All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:55 am

PiersEIN wrote:What makes you believe that this will be a FTD release ...

Hmm, let me think. Why would I posit such a theory? Why?

After Kevan Budd completed remastering of the MDQ tapes -- and this was a long while ago -- it was designated an FTD project. I didn't have to "read and learn" -- I got my information from the source, as per usual.

Dare I say, challenge someone else on the MB, Peirs? ! ?

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:30 am

Make of this what you will. I'll not comment or take sides. No information on my part except a Google search, so I'm not qualified to say one way or the other:

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?merchId=113089&skuId=113112

Re: million dollar

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JLGB wrote:I thought the guy that bought Sun in the mid 60s (Shelby Singleton) was the one that put out that release on his Sun label and there was a dispute ...

My understanding is Shelby tried to issue the MDQ across two or three LPs in 1978, even prepping "mock" covers on the SUN label, but it went no further because of RCA's threats to bring legal action.

In 1981, Charly (UK) released a knock-off of the OMD bootleg LP, and it seemed to avoid legal problems. Why, I do not know. Charly did the same thing in 1989, after S Records put out their two record set, but before RCA issued the tracks in 1990.

The FTD release will certainly end the debate once and for all ... maybe.
Thanks for info.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:24 am

DJC wrote: I got my information from the source, as per usual.

You should keep in mind that these sources that work in the industry don't always get things right. Remember they said that we would be getting an hour of extra footage for the special edition of ETTWII.

The release date is now less than 5 weeks away and we don't know what label it will be on?

Does your source tell you why Johnny Cash isn't on those tapes?

Perhaps that will be in the booklet for the new set.

There are so many cool releases coming in the next year that it will be
great to be an Elvis fan..

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:02 am

I honestly didn't plan on this, but I have confirmation.

I crossed paths with Ernst after he finished dinner at the Memphis East Marriott about an hour and a half ago. ("The Blue Shoe," what kind of name is that for a restaurant, by the way.)

Anyway, while making small talk about whether he'd be making a presentation to us tomorrow (he will, but it probably will be only 10 to 15 minutes), I told him I'd heard the Million Dollar Quartet would be out next month, and he confirmed.

Then I asked him whether it would be on the main label or on FTD. He confirmed it will be the main label. Half-jokingly I told him I always like things released on the main label because it keeps slots open on the FTD schedule for other releases.

He said that they have the discussion "all the time" about what to release on which label and that BMG had decided to give the MDQ a shot on the main label.

(So, OK, folks, all those people who bitch about all the genre compilations, here's your chance to get out there and support the release of classic recordings intact, beautifully restored and with new material added. So put your money where your mouth is.)
Last edited by elvissessions on Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:09 am

This is fantastic. I think the main label is the place for it to be anyway. You have Jerry Lee and Carl Perkins fans to think about as well so this seems the logical choice.

I am not sure if Johnny Cash fans buy it just for the cover?

DJC you need to get new sources!!

So when it comes out in all its main label glory,
with BMG on the label and cover,
maybe you will change your mind!?!? :wink:

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:57 am

"Read & Learn"

The Elvis Information Network

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:00 pm

I don't think the Doc will be back visiting this thread! :lol:

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:01 pm

This is the "Laurel" release that Gregory Nolan Jr. is refering to;

million dollar

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:42 pm

... Thanks for posting, Dick. The first time I lay eyes on this fake

Laurel release. How nice, they copied the colorized photo from the

MDQ frontcover... :roll: Do they give me a credit on the backcover?

Bunch of wankers.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:40 am

Dr John wrote:

After Kevan Budd completed remastering of the MDQ tapes -- and this was a long while ago -- it was designated an FTD project. I didn't have to "read and learn" -- I got my information from the source, as per usual.

Poor ol' Doctor..got his diagnoses wrong...ah, the geat mistake, still one can always humble oneself and say "Sorry Piers, you were right, the concept has been updated to the Major label for release."

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:17 am

it's better than any same old concert lineup from fall 1974 now that's boring.
the 50's music is better.
you don't have to buy it dude.

KEVAN

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:39 pm

mjjj
Last edited by TONY on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saw the complete tracklist on another site..

