All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

The Time has come For Elvis In Concert

Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:16 am

In the past I have belonged to the school which said that the 1977 concerts should never be released on DVD.

I now believe that time as come for these historic Omaha and Rapid City concerts to be released completely, outtakes and all.

We are now at and age that no harm would be caused if Elvis is not seen at his best - if anything the public would understand and forgive him. As has been done with Johnny Cash as just one example.

I don't believe that EPE has the moral uthority to withhold this material.

It is pure censorship.

There is now no justification to hide "unpalatable" history - it's not like EPE is based in Red China :!:

EIC

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:07 am

Actually,there is a DVD out called "Love Coming Down". I watched it a few weeks ago and it's really good. It's the best quality I've seen.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:33 am

Moral authority? How about economic sense and artistic integrity? It took about 15 years to restore Elvis' credibility as an artist after the debacle that was Elvis In Concert (and the Elvis What Happened book) did their damage. There is nothing to gain and potentially a lot to lose by releasing these sets just because some people want to have everything. This material should be FTD bound, if released at all (if FTD ever does DVD's). I hope they never release this stuff to the mainstream marketplace.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:35 am

I don't believe that EPE has the moral uthority to withhold this material.

It is pure censorship.

Actually, Lisa Marie Presley has the moral authority to withhold this material. She owns it (not part of the recent EPE sale) and obviously wants to protect her father's image and reputation. If that was your own father and you cared about him, you wouldn't be so quick to loosely toss the morals of issuing such troubling footage to the side. Fans who want it can easily find decent quality bootlegs and stream it online.

EIC is not coming out anytime soon. Maybe a few highlights will appear in some form, but the complete concerts with backstage footage being released is a dream that will never come true.

EIC

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:42 am

I wonder how many fans have not watched Elvis In Concert?

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:05 am

EPE and/or Lisa may have the LEGAL authority to withhold this material but not the MORAL right to censor a major part (death!) of the career of Elvis Presley.

Exposing Elvis' last months on DVD is not going to destroy his work or repute. If you think otherwise then you have a very limited appreciation of Presley's place in American and world culture.

Not to release this material now can only suit those living in a cotton candy land still believing in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

Thank goodness RCA have never said " we won't release any outtakes 'cos Elvis wasn't at his best".

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:18 am

I have no dream about EPE releasing EIC!

Why do you want them to release it? You can easily find it on the bootleg market..

Elvis looks not good in EIC, and yes it's important, but i think they will leave this footage out of their catalouge!

The thing that we really need released on DVD is a concert maybe from 1974/1975

That's my dream

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:50 am

Releasing EIC would probably only benefit and be something for us, the hardcore fans...not at all for the casual fan. EPE isn't worried about us...they know we can "handle" it...and they know we're "mature enough" for the footage. It's for the people out there who will use the footage against the intentions.

EPE has worked long to get the "Fat Elvis' image out of the public's head. We rarely see any pictures of Elvis after 1973 anywhere near any promos or anything related to Elvis in advertising. Releasing EIC would set back all their work--30 years.

I've thought about it...there really is no good reason to release EIC, accept to satisfy almost every member on Elvis messageboards. The public could take it or leave it. How would you even advertise a box set like this? Pictures of E singing "Unchained Melody" and big letters: "Elvis' Last Shows--2 Months Before He Died!" I dunno.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:27 am

I agree that the material should be released. I agree that it did tremendous damage to Elvis' reputation but it is kind of artistically unseemly to try and pretend an artist was something that he wasn't. Plus, that cat is out of that bag. Everyone and their brother is aware of that Elvis and in many cases that is their Elvis. The momentary blip that releasing this on the public at this late date is not going to dislodge those visions. Anybody who wanted to check out Elvis' pure greatness can still watch "Jailhouse Rock" or "Elvis-56" or the '68 TV Special or even "Viva Las Vegas."

I know when I watch Brando in something like 1999's debacle "Free Money" it doesn't make "On the Waterfront" one bit less stunning.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:00 am

likethebike wrote:I know when I watch Brando in something like 1999's debacle "Free Money" it doesn't make "On the Waterfront" one bit less stunning.

