All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

G.I.Blues Book Is Hot!

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:33 pm

... This is not a review of the new book. I just want to say how well

done it is. Compliments to the young Danish designer Kenneth

Dokkeberg. The use of full color, throughout, brings life to the

sparkling design, reminiscent of the Madison cd bonus booklets!

Lots, and I mean lots, of rare photos and memorabilia. This is one

great photo book, you can buy without any hesitation. And because

my only involvement was supplying photos and other printed

rarities, for this book, you can take my word for it. Its not too

often, other designers/ publishers impress me. Hats of to you

Kenneth. And hats of to the printer, who did a splendid job!

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:40 pm

I ordered it one month ago, I still haven't received it :?

G.I.Blues

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:47 pm

... Knudsen and his little helpers, started packing, 3 days ago.

I dont think you have to worry. I got mine by express mail this

morning.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:21 pm

have you watched the DVD ?

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:31 pm

What we all want to know: what's on the DVD?

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:51 pm

According to Elvisnews:-

Quote " The DVD contains never before seen footage from the movie set. You will see outtakes of a scene, the completely unknown " G.I. Hope You Like It " trailer (including never before seen footage of Elvis) & a lot more.

Hope this helps.

8)

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:10 pm

TIGERMAN-GB wrote:According to Elvisnews:-

Quote " The DVD contains never before seen footage from the movie set. You will see outtakes of a scene, the completely unknown " G.I. Hope You Like It " trailer (including never before seen footage of Elvis) & a lot more.

Hope this helps.

8)

Nope. I want to read what actually is on the DVD.
What is the total playing time? What outtakes of a scene are there? Is this just "Tonight is all right for love" and "G.I. hope you like it" trailer or is there more?
You see, I am not interested in the book but I am highly interested in the single and DVD. But to pay euro 40 + postage for one outtake I already have (it circulates on the internet) and a one-minute trailer is a bit steep.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Luuk wrote:What we all want to know: what's on the DVD?

Sorry but this was your question, nothing about running times, or anything else for that matter, do you think you could be a bit clearer next time as to what you want to know?

8)

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:43 pm

Luuk wrote:
TIGERMAN-GB wrote:According to Elvisnews:-

Hope this helps.

8)

Nope. I want to read what actually is on the DVD.
What is the total playing time? What outtakes of a scene are there? Is this just "Tonight is all right for love" and "G.I. hope you like it" trailer or is there more?
You see, I am not interested in the book but I am highly interested in the single and DVD. But to pay euro 40 + postage for one outtake I already have (it circulates on the internet) and a one-minute trailer is a bit steep.

If you paid for the single and DVD only, you're likely to be disappointed I'm afraid. Main thing is the book not the bonuses

G.I.Blues book

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:08 pm

... If the book does not interest you, dont bother.

I mean, what do you exspect on this bonus dvd, a truckload of

film outtakes? If that was the case, Knudsen would have sold it

as a dvd with bonus book and vinyl record. Jeez, I have the dvd and

record here, in the box. But having just listened to FTDs Elvis Presley,

for the first time [ and trying to get the adraline down] Im not gonne

be bothered with Elvis shaking hands with some Scandinavian Royalty!

I hope, not too many fans will buy, for the dvd only. The photo book

is excellent, and deserves your attention.

But ofcourse, dvds can be copied easily [ not pointing in your

direction, Luuk] , thank gawd, books cant.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:21 pm

All I ask is what's on the DVD. If someone asks what's on a CD, do you all give the reply: music. No, you give a tracklisting.
So why is it so difficult to give a tracklisting for the DVD?

I do not collect Elvis photo's so the book holds no interest for me. But the single and DVD do.
And Ger, books can be copied! The only problem is everybody is too lazy to scan hundred or more pages with a chance the book will be ruined at the binding/spine. No doubt several of the rarer photo's will soon be spread all over the internet. It happened before.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:31 pm

Luuk wrote:All I ask is what's on the DVD. If someone asks what's on a CD, do you all give the reply: music. No, you give a tracklisting.
So why is it so difficult to give a tracklisting for the DVD?

And that's basically what you got, the track listing I gave is what iswas available to me at that time, in your original question you did not ask for a running time, which means as far as I'm concerned I answered your question to the best of my knowledge at that time.

As for people being too lazy to scan a hundred or more pages of one of Gers books, I would imagine that this would make Mr Rijff very happy.

8)

G.I.Blues

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:07 am

... I just rushed thru the bonus dvd. Its less than 10minutes.

But... the super rare Promo Trailer, with Elvis plugging his new

movie [ they actually filmed him talking to the people in the

theatre, and not just a voice over, is in brilliant color quality!

I had never seen it before. Its great! Also 2 more different

G.I.Blues theatre trailers, with different camera angles, a bit of

army, and a meeting, on the set, with foreign Royalty.

Very nice.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:22 pm

Received this excellent box today ! The book is very, very nice. Much unseen [and before seen] photo's in color and b/w from various original sources.
Everything that you wanted to know about the film is present. Lot's of memorabilia and record covers. All nice presented in a "Madison" type off lay-out.

