All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Audio of Ernst's remarks during Elvis Week

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:15 am

Click here to listen to Ernst's remarks at the Elvis Insiders 2006 Conference. (The godawful electronic chattering is present in the original source from EPE, but in spite of it Ernst can be heard clearly throughout.)

As usual, if you have trouble listening to the recording live, right-click on the link and save target to your desktop.
Last edited by elvissessions on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks, man. Always a pleasure to hear / read interviews with Ernst. I respect him so much it's ridiculous, and he seems to be a very nice man, too.

Anyway, what does he say about the MDQ sessions? He says they find the tapes in "Elvis' own xxxx that was lost many years ago". Well? Elvis' own what? And were there more tapes in there? Most important of all, was there a tape of "Feelings" in there?! :D

...the MDQ sessions, "His Hand In Mine", "Writing for The King", the 1961 Hawaii concert with lots of photos...

Can't wait to hear and see all these new releases!!!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:39 am

I can't wait too :wink:

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:21 pm

"Elvis' own copy of it that was lost many years ago"

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:34 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:"Elvis' own copy of it that was lost many years ago"

Doh!! I was hoping that they had found a whole bunch of tapes locked away somewhere... :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:48 pm

Great! So we will get the 1963 PJ Proby demo of "Slowly But Surely" -- I've been waiting for nearly eight years to hear it, ever since Ernst gave it a rave in "A Life In Music." No mention of the 1954 "Without You" demo, that one's like trying to find the Golden Fleece ...

An improved 1961 Hawaiian disc will be of great interest -- that's one of the best shows we have of Elvis in concert, period. It is here we have an artist at his peak, with a killer band and a tremendous set list. Did I mention the insane crowd?

Thanks, ES.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 pm

Tapes of the "Without You" demo are out there in private hands. In 1992, 48 Hours did a special episode on Elvis and a few tantalizing seconds of the demo by the mysterious young singer were played.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:13 pm

likethebike wrote:Tapes of the "Without You" demo are out there in private hands. In 1992, 48 Hours did a special episode on Elvis and a few tantalizing seconds of the demo by the mysterious young singer were played.

Yes, I have a copy of that snippet and it is spooky. Whether the entire May 1954 demo was copied to tape is unknown. But after 52 years, we deserve to hear it -- without that acetate, Sam Phillips doesn't have Marion Keisker call Elvis on June 26 to try and make a professional SUN recording.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:56 pm

Looks like Ernst spent most of his time fending off the critics of BMG's new genre compilation series among the collectors. I know this subject was heavily discussed on this message board as well, and perhaps such an explanation was given as a result of that. People still don't seem to understand what BMG is all about...

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:38 am

thenexte wrote:Looks like Ernst spent most of his time fending off the critics of BMG's new genre compilation series among the collectors. I know this subject was heavily discussed on this message board as well, and perhaps such an explanation was given as a result of that. People still don't seem to understand what BMG is all about...

I guess they never will. Ernst has been saying this for years and years and people are still moaning...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:25 am

I understand exactly what Ernst tell us about all those BMG releases.

I know the genre cd's can be nice for those who's actually not fans, and then they can be more interested .. But, do they need to have so many different complication cd's?

The new cd's sound very interesting to me! (Listen to sound samples now) Fantastic sound

Well, we have to be glad for all Ernst do for us in the FTD label.. That's what we fans need.. :wink:

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:26 am

FlamingStar wrote:I understand exactly what Ernst tell us about all those BMG releases.

I know the genre cd's can be nice for those who's actually not fans, and then they can be more interested .. But, do they need to have so many different complication cd's?

