All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:46 pm

It's only after I read threads like this one that I think about him actually being gone. Other times I either dismiss it or just do not think about it at all. With everything that is available via the internet, it seems to be an easy thing to do. However, I do remember the fateful day like it was yesterday.

Gone but not forgotten, long may he reign.

Last edited by Rob on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:20 pm

Dear Elvis

We love you and we will always remember you.
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:37 pm

i wasn't born either, but this day is always sad

we sure do miss you! rest in peace Elvis. you will not be forgotten

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:29 pm

Rest in peace, Elvis!

You will never be forgotten 8)

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:36 pm

What memories this day brings back. Sad memories blended with happy memories.
I was born back in 1956 and being a fan since around 1964 Elvis was a major influence on me and my childhood. Growing up in a home for children from I was 10-18 Elvis was the one I turned to in hard times. He could always comfort me with his voice.
Back then there was no internet and video was rare. Hearing the news about the next movie coming out and standing in line for tickets and then at last, there he was on the large screen. His beautiful voice and looks. I always asked the manager at the cinema if I could have the posters after the film was taken off. And sometimes I got lucky.
Every time we heard a new song on the radio it was like, WOW. I tried to buy all records that came out but back then we didn't have the kind of money the young kids have today. So we had to save money for the next issue. And we did it gladly because we just knew, that it would be worth all the money and sacrifices.
On January 20, 1973 I saw Elvis in colour for the first time. All kids at the home for children had gathered in the room of the principal to watch Aloha from Hawaii. Nobody said anything for the entire show and I sat on the floor starring at the TV imagining I was there in the crowd.
After Elvis died Elvis fans started to arrange gatherings where we would watch a film or two. This was a major highlight as video was so new and few owned any Elvis movies. After the movies we danced to Elvis music all night till the early morning. Man, we had some great times and I got to know a lot of fans. There were such gatherings between 5-8 times a year all over Denmark and most of us went to all. On this coming August 26 I'll go back home to Denmark and meet a lot of those old friends I made so many years ago. We still meet and have a good time watchingElvis and dancing.

Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.
You are truly missed, my friend.

Sincerely
Brian

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:43 pm

I was 7 years of age when he died. I wanted my dad to take me to see him play in Spokane.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:03 am

What nice replies...........

I had been a fan since I was 5 or so (according to my mom). It started when I inherited my Uncle Robert's record collection..........and there it was.

"Can't Help Falling In Love". Grabbed me amd never let me go :lol:

I had never seen him in concert, but my dad had gotten us tickets for the 8/21/77 concert in Hartford,Ct.

5 days away. FIVE FRIGGIN' DAYS!!!!!!!! :evil: :cry:

Then, on the CBS Evening News (which was on while I ate dinner), Morton Dean came on and said "Singer Elvis Presley......." and I snapped to attention....."is dead".

Devastating........

The experience of being SO excited for several weeks about finally seeing him made the loss that much more jarring.

Honestly, I cried over it for years.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:04 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences bripet56 and Scatter

I enjoy reading :wink:

I wasen't borned until 1991, and i'm glad i didn't lived at 16. August 77'

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:31 am

Rest In Peace Elvis....
You will always, always be in my heart..................

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:36 am

FlamingStar wrote:Thanks for sharing your experiences bripet56 and Scatter

I enjoy reading :wink:

I wasen't borned until 1991, and i'm glad i didn't lived at 16. August 77'

I can't tell you how great it is that there are so many here that are so young and have discovered Elvis. Fantastic!!!!!! :D

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:56 am

I only wish he could be found earlier that fateful morning...Maybe a serious stroke could do good to him...He could had seen he was going the wrong way, stop performing and clean himself. But, i have the dreadful feeling that it would be like before: August tour cancelled and then he would be onstage again, wearing the sundial suit and going just through the motions...

So sad. He could had ended like Johnny Cash, a honored artists praised by everyone during his last days, and not the fat, drugged clown (that in fact he was to a certain point) some people still remember him today...

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:30 am

On August 16, 1977 - I was five years old.

I was with my Dad outside, down by the basement with the pick-up truck.

My Mom suddenly opens the window in the kitchen - yelling.

Dad and I rush up to go inside. I still remember standing in front of the television, with the news that he was gone.

Scatter - that was a terrifc post!

Thanks for this thread, and everybody for their stories.

Rich

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:53 am

It's August 16, 1977. My mother picked up my brother and me (I was 11) from spending the afternoon at a friend's house. As I opened the passenger door to the car, she looked at me and said, "I have something to tell you. Elvis died today." I had been a fan for roughly the previous 6 or 7 years...discovered her 45's and couldn't put them down. When MSG and Aloha came out, I was hooked and never looked back.

My response to Mom was, "Bullsh1t, that can't be!" (I had quite an, ahem, vocabulary for an 11 year old) She gently said, "It's true, let's go home." We spent the evening watching events unfold on the evening news...all three stations at that time. The next several days saw the local record stores all but sold out of every Presley title, Elvis was played regularly on all radio staions and life would never be the same.

