All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:45 am

Thank God we're not wasting our time talking about the fact that this new release of this historic jam session was mastered from Elvis Presley's personal three reels, which had been missing but have finally been found -- thus giving Kevan Budd fresh, lower-generation source material to do his marvelous restoration work on and bringing us new material we've never heard before in the correct order and context for the first time ever.

I mean, really, thank God we don't let minutae like that distract us from what's REALLY important around here.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:56 am

elvissessions.com wrote:Thank God we're not wasting our time talking about the fact that this new release of this historic jam session was mastered from Elvis Presley's personal three reels, which had been missing but have finally been found -- thus giving Kevan Budd fresh, lower-generation source material to do his marvelous restoration work on and bringing us new material we've never heard before in the correct order and context for the first time ever.

Or that I've offered many posts on this MB in the past few years outlining the need for such a release, including a complete listing of the proper order of all known tracks officially issued between 1990 and 2005.

In reference to your comment, my understanding is that Kevan primarily, but not exclusively, utilized the reels from the Presley Graceland archives.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:37 am

I thought that they searched through everything in Elvis' personal collection before, looking for tapes/acetates?

Some of that material was used on the "Golden Celebration" box set right?

So how was this found recently?

Rich

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:35 am

Elvissessions.com wrote:

Thank God we're not wasting our time talking about the fact that this new release of this historic jam session was mastered from Elvis Presley's personal three reels, which had been missing but have finally been found -- thus giving Kevan Budd fresh, lower-generation source material to do his marvelous restoration work on and bringing us new material we've never heard before in the correct order and context for the first time ever.

I mean, really, thank God we don't let minutae like that distract us from what's REALLY important around here.

I for one am really looking forward to this release. So it was found on 3 reels? I didn't know that. It looks like this will be the complete deal.
And I am really forward to seeing it on the FTD label as the doc says.
(a sarcastic slip that I am really sorry for)

It should be really great.
This along with the last hayride show, re-release of Hawaii 61, the sun book/cd set, Elvis on tour, and who knows what else will make this a banner year indeed.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:23 am

Rich_TCB wrote:I thought that they searched through everything in Elvis' personal collection before, looking for tapes/acetates? Some of that material was used on the "Golden Celebration" box set right? So how was this found recently?

Yes, yes (not MDQ material though) and not too long ago.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:10 am

re: '80s-era LP:
KempoDick wrote:This is the "Laurel" release that Gregory Nolan Jr. is refering to;

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Thanks for posting, Dick. The first time I lay eyes on this fake

Laurel release. How nice, they copied the colorized photo from the

MDQ frontcover... :roll: Do they give me a credit on the backcover?

Bunch of wankers.

Thanks for the pictures, Kempo. I hear what you're saying, Ger, but in hindsight, this was another avenue for fans to get his hard-to-find material before RCA officially released it. I never saw any other version at the time and just didn't know any better, so it remains a treasure for me, dupe or not. There's no excuse for that, but that's my first take on it.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:40 pm

The Doc did not post anything on this thread that was wrong.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:01 pm

Spellbinder wrote:The Doc did not post anything on this thread that was wrong.

You are wrong Spellbinder!!! :wink:

8)

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:04 pm

just imagine what would happen in this thread if BMG changed their minds again and released the Thousandthreehundred Dollar Quartet on FTD ...
:smt067 :smt065

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:42 pm

Quote: just imagine what would happen in this thread if BMG changed their minds again and released the Thousandthreehundred Dollar Quartet on FTD ...

So now its the $1,300 dollar quartet? How did drop in value so quickly?

Smellbinder wrote:

The Doc did not post anything on this thread that was wrong.

Is this your new mantra? Keep repeating it enough times and all is well.

The world is flat. The world is flat. I can play along too.

Dude he contradicted himself, what more do you want?

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:08 pm

> So now its the $1,300 dollar quartet? How did drop in value so quickly?

Be careful when investing in quartets.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:29 pm

If the Doc posted anything on this thread that was wrong will someone please quote exactly what it was?

I've scrutinised his postings and I can't find anything.

Perhaps the closest he gets is when he says "When you see the disc in the familiar FTD cardboard case, with FTD on the label, maybe you'll change your mind."

Well - that's true - when we see that maybe we will change our minds. The fact it isn't going to happen is irrelevant - it doesn't make his statement incorrect. Note: he never actually comes out and says it will be released on the FTD label. He is always (well, almost always) very careful about his wording. And I personally think that's good - precision and accuracy in communications should be encouraged.

It's also equally important to read carefully what someone posts and avoid putting your own (often biased) interpretation on it.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Spellbinder wrote:If the Doc posted anything on this thread that was wrong will someone please quote exactly what it was? I've scrutinised his postings and I can't find anything ... Note: he never actually comes out and says it will be released on the FTD label.