My question is why are there only six genre collections? What happened to "Elvis Peace", "Elvis Christmas", "Elvis Folk", "Elvis Blues", "Elvis Americana", "Elvis Ballads"? It's all about saturation, folks, that's what the ol' Colonel used to say in 'dem golden days and he sure knew a thing or two about selling his boy to the masses.
Last edited by thenexte on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:52 am

We need more compilations like: Elvis- "music to tan with"(a hit with the cruise lines?), Elvis at night (songs like "City By Night" etc.), Elvis Smorgasboard (title song plus 11 other taken out of a hat!) . :lol:

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:53 am

Elvis Smorgasbord: I like that idea. The tracklisting would have unlimited possibilities.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:58 am

Since Ernst checks the messageboard sometimes, here's my suggestion for an FTD release.

A dual disc set containing the soundboards from the Jan 26. 1970 opening show and the Feb. 23, 1970 closing show (especially if the last few tracks from the 23rd show are available). With cool pics from this season and a behind the scenes section, it could be a killer set. A suggested title would be: Opening and Closing Vegas.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:42 pm

Great news about His Hand in Mine for sure...but I have to ask:

Have we not had enough early albums redone on FTD already so as to warrant a release of Raised on Rock or Promised Land *before* His Hand in Mine?

Nots ure how excited I am about "Writing for the King", but of course the Sun box would be incredible!

Axe

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:31 pm

Axeman wrote:Have we not had enough early albums redone on FTD already so as to warrant a release of Raised on Rock or Promised Land *before* His Hand in Mine?

It depends. I would love to see all the 70s albums released in the Classic Series - but only if they get a real sound-guru and a real Jumpsuit Junkie to work on them. "Elvis Today" didn't sound too spectacular compared to these early albums which Kevan and Sebastian have worked on (and the front cover was messed up, too) and the booklet to "On Stage In Memphis" was totally uninspired, nowhere near the downright beautiful booklets to things like "Elvis Is Back!" and "Harum Scarum" (man, I adore those releases!). They need to treat the 70s albums with the same care and dedication as the early albums. Otherwise it's pointless to release them at all in my opinion.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:04 pm

Axeman wrote:Great news about His Hand in Mine for sure...but I have to ask:

Have we not had enough early albums redone on FTD already so as to warrant a release of Raised on Rock or Promised Land *before* His Hand in Mine?

Nots ure how excited I am about "Writing for the King", but of course the Sun box would be incredible!

Axe

I personally do not believe any more 70's albums are slated for release in this series, as the release of "Made in Memphis" has clearly shown FTD has departed from that idea and is focusing its efforts entirely on the huge number of 50's and 60's classic albums where a vast array of unreleased session material actually does exist. Furthermore, as most of the 70's albums remain in print through the various BMG reissues (some of them only a few years old), I would imagine these will at some point simply be upgraded to DSD on the main label, which is another reason that would make their release on FTD not really a viable idea.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:18 pm

thenexte wrote:I personally do not believe any more 70's albums are slated for release in this series, as the release of "Made in Memphis" has clearly shown FTD has departed from that idea and is focusing its efforts entirely on the huge number of 50's and 60's classic albums where a vast array of unreleased session material actually does exist. Furthermore, as most of the 70's albums remain in print through the various BMG reissues (some of them only a few years old), I would imagine these will at some point simply be upgraded to DSD on the main label, which is another reason that would make their release on FTD not really a viable idea.

While some may still be in print, I believe that there are more outtakes in the can (though admittedly not much more)...my main thing is an opportunity to hear these tracks undubbed, similar to what we heard on the Today FTD. Though hopefully in better sound.
I don't believe that FTD would pass up a chance to release all the previously issued alternate takes on one compilation. I also can't see FTD just ignoring Elvis' 70's catalog...

Axe

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:27 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
thenexte wrote:Looks like Ernst spent most of his time fending off the critics of BMG's new genre compilation series among the collectors. I know this subject was heavily discussed on this message board as well, and perhaps such an explanation was given as a result of that. People still don't seem to understand what BMG is all about...

I guess they never will. Ernst has been saying this for years and years and people are still moaning...

Keith Richards, Jr.

"Moaning"? It's with good reason, my friends, although with retail not being what it is and pure fatigue, I have to say Ernst's comments at least acknowledge our discontent. The moment when he reveals that there will be yet another "new" Christmas album was priceless.

