All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

EIC

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:52 am

I've got a video of the CBS show, and I enjoy watching it. I'd prefer to have more Elvis and less fan comments, though. It reminds me of the original TTWII in that respect. There are superb performances that for one reason or another were not used in the special. These should be used if a dvd ever comes out through proper sources, but I won't hold my breath waiting. If you believe the media, Elvis weighed 300 pounds in this special and couldn't sing at all because he was too busy stumbling over the words and trying to hold onto the microphone. :cry:

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:23 am

Every man and his dog knows what happened to Elvis towards the end of his life........yes he was ill, yes he was overweight, yes some of his concerts werent up to his usual high standard, but so what.......he still tried his best and gave everything he had until he had no more to give.

If they've any respect for Elvis and his fans his last two live shows should be released on dvd ASAP.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:32 am

I say Go Ahead Release It, I want it in pristine quality and Edited, Remastered done in the fashion of the ETTWII Special Edition. ELVIS IN CONCERT is already so easily available in Indonesia, Malaysia and all over Asia on unofficial DVD. The DVD contains the Complete OMAHA and RAPID CITY Shows plus the original CBS TV Special. The quality is not that good SO I'd prefer a single disc Special Edition of the Best parts in perfect quality.

ELVIS Presley - He is the King, He will Always be The King No matter what. He is too big now and too powerful and
Nothing can hurt him or his image man..not Harum Scarum, Clambake or Elvis In Concert or Albert Goldman or Lamar Fike.. you'd better believe it

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:28 am

The problem about In Concert 77 is not that Elvis is fat. Lots of stars get fat and old. The real problem is that Elvis is slurring and clearly under the influence of drugs. He is f*cked up. Big time. He is in need of serious intervention and dying by inches on stage. If Elvis looked at this video objectively from beyond the grave, he would not want to be remembered this way.

It's depressing video footage that should never be commercially issued.

Maybe it should be released on FTD -- if at all -- but it should never be available in stores. Never.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:07 pm

Not thru one song does Elvis slur though - so if we cut all the talk and just release the songs we have a release worth waiting for.

Andy

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:18 am

The one's who are scared of seeing this on dvd have probably only ever seen it on very poor quality 3rd maybe 4th, even 5th generation copies where anyone (Elvis included) would obviously look pasty, pale (or whatever else you want to call it) due to the deteriation as each generation of copying takes place................If we had it in high quality i'm sure most of the doubters would change their minds on this.

There is absolutely NO justification for hiding away the last portion of Elvis's life from the fans who have loved him and his music through all these years.

When you love someone as we all love Elvis ( sort of in the way you love a relative for example) you love them unconditionally.........when they die you dont go and hide away their last photos, video footage etc just because they were ill, or overweight or whatever, you'll loved them for who they were, warts and all, 100% unconditionally.........whats everyone scared of for christ's sake???

You're all acting like you're ashamed of him during that time...well he wasn't ashamed, even at the end he had the balls and the dignity to get up their and sing like a bird for his fans, like he always did.

Call yourself fans, you're all hypocrits.
Last edited by the squirrel on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:21 am

So true Squirrel !!!



8)

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:41 am

Sorry, squirrel. There is plenty of justification. I don't know about the "love" stuff you talk about. I didn't know Elvis nor did I ever meet him. I love his music and consider him a great artist and he had an incredible career. Yes the movies were bad (for the most part) but tolerable in part because of how he pulled himself out of that situation. Elvis In Concert seems to be acknowledged by everyone who was around him as a mistake and the man was dead a few weeks after. I no more wish to see this released to a mainstream market than I would a tape of Elvis belching. ("Love him unconditionally"...give me a break. That's the kind of fan-aticism that helped caused his downfall.)
Last edited by ronnyg on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

EIC

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:42 am

Yes. I'm quite sure most of us fans would love to see it in great picture and sound quality.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:53 am

ronnyg wrote:I hope a picture of Elvis on the slumped over in front of his toilet never turns up. There will be a lot of people here demanding it be released to the mainstream market digitally enhanced because it is "out there already" and "part of Elvis' life."

I guess it depends where you draw the line.


Being the author of the above post its clear you have no understanding of what's actually being said here, such a preposterous suggestion renders anything else you have to contribute to this topic less than useless.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:04 am

the squirrel wrote:
ronnyg wrote:I hope a picture of Elvis on the slumped over in front of his toilet never turns up. There will be a lot of people here demanding it be released to the mainstream market digitally enhanced because it is "out there already" and "part of Elvis' life."

