All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

MDQ and the SUN box.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:54 am

The release of a restored MDQ on the RCA label is curious at this point in time.

I expect many would have expected that MDQ would form part of the delayed Sun Box - it is where it logically belongs.

To have a box of more than three discs MDQ would be required unless Ernst has found 30 hitherto unknown tracks.

So has the Sun box been quietly dropped or will it appear sometime in the future with MDQ on it for us to buy again :D

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:57 am

Probably!!! :wink:

8)

Re: MDQ and the SUN box.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:18 am

KiwiAlan wrote:The release of a restored MDQ on the RCA label is curious at this point in time.

I expect many would have expected that MDQ would form part of the delayed Sun Box - it is where it logically belongs.

Under which logic? At that point Elvis was no longer at contract under SUN.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:44 am

thenexte wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:The release of a restored MDQ on the RCA label is curious at this point in time.

Under which logic? At that point Elvis was no longer at contract under SUN.

There is some logic behind KiwiAlan's opinion. After all they were all recorded at Sun!!

However, in this instance there is more than one "logic". IMO the MDQ jam does not belong on a Sun box set for exactly the reason given by thenexte. Elvis had left Sun a year before and in those days he was so progressive that during that year his style had already changed significantly.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:05 am

Here is some reasons why it shouldn't be on the Sun box.

For one, it stands on its own as a one time event meeting with 4 superstars of early rock'n'roll.

Secondly Ernst has mentioned that the set is really about the Sun era.

Not sure if he is going to use interviews or not but it would be a nice touch.

By using Sun masters, outtakes, and live Hayride performances, along with the book, he hopes to tell the whole story of Elvis' beginning years, starting with 1953 and moving to the time Elvis was going to start anew with a big time label.

Even though he was on the Hayride into march and then the final show in december, it really wouldn't be right to include any of those appearances either unless it falls pre-1956.

If he did include the MDQ on the box, it would only weaken the box set.

BMG has created too many weak projects because they lose focus along the way.

Less is more in this case.

mdq and

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:51 am

... MDQ will not be part of Ernst his Sun project. And as things are

going now, we wont see and hear anything untill the beginning, or

early 2007. I didnt hear this from Blondie himself, but from one who

knows.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:27 pm

her ger think we will hear any unreleased songs on the sun box? if so what songs i'm dying to know?

mdq and

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:46 pm

... Ive tried to bribe some FTD people, but no luck. I honestly have

no idea. But dont exspect too many miracles. Anything "new" is

fine by me. In all honesty, the book is more important to me.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:32 pm

ritchie valens wrote:her ger think we will hear any unreleased songs on the sun box? if so what songs i'm dying to know?

Definitely previously unheard recordings of already known songs will be on the set. Probably a new song as well depending on the outcome of a pending deal. The release will be in 2007, most likely the middle of the year.

The important thing to remember as has been stated is that this is all about the book, both in terms of interest and Ernst's purpose. This really is a book project that comes with CDs. "Sun Boxes" have already been done.

Re: mdq and

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:56 pm

Ger > I honestly have no idea.

This is quite a remarkable statement on this message board.

And thanks for the info that it won't happen before 07.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:27 am

KiwiAlan wrote:I expect many would have expected that MDQ would form part of the delayed Sun Box - it is where it logically belongs.

I know what you mean, but Ernst stated a while back the scope of the SUN set would be 1954-55, echoing the time frame of his much-anticipated book. Logic indicates this means 3 CDs, two of studio material and one of live recordings. It's my hope the 1953 Memphis and 1955 Lubbock acetates will also be included, but it's unclear if this will be the case.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:50 am

It's my understanding (and even more so now, with the FTD release of "Elvis Presley") that this set will include everything ('Studio' and 'Live') up until January 1956 (Elvis' first RCA session).

That's why I agree with DJC (I was also told this would be a FTD release) with his assumption that the MDQ session would be released on the FTD label.

The way the "Classic Albums" series is going, Ernst is releasing (almost) everything to the fans, on a "Collectors" label, the way it should be.

I must say again, and will continue to say, thank God we have Ernst at the helm of this label!

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:46 am

Amen!

O.S.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:56 am

Kieth wrote: That's why I agree with DJC (I was also told this would be a FTD release) with his assumption that the MDQ session would be released on the FTD label.

Oh boy, here we go again.

Note the present tense on the word, "agree".

mdq and

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:40 am

... Ive had several people asking who supplied the info, as mentioned

above, by me? Trevor Cajiao, from Elvis The Man And His Music.

He had a conversation with Ernst, only a few days ago...

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:53 am

I just checked the Amazon site and it's listed for pre-order.

The thing is they list Johnny Cash as one of the artists involved.

Johnny's music is selling pretty good right now and he has gained quite a few new younger fans because of the movie, "i Walk the line".

There is going to be some newer, naive, Johnny Cash fans ordering this cd and being a little dissapointed because he ain't there.

SUN BOOK

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:45 pm

The newly discovered photos in the Sun project book are set to amaze us, I'm sure. This, for me, is gonna be one heck of a release.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:55 pm

I agree!

This will be a fantastic release.

I'm happy with anything of unreleased stuff. :wink:

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:13 pm

Not to give away the store, but Ernst's SUN project will be a revelation in both prose and pictures -- there are some previously-unseen images that will blow your mind.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:21 pm

Big D Jamboree live recordings i guess will be included.
Non of these recordings by Elvis has surfaced anywhere.Let us hope,and pray. :P

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:34 pm

After listening to Ernst's interview, I can't wait for this and several other projects to come out!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:38 pm

Any '50s nuggets, like those from " 'Elvis Presley' - Special Edition' " !) are really appreciated at this late date, but as Ger & Doc say, the book itself should well-worth the wait.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:02 am

ekenee wrote:There is going to be some newer, naive, Johnny Cash fans ordering this cd and being a little dissapointed because he ain't there.

Have to confess to being a tad disappointed with the track-listing.

The unreleased 12 minutes is instrumental stuff.

Thought they might have found a tape with some new songs with Johnny Cash audible !

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Not to give away the store, but Ernst's SUN project will be a revelation in both prose and pictures -- there are some previously-unseen images that will blow your mind.

Does this mean that there will be NO new music?

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:17 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Does this mean that there will be NO new music?

It's beginning to look that way.