All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

29 Years ago.......

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:15 pm

I feel sorry for the fans who are too young to remember him when he was still with us, or for those who were not yet born.

Though we have an embarrassment of riches today in every electronic format........from digital video, to digital audio, to outtakes and boots and FTD, etc............they are only pixelated or digitized representations. I do not disregard or minimize them by pointing out what they are.........and are not.

I cherish them.........trade for them, pay for them, long for them when I cannot trade or pay for them. But, ultimately, they are what they are......

Images. Echoes. Mere shadows.

The figure whose images were captured, who produced the sounds that reverberate still through the lives of millions, the figure who cast that insuperable shadow is gone.......

Those who were not able to participate in "ELVIS" (and all that entailed, good and bad) when he was still an event, a happening, when history was being made rather than reflected upon, have missed something truly unique and irreplaceable.

For those who were around from the beginning, rather than as a relative Johnny-Come-Lately child of the seventies such as I, the experience must be even more profound.

Information was sparse back then..........a nugget here and there. A rumor, a leak from inside the Gates, some sketchy information passed through the various channels within the Elvis Underground Railroad.

Our information is much more complete now (sometimes sadly so). Our library shelves fairly groan beneath the burden of innumerable books and magazines and DVDs, CDs and on and on........

But what is forever gone, what cannot be replaced with electronic wizardry or written insights, is the IMMEDIACY of Elvis.

The anticipation of new projects........the limitless possibilities of what may occur.........the concerts, the albums, the joy of being in the same NOW with Elvis.

That's what I miss the most. That's what I still grieve most deeply. I never knew the Man. But in a way I did live (as we all did who were there) in his (regrettably distant) orbit. What he did had a direct effect on my life. He had an impact that was renewed and deepened with each new venture. His gravitational pull affected the course of my day and life just as certainly as the sun's distant pull directs and affects our world.

His simply BEING here changed things, whether he was putting out masterpieces or sleepwalking through projects..........because there were always possibilities. There was always a sense of anticipation. At the very least, there was always hope.

I love my books, my magazines, my DVDs and CDs...........I listen and/or watch something every day. (to the bemusement of my wife and children).

But I'll never again wonder what he's recording next, when he's coming to my town, what he's doing right now. I'll never again feel that sense of immediacy and anticipation.

I'm free from his orbit. He can do nothing now to direct or affect me.

But............I can still recall with perfect clarity what it felt like to live in that orbit. I can still remember the excitement. The possibilities. The hope. I'll never lose those memories.

And today........especially today........I feel sorry for those who never experienced that.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:20 pm

That's a beautiful message. Really :wink:
Unfortuntely I was only 3 when elvis died...No memories of him. Never

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:39 pm

..And I was only a couple of months old at the time..

I'm envious of those who experienced Elvis in his own time. I can only be thankful for the abundance of 'Elvis' that we have these days.

K.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:42 pm

All the stuff is great Kevin.........but it doesn't compare to being there.

I envy guys like Ger and Collin who were along for the entire ride. But, at least I was there for awhile.......

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 pm

It was a woderful time going to the record store and finding a new Elvis album with his latest recordings on it. Then rushing home to, play it over and over.

Then waiting for the next.....

8)

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:54 pm

Great post Scatter!

I was 11 but had liked him since 'Elvis' 40 greatest' came out in 1974. I clearly remember the newscaster saying "Elvis Presley....", I sat up thinking great something about Elvis, until he continued "....is dead!"

Yup..........and staring for hours at the cover of the album in the stores trying to decide which to buy.

But the best thing was the anticipation of "What's next". I imagine whenever the rumors of a world tour were circulating, there must have been a huge buzz down under!!!!

Remember being in a fan club (EP Fan Club Of Great Britain for me) because it was the only way to keep in touch with what was going on in the Elvis World??

Right on the money Scatter. I wasn't alive when Elvis was (born 1979) and i really envy those who experienced what you call the immediacy of Elvis - the fact he was still present and dynamic (in the sense that there was a possibility of a new tour, new album, new story etc).

My girlfriend was born the night he played Binghampton in 1977 - in a way i envy the 3 months she shared the earth with Elvis.

I enjoy being able to have an overview of Elvis' career but i think not being there compartmentalises his career - for example recordings from 67/68 I view in the context of what was coming in 68/69. There is no here and now and there is no prospect of anything changing - it has all happened.

Andrew

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Well said Andrew.........that's what's lost. I never really stopped to analyze his career. It was still happening. Now, it is analyzed to death (not a bad thing necessarily) but the analysis is always colored by the ability to look forward.

We look at things like "From Elvis Presley Blvd" and analyse it from the perspective of history, and it gets degraded. I didn't do it back then.......I just enjoyed it and looked forward to the next one.

