All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis On Tour 2 dvd set in 2007?

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:39 am

Tom Brown of Turner Classic Movies was on the George Klein show this afternoon as he is in Memphis for the Elvis Insiders convention. At one point in the interview GK ask him about the Elvis mini series from a few years ago and Brown said they were not airing it this year but he thought that next year would be huge for Elvis(fans). He stated that they did TTWII -SE in 2001 and that someday he wanted to do the same for EOT. He went on to say he wanted it to be a 2 dvd set with the first being the original and disc 2 being all the other concert footage along with all the backstage stuff(of course all wouldn't fit) plus interviews from the people that were there. He then stated that maybe they could get it out for next year. He also told GK that he had a 58 minute audio tape of EP talking about his career from the film and he would like to get that out also. Have we heard all of this? GK said he would like to have that audio tape and TB said he would have to talk to him about that off-air. At least we now know that there is someone at Turner that has this project in mind! Maybe he will make some announcement at the Insiders Convention.

Re: Elvis On Tour 2 dvd set in 2007?

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:57 am

steve in SC wrote: He stated that they did TTWII -SE in 2001 and that someday he wanted to do the same for EOT.

Does this line give anyone else the same feeling of foreboding that it gives to me???

Having these idiots say that they want to do the same thing to EOT that they did to TTWII is akin to hearing Hitler say he wants to do the same thing to your country that he did to Poland.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:43 am

welk i certainly hope this comes out in 2007.....after ALL the fantastic boot stuff we recently have they would be mad not to miss the marketing opportunity for this box set in 2007!!!! :x :)

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:59 am

I hope it's more than 2 discs. 6-8 should do the trick :wink:

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:17 am

WildStyle wrote:I hope it's more than 2 discs. 6-8 should do the trick :wink:

Yeah, and who would pay for it, besides from die-hard fans?

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:38 am

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
WildStyle wrote:I hope it's more than 2 discs. 6-8 should do the trick :wink:

Yeah, and who would pay for it, besides from die-hard fans?

The same people who buy all the Simpsons, Star Trek, Friends, Seinfeld, 24, West Wing, Beatles, Live Aid/8 etc. multi-box sets.........there is obviously a market for this type of release.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:00 pm

Scatter, I was reading it the same way as you were.

Don't let anyone use the release of ETTWII as a model on how to promote special edition dvd sets.

And everyone and his grandma knows that one extra disc ain't gonna cut it. Any which a way you look at it.

The matrix had a 10 disc set. Elvis on tour deserves that.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:52 pm

I don't need a 10 disc set. To start with, a 2 disc release would be great.. It's nice to have something new years from now right?

I am worried though, just as you guys: 2007 is pretty near.. It's quite a job to produce projects like this. If they don't start working on this project asap, there's no way it's gonna be out by 2007..

My hope is fading... :(

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:07 pm

I don't hope that we get the original movie, but a special edition like they did with TTWII.

A total remastering of the footage and changes of the scenes would be fine. Why is I Got A woman at the end of the movie instead after See See rider? lol.

The other disc should be a disc with the best available outtakes, or maybe a complete concert. (That's better) :wink:

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:59 pm

No, not the original On Tour please. New material would be great and why not a 4 DVD set ? There's plenty of material.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:20 pm

Jak, I think you´re right. It´s not that mystique, but I really want a 4 DVD (or more) boxed set! O.K.?

Talk About The Good Times!

O.S.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:13 pm

jak wrote:Would a multi disc set be financially feasible?EOT doesnt have the mystique of the 68 Special or Aloha to boost sales I dont think.The general public would probably be tentative to pay for a 3 dvd set much alone anything over that.Maybe if they marketed it properley it might catch the public's imagination but Im not sure.Overall I think that release if it does happen will be geared for us diehards.

You could not be more right....................................or prophetic.

Tom

Re: Elvis On Tour 2 dvd set in 2007?

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:29 pm

Scatter wrote:Having these idiots say that they want to do the same thing to EOT that they did to TTWII is akin to hearing Hitler say he wants to do the same thing to your country that he did to Poland.

I'm sure Ernst would be more than happy to help out on such a project to see that it was done right. However, even if it is done the same way as TTWII-SE, it is better than the alternative, I guess (nothing at all).

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:22 pm

I'm sure Ernst would be more than happy to help out on such a project to see that it was done right.