I guess it depends where you draw the line.


Being the author of the above post its clear you have no understanding of what's actually being said here, such a preposterous suggestion renders anything else you have to contribute to this topic less than useless.


Well said Squirrel....ronnyg's comment is patently absurd.......it's that old thing about common sense, not being to common.......

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:54 am

Of course, when you can't address the argument, it's much easier to simply dismiss it and the poster all together. However, I stand by my point. If a photograph such as this did turn up, under your "love him unconditionally" statement, the scenario I set up becomes true. It points out the absurdity of "fans" who want everything, no matter what it may cost Elvis' legacy. Therefore, the justification of something like releasing Elvis In Concert is thrown into question.

My purpose isn't to offend...just trying to make a point that I feel is valid.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:00 am

ronnyg wrote:Of course, when you can't address the argument, it's much easier to simply dismiss it and the poster all together. However, I stand by my point. If a photograph such as this did turn up, under your "love him unconditionally" statement, the scenario I set up becomes true. It points out the absurdity of "fans" who want everything, no matter what it may cost Elvis' legacy. Therefore, the justification of something like releasing Elvis In Concert is thrown into question.

My purpose isn't to offend...just trying to make a point that I feel is valid.


what do you care about a legacy when all u care about is the music? i mean like you say, u never met him personally. and oh yeah you don't like the movies. but they are tolerable since he was able to get out of them and the impact he made afterwards, whatever the hell that means.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:10 am

Since you asked so nicely for clarification, I will give it to you. If Elvis died in 1967, I don't think I could watch his films because he would have ended his career on such a low note. His career would have been pretty sad as he fell so much. However, it is easier to watch them because he persevered and pulled himself out of that situation.

His music is his legacy. That should be pretty self explanatory. Please let me know if this isn't clear enough for you. I will try to use pictures next time.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:41 am

ronnyg wrote:His music is his legacy. That should be pretty self explanatory. Please let me know if this isn't clear enough for you. I will try to use pictures next time.


EIC was all about his music. :?

8) :roll:

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:50 am

I take offence at ANYONE suggesting, either explictly or implictly, that other fans are "selfish" for wanting a release of "Elvis In Concert". Why don't we just call Elvis a greedy cretin for giving these performances, shall we? The relative strengths and merits of "Elvis In Concert" can be debated, as, indeed, they endlessly are, but making such a broad assertion is crossing a line, and it says more about the people making the remark than those they're directing it at, in my opinion. "Elvis In Concert" is his legacy, like it or lump it, and because it is the last filmed material of Elvis doing what he was born to do, it is of far greater cultural/historic/musical value than its detractors claim.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:04 am

Take offence all you want, but it's been a common refrain for years. It's not as if a place like "For Elvis CD Collectors Only" would never attract a few obsessives who want every last minute "in stores." :lol: We're all fanatics, but some fans ("collectors") do appear to be blinded by their need to have a "5.1" version of this stuff. It's never the only consideration, just as recently outtakes of "Girl Happy" got the "BMG-Denmark" treatment instead of the main label RCA/BMG/Sony release.

I can't say that it applies in all cases, but there are quite a few fans who are immune to any consideration besides their having an official "top-quality" version, nevermind that the bootleg versions are now better than ever.

Much as Madison and Fort Baxter fill the gap for certain concerts, it looks like these tapes will find a home on bootleg only and that's not the worst thing in the world. No one picks up, say, "Legendary Performer Vol. 5" and says: "but this isn't from BMG...!" The words of praise have been the same for Star's excellent TTWII and Elvis on Tour and EIC packages.

I personally find much to enjoy from selected parts of these concerts, but in Aisle 8 of "Wal-Mart" or your local DVD emporium? Not in anytime soon, friends.

And that's a good thing, for many fans, who you'll just have to agree to disagree with. Surely the advocates for an official release have to concede that this is hardly universally-flattering material and certainly "controversial" even among hard core fans. Hardly a "no-brainer," then.

And at last check, Lisa Marie is a mere 38. If she has anything to do with shaping the image of her father and his legacy, more power to her. One of Ernst's key missions (occasionally comprised, admittedly) is to put the Elvis legacy back on track.

Again, this stuff is available. Anything else is essentially bellyaching. There's no coherent case for putting this in stores. We can talk about a limited "FTD-style" issue but even then, why make it a priority?

