All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:23 am

"Girl Happy" is a guilty pleasure for me.

There is an argument to be made for the historic value of the performance. This is the last professionally filmed footage of Elvis Presley. His last artistic stand for what it's worth.

There also might be some value in facing the boogeyman in the closet. Earlier in the thread a poster pointed out that a friend of theirs didn't think Elvis looked so bad. Watching the show proper a few years back I remember how shocked I was that Elvis seemed to be in a fairly good mood. The expectations are so negative that it could work in reverse since little could match those expectations and the reality could look that much better.

I argue mostly because I believe all the pieces are important. I understand where the estate is coming from and they can do what they want with their footage. However, I just think they're wrong in the big picture.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:10 pm

Larry Dickman. wrote:And on Unchained Melody from earlier in '77, ".............is remarkable....Presley gets carried away and his singing takes on a freedom which had not been heard for many years. This is an outstanding example of Presley in his last year..........." ... PS. Doc could you run your speel (sic) check over this?

First of all, quoting from Walker's book, which reviews Elvis performances issued on 45 and LP, makes no sense in discussing the merits of a specific national television broadcast.

And the 1977 version of "Unchained Melody" he praises was taped on April 24 in Ann Arbor. I don't believe the CBS cameras were filming that night. Einstein. Once again, your comments are irrelevant to the discussion. But what else is new?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:12 pm

I can't see a single DVD for Joe Public. Bad image, bad sales, bad critics.

I can envision:

1.
A four DVD box set:
The Comback Special (single version)
TTWII SE
Aloha (single version)
a new (heavily) edited CBS special (single DVD)

(Would be too expensive for Joe Public and we would have the unique chance to buy disc 1 - 3 once more. Clever, isn't it? :smt098 )

2.
A warts and all 2 DVD set on FTD

(Where is the harm to show warts and all at least in perfect quality if we already have it in inferior form? FTD has released soundboards I would not dare give them a try for Joe Public - and can easily be ordered via amazon!)

3.
An upgraded EIC CD without that silly Fans' comments and with Unchained Melody, with proper liner notes and a bonus DVD with highlights only and with Vernon's message.

Amen

Peter

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:18 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:I guess those who say we don't need improved sound and quality will not be buying the improved upcoming Sullvan release. Oops... I forgot the Doc is championing this new DVD Evidently he must have mistaken the Hippocratic to the Hypocrite oaf.

Your comments make no sense. Elvis on "Sullivan" is a landmark in TV history, and shows Elvis in his early prime. Elvis In Concert is footage of a dying man.

There is no hypocrisy here.

Using your clever example, had Elvis died of polypharmacy at Graceland shortly after his third appearance in Jan '57, I would "champion" a DVD release of the "Sullivan" appearances, as they feature an artist AT HIS BEST.

How thick can you be?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Larry Dickman. wrote:And on Unchained Melody from earlier in '77, ".............is remarkable....Presley gets carried away and his singing takes on a freedom which had not been heard for many years. This is an outstanding example of Presley in his last year..........." ... PS. Doc could you run your speel (sic) check over this?

First of all, quoting from Walker's book, which reviews Elvis performances issued on 45 and LP, makes no sense in discussing the merits of a specific national television broadcast.
WRONG!
Please read the revised edition released in 1995.....not your 1979 version.

And the 1977 version of "Unchained Melody" he praises was taped on April 24 in Ann Arbor. I don't believe the CBS cameras were filming that night. Einstein. Once again, your comments are irrelevant to the discussion. But what else is new?
Please re-read my post and note the remark "Unchained Melody from EARLIER in '77"

You really are struggling, John Boy........Nurse!
Last edited by Larry Dickman on Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:27 pm

likethebike wrote:"Girl Happy" is a guilty pleasure for me.

There is an argument to be made for the historic value of the performance. This is the last professionally filmed footage of Elvis Presley. His last artistic stand for what it's worth.

There also might be some value in facing the boogeyman in the closet. Earlier in the thread a poster pointed out that a friend of theirs didn't think Elvis looked so bad. Watching the show proper a few years back I remember how shocked I was that Elvis seemed to be in a fairly good mood. The expectations are so negative that it could work in reverse since little could match those expectations and the reality could look that much better.