It was a better world when he was in it. God rest your soul, Elvis...and please say hi to Mom for me.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:44 am

God I cried like a baby!!!! I was 18....over the span of that month, I recieved back from Elvis a signed invitation to my graduation, you know...the little card w/your name all fancy written... and front row center tickets to my 13th Elvis concert, in Roanoke VA...never to happen, I earned that, sleeping in line for two days. The Good Lord has blessed me so much...no...allowed me so much to be apart of Elvis orbit....guys, you won't believe what Elvis experiences that I have had....before and after....tonight, I'll celebrate all the memories!!!

Here's to Ya!

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:56 am

Again........very touching and beautuful posts.

All the stories are so intensely personal..........how does some kid from the wrong side of the tracks in a one-horse town like Tupelo come to affect so many, so deeply??

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:59 am

Scatter wrote:What nice replies...........

I had been a fan since I was 5 or so (according to my mom). It started when I inherited my Uncle Robert's record collection..........and there it was.

"Can't Help Falling In Love". Grabbed me amd never let me go :lol:

I had never seen him in concert, but my dad had gotten us tickets for the 8/21/77 concert in Hartford,Ct.

5 days away. FIVE FRIGGIN' DAYS!!!!!!!! :evil: :cry:

Then, on the CBS Evening News (which was on while I ate dinner), Morton Dean came on and said "Singer Elvis Presley......." and I snapped to attention....."is dead".

Devastating........

The experience of being SO excited for several weeks about finally seeing him made the loss that much more jarring.

Honestly, I cried over it for years.

Damn Scatter, thats moving..
Multiply your feelings by 100000 or so..
I mean, his upcoming tour was of course sold out...

I was only 1 in 1977, but became a fan early because of my dad's LP collection. The record I kept playing over and over as a little child was... "We call on Him"

When the end was near, Elvis wondered if he would be remembered..
He underestimated his own impact..

I'll try to be around in Memphis next year to honor my hero..

Cheers, RJ

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:03 am

In Australian time zone it was 17th August (Mrs Sams birthday)
about 5 am when the clock radio came on. We had this DJ who used to yell out Wake Up calls and really bellow. The radio was on and I was still 3/4's asleep when the DJ yelled out "ELVIS IS DEAD...more after this song."
I said to Mrs Sam"Did you hear what he just said?" And she said, "no what did he say?"
When I told her she just said, "Bullshit"
I waited for more news and it slowly trickled through as the news services were getting more infomation.
I was devestated. All the radio stations were playing Elvis and puting specials and tributes on. I took a portable radio with me everywhere.
I couldn't play my records for months. I looked at them and just put them back in the rack. Then I eventually put one on to play and it became easier.
It took me months to get over it, not that I ever really got over it. I really miss the thought of him being around and recording new music. He was the most important thing in my life at the time (Besides family) He was almost like a part of the family in the way, I connected so strongly with him through his music.

I miss you still Elvis!!!

8)

Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:39 am

I was 13 at the time and when i heard the news that Elvis was gone it hit like a ton of bricks.
I grew up on Elvis my mom was a fan of his and i listen to all the records she han and i statred to collect his records also being born on Jan 8 also hit me.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:31 am

One aspect of Tuesday, August 16, 1977 that remains vivid today is the intense media reaction to his death -- I had never experienced anything like it. Elvis was front-page news in my area for three straight days. TV news specials abounded on every major network. Radio began playing all of his records, non-stop Think of how the world reacted to Princess Diana's death twenty years later -- it was something like that.

Being too young to have a grip on the cultural zeitgeist, it took years to realize that this unprecedented response indicated that Elvis' impact on the world was far greater than anyone acknowledged while he was alive. And here we are 29 years later, still talking about the man, and his music. Wow.

One other thing -- Elvis isn't really dead. He lives on in every record, cassette, CD, VHS tape or DVD we treasure, and in every new person who sees his face and hears his voice for the first time.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:38 am

29 summers have gone by...

There is not 1 single day that goes by that I don't think of him, sing a song, play his muisc or mention his name.

Just like Vernon had inscribed on his tomb, He was a precious gift from GOD and I believe that with all my heart.

Someone asked me yesterday if I had a chance to say sumthin' to Elvis, what would it be :?:

well, besides asking to sing a tune with him, I would tell him how much more brighter he has made my life. I would have definetely gave him a hug and told him "I love ya man..."

still missin' you ol friend... :cry:

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:20 am

Spot on Doctor John.
That last paragraph says it all.

Miss You Elvis!

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:29 am

JOHN I wrote:Spot on Doctor John. That last paragraph says it all.

Thank you for the kind words, John.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:54 am

I am 16 now, and like many, many others, never got the chance to see Elvis , but i was listening to some of his music yesterday in tribute for him, and kept thinking 'What a talent we lost, he could've got straightened out and gone so many more years more'. Its depressing, but we still have an INCREDIBLE legacy to listen and watch, Elvis's greatest gift, his voice

Elvis, we miss you, and we wish you, were here

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Being too young to have a grip on the cultural zeitgeist, it took years to realize that this unprecedented response indicated that Elvis' impact on the world was far greater than anyone acknowledged while he was alive. And here we are 29 years later, still talking about the man, and his music. Wow.

Finally Elvis is getting the recognition he deserves. The last few years has seen many contemporary musicians falling over themselves to cite Elvis as an influence.

Although, i'm not sure that the world will ever understand the force that was Elvis Presley. But that force changed the world

Andrew

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:11 am

I feel what you wrote Scatter. Thanks...