Bingo!
Great point.
EPE are trying to rewrite history....CBS happened....Elvis agreed to do it, obviously for the financial benefit but i'm also sure he thought he had something to offer.

Where are all the revisionists when Clambake, Harum Scarum, Easy Come Easy Go, Girls Girls Girls, Double Trouble et al, are being re-released for the hundreth time......surely these releases harm the artisic credibility of Elvis Presley?

What about the sh*t EPE release ie. ducks, sauces(?!), plates, dolls, jumpsuits, credit cards?.....Speak up revisionists!

As likethebike said, the cat is out of the bag folks.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:31 am

ronnyg wrote:Moral authority? How about economic sense and artistic integrity? It took about 15 years to restore Elvis' credibility as an artist after the debacle that was Elvis In Concert (and the Elvis What Happened book) did their damage. There is nothing to gain and potentially a lot to lose by releasing these sets just because some people want to have everything. This material should be FTD bound, if released at all (if FTD ever does DVD's). I hope they never release this stuff to the mainstream marketplace.

''...................some people want to have everything.''

Is that a crime or something? If youre a E-fan (collector), its all the way for me. 100%. Its not the fact of ''i want or must have it all''. His career started in 1954 and ends in 1977.

Some artists of today are looking worse while they're in good health. EIC is not that bad as people wants it to be.

Its fun, but im actually not waiting for the latest release ''25th Anniversary Concert''. Still, i hope for a official release of EIC during my lifetime.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:57 am

A CBS dvd may succeed, only if heavily edited..
Stage set up & sound check footage/backstage footage, followed by Omaha & Rapid City highlights only (max 15 songs..)

An unedited release would be very damaging imo :(
Remember that an official dvd with great sound automatically pimps up the performance compared to the crappy soundboard sound available now.
I showed some Omaha footage to non fans, and they thought Elvis looked better than expected! Can you believe it? :shock:
Omaha is getting painfull with all the puzzling monologues (the talking in Rapid City is even worse)

Cheers, RJ

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:06 am

Release it.
Really, there is not going to be any damage.
This is an old show and everyone knows that it´s not EP in the 50:s...
The "fear" for this release that some have has no ground...

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:16 am

Perception is everything - reality counts for very little.

A mainstream release just wouldn't sell enough copies to warrant the release, it'd make a loss.

Thankfully.

EPE sells enough crap these days purely because it does make money, and has done for some time now. If they could have made any money out of releasing this they would have done it. As it is it would not only make a direct loss but the impact on the restored image might also cause more long term loss.

The only way they'd ever be able to let the fans that want it have it without making it a public release is to let it filter out in poor quality on the bootleg market and turn a blind eye.

I may be right I may be wrong. But what have they done so far ?

FTD DVD

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:50 am

If the policy for FTD CDs was to release material to the hard core fans that would not be commercially viable on the mainstream label WHY cant this philosophy be true for a CBS’77 (SE) release on the FTD label - I’m sure whatever high price tag they choose we would find the money and Ernst has never ruled out FTD DVD releases in the future. As mentioned on this thread the Star dvd ‘Love Coming Down’ shows just how good this could be!

Why not make it a Book with DVD release. This would make the high price tag seem more palletable.

We have so little professionally shot concert footage of Elvis’ later years I think its a shame its being sold in sub-par quality by everyone except the people who own it. If you look on ebay its everywhere in every possible cvr art and track listing.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:59 am

Steve_M:
Perception is everything - reality counts for very little.

Might try that on my bank tommorrow, Steve.......... :lol:

Steve_M:
A mainstream release just wouldn't sell enough copies to warrant the release, it'd make a loss.

How do you know Steve? His B movies obviously sell, so I am sure a NEW release with "2 Hours of Unreleased Footage from Elvis' Final Tour" might move a few copies.........

And what of these aformentioned B movies Steve, surely they do his artistic reputation no favours?

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:05 pm

Robert wrote:I showed some Omaha footage to non fans, and they thought Elvis looked better than expected! Can you believe it? :shock:
Omaha is getting painfull with all the puzzling monologues (the talking in Rapid City is even worse)

Cheers, RJ

Tell you what: I proudly tried to show TTWII SE to my wife. Reaction: Ah, this is, where he became fat. !!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

(No, we are still married.)

