All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Chaos in College Park

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:15 pm

From our all favourite page, elvisnews.com:

"The rumors about the show of 27 September (8.30 pm), 1974 in College Park, Maryland seem to be true. The Straight Arrow label should release this show by the end of the month under the title “Chaos in College Park” (Straight Arrow SA 2006-4-02), according to Elvis’s musicians one of his worst shows ever.

The track listing:

01. Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from "2001 A Space Odyssey")
02. Opening Vamp / C. C. Rider
03. I Got A Woman / Amen (medley)
04. Love Me
05. If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
06. It's Midnight
07. Big Boss Man
08. Fever
09. Love Me Tender
10. Hound Dog
11. Bridge Over Troubled Water
12. Polk Salad Annie
13. Band Introductions
14. Lead Guitar Solo (by James Burton)
15. Drums Solo (by Ronnie Tutt)
16. Bass Solo (by Duke Bardwell)
17. Piano Solo (by Glen D. Hardin)
18. Killing Me Softly (by Voice)
19. Why Me Lord
20. All Shook Up
21. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
22. Hawaiian Wedding Song
23. How Great Thou Art
24. Can't Help Falling In Love
25. Closing Vamp / Announcements"

I hope this is gonna by in the same style (and sound quality!!!) than the previous two SA releases.

Maybe we will hear that this show wasn't that bad at all? Maybe the rumour about this being a bad show is as untrue as the one that Asheville audiences "didn't respond"?

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:35 pm

I am looking forward to this one. A very important release IMO.

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:01 pm

One thing is that it has a really good set list.

Re: Chaos in College Park

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:03 pm

Thomas wrote:Maybe we will hear that this show wasn't that bad at all? Maybe the rumour about this being a bad show is as untrue as the one that Asheville audiences "didn't respond"?

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking: all the evidence points to a cringeworthy experience.

However, I believe that the statement (often repeated) "College Park let it be known they would not have him back" doesn't hold water.

Or does someone know for sure?

College Park

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:13 pm

::: College Park let it be known they would not have him back" doesn't hold water.

- this is of course deleted - see guidelines #2 Commercially it was very successfull show. Both shows were sold out as usually and audience was wild and satisfied...

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:28 pm

Looking forward to this one - should be very interesting. Straight Arrow do a first class job on their releases, and I anticipate a great booklet as well as an "entertaining" CD :D

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:17 am

:lol: All the above posts are 100% CORRECT...i am prepared to state that worst song is a murdered version of 'Bridge over'(but then audio tape collectors have known that for decades! and a surpringly good version of 'How Great Thou Art' HEAPS better than next night. With the 'Straight Arrow' reliable QUALITY this will be 1 CD i won't miss for my collection! Recommened to any Elvis serious Fan.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:17 am

There's no reason for the people who were there to be deceitful about this show. And it's a bad night before Elvis even makes it backstage, falling flat on his face getting out of the limousine. This man should've been in a hospital, not a whirlwind US tour.

Having heard, and been horrified by, the second night at College Park on September 28, this impending release does not inspire. A great set list is meaningless if the artist is mentally and physically out of it.

One assumes "Straight Arrow" -- ironic label name -- is putting this one out for historical reasons only, and are not deluding anyone with the idea that this is a "great" performance.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:23 am

Yes, you are right. I have heard the second CP show and I wasn't impressed at all. The tracklist seems to be good there, too. But the artist was clearly not up to presenting the songs the way he should have done it. If the first CP show is even worse, than it's got to be a bad show. Neverthenless you'll hear a lot of fans telling everybody that the show was good and you would thought the same way if you had only been there.....

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:32 am

As bad as it is said to be, i hope its in much better sound quality than the present release of the show. I heard a sample of 'Its midnight', and it was really bad quality.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:36 am

I can't wait to hear the 1976 afternoon show in Houston.

Elvis' career has always had its share of rumors and opinions.

I don't go by what others say because I want to make up my mind on my own.

Example would be the desert storm show of 1974. Many of ya don't like it, but I like it just fine.

I think college park will be better than the Omaha 77 show. How much its hard say. Hopefully the sound will be improved so we can at least hear what is going on.

1974 was one of his biggest touring years. No studio time at all.
And this show was near the end of the tours. How could anyone keep up the pace he did back then? I look at the scheduling and it was one night after the next. Why didn't the colonel throw in a day off every 3rd day or so?