I argue mostly because I believe all the pieces are important. I understand where the estate is coming from and they can do what they want with their footage. However, I just think they're wrong in the big picture.


Intelligent post, as we have come to expect from you likethebike.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:52 pm

Why not market it like "Fat Elvis at his worst", "The Scandal Show", "Elvis - Fat and stoned", "I'm lonesome tonight - and fat"

Doesn't everybody know that Elvis was fat and sick and is dead? You cannot say that an unedited complete version of the '77 shows should be released. Everything must be edited. Do you think "One Night with Elvis" ('68 sitdown show) was unedited like they said? No of course not. I have seen an unedited version and I must say I was surprised to see Elvis this way. The finished edited version gives a much better impression and this could also be done with the '77 material.

The 1977 CBS special goes a little too far when they censor the recitation part of Are You Lonesome Tonight. They thought he messed up when he actually tried to be funny like he used with this song. Today the xxx routine with Charlie would probably have been accepted and been part of the special. Back then somebody must have told Elvis that they couldn't use it or maybe he himself thought so and tried to come up with something else.

The CBS concept should be used for a new DVD version but should also be improved and somewhat changed for obvious reasons. The complete Omaha concert should never be released. The Rapid City show could be released (edited of course) but most fans would be satisfied with just the highlights and more interesting parts of it.

Why not make it a double DVD of some kind? Maybe the original That's The Way It Is coupled with the '77 material? That would aim primarily at the hard core fans.

Post edited for offensive term. Watch your language.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:00 pm

ElvisAhlgren wrote: You cannot say that an unedited complete version of the '77 shows should be released. Everything must be edited.


Agreed.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:43 pm

likethebike wrote:There also might be some value in facing the boogeyman in the closet. Earlier in the thread a poster pointed out that a friend of theirs didn't think Elvis looked so bad. Watching the show proper a few years back I remember how shocked I was that Elvis seemed to be in a fairly good mood. The expectations are so negative that it could work in reverse since little could match those expectations and the reality could look that much better.


I agree with your assessment, 'bike, and have been saying so for a long time. This show, if it were to be properly released, might find its way to a public which is sympathetic, and not as cynical as some believe. Much in the same way we saw with Johnny Cash.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:20 pm

I want to clear up a few points. Larry you don't have to sell me on the merits of the special. I too think the version of "my way" is superior to the aloha version, but I think to discuss the release of this special before "on tour' has even been released is pointless. I like some of the other songs too like, "trying to get to you", "fairytale", and "unchained".

Since they are going to release "on tour" very soon, they are not going to release another 70's Elvis concert package any time soon after.
I don't forsee a release till at least 2017.

And my reference to "girl happy" was meant as a reference to any of his still unreleased 60's movies. But it is a guilty pleasure for me too.
Spring break with Elvis in the mid 60's.

Those movies would still all have to be out first.

I can't see them releasing the special until there is virtually nothing left to market.

I stand by this, and I think this is the way it will go down.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:44 pm

This board has been down this road many times and the advocates for the "release" do need to get around the fact that if nothing, else, this footage remains the most controversial footage of Elvis' career.

Can anyone deny that? It is indeed controversial. It's not a clear case such as with ALOHA or '68.

That a significant number of die-hard Elvis fans can oppose the sale of the CBS tapes speaks volumes about the value of these tapes. And I'm someone who has enjoyed the original heartbreaking October '77 broadcast and grew up on the soundtrack 2-LP, loving versions of "How Great Thou Art," "Trying To Get To You," etc.

But the premise here is false, this stuff is available, people and the immediate remaining Presley family has ever right to make such a decision.


Get yourself the Star label imported DVD entitled "Love Coming Down" and you'll be set. The Star DVD may not have an EPE log on it, but it's close enough. Watch these tapes enough as I have in recent years and you do get satiated.

Or go to Jordan's site and download this, for free:

http://jordans-elvis-world.com/video/

Elvis In Concert - CBS Special 2006 Edition

"Source is apparently direct from the CBS master copy. The best quality that has ever been seen! Crystal Clear!"
File Size: 86MB Length: Over 50 minutes



Enjoy...! See,?"Elvis In Concert" is released! :lol:

********************

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:03 pm

Why not make it a double DVD of some kind? Maybe the original That's The Way It Is coupled with the '77 material? That would aim primarily at the hard core fans.


