All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:50 pm

We got the news late in the morning here and being a young schoolgirl at the time, the first I knew of it was coming home on the bus after school. I remember we stopped to pick up a passenger who's first words, kind of like an announcement to everyone on board, were "Elvis is dead!" The whole bus just exploded into conversation. People who usually looked out the window and didn't say anything were animated and discussing the news with each other. It was amazing how it united everyone, I've never witnessed anything else like that before or since - it was the utter disbelief on everyone's faces I'll always remember. Then I walked in the front door at home and Mum was sitting with the afternoon edition of the evening paper in front of her with that headline "A Lonely Life End on Elvis Presley Boulevard". She was crying.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:20 pm

Thanks Gilly........that was touching.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:37 pm

:cry: Geez August 16th REALLY is a sad day.... thank goodness the awful poor quality releases of the 80's are behind us and we can keep Elvis alive with FTD! :lol:

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:32 pm

I was four days short of being 15 months old when Elvis died (I didn't come home from the hospital until I was 16 months old due to having been born with Cerebral Palsy and Hydrocaphalus) and I got my first Elvis cassette (what the heck are those? LOL) when I was prolly 'round ten or so and saw "Elvis On Tour" and have never looked back!

Seeing people's reaction to Elvis's death (via news footage years later) just absolutely blew me away and still does to this day....wow....

Elvis forever changed my life. He is missed and always will be....

Rest in peace, dear friend....we will see you again!!