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:13 am

no i don't think 'straight arrow'(label name taken from Elvis's comment 2nd night in College Park) are deluding anyone.....it's a bad show complete(for the first time) in great audience sound with both some awful and some good performances... i have only heard bits so far but it should be collected by interested fans for 'historical purposes'...of cource any reviews or comments by the sheer nature of the show in question are certain to be controversial and bring out great comments for a long thread once released :roll:

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:39 am

I am certainly not deluding myself that it is going to be a great show!!

But it sure is going to be interesting. It is endlessly fascinating to find the "gems" even in the midst of a bad performance. There always are some, and I doubt that this show will prove to be the exception to that rule!!

It will also be great to have a nice photo booklet documenting the show (don't let me down guys :wink: )

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:18 pm

:shock: BIG RED....i'm certain you'll get those points in your post ALL satisfied! :lol:

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:41 pm

I have to admit I'm damn curious about this release 8)
Little teaser for you guys, the crime scene:

Cheers, RJ

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:44 pm

I have to make myself sit through the College Park soundboard show from September 28th. I'm glad I usually listen to Elvis shows behind closed doors. I'd hate for anyone to see the grimace on my face when I listen to it. I keep hoping it will get better everytime I hear it (it doesn't).

I will get the new audience recording from the day before to see if it is as bad as reported. Can't say I'm looking forward to it though.

Ever heard the old saying, "curiosity killed the cat?"

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:06 pm

ekenee wrote:I can't wait to hear the 1976 afternoon show in Houston ... I don't go by what others say because I want to make up my mind on my own ... Example would be the desert storm show of 1974. Many of ya don't like it, but I like it just fine.

I don't know what's sadder -- the fact that you enjoy pathetic examples of Elvis on stage, or that you say so with pride on this MB

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:06 pm

Let's stay positive here..
After a release such as this, things can only get better.. :wink:

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:07 pm

Quote: Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what's sadder -- the fact that you enjoy pathetic examples of Elvis on stage, or that you say so with pride on this MB

I am not afraid to hear it all. I want to make up my own mind. I am not a follower that just agrees with every little thing written.
I am not sure which reference you are referring to anyway.
Houston 76 or Desert storm?

If its Houston 76 I have never heard it to enjoy it and I doubt very seriously you have ever heard it either.

If you think Desert storm is "pathetic" that is your problem amoung many.

Many fans like this show. He is in excellant voice on many cuts.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Its a fact E gave bad performances. Wheter you like it or not. Its a part of his career. Some people (DJC) are only want to see or hear E in 100% good shape, wich is impossible.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:52 pm

If it is not a Soundboard recording, I'll pass anyway.

thanks, but no thanks.

Eddy.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:39 pm

In Desert Storm, Elvis is vocally wise good that night.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:49 pm

3577 wrote:Some people (DJC) are only want to see or hear E in 100% good shape, wich is impossible.

No, that is untrue. I perceive the artistry of Elvis Presley in an honest and factual way -- without delusions, excuses or "rose-colored" glasses.

It is Elvis who set the standard, and a real fan respects and appreciates that. You start calling disasterous shows "great," and all perspective is lost. When this happens, I redress the balance here on this MB.

And that's the way it is.

The question

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:12 pm

The question is, WHAT IS THE DISASTROUS SHOW? Did Elvis played such disaster like Jim Morisson in Miami, 1969? The answer is NEVER. Even WORST Elvis show was 1. commercial success 2. majority of people in the audience was satisfied anyway 3. only very few asked their money back.

It never happened that Elvis played just 7 songs, all awful, none of them complete and finally left the stage totally drunk. Or that he just left stage and did not returned.

Re: The question

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:25 pm

deadringer wrote:The question is, WHAT IS THE DISASTROUS SHOW? Did Elvis played such disaster like Jim Morisson in Miami, 1969? The answer is NEVER. Even WORST Elvis show was 1. commercial success 2. majority of people in the audience was satisfied anyway 3. only very few asked their money back.

It never happened that Elvis played just 7 songs, all awful, none of them complete and finally left the stage totally drunk. Or that he just left stage and did not returned.

All true, even Houston'76, Omaha'77 & College Park had it's moments of glory and many fans left the arena satisfied..
Still, I was shocked when I first heard the 2nd College Park show.

The overall show was no disaster, because Elvis was on stage.
Vocally however, a disaster is the right word.. :(

Cheers, RJ