A great way to set up Elvis being ridiculed. Allow consumers to see Elvis in his prime in all his glory on disc 1 and then when they pop on disc 2, they can see Elvis arguably at his worst. The only way you can aim an EIC release towards the hardcore fan is to issue it via FTD. Any release available at mainstream outlets will be a disaster.

And while "Unchained Melody" from Rapid City is a stunning performance, the visuals are brutal.

If EOT gets a proper release, TTWII gets a proper release, Aloha and the 68 Comeback Special continue to be available in all their glory, and his 50's Sullivan performances are readily available, then EIC will not stick out like a sore thumb. But until the visual archives fully represent Elvis is the best possible way, it doesn't make business sense for EPE to put EIC on the shelves.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:03 pm

I'm curious as to who some of you think the shallow people are that supposedly need spoon feeding the 'thin as a rake and handsomer than 10 movie stars' image whilst at the same time require shielding from the CBS Special Elvis image, in order that they take an interest in the man and his music. What a bizarre notion that people like that should be a consideration, if indeed any are that shallow.

Some accounts here and in other threads regarding the CBS performances really paint the whole thing as some kind of horror story, when in reality if you watch these shows in their entirety they are not anywhere near as bad as they are made out to be by some.

Moreover, clearly many can find plenty to actually enjoy and be entertained by within those performances, something none of us need to apologise for I might add.

One could be forgiven for wondering if some of the cases being made for the shows to continue to be hidden away are being made on the shaky foundation of long held biases regarding the material, or indeed long held biases of Elvis' later career output in general.

Regardless, to suggest that the availability of such material through official channels would be colosally damaging to Elvis' reputation is one tired old dog of an argument that just wont hunt.

A collector label type release over 2 or 3 DVD discs of both complete shows together with perhaps an expanded special, Indianapolis airport footage and anything else around that period which may be available would be a welcome release for many I'm sure.

It's all Elvis and even those that don't 'get' the 76 and 77 stuff shouldn't be concerned that it negates anything that went before.

To use a similar example to one on a previous page, 'Ito Eats' doesn't make the Jailhouse Rock production number any less spectacular, now does it ?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:05 pm

but that's the original broadcast copy, you know the one where they should Elvis close up for a total of 10 minutes, the rest of the time it was very long shots, Vernon, roadies or multiple comments from fans.

Have I misunderstood ? I thought people were asking for a new edition of the special with loads of crystal clear close up shots of Elvis looking like he's wearing a grotesque rubber mask with hints of green makeup thrown in.

If all people are wanting is a DVD version of the original broadcast then great coz we hardly see any poor shots of Elvis in it. We hardly see
Elvis in it full stop

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:12 pm

Steve, finish up the great project on '77 I thought you were working on, then! I'd want that! (I recall seeing parts of it here in the last year...)

In stores, never. :twisted:

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:03 pm

ClintReno wrote:Some accounts here and in other threads regarding the CBS performances really paint the whole thing as some kind of horror story ...

You're so right! And the happy ending which unfolded about 55 days later is something all should remember when watching the June 1977 footage.

ClintReno wrote:... 'Ito Eats' doesn't make the Jailhouse Rock production number any less spectacular, now does it ?

For a purist, neither is anything to get excited about, but a dispassionate viewing of each leads to the inescapable conclusion that Elvis really sold his integrity down the river by 1961.

Using the example as analogy for issuing EIC fails to convince anyone armed with the facts of Elvis Presley's career, and even an ounce of compassion.

This subject is so worn out.

Let's wait until EPE and Turner have given the fans every worthwhile scrap of audio and video from 1953-75 before we start clamoring for another visit to the most depressing footage in Elvis history.

Good night, and good luck.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:17 pm

If you think this subject is worn out Doc, dont make comments anymore. Besides, 99,9% of them doesnt contribute.

BTW, doesnt ring a bell? When this topic dies, someone will start another sooner or later about this again. It seems that people aren't tired talking about EIC-DVD, while there have been hundreds of topics. Even the people who are against it, including YOU, Doc.

Oh, let me correct you, in youre Elvis-World, E died in 1973 and not 1975.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:30 pm

Doc's right: this topic is so worn out. A search even of our limited archives here will show that. And each time the feedback is that the special remains undeniably controversial...even among "hard-core" fans!