When I watched Omaha and Rapid City for the first time, I did it in the middle of the night when I thought her asleep. She wasn't and joined me. Reaction: Given that this were his last days he looks (!!!! :?: ) surprisingly good and still sounds impressive. She watched both shows and has never found a bad word for them so far.

(Maybe she was happy, that it was only an Elvis DVD I was watching in the middle of the night... :wink: )

So I think, you see what you expect. The original CBS show is so badly edited that IMO there is no way for an official release. The reactions of the fans are so weired: I always have the impression, that some fans actually laugh at Elvis.

But a properly edited DVD with the highlights of both concerts, explaining liner notes and a short bonus section about his live and his last days would do no harm. IMO such things like the unedited Unchained Meldoy on Great Performances do more harm, as everybody will compare it directly to the other performances where he was slim.

Peter

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 pm

Steve_M wrote:Perception is everything - reality counts for very little.

Thankfully.

EPE sells enough crap these days purely because it does make money, and has done for some time now. If they could have made any money out of releasing this they would have done it. As it is it would not only make a direct loss but the impact on the restored image might also cause more long term loss.

The only way they'd ever be able to let the fans that want it have it without making it a public release is to let it filter out in poor quality on the bootleg market and turn a blind eye.

I may be right I may be wrong. But what have they done so far ?

What exactly is ''restored image''? With or without a possible release of EIC, there always be people who see E as fat drug-addict who played only in Vegas wearing carnival suits.

Really, it wont change nothing.

I want it

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:57 pm

I WANT IT BAD!!!! But no, there shouldnt be an offical release. As someone said, it took years to restore Elvis image. It would ruin it again if this release sa the light of day...

Re: I want it

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:11 pm

Rockin_John wrote:I WANT IT BAD!!!! But no, there shouldnt be an offical release. As someone said, it took years to restore Elvis image. It would ruin it again if this release sa the light of day...

What, is Elvis' last year or two a big secret? I think everyone knows already.
I don't think it could do any harm.
Elvis was/is larger than life!!

8)

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Musically, it's no worse than Aloha. It's only the appearance that's a little off.

Just get on with it. Release complete Omaha, complete Rapid City, and all backstage/airport footage in pristine quality. I'm fed up of waiting.

Re: I want it

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:20 pm

Rockin_John wrote:I WANT IT BAD!!!! But no, there shouldnt be an offical release. As someone said, it took years to restore Elvis image. It would ruin it again if this release sa the light of day...

Indeed, it would destroy Elvis' re-build image. Fairytale's.......fairytale's are for kids.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:29 pm

No, its not a fairytale. I love Elvis through all the years and I wolud love to have the material on offical DVDs in perfect quality.

But my opinon is that everybody knows Elvis of 1977, but the difference is, when you mention Elvis now the first thing that pops up in peoples head is Rock N Roll, Elvis in black Leather, Elvis with sideburns from the 50's, shakin his legs.

My fear is that if "In Concert" is released, people will start to think,
"Hmm, Elvis, that is the fat guy in a too tight white jumpsuit shakin his head to Hound Dog and screaming ahhh... and forgetting the lyrics to Are You Lonesome Tonight... :shock:

Dont get me wrong, I sure would love to have the complete shows in prefect quality. And I would watch it 24 hours a day...... :lol:

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:55 pm

Rockin_John wrote:when you mention Elvis now the first thing that pops up in peoples head is Rock N Roll, Elvis in black Leather, Elvis with sideburns from the 50's, shakin his legs.

Not on this planet.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:26 pm

Larry Dickman. wrote:
Rockin_John wrote:when you mention Elvis now the first thing that pops up in peoples head is Rock N Roll, Elvis in black Leather, Elvis with sideburns from the 50's, shakin his legs.

Not on this planet.

Rockin_John, I wish that were true. We fans constantly have to remind people of the EP of that era. The jumpsuit era is firmly ingrained into the social consciousness of North America, through impersonators and the zillion times "thankyou, thankyou very much" has been said in countless commercials, and just everywhere we go. I dare say that expression is known world-wide. If people associated Elvis from TTWII with the seventies, it wouldn't be a problem.