Thank you for your intelligent observations.

And, in passing, may I say that your avatar is terrific.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:And, in passing, may I say that your avatar is terrific.

Thanks. It's been my favourite Elvis pic ever since I was a 15 year old lad. It is only in (relatively) recent years I discovered it was taken during the King Creole sessions.

Ah - King Creole - my favourite Elvis movie, my favourite movie soundtrack.

Ah - nostalgia. Even that isn't what it used to be.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:29 pm

smellbinder wrote: Note: he never actually comes out and says it will be released on the FTD label.

I have, and others have noted the postings already in the thread.

Perhaps you should read carefully.

Some thing you need to work on big time.

This is just another attempt at bob & weave. Duck and dodge.

This reminds me of former president Clinton explaining that he didn't lie when he said he didn't have sex with that woman.

"It all depends on what your definition of the word is, is"

The whole thing is totally halarious and it says alot about someone when they are totally incapable of admitting they were "mistaken".

This "problem" has happened too numerous times to mention.

The "problem" is communication skills that are lacking.

Pull out your 8th grade grammer book there buddy.

If he "meant" to say, "It was originally going to come out on FTD, but then they changed their minds and now its coming out on BMG", then why didn't he say so? He was very precise and arrogant with his posts.

So sure of himself that he wrote it as if the covers had already been printed.

Ok, jury, what you say?

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:41 pm

I repeat - if the Doc posted anything on this thread that was wrong will someone please quote exactly what it was?

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:43 pm

I hope you guys are enjoying making fools out of yourselves because at least then somebody is and this line of discussion won't be the utter waste of time and energy it appears to be to everyone else.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:47 pm

As someone who has fallen into the trap as well, I agree with E.S.

Let's get back to discussing MDQ, folks :!: :lol:

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:09 am

What an insult to intelligence, mature behavior, and common sense this thread has become. As elvissessions.com said (and said it well), this kind of behavior continually reminds readers why this board is so often almost unbearable to visit. I know of at least one person that visits this place less and less because of so many of its immature members.

I don't own a copy of this session, so I'm excited to see a complete and remastered CD of this raw music. And while I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I don't understand why this is being released on BMG. Ernst Jorgenson has previously stated that a release needs "sales appeal" to see mainstream release, and if the finely polished masters on Elvis Is Back! and Something for Everybody don't warrant release for the general public, I don't see how off-mike, un-rehearsed, amateur recordings do.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:51 am

I don't own a copy of this session, so I'm excited to see a complete and remastered CD of this raw music. And while I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I don't understand why this is being released on BMG. Ernst Jorgenson has previously stated that a release needs "sales appeal" to see mainstream release, and if the finely polished masters on Elvis Is Back! and Something for Everybody don't warrant release for the general public, I don't see how off-mike, un-rehearsed, amateur recordings do.

First of all, there isn't always much logic behind the BMG release philosophy. Secondly, BMG will promote the hell out of the idea that Elvis, Jerry, Carl and Johnny are performing together on one release. They'll move a few units on the nostalgia element alone.

Yes, a brilliant album such as "Elvis Is Back!" should be promoted and issued as a mainstream release. That arguement is like beating a dead horse on this site. Consumers purchasing Elvis material need a little push as to what they should buy. Plenty of money was spent telling them to purchase E1. A little money and some creative marketing could entice potential Elvis consumers to purchase important titles like "Elvis Is Back!," "From Elvis In Memphis," and "Elvis Country." The label could make money and the artistic legacy of Elvis' body of work could have some legitimate cohesiveness. But, in many instances BMG views Elvis as a product, not an artist. Their chief concern is maximizing as much money from sales of themed compilations instead of establishing some credibility to one of music's greatest musical talents. That may be a profitable business practice, but some artistic integrity behind one of music's most important catalogues is worth some fiscal compromise. It is old and sad news....

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:01 am

midnightx wrote:

First of all, there isn't always much logic behind the BMG release philosophy. Secondly, BMG will promote the hell out of the idea that Elvis, Jerry, Carl and Johnny are performing together on one release. They'll move a few units on the nostalgia element alone.

Yes, a brilliant album such as "Elvis Is Back!" should be promoted and issued as a mainstream release. That arguement is like beating a dead horse on this site. Consumers purchasing Elvis material need a little push as to what they should buy. Plenty of money was spent telling them to purchase E1. A little money and some creative marketing could entice potential Elvis consumers to purchase important titles like "Elvis Is Back!," "From Elvis In Memphis," and "Elvis Country." The label could make money and the artistic legacy of Elvis' body of work could have some legitimate cohesiveness. But, in many instances BMG views Elvis as a product, not an artist. Their chief concern is maximizing as much money from sales of themed compilations instead of establishing some credibility to one of music's greatest musical talents. That may be a profitable business practice, but some artistic integrity behind one of music's most important catalogues is worth some fiscal compromise. It is old and sad news....