This footage is out there and let's stop pretending there is some kind of embargo.

Go to "Trade Center" or a few other sites and enjoy. This is not coming to any stores anytime soon.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=EL ... gle+Search




********************

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:35 pm

DJC,

Misrepresenting my position with a 'half quote' (thus rendering it out of context) to build your straw man argument does nothing to strengthen your own position in this topic.



Image
Indianapolis June 26th 1977

drjohncarpenter wrote:This subject is so worn out.
Then why continue to comment again and again ?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Okay, Clint, have the last word. :lol:

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:53 pm

ClintReno wrote:DJC,

Misrepresenting my position with a 'half quote' (thus rendering it out of context) to build your straw man argument does nothing to strengthen your own position in this topic.



Image
Indianapolis June 26th 1977

drjohncarpenter wrote:This subject is so worn out.
Then why continue to comment again and again ?


I love this pic of EP from Indy!

Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:21 am

I hope a picture of Elvis on the slumped over in front of his toilet never turns up. There will be a lot of people here demanding it be released to the mainstream market digitally enhanced because it is "out there already" and "part of Elvis' life."

I guess it depends where you draw the line.

ElvisAhlgren

Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:41 am

ElvisAhlgren wrote:

1977 CBS special goes a little too far when they censor the recitation part of Are You Lonesome Tonight. They thought he messed up when he actually tried to be funny like he used with this song. Today the xxx routine with...

======

- I was thinking that the word xxx was strictly prohibited on fecc, I used it in the same context (Are You Lonesome Tonight 77) and my posting was removed ! Explanation needed !!


Your first posting was NOT removed, just edited, with a warning the text would be removed with the next offense. Your second posting's CONTENT was deleted, as you ignored the warning. Quit wasting our time. You're the biggest offender here ... keep it up and you'll have to find a new MB.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ClintReno wrote:... 'Ito Eats' doesn't make the Jailhouse Rock production number any less spectacular, now does it ?

For a purist, neither is anything to get excited about, but a dispassionate viewing of each leads to the inescapable conclusion that Elvis really sold his integrity down the river by 1961.

Using the example as analogy for issuing EIC fails to convince anyone armed with the facts of Elvis Presley's career, and even an ounce of compassion.


I like and respect you, Doc, but who is lacking in compassion -- a) someone who acknowledges that Elvis existed and continued to entertain and enthrall fans beyond 1973 and is willing to buy a respectfully-presented official copy of "Elvis In Concert", or b) someone who doesn't and isn't?

I'm not pinning you to either pole (for one, you clearly acknowledge that Elvis existed beyond 1973, and have an impressive knowledge, so to claim otherwise would be absurd), but I don't see why others should be pinned to something they're not, either.

This issue is not an open-shut case and the fact that it keeps re-appearing is testament to that.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:22 am

ClintReno wrote:I'm curious as to who some of you think the shallow people are that supposedly need spoon feeding the 'thin as a rake and handsomer than 10 movie stars' image whilst at the same time require shielding from the CBS Special Elvis image, in order that they take an interest in the man and his music. What a bizarre notion that people like that should be a consideration, if indeed any are that shallow.

Some accounts here and in other threads regarding the CBS performances really paint the whole thing as some kind of horror story, when in reality if you watch these shows in their entirety they are not anywhere near as bad as they are made out to be by some.

Moreover, clearly many can find plenty to actually enjoy and be entertained by within those performances, something none of us need to apologise for I might add.

One could be forgiven for wondering if some of the cases being made for the shows to continue to be hidden away are being made on the shaky foundation of long held biases regarding the material, or indeed long held biases of Elvis' later career output in general.

Regardless, to suggest that the availability of such material through official channels would be colosally damaging to Elvis' reputation is one tired old dog of an argument that just wont hunt.

A collector label type release over 2 or 3 DVD discs of both complete shows together with perhaps an expanded special, Indianapolis airport footage and anything else around that period which may be available would be a welcome release for many I'm sure.

It's all Elvis and even those that don't 'get' the 76 and 77 stuff shouldn't be concerned that it negates anything that went before.

To use a similar example to one on a previous page, 'Ito Eats' doesn't make the Jailhouse Rock production number any less spectacular, now does it ?


Succinct and articulate post Clint.....bravo.