Having just watched a DVD-R of ABC-TV's "20/20" investigation episode of the cover-up of Elvis' death from drugs as broadast in 1979 (hadn't seen it since then), I'm reminded how much the name "Elvis" for too many years became short-hand for "fat, drug addict buffoon / failure." As a fan, it was downright painful to see how sullied his memory became, and sadly, the October '77 broadcast (which I saw at the time) didn't help matters at all.

Maybe you didn't live through it, but Ernst and others have done wonders to celebrate his best moments since those grim times of the late '70s, and '80s...This Special was not one of them.

I love a great deal of it, even through the sadness of it, but I'll not say it's "unavailable." Folks, PM me if you're still having trouble getting a good copy!
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:06 am

Cryogenic wrote:I take offence at ANYONE suggesting, either explictly or implictly, that other fans are "selfish" for wanting a release of "Elvis In Concert" ... it is of far greater cultural/historic/musical value than its detractors claim.

You need to reexamine your stance. It is indeed correct to use the term "selfish" in the context of reviewing the Presley legacy.

Fact: there is a tremendous amount of unseen material from 1955 to 1975 on film and video "of far greater cultural/historic/musical value" than the tragedy caught by the CBS cameras in June, 1977.

To cry out for the latter before we've had a chance to enjoy the former is indeed selfish, not to mention short-sighted and just plain ignorant. But then, there are obviously plenty of Elvis fans who fit that description.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:02 am

I don't think most of us for a release of EIC have said when it should be released and before what, just that it should be released (but I don't mind how soon). How about we ban the CD version. It is the same performance!!!!


:roll:

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:22 am

sam wrote:I don't think anyone has said when it should be released and before what, just that it should be released. How about we ban the CD version. It is the same performance!!!!


:roll:


A point I made on another thread......the Doc obviously needs to heed some of his own advice, ie. 'read and learn'.....or moreover, read and digest..................Nurse!

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:02 pm

ronnyg wrote:Since you asked so nicely for clarification, I will give it to you. If Elvis died in 1967, I don't think I could watch his films because he would have ended his career on such a low note. His career would have been pretty sad as he fell so much. However, it is easier to watch them because he persevered and pulled himself out of that situation.

His music is his legacy. That should be pretty self explanatory. Please let me know if this isn't clear enough for you. I will try to use pictures next time.



If, if, if.............. all the if's. There arent any if's. He didnt die in 1967 and no, there aint a picture of Elvis with his face in vomit.

The thing that does excists, and is rotten away in the vaults, are 2 complete shows and additional footage. EPE shouldnt be so scared about his image. In a way they're obligated to release EIC. We buy everything: cd's, dvd's, souvernirs, visit Graceland. So they make big $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Be the thing we really want...................

Im so sick and tired of the ''image'' bull-s*hit. Not to mention:'' there is a tremendous amount of unseen material from 1955 to 1975. You keep forgetting 2 years. :roll:

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:25 pm

3577 wrote:The thing that does excists [sic], and is rotten [sic] away in the vaults, are [sic] 2 complete shows and additional footage. EPE shouldnt [sic] be so scared about his image. In a way [sic] they're obligated to release EIC. We buy everything ...

Evidently, "we" don't buy dictionaries ...

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
3577 wrote:The thing that does excists [sic], and is rotten [sic] away in the vaults, are [sic] 2 complete shows and additional footage. EPE shouldnt [sic] be so scared about his image. In a way [sic] they're obligated to release EIC. We buy everything ...

Evidently, "we" don't buy dictionaries ...


Off topic, John Boy...............NURSE!

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:53 pm

Larry Dickman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
3577 wrote:The thing that does excists [sic], and is rotten [sic] away in the vaults, are [sic] 2 complete shows and additional footage. EPE shouldnt [sic] be so scared about his image. In a way [sic] they're obligated to release EIC. We buy everything ...

Evidently, "we" don't buy dictionaries ...


Off topic, John Boy...............NURSE!


I know Larry.

When the nurse knows he's/she's wrong, it starts to be sarcastic. Sad.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:00 pm

3577 wrote:
Larry Dickman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
3577 wrote:The thing that does excists [sic], and is rotten [sic] away in the vaults, are [sic] 2 complete shows and additional footage. EPE shouldnt [sic] be so scared about his image. In a way [sic] they're obligated to release EIC. We buy everything ...

Evidently, "we" don't buy dictionaries ...


Off topic, John Boy...............NURSE!


I know Larry.

When the nurse knows he's/she's wrong, it starts to be sarcastic. Sad.


Nice take on my 'NURSE!' remark, but it is meant more along the lines of, "NURSE! Our delusional Dr Carpenter requires his medication....." :wink: