc DVD, or 2 disc CD? Any more info regarding this? Where did you hear about it?

K.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:11 pm

The upcoming DVD has been talked about on this very forum. I have other confirming sources as well, though.

Tom

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:50 pm

This Is Elvis 2 DVD Official Release For August 2007?

The Australian E.I.N. site mentions another confirmation that Warner Bros will be issuing a 2 disc DVD release of "This Is Elvis". George Klein mentioned on his all original Elvis hour radio show that "Warner has updated and "refreshed" the original film that was released back in 1981". This latest news follows earlier news from Elvisly Yours' Sid Shaw and the UK magazine, Record Collector (see story dated 23 May 2006), of the release.

Source: Elvis Information Network / Updated: Jul 24, 2006

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:20 pm

It would be nice for a This Is Elvis cd reissue to be released at the time of the DVD reissue. It was a great soundtrack. They could add bonus tracks that were originally in the film that didn't make the soundtrack and clean up a few mistakes like the inclusion of the Aloho Suspicious Minds over a 1970 Las Vegas version. If FTD can justify reissuing Tickle Me, certainly This Is Elvis could be a legitimate consideration.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:34 pm

I heard from somebody at Warner that RCA/BMG had asked for access to their soundtrack (dialog only) for TIE, so my guess is that a companion CD is in the works. No official word, though.

Tom

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:This is Elvis will be released as a 2-disc Special Edition in 2007.

Tom

WOOHOO!! :D :D :D

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:03 pm

Was there anything really special on the original TIE soundtrack that isn't available elsewhere?

Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:16 am

A double cd "This Is Elvis" soundtrack? Sure hope this comes to fruition.
Finally getting this on cd would rank right up there with finally getting the Camden albums on cd. Loads of nostalgic value for me.

What say you, Greg?

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:55 am

If I remember correctly, the soundtrack had a few exclusive items. There was an alternate take of Too Much Monkey Business (I don't think it's any of the takes on the FTD releases), alternate mixes of Promised Land, Merry Christmas Baby, I've Got a Thing About You Baby, a 1972 version of American Trilogy (not sure if it's from the same concert as on Close Up), remixes (overdubbed instruments) on the 1956 TV show songs, and a version of Blue Suede Shoes edited from a sit down and a stand up 1968 show. There may be more but that's what I remember.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:55 am

ronnyg wrote:If I remember correctly, the soundtrack had a few exclusive items. There was an alternate take of Too Much Monkey Business (I don't think it's any of the takes on the FTD releases)

This is what I have in my notes about the short [2:08] Too Much Monkey Business on This Is Elvis.:

"RCA claim that this is an alt. take but it is most likely the master with a different mix and the 2nd verse omitted".

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:02 pm

ronnyg wrote: a 1972 version of American Trilogy (not sure if it's from the same concert as on Close Up)
It is with added strings. Same with Merry Christmas Baby although edited too short.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:17 pm

ronnyg wrote:If I remember correctly, the soundtrack had a few exclusive items. There was an alternate take of Too Much Monkey Business (I don't think it's any of the takes on the FTD releases), alternate mixes of Promised Land, Merry Christmas Baby, I've Got a Thing About You Baby, a 1972 version of American Trilogy (not sure if it's from the same concert as on Close Up), remixes (overdubbed instruments) on the 1956 TV show songs, and a version of Blue Suede Shoes edited from a sit down and a stand up 1968 show. There may be more but that's what I remember.

Also, Always On My Mind has overdubbed strings on it. The undubbed version of this take is on The Great Performances cd.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:00 pm

The version of American Trilogy on TIE is from Hampton Roads, with added strings, and has since been released on the 1987 collection, The All Time Greatest Hits.

I've Got A Thing About You Baby always struck me as the original version, just edited to exclude the 2nd verse. Same thing with Promised Land.

I'd be interested in the DVD, if it redressed the problem of all the footage being edited, and maybe contained something new, but there's nothing on the soundtrack I'm desperate to have.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:40 pm

DarrylMac wrote:The version of American Trilogy on TIE is from Hampton Roads, with added strings, and has since been released on the 1987 collection, The All Time Greatest Hits.

I've Got A Thing About You Baby always struck me as the original version, just edited to exclude the 2nd verse. Same thing with Promised Land.

I'd be interested in the DVD, if it redressed the problem of all the footage being edited, and maybe contained something new, but there's nothing on the soundtrack I'm desperate to have.

The version of Promised Land on TIE includes Elvis singing the harmony... which is not included in the original release.
It also has the edited version of Blue Suede Shoes from the June '68 sit-down / stand-up shows which I always thought was pretty slick.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:21 pm

ronnyg wrote:If I remember correctly, the soundtrack had a few exclusive items. There was an alternate take of Too Much Monkey Business (I don't think it's any of the takes on the FTD releases), alternate mixes of Promised Land, Merry Christmas Baby, I've Got a Thing About You Baby, a 1972 version of American Trilogy (not sure if it's from the same concert as on Close Up), remixes (overdubbed instruments) on the 1956 TV show songs, and a version of Blue Suede Shoes edited from a sit down and a stand up 1968 show. There may be more but that's what I remember.

Yeah, the soundtrack has many rare (and few exclusive today) songs on it. Besides the many '50s television performances (with orchestra overdubbed), it had the following rare cuts:

Mean Woman Blues - Film Version dubbed directly from the Loving You Soundtrack; it can be found on Essential Elvis Volume 1.

Merry Christmas Baby - edited version with orchestra overdub.

Interview excperts from Hy Gradner Calling, Army Swearing In, Post-Army Press Conference and the MSG Pess Conference.

Too Mucn Monkey Business - edited version leaving out a verse.

I've Got a Thing About You Baby - edited version with 2nd version cut out.

Blue Suede Shoes (June 1968 spliced version) - first verse comes fom the June 27, 1968 6 p.m. show and the rest comes from the June 29, 1968 6 p.m. stand-up show.

Suspicious Minds - edited version from Aloha from Hawaii.

Promised Land - edited version (last verse omitted) with harmony vocal overdub left off of the original single.

Always on Mind - EOT Rehersal version from March 31, 1972 with orchestra overdubs. Later released without overdubs on The Great Performances CD.

An American Trilogy from April 1972 Hampton Roads, VA show with additional orchestral strings.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:48 pm

Is this going to be the nail in the coffin for the alledged "Elvis Anthology 2007" project ?

I'd rather have a comprehensive anthology package than this outdated format that was TIE.
The main reason is because we've had better versions of biography / documentrys done of Elvis since, even the 1987 I Don't Sing Like Nobody / Cut Me And I Bleed began the standard of story telling that many have copied since.

If you're talking about the music - then YES! release it and upgrade it on CD, but please lets not have the droll bland un-elvis-like caricatured voice overs and the Harraisms, "Thad'll be fine poorleen" dialogue that makes me cringe more today than it did then and that's saying something.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:52 pm

The 101 minute version is on HBOSE next Wednesday early AM.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:53 am

What's HBOSE ?

Is it a digital signal ? If so then someone could record it direct onto DVD and then it's done :lol:

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:47 am

Steve_M wrote:What's HBOSE ?

Steve,
I think it's one of the Home Box Office channels.

Tom

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:49 am

Hello,

Steve M, I think the person who posts on here occasionally as EPE would be better suited to answer your question regarding EPE's long anticipated "Anthology". Could it be possible that "This Is Elvis" is being reworked as the purported documentary. I've never heard anything regarding this but the idea could be done.

Daryl

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:52 am

Daryl wrote:Could it be possible that "This Is Elvis" is being reworked as the purported documentary. I've never heard anything regarding this but the idea could be done.

Daryl,
No, they are two totally different projects and have nothing to do with each other.

Tom

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:07 am

http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/Schedu ... US_ID=3392

This version (IMO) is far better than the 144 minute VHS release.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:11 am

I agree Jon. That God-awful overdubbing "man, she could raise the dead" just ruined the film.

Tom