All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:02 am

I have just recieved my copy and it's the best concert I have ever heard :shock: :shock:

And then I woke up... :(

Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:01 pm

YDKM wrote:looks like a VERY interesting release(after reading liner note excerpt and viewing the cover!)

The cover is a little different, isn't it? I like it.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:36 pm

Rob wrote:The cover is a little different, isn't it? I like it.

The art seems to be thoughtful. Unfortunately, the subject looks more than a little "out there." But I'm sure the show is at least as good as 28 Sep '74. Maybe better!

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: But I'm sure the show is at least as good as 28 Sep '74. Maybe better!

Just a feeling or you read about it somewhere....??

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:01 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Just a feeling or you read about it somewhere....??

You might call it a ... "tender" feeling.

Feelings, nothing more than feeeeee - lings.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:05 pm

Doc....you have feeee - lings...really... :lol:

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:06 pm

well said Doc..... i think we may well find with this CD a 'myth' will be busted- sure it's bad show, but NO-WHERE near as bad as people have been saying for years. :wink:

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:37 pm

This will be a hot topic when "Chaos in College Park" is out..
This stuff gets more attention than the average FTD release.

I'm guilty also.. can't wait to step into the time machine and beam myself to the Cole Field House, September 27th 1974.. :smt030

Cheers, RJ

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:39 pm

Like Dr. John, I am not excited by this release. I have the September 28, 1974 show in collection as part of the Profile box set and it pains me to listen to the show. In fact, I have listened to it maybe 5 times since I got it in 2000.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:52 am

YDKM wrote:well said Doc..... i think we may well find with this CD a 'myth' will be busted- sure it's bad show, but NO-WHERE near as bad as people have been saying for years. :wink:

OK, you're pushing this upcoming CD release like nobody's business -- for some reason -- but you should be aware my prediction is ironic, not literal.

The 9/28/74 College Park show is a comlete embarassment, a real disaster coming hard on the heels of the horrific 9/2/74 CS in Vegas.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:19 am

The 9/28/74 College Park show is a comlete embarassment, a real disaster coming hard on the heels of the horrific 9/2/74 CS in Vegas.

This is an example of over-dramatazation.

I have the previous day's show on tape but its so poor sound quality that I can't make out hardly anything, so I am looking forward to hearing this show to hear what's up.

Do you really think Elvis would be embarassed by these shows?

I would wager he would be more embarassed by "Paradise H. Style" or "Easy come Easy go".

Another thing to consider about the
"desert storm " show you hate is that he had just recieved his 8th deg. black belt. He was feeling alittle macho and tough because of this.
He was in very much of a show off mood and also his trash talk was just that. yes probably brought on by medication but alot of guys act the same way when are feeling good about themselves.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:44 am

ekenee wrote:Do you really think Elvis would be embarassed by these shows? I would wager he would be more embarassed by "Paradise H. Style" or "Easy come Easy go".

Yes. And I would take that wager in a heartbeat.

There is a huge difference between making lackluster musicals for the cinemas and walking on a concert stage wasted on prescription drugs.

Why do you think Glen Hardin wept when he heard portions of the Desert Storm "import"? Because he was forced to remember Elvis at his worst. And because he knew how this story ends.

I own every known soundboard (and several more besides), not to mention hundreds of audience recordings, and Elvis never sounds more "drunk" than the 9/28/74 recording. It's painful to listen to it.

And his shocking monologues on 9/2/74, which accompany some very strange vocal renditions of Presley stage standards, is not excused by claims of feeling "macho."

You're deceiving yourself.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Do you really think Elvis would be embarassed by these shows? I would wager he would be more embarassed by "Paradise H. Style" or "Easy come Easy go".

Yes. And I would take that wager in a heartbeat.

There is a huge difference between making lackluster musicals for the cinemas and walking on a concert stage wasted on prescription drugs.

Why do you think Glen Hardin wept when he heard portions of the Desert Storm "import"? Because he was forced to remember Elvis at his worst. And because he knew how this story ends.

I've heard every known soundboard, not to mention hundreds of audience recordings, and Elvis never sounds more "drunk" than the 9/28/74 recording. It's painful to listen to it.

And his shocking monologues on 9/2/74, which accompany some very strange vocal renditions of Presley stage standards, is not excused by claims of feeling "macho."

You're deceiving yourself.

Well folks, if the consensus was the show was our guy at his worst, then where the phuck was the Colonel to take charge? I don't want to read that it was EP's fault, because clearly he was at the point where something needed to be done by the only person that could do it, the man booking his concerts, the man who controlled him.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:01 am

Joe Car wrote:Well folks, if the consensus was the show was our guy at his worst, then where the phuck was the Colonel to take charge? I don't want to read that it was EP's fault, because clearly he was at the point where something needed to be done by the only person that could do it, the man booking his concerts, the man who controlled him.