He's doing a better a job of explaining it, I'll grant that. As great as he has been on FTD and the main label for a long time, people have responded to the trivialization of his main label (RCA/Sony/BMG) releases for some time now.

To be critical, it seemshe's now backtracking from the comments made almost ten years ago about bringing sanity and respect back to the catalog.

From a July 31,1997 Knight-Ridder article by Dan DeLuca at the time of the then-new "Platinum" boxset:

"Back in 1986, when the German-based Bertelsmann Music Group (BMG) bought RCA and its rights to Presley's music, "the idea was to sell Elvis for $7.99," said Jorgensen, speaking last week from his native Denmark. Presley was thought of as a square, relegated to the oldies bins, exiles from rock radio playlists.

"The target buyer was a woman between 35 and 55. She was a housewife married to a blue-collar worker in the South," Jorgensen said. And the way to reach her, the strategy went, was to flood stores with low-quality budget hits collections.

Jorgensen and his British production partner, Roger Semon, had a different idea.

"We thought if his music was respected and presented properly, that Elvis...couch reach a much broader audience, (the same people) who would also buy the Beatles and Led Zeppelin."

Jorgensen's belief was born out at the cash register: "The King of Rock'n' Roll" (the '50s boxset) sold 320,000 copies in the United States alone, despite its $79 price tag. And though subsequent boxes devoted to the '60s and '70s didn't sell as well, they weren't expect to.

"you can only change the world once," he said.

Plus, the '60 and '70s sets continued the mission that has been handed over to "Platinum": to correct contemporary music fans' perception of Elvis Presley.

"For the first ten years after he died, it was all ridicule," Jorgensen said. "Elvis was the guy who in the '50s was the king of rock and roll, in the '60s made bad movies, and in the '70s was fat and died. But he made a lot of good recordings all those years"....

While the "genre" sets make a certain amount of sense, I still maintain that it would be better to not flog his catalog as we don't see the same thing with most other acts of his stature. But Elvis has always been a big money maker, be it records or trinkets so I suppose I shouldn't have hoped for more wisdom. Unless they add a lot of new value to the X-mas set, I think it's getting a little embarrassing.

Thanks for the posting the audio, ES!

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:40 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:

Keith Richards, Jr.

"Moaning"? It's with good reason, my friends, although with retail not being what it is and pure fatigue, I have to say Ernst's comments at least acknowledge our discontent. The moment when he reveals that there will be yet another "new" Christmas album was priceless.

He's doing a better a job of explaining it, I'll grant that. As great as he has been on FTD and the main label for a long time, people have responded to the trivialization of his main label (RCA/Sony/BMG) releases for some time now.

To be critical, it seemshe's now backtracking from the comments made almost ten years ago about bringing sanity and respect back to the catalog.

From a July 31,1997 Knight-Ridder article by Dan DeLuca at the time of the then-new "Platinum" boxset:

"Back in 1986, when the German-based Bertelsmann Music Group (BMG) bought RCA and its rights to Presley's music, "the idea was to sell Elvis for $7.99," said Jorgensen, speaking last week from his native Denmark. Presley was thought of as a square, relegated to the oldies bins, exiles from rock radio playlists.

"The target buyer was a woman between 35 and 55. She was a housewife married to a blue-collar worker in the South," Jorgensen said. And the way to reach her, the strategy went, was to flood stores with low-quality budget hits collections.

Jorgensen and his British production partner, Roger Semon, had a different idea.

"We thought if his music was respected and presented properly, that Elvis...couch reach a much broader audience, (the same people) who would also buy the Beatles and Led Zeppelin."

Jorgensen's belief was born out at the cash register: "The King of Rock'n' Roll" (the '50s boxset) sold 320,000 copies in the United States alone, despite its $79 price tag. And though subsequent boxes devoted to the '60s and '70s didn't sell as well, they weren't expect to.

"you can only change the world once," he said.

Plus, the '60 and '70s sets continued the mission that has been handed over to "Platinum": to correct contemporary music fans' perception of Elvis Presley.