The DVD has a few nice clips on it, sourced from original material [unrestored quality - lot's of scratches], the highlight of it is a, very corny, :D never before seen promo of Elvis' stepping out a girls room photoframe to do his introduction of the movie. Super stuff !!!!

The 45 is a very nice touch, designed like an acetate with radio promo's on it [clever to do this on a 45, if it was on a CD, you could probably download it by now ...]

A few postcards tops the whole off ... This set is compiled by people who care. And it’s a WHOLE LOT BETTER than the latest Tunzi outing, Hawaiï 61
[watch you paper quality Joe, it’s thinner than what’s in our bathroom !!!!]

The boxset is limited, so don’t wait to long ... It comes highly recommended !!!

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thank you very much to Ger Rijff and Memphisflash for all the info, it looks like an essential set 8) 8) 8), it is one of my favorite Elvis movie from the sixties. But please two more questions, does the book include a picture of Elvis in his G.I. uniform and given away a copy of Elvis is back Lp to a man and does the dvd include the alternate scene for Tonight Is All Right for Love :? :? :??. Thank you!!. :wink: :wink: :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thank you very much to Ger Rijff and Memphisflash for all the info, it looks like an essential set 8) 8) 8), it is one of my favorite Elvis movie from the sixties. But please two more questions, does the book include a picture of Elvis in his G.I. uniform and given away a copy of Elvis is back Lp to a man and does the dvd include the alternate scene for Tonight Is All Right for Love :? :? :??. Thank you!!. :wink: :wink: :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Mike, NO on both questions ....

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Mike Windgren.

Aw c'mon Mike, how far do you want to go! :lol:

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D .

Thank you!! Memphisflash. I hoped this picture I mentioned would be included, I saw it on ebay not long ago and it was very cool but I couldn´t afford it, I have a copy on my computer but I don´t know how to place it on this post. I suppose the alternate scene has not been included due to copyright laws :cry: :cry: :cry:. All the best!! :) :) .

Joe car wrote:

Aw c'mon Mike, how far do you want to go! :D.

Note: Any way I hope to receive it soon, it´s on the way to me :wink: :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:08 pm

:smt038 :smt038 A great set :smt038 :smt038

Made by fans, for fans.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:55 pm

I picked up the G.I. Blues Box Set in Memphis last week - I echo that it is nicely done.

On the inside of the back cover is an announcement that "Inside Rostabout" is coming in 2006. In other words, "Roustabout" is spelled "Rostabout." I assume this is a misspelling? This does not take away from the book - fabulous!

Mystery Train

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:21 am

I got my box set yesterday . I think it's great . Where did they find that trailer G . I hope you like it , fantastic . I was surprised they didn't include the trailer ' Elvis is back ' but that's a side issue . Congratulations guys great package

Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:52 pm

I got the box yesterday, too. This is truly a collectors item, a highlight of every fan's collection.

:D

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:33 pm

I picked the box up last week from the Elvis shop along with Tunzi Charro book, without going overboard both are very nice. The bar was set by Ger's 'Inside Jailhouse rock' for these kind of books a long time ago and The G.I.blues book gets there just imo. It's in a sturdy box a little smaller than I imagined from the ads, the book is packed with loads of interesting info and pic's and that the main thing. Still haven't played the DVD which is in a cd slipcase (no excuses here I should have by now) and can't play the single no record player. I'm looking forward to Inside Rosterbout :) if it's to the same standards as the G.I. book it's gonna be good.

G.I.Blues book is hot

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:39 pm

... I had an interesting talk, with a fellow fan, this morning, about

the dvd that features the Paramount promo clip with Elvis, plugging

his own movie, in front of a studio camera. As far as I know, nothing

was ever written about this clip, in the Elvis press, for some 40 plus

years, till it became available as audio only, a couple o years ago...

Why would Paramount have made such a film clip, and not mention

it in their promotion campain, back in 61? This 35 mm cinema promo

trailer, must be, without a doubt, the rarest film footage ment for

screening, and not having been used, outside of that ONE surviving

copy, found in Denmark! So untill professionally film footage is

found from 1955, this 1960 clip is the rarest Elvis film ever found!

Re: G.I.Blues book is hot

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:49 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... I had an interesting talk, with a fellow fan, this morning, about

the dvd that features the Paramount promo clip with Elvis, plugging

his own movie, in front of a studio camera. As far as I know, nothing

was ever written about this clip, in the Elvis press, for some 40 plus

years, till it became available as audio only, a couple o years ago...

Why would Paramount have made such a film clip, and not mention

it in their promotion campain, back in 61? This 35 mm cinema promo

trailer, must be, without a doubt, the rarest film footage ment for

screening, and not having been used, outside of that ONE surviving

copy, found in Denmark! So untill professionally film footage is

found from 1955, this 1960 clip is the rarest Elvis film ever found!

I'm not an expert on "historic" footage, but this is the first of I've heard of that promo clip. Ger, I know you mentioned that you never seen this promo trailer before, I'm curious, did you know prior to this release that it existed, or was it completely new to you as well?