I remember getting "Moody Blue" and being really encouraged with tracks like "Way Down" and the title cut. After EP BLVD, it was cool to see him doing a fantastic rocker like "Way Down", and to see it climbing the charts.

And I was free to daydream about what the direction of the next single/album would be.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:06 pm

Beautiful post Scatter. There isn't a day go by that I don't think of EP, in some way. 29 years today, where has the time gone?

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:07 pm

Hello dear friend
Scatter is right :wink:
there is nothing to compare like to be in the "real time" back in the '50-'60-'70....that was great!!! looking forward for the next Album & more...
I was born on the 21.12.1976 so i was at least about 9 months "with elvis" :) ....
All the best for everyone
LIOR

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:08 pm

But the best thing was the anticipation of "What's next". I imagine whenever the rumors of a world tour were circulating, there must have been a huge buzz down under!!!!

The anticipation of "What's next". Yes it was great times anticipating and waiting, I for one always loved the albums as they came out, now people look back and pick some of them apart.
And yes, there were a couple of big time rumours of a tour. Big money offered etc. And I was full of hope at times.

Remember being in a fan club (EP Fan Club Of Great Britain for me) because it was the only way to keep in touch with what was going on in the Elvis World??

I was also a member of [b]EP Fan Club Of Great Britain, and I got some nice stuff from them from toime to time.[/b]

8)

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:01 pm

I was 6 when he died. I remember I was home from school, must been summer break? I walked into the kitchen and and my mother was crying. She gave my brother some money and told us that Elvis had died and that she wanted us to go to Peaches (a music store) and buy everything they had of him. We did and I have been a fan since then.

Greg

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:02 pm

sam wrote:It was a woderful time going to the record store and finding a new Elvis album with his latest recordings on it. Then rushing home to, play it over and over.

Then waiting for the next.....

8)

And with RCA you never had to wait long. Although it seemed so at the time.

It was a great time, Sam.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:12 pm

I was not born yet. So your message really hits home. I am not kidding when I say I'd gladly be older today if only I would have been able to see him live in concert, Las Vegas 1969 for example. Every time I think about it I get all emotional. But I don't want to come across sounding selfish, because there are fans, who sadly are not with us anymore, who never got to see the Aloha Deluxe or TTWII or hear alternate takes. Of course the live expirience can not be replaced by those products, but it's almost like being there. So it's actually a win-win situation. I can't imagine how you guys handled the news of August 16, 1977. Here is a virtual hug.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:14 pm

Nicely put in sincere words, Scatter. But

> His gravitational pull affected the course of my day and life

is slightly ambiguously formulated ... (:shock:)

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:19 pm

Melanie wrote: I can't imagine how you guys handled the news of August 16, 1977.

Neither can I imagine what it was like "living in the same world as elvis", waiting for a new album......so strange. As if elvis had never existed
I'm really really envious of those who experienced Elvis in his own time.
I asked my mum a thousand times what I was doing when she heard the news...Seems like I was playing with my brand new steve austin doll... :roll: :roll: :lol:

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:27 pm

Very nice words, Scatter....

I was only 12 at the time, and I remember being on the couch watching the Chicago Cubs/Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game on WGN-TV when they had a news bulletin announcing that Elvis had died. I felt very sad and remember thinking that someone like Elvis doesn't die.

I am very thankful we have the communication capabilities of today, and that we have the products that we do. You just didn't hear very much of what was happening around him. I had no idea of his tour schedule, but I remember knowing when Elvis was in Las Vegas, and wondering how the heck I could get there to see him sing.

It's certainly a different age in which we live today. Those people who were around Elvis are elevated to a certain "star" status themselves, at least among Elvis fans, and those of us who never met the man put ourselves into the position of wondering what he was really like, and what it was like to have been around him. Doesn't it get frustrating?

I don't despair 365 days a year. Life goes on. But at least on one day--this day--the same sadness I felt on August 16, 1977 is there today.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:34 pm

Melanie wrote:I was not born yet. So your message really hits home. I am not kidding when I say I'd gladly be older today if only I would have been able to see him live in concert, Las Vegas 1969 for example. Every time I think about it I get all emotional. But I don't want to come across sounding selfish, because there are fans, who sadly are not with us anymore, who never got to see the Aloha Deluxe or TTWII or hear alternate takes. Of course the live expirience can not be replaced by those products, but it's almost like being there. So it's actually a win-win situation. I can't imagine how you guys handled the news of August 16, 1977. Here is a virtual hug.

Melanie, being 46 years old, I managed to have shared almost 18 years on earth with Elvis. The day he died, it was surreal, like it didn't happen. I hung around older guys, guys who grew up in the fifties, who idolized Elvis, to see them tear up, really describes how emotional that and the next few days were. We were playing billiards when a friend of ours came in and told us that "Elvis died," at first we thought he was joking, but then he started to get choked up, needless to say, we all sat there in shock, stunned and teary eyed about a man we never met, but who's impact was emormous in our everyday lives.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:43 pm

I remember Aug 16, 1977, like it was yesterday. I remember hearing it on the NBC Nightly News. It just seemed like my world stopped. However, I had to get myself together and go do my evening shift on one of the lacal radio stations. As you'll recall "Way Down" was a big hit at the time. When I playe it that evening I just had this sick feeling in my stomach. It was several months after Elvis' passing before I could listen any of his music without that feeling.

The only other time I can think of where I had such a stong reaction to an event involving a national figure would have been the asassination of Preident John F. Kennedy.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:14 pm

I will never forget the shock my family and I felt when we heard that the Greatest , most gifted entertainer left this world way too soon.... The King is gone but never forgotten. Long live Elvis Aaron Presley the original and simply the best ! :D

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:28 pm

For me there is little differrence.

I never saw Elvis except for Scatters "images and shadows" when he was alive and that's all I see now. So to me there is little difference. Living in the UK as I do he never gave a concert that was convenient to see, my parents wouldn't and couldn't have afforded to fly me to the US for such an indulgence.

Sam reminded me of the excitement of an new Elvis release, whether single or LP and that's what i miss now. Even when a new song has been discovered there's no excitement about it anymore. Everyone discusses it to bits before it's even out and at the very least I then know what it is going to be, but i prefered that "not knowing" element when he was alive and for a few years after as well. Nowadays there's more excitement about the discovery than there is of the actual song itself, it's Elvis disected one step too far.

I recall writing to Ernst a while back and asking him not to even murmer or hint at anything to me that he'd come across during the compilation of the new Sun book. I want to buy it and just be excited at the prospect of what it contains without having anyone spoil it. All he has told me is that it will be full of surprises and that's perfect, that's all i want to hear.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:30 pm

When I say I'd have loved to see him live in concert it doesn't mean that actually getting there would have been easy or possible. Who knows where I might have lived or how old I would have been. I am not unhappy with the way being a fan continues to play out. The internet has been around since I was 16, so it's easy to forget that there used to be a time were communication wasn't as quick and information as available. I realize that Elvis news or details weren't as readily available as his career was happening and that most of you never got to see him live, even though you were around. But the sheer opporunity of having been alive at the same time must have been a thrill. I salute you for sharing your stories with us post-77 folk, because now it is history. I can care about JFK or RFK, but in the end it's only on film and that's what makes me emotional, not the live event. Like I said I can't begin to imagine, but if it was anything like 9/11, I can try. I'd like to end this post on a happy note, so it's really a pleasure knowing you all and our little forum here continues to be a joy. It's amazing how we are all connected in spirit, especially today. Just pausing and reflecting this thought is amazing. I am going to go and keep it quiet for the rest of the day. It's 3:30pm local time right now. Eerie, knowing that that's the time he was pronounced dead Memphis time and had already passed away, but the world didn't know yet. Sigh.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:44 pm

I was 10 years old when he died and had only recently become a fan. I simply could not believe it when he died, nor was it helped by everyone around me saying things like "Never mind, its not as if you knew him" :evil: . Even today i cannot listen to Way Down without thinking that I am listening to THE END, there was nothing more, (except Scatters images and shadows of course). One thing which is truly great is that his legacy did not die, but has gone on and on.

Keep the faith fellow Elvis fans.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:45 pm

Yes nice words Scatter

I was 11 years old when Elvis died and had 27 LP's which I was very proud of. Most of these were budgets ones and by the way I counted a double LP as two records then :)

I remember getting 40 Greatest - ARCADE extremely well. I remember buying Promised Land very well and getting The Sun collection for Christmas 75? I remember thinking I wonder what Elvis is doing now - I used to think that alot. My parents said if they went to America they would take me to see Elvis - never happened. I remember the TREMENDOUS excitment when an Elvis film came on the TV- Saturday Night At the Movies - 6.30pm BBC1!!!!!!! I remember the CONTINUED excitment every time I heard a new Elvis track. I remember going to Fun Fairs and the prize was always an Elvis Poster - Stay Away Joe publicity picture I think. There are so many other memories - too numerous to mention.

However, Reginald Bosenquet? (spelling) - Ist report News flash - we interupt this program to say we have reports that Mr Presley has died. 2nd news flash said It has not been confirmed that Elvis Presley has died and the third report confirmed Elvis' death - did I remember that correctly?? It was a real shock for me of course. Shortly afterwards (weeks or months) Todd Slaughter said there was enough new material to keep on releasing until the year 2000!! How right he was and what a long time ago that was.