Well, I don't have a problem with "MDQ" as a BMG release. This works in our favor, in that we'll have to spend $10-$14 for this release, instead of $25-$35 if it was an FTD release.

However...

As Peter Franks points out, why is this worthy - but not "Elvis Is Back"?

:(

Rich

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:25 am

I don't know what the problem is, MDQ has already been out on the BMG label, so it's not a new release but just considered an upgrade. They've upgraded "Elvis", "Elvis Presley" and "Loving You" to great success so, so why not MDQ? Besides the new master sounds so much better than the old release, few people will complain about the sound quality this time (or mistake it for a cheap home recording), as it will be phenomenal. With the 50th anniversary of these recordings around the corner this release will give BMG a lot of traction, similar to "Elvis at SUN".
Last edited by thenexte on Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:31 am

Rich_TCB wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Well, I don't have a problem with "MDQ" as a BMG release. This works in our favor, in that we'll have to spend $10-$14 for this release, instead of $25-$35 if it was an FTD release.

However...

As Peter Franks points out, why is this worthy - but not "Elvis Is Back"?

:(

Rich

my guess is MDQ sold well, or at least reasonable enough, and Elvis Is Back didn't. but hey, just a guess! :wink:

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:59 am

Peter Franks wrote:I don't own a copy of this session, so I'm excited to see a complete and remastered CD of this raw music. And while I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I don't understand why this is being released on BMG. Ernst Jorgenson has previously stated that a release needs "sales appeal" to see mainstream release, and if the finely polished masters on Elvis Is Back! and Something for Everybody don't warrant release for the general public, I don't see how off-mike, un-rehearsed, amateur recordings do.

First, Peter, a rap on your knuckles for not owning this yet! Get cracking! I suppose this release was for laggards like you! :wink: :lol:

Seriously, I hadn't thought of it your way, but you make some sense. I still hold out some hope for ELVIS IS BACK or FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS remaining in print. You can still find the '99 versions in some stores, so maybe there is an evil genius at work and maybe the 'genre' and forthcoming "new" (!) 2006 Elvis Christmas compilation somehow make terrific sense...!

Still:
thenexte wrote:I don't know what the problem is, MDQ has already been out on the BMG label, so it's not a new release but just considered an upgrade. They've upgraded "Elvis", "Elvis Presley" and "Loving You" to great success so, so why not MDQ? Besides the new master sounds so much better than the old release, few people will complain about the sound quality this time (or mistake it for a cheap home recording), as it will be phenomenal. With the 50th anniversary of these recordings around the corner this release will give BMG a lot of traction, similar to "Elvis at SUN".

That's a good response, thenexte. They can reissue this MDQ set every five years if they want to, along with other key recordings. The point, for me, is to keep this stuff alive and in coherent (usually original) form for those, like Peter, who have misssed it the first go-'round. It's the usual "Slice & Dice" retread compilations that get my goat, good sound excepted.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:17 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
thenexte wrote:I don't know what the problem is, MDQ has already been out on the BMG label, so it's not a new release but just considered an upgrade. They've upgraded "Elvis", "Elvis Presley" and "Loving You" to great success so, so why not MDQ? Besides the new master sounds so much better than the old release, few people will complain about the sound quality this time (or mistake it for a cheap home recording), as it will be phenomenal. With the 50th anniversary of these recordings around the corner this release will give BMG a lot of traction, similar to "Elvis at SUN".

That's a good response, thenexte. They can reissue this MDQ set every five years if they want to, along with other key recordings. The point, for me, is to keep this stuff alive and in coherent (usually original) form for those, like Peter, who have misssed it the first go-'round. It's the usual "Slice & Dice" retread compilations that get my goat, good sound excepted.

Actually, as the inclusion of the "Reconsider Baby" outtake on the "Complete 50's Masters" box set shows they *did* have these new source tapes available back then. They could have simply reissued MDQ at any time during the last 15 years but wisely chose not to and waited for the right opportunity, which is the 50th anniversary of the session. You gotta give them some credit for that, like it or not.

For me that clearly shows a departure from past release strategies to a more mature stance. I would bet they will take a fairly similar approach to many other original albums and rerelease them when the time is right, just as they've done with "Elvis", "Elvis Presley" and "Loving You". There is nothing to be gained by rush-rereleasing Elvis catalog as they did in the 90's, that's clearly a lesson they've learned.