"For the first ten years after he died, it was all ridicule," Jorgensen said. "Elvis was the guy who in the '50s was the king of rock and roll, in the '60s made bad movies, and in the '70s was fat and died. But he made a lot of good recordings all those years"....

While the "genre" sets make a certain amount of sense, I still maintain that it would be better to not flog his catalog as we don't see the same thing with most other acts of his stature. But Elvis has always been a big money maker, be it records or trinkets so I suppose I shouldn't have hoped for more wisdom. Unless they add a lot of new value to the X-mas set, I think it's getting a little embarrassing.

Thanks for the posting the audio, ES!

Greg, I doubt BMG and Ernst just put out these compiles to piss u and other fans off. They release what the market demands. If Elvis is Back and SFE doesn't sell, it doesn't sell!! This is what the stupid public likes apparently. The FTD label is for us, and all the goodies that come with it. Its that simple, isnt it??

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:14 am

Kylan wrote:Greg, I doubt BMG and Ernst just put out these compiles to piss u and other fans off. They release what the market demands. If Elvis is Back and SFE doesn't sell, it doesn't sell!! This is what the stupid public likes apparently. The FTD label is for us, and all the goodies that come with it. Its that simple, isnt it??

That's a mispresentation of my argument, Kylan and it's not that simple.

As I've explained countless times, there is more than one market strategy and to assume that those who who like Elvis' album catalog respected (like many other artists) and not flogged is not to make a utopian argument.

I think in the long and short term, it is short-sighted. I still see multiple versions of Elvis' Christmas albums still in the racks every year, including 2002's "Christmas Peace." 2006 will see yet another "new" Christmas album "from Elvis." :roll: Now that's sheer genius, huh?

By the way, Ernst mentions in passing that the genre sets will whet the appetite for new fans to pursue things like "Elvis Is Back." Given that it's out of print, good luck to that! :lol:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:48 am

well look, Elvis has never been when he was alive, or ever will be an album oriented artist. He isn't the you know who.. lol He is a singles driven artist. Sure he made some great and cool albums, you know that and I know that but joe blow on the street doesn't care. The general public want the hits, not albums. Elvis is not seen in that light, and no matter how cool u wrap these albums up and put a pretty bow on it, apparently they still don't sell. These compilations do, obviously bouncing off the success of the #1 Hits and 2nd to None cds that were big sellers.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:41 am

Interestingly enough, it appears that "Reconsider Baby" on the new R&B genre collection is a brand new DSD 2006 remaster and to be honest the sound is absolutely stunning (mastered by Vic Anesini), although I haven't compared it to the FTD set yet, which probably sounds a bit more laid back. I would not be surprised at all if "Elvis is back" would make it back into the main catalog as a DSD upgrade to the BMG reissue, all newly mastered by Vic Anesini.

P.S.: The "Loving You" BMG reissue came out in 1997 and was upgraded in 2005, so given that the "Elvis is back" BMG reissue came out in 1999, it should be upgraded in 2007, right? There must be something coming out next year other than Elvis genre collections (you would think)...

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:49 am

thenexte wrote:Interestingly enough, it appears that "Reconsider Baby" on the new R&B genre collection is a brand new DSD 2006 remaster and to be honest the sound is absolutely stunning (mastered by Vic Anesini), although I haven't compared it to the FTD set yet, which probably sounds a bit more laid back. I would not be surprised at all if "Elvis is back" would make it back into the main catalog as a DSD upgrade to the BMG reissue, all newly mastered by Vic Anesini.

P.S.: The "Loving You" BMG reissue came out in 1997 and was upgraded in 2005, so given that the "Elvis is back" BMG reissue came out in 1999, it should be upgraded in 2007, right? There must be something coming out next year other than Elvis genre collections (you would think)...

but its my understanding that the Elvis Presley, Elvis and Loving You reissues that came out first of the year didn't sell. so i believe they are abandoning that concept in favor of genre comps.