Given Ernst's track record on TTWII - he was the special consultant for the SE- DVD and his vision of the TTWII "Rehearsals" on CD was to have live tracks on when he has hours of material still sitting in the vaults : bad idea - I say get the Star productions guy(s) on the job ! :wink:

Million dollar question is how do we get them on the job ...

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:47 pm

As I understand it, Ernst was not at all satisfied with TTWII-SE and had limited participation. His track record is fine by me.

You're right though about the folks at Star. If Turner follows their lead, it will make for a very nice release.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:25 pm

There's a lot they could put on a 2-dvd release. 1,5 hour for the original movie with improved sound should leave more than 2 hours for outtake footage on disc 1, and the second disc with a complete concert, rehearsels and backstage material would still leave some space for additional songs.

At this time we have officially nothing and I would welcome any official 'On Tour' release at the moment.

But I certainly hope they handle it better than the TTWII-se production.....

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:43 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
jak wrote:Would a multi disc set be financially feasible?EOT doesnt have the mystique of the 68 Special or Aloha to boost sales I dont think.The general public would probably be tentative to pay for a 3 dvd set much alone anything over that.Maybe if they marketed it properley it might catch the public's imagination but Im not sure.Overall I think that release if it does happen will be geared for us diehards.

Tom

???

Can you elaborate, Tom??

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:57 pm

Hope this comes out on the new HD discs that could hold double the content ..if they ever come out ! :?

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:10 pm

Rob wrote:As I understand it, Ernst was not at all satisfied with TTWII-SE and had limited participation. His track record is fine by me.

You're right though about the folks at Star. If Turner follows their lead, it will make for a very nice release.

TTWII SE was handled poorly a few different ways,

a) obviously leaving out a few key songs, not to mention original SM ending.
b) DVD's were just starting so they weren't as popular as today.
c) Showed TTWII SE on TV just a few days before releasing it on DVD, thus people such as myself, taped it on their vcr's, what frickin morons!

If they do it properly, show clips of the unbelievable performances by our guy, these two will sell, and huge to boot!

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:40 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Tom in North Carolina wrote:

Tom

???

Can you elaborate, Tom??

Sure I can.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:45 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Sure I can.

You can and will when the time comes, won't ya? 8)

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:00 am

I really don't understand all the negativity toward TTWII-SE. Before it's release we had a release that had a less than perfect picture and mono sound. The SE release was a big improvement. Just getting rid of all the silly stuff(fans) and and adding unreleased rehearsals and concert performances was great. You can nickpick about this and that and there could have been more but overall it is fantastic and if I had to show one dvd to a non EP fan it would be this one.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:27 am

Regarding EOT: If it comes out one disc better be the ORIGINAL movie.
After that I don't care how they "improve" it by addition or subtraction.
Just so long as the original movie is part of the package. If it's not I won't buy it.

I made that mistake with TTWII SE.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:01 am

JerryNodak wrote:I made that mistake with TTWII SE.

What's the problem with TTWWII SE? It's a very cool DVD, isn't it?
And by the way, I think it is a bit over the top to call BMG employees "idiots" here.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:05 pm

I think the original version of Elvis On Tour is great and I hope we get it on DVD together with an additional disc containing the rehearsals and a complete concert.

TTWII SE is a superb movie and much better than the original. But the original should also be available in an upgraded version (better picture and sound).

However I have always liked Elvis on Tour better than That's the Way It Is. It's more exciting to watch Elvis doing a real concert on the road than his Vegas act.

I'm not sure that they could improve Elvis on Tour the way they did with TTWII. I could be wrong but of course we need the original versions even if we get new re-edited better versions. Releasing previously unreleased material is great and exciting but they could easily give us the original versions too.

Showing TTWII SE on TV before the DVD release with additional footage not on the DVD was so stupid. A lot of the fans are happy with a crappy VHS tape so how did they think that the DVD would sell after everybody had seen it and already had it on VHS? Including the second disc mentioned on the first DVDs might have worked better but idea was dropped in the last minute. Showing a shorter version on TV and then releasing the complete version on DVD (like they do with other artists) is another working concept.

We had a brand new Elvis movie and they showed it on TV instead of selling it on DVD! And then they are surprised it doesn't sell? The marketing people should go back to school and learn a little before they take on a project like this.

Personally I think all the fans should buy the DVD but I know that won't happen. But maybe they release the 2 disc version next year and I will have to buy it again? That way it will sell more so maybe they aren't that stupid after all?