Both shows are obviously very well recieved by the audience..
How do you tell Elvis, pretty out of it(!), he just messed up? (after all the cheers he just recieved)

Not an easy task huh..?

Some guys tried though over the years, including the Colonel.. without great results.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:16 am

I think what makes this release so interesting is that we donĀ“t know what we get.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:45 pm

:shock: yeah absolutely right ciscoking, but the audience sure sound like they are enjoying themselves! :P

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Interesting....I had forgotten that "suicide theory." What is that exactly, merely among some fans or has someone actually written about it at length?

While it's true (as seen at the end of "Careless Love" and other sources)that Elvis was apparently wracked with thoughts of how he would face his audiences now that the truth was out, we may never know if that led him to over-due it with the drugs. I was under the impression that he always had a lot of drugs flowing through him in the last years and it was just a matter of time...

True but it is also pointed out in "Careless Love" that right before he died that Elvis visited a Dentist and requested codine...I can't remember exactly how it goes but the thought was that Elvis new that mixing codine with his current batch of drugs would kill him.

I don't have it exactly right but the thought is there...

bpd

Codeine

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:09 pm

Well do not expect that codeine can kill one so easily, even in mixture with other stuff. I do not have my articles here but lethal dose of codeine is rather big.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:19 pm

Just an observation...

Some Elvis material sells simply because it is great...and people want to see how great.

Then there is the Elvis material sells simply because it is bad...and people want to see how bad.

...but it sells. The only thing that bothers me is that this is being marketed as bad...not a good sign.

bpd

Re: Codeine

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:24 pm

deadringer wrote:Well do not expect that codeine can kill one so easily, even in mixture with other stuff. I do not have my articles here but lethal dose of codeine is rather big.

I'm not really pushing the idea of suicide as much as pointing out that Peter G gave some thought to the suicide theory in his book "Careless Love" maybe I'm remembering the codine thing wrong.

bpd
Last edited by bpd on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:32 pm

bpd wrote:Just an observation...

Some Elvis material sells simply because it is great...and people want to see how great.

Then there is the Elvis material sells simply because it is bad...and people want to see how bad.

...but it sells. The only thing that bothers me is that this is being marketed as bad...not a good sign.

bpd

Very well put. Unfortunately we live in an age now where people are desperate to make a buck, so some don't care about what damage it can do. These truly are treacherous times.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:12 pm

haha! you make me laugh! "these are truly tretcherous times!" what about August 1974 when your working the showroom and your boss is out front selling 'Having fun on stage" a collection of burps,gaffs and edited talking which is pretty embarressing! I don't see College Park any worse than that... and Besides on Dragonheart FTD a couple of sub-par College Park tracks were included on an official FTD!! no with only 23 days to go 32nd anniversary of College Park might even help to 'set the record' straight!

Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:29 pm

YDKM wrote:what about August 1974 when your working the showroom and your boss is out front selling 'Having fun on stage" a collection of burps,gaffs and edited talking which is pretty embarressing!

It is quite sad when you actually think about it that way, isn't it?

YDKM wrote:I don't see College Park any worse than that.

Neither did any of the fans in the Fieldhouse that night. They gave him one huge ovation after another.

It is only when one has the opportunity to listen to the actual show over and over, that they can see beyond the stage lights and jumpsuits and actually hear the true quality of the performance.

I had the same blinders on during the Louisville show on May 21, 1977.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:30 pm

Rob wrote:
YDKM wrote:what about August 1974 when your working the showroom and your boss is out front selling 'Having fun on stage" a collection of burps,gaffs and edited talking which is pretty embarressing!

It is quite sad when you actually think about it that way, isn't it?

YDKM wrote:I don't see College Park any worse than that.

Neither did any of the fans in the Fieldhouse that night. They gave him one huge ovation after another.

It is only when one has the opportunity to listen to the actual show over and over, that they can see beyond the stage lights and jumpsuits and actually hear the true quality of the performance.

I had the same blinders on during the Louisville show on May 21, 1977.

Careful Rob, the darksider's will be on you like ants on rice, especially when you admit to wearing "blinders". See, these guys would have us believe that they sold these "rose-colored glasses" before the concert started. :lol:

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:42 am

the thing that 'saved' Elvis's worst shows and poorer 1977 shows is that just occasionally he would sing with a voice so clear and strong that you get 'spellbound' and amazed by 1 performance that makes even the worst shows 'worthwhile' Even reviewers admit this was the case with 'America' at the Houston 28.8.76 show and with My Way at the Providence 23.5.77 show and obviously with How Great Thou Art in Omaha 19.6.77 show :lol: