All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:02 pm

"It's Different Now" always catches me out. Elvis sounds so sad, particularly on a song that celebrates love. I guess it was the wrong time in his life and that's why he abandoned it.

"Snowbird" for different reasons, it was my Dads favourite song, I miss him more than Elvis, and I didn't think that was possible until he wasn't there anymore.

Geoff
Last edited by tupelo_boy on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:20 pm

jake wrote:I guess the song that really rips me up would have to be Three Corn Patches.......... :lol: Don't tell Curtis !

Yes, will we know what you used to get up to in those ol' corn patches Jake!!! :wink:

:lol:

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Many, but Elvis' version of " Danny Boy" is the most moving performance that I've ever heard; and I'm not talking only about Elvis but about all popular music.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:13 pm

I am glad Danny Boy has come up so often. Just last week, I was listening to Elvis with my head phones on, for greater enjoyment, fewer distractions and all and my wife came up and asked if I was cold because my arms were covered with goosebumps - I was listening to Danny Boy. What a great song, I guess thats why Elvis kept it around since the late 50's.. You can feel and visualize the song...

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:18 pm

For Ol' Times Sake does it for me.

It would be a shame if you should leave and find that freedom ain't what you thought it would be.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:25 pm

My Boy has always been a tearjerker for me. Especially when I read in Ernst's book that Elvis told Felton to get it in one or two takes because he "can't sing it no more" or something like that.

Tom

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:40 pm

Always On My Mind, Don't Cry Daddy and In The Ghetto always makes me cry
Last edited by Elvisgirl on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:27 pm

Rob wrote:For Ol' Times Sake does it for me.

It would be a shame if you should leave and find that freedom ain't what you thought it would be.
Exactly! But together with this line: You could go where I could never find you. But could you go far enough to get away from your heart :cry:

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:41 pm

Depends on the circumstances in which I hear the song(s), but I heard "Don't Cry, Daddy" this morning on my way to work and it tugged at the heart strings quite a bit. Not usually one that does that to me, but it did today.

"I've Lost You" is another track which grabs me.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:54 pm

I always choke up during the speaking part of "America The Beautiful".

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:03 pm

for me Danny Boy too, I can't help remembering my daddy...

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:05 pm

Please Don't Stop Loving Me

Please don't stop loving me
You were born just to be in my arms
In my arms
Your lips were made just to be kissed by me
Kissed by me

When I'm with you
I don't know day from night, wrong from right
You are my world, that's all I know
I love you so, I won't let go

Darling you'll always be mine alone
Mine alone

What a song :cry: only Elvis can sing a song like that ... when I hear this words and tune sung with his unique voice it directly touches my soul ...

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:25 pm

danny boy, old shep, unchained melody, bridge over troubled water, don't cry daddy, american trilogy, it's easy for you, indescribably blue...

some of the usual suspects. i'm a leaky faucette over old shep. and it was lisa marie's duet of don't cry daddy that does it for me. and of course the june 21, 1977 unchained melody does it frequently--especially with the vid. the "hush little baby, don't you cry, you know your daddy's bound to die, but all my trials, lord, soon'll be over..." lines in american trilogy always make me a bit weepy. and of course danny boy is a total heart-string puller. it's easy for you (take 1) is also that way. indiscribably blue can do it when i'm down--wow, those vocals.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:35 am

American Trilogy - This was played on the radio fairly often just after September 11, 2001 on several rock radio stations in my area. It should be the backing to a 9/11 tribute video.

I Miss You - Gets me every time.

You'll Never Walk Alone - I selected this to be played at my mother's funeral. I can never listen to it again the way I did before.

Softly, As I Leave You - Because my wife tears up when she listens to it.

Danny Boy - One of the most moving pieces of music by any artist, ever.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:22 am

Just Pretend..............classic heartbreaker.........need I say more :(

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:52 am

The incredible solo piano, 1966 home demo of "If I Loved You" is absolutely heartbreaking, and is one of Elvis' finest recordings. If you've never heard it, you're really missing something magical.

My mom adored the musical "Carousel," and "If I Loved You" is the key song.

If I Loved You
By Oscar Hammerstein II & Richard Rodgers

If I loved you,
Time and again I would try to say
All I'd want you to know

If I loved you
Words wouldn't come in an easy way
'Round in circles I'd go

Longing to tell you, but afraid and shy
I'd let my golden chances pass me by

Soon you'd leave me
Off you would go, in the mist of day
Never, never to know
How I'd love you

If I loved you

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:28 am

Thanks so much Doc, for posting the lyrics to this beautiful song. Ever since i heard it on the home recordings cd, i've always wanted to know them. Great delivery by out man 8)

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The incredible solo piano, 1966 home demo of "If I Loved You" is absolutely heartbreaking, and is one of Elvis' finest recordings. If you've never heard it, you're really missing something magical.
Absolutely! This is one of my goosebumps songs. Elvis' performance of this song is somehow very magical.

Never Again

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:22 pm

What will become of me when you're no longer here
If I can't stop loving you, what am I to do
You'll be free but where will I be...

I hope I never ever love anyone this much again
Never ever, never again
Never again.

The lost performances

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:35 pm

When I saw and heard him sing "Are you lonesome tonight" 1972 in the lost performances video, I got tears in my eyes. I still think it`s very emotional to watch and listen to.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:07 pm

For personal reasons: This Is The Story.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:39 pm

They remind me too much of you. I think it gets me, as theres still hope. "If these lovely things don't haunt you, our love was never meant to be, but please come back to me my darling, if they remind you too much of me".

Most of the other songs metioned are also heartbreaking, depending on when you listen to them.

Part of the magic of Elvis is that when you listen to him sing, you know it's not just a series of words, and notes, but he imparts so much emotion in to the best of his performances.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:50 pm

To me it's "Never Again".

Key line: "Now that I'm used to love, how can I stand alone?"

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:18 pm

Live version from "Where No Stands Alone", february 1977.....

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:19 pm

Hearing one of music's most talented and gifted artists be subjected to recording songs like Mr. Songman or I'll Never Fall In Love Again is enough to bring tears to the eyes....