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:41 pm

"The Complete Million Dollar Quartet"
Release Date; Sep.19, 2006

For the first time ever, the COMPLETE RECORDED SESSION in the ORIGINAL SEQUENCE with 12 more minutes than any other previous release!

Track Listing:

Instrumental
Love Me Tender - Instrumental
Jingle Bells - Instrumental
White Christmas - Instrumental
Reconsider Baby
Don't Be Cruel
Don't Be Cruel
Paralyzed
Don't Be Cruel
There's No Place Like Home
When The Saints Go Marchin' In
Softly And Tenderly
When God Dips His Love In My Heart
Just A Little Talk With Jesus
Jesus Walked That Lonesome Valley (with extra verse)
I Shall Not Be Moved
Peace In The Valley
Down By The Riverside
I'm With The Crowd But So Alone
Father Along
Blessed Jesus Hold My Hand
On The Jericho Road
I Just Can't Make It By Myself
Little Cabin Home On The Hill
Summertime Is Past And Gone
Sweetheart, You Done Me Wrong
Keeper Of The Key (Carl Perkins - Lead)
Crazy Arms
Crazy Arms
Don't Forbid Me
Too Much Monkey Business
Brown Eyed Handsome Man
Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
Brown Eyed Handsome Man
Don't Forbid Me
You Belong To My Heart
Is It So Strange
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
Brown Eyed Handsome Man
Rip It Up
I'm Gonna Bid My Blues Goodbye
Crazy Arms
That's My Desire (with extra verse)
End Of The Road
Black Bottom Stomp
You're The Only Star In My Blue Heaven
(Elvis Says Goodbye)

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:27 am

archdeak wrote:Poor ol' Doctor..got his diagnoses wrong...ah, the geat mistake ...

I didn't get anything "wrong." As confirmed by ES's conversation with Ernst, the original intent was for FTD with this project until BMG very recently decided to step in and put it on the main label instead.

"Archdeak" -- when I make the "geat mistake" you'll be the first in line for a PM.

Kylan, wrong as usual, get back to your text-messaging buddies. What's that number? Oh yeah, 1-800-MEIDIOT.

Re: Saw the complete tracklist on another site..

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:08 am

Magnus wrote:Instrumental
Love Me Tender - Instrumental
Jingle Bells - Instrumental
White Christmas - Instrumental
Reconsider Baby

I guess this is the unreleased part!! Very nice!

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:26 am

PiersEIN wrote:
What makes you believe that this will be a FTD release ...

Dear Doc,
You are usually right, I agree.
However you said, on Aug 11 "The FTD release will certainly end the debate once and for all"

Sorry, but this time I was right, you were wrong.

The MDQ is NOT going to be a FTD release, but a BMG release as I confirmed.
Yes, it was originally going to be a FTD release (I knew that too) but I already had the information that (by early August) they had changed their mind to make it a BMG release.
Mr Budd had already sent the glass master for BMG printing.
Thus from the start of this posting I knew that I was right & hence I had the audacity to challenge you.

Cheers
Piers

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:16 am

Piers, that fake doctor guy will never admit he was wrong. When he is wrong he tries to change the angle a bit by saying the "original intent", which everyone that understands English knows that the thread was about,
which label IS the release going to be on, not which label it WAS going to be on.

Doctor, here is some advice. Put on your goggles, keep your eye on the road, and try to follow along.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:35 am

ekenee wrote:... everyone that understands English knows that the thread was about, which label IS the release going to be on, not which label it WAS going to be on.

You must be one of those who doesn't understand English.

This thread was about a MDQ session statement:

Swede Boy wrote:According to Elvis world;Japan this will be released this September 19th. Sounds cool.

Where is the bit about labels?

Doctor, here is some advice. Put on your goggles, keep your eye on the road, and try to follow along.

Tiny fool, after you've "put on your goggles," then feel free to be smug and attempt to pass judgement on me.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:06 am

DJC wrote:

Where is the bit about labels?

Oh wait..... let me see.... it's right here.

"When you see the disc in the familiar FTD cardboard case, with FTD on the label, maybe you'll change your mind ..."

Lets see now, who wrote that....lets see....could it be....yeah it was one...

Dr. John Carpenter!

You are literally disagreeing with yourself dufus.

Why don't you just give this one up while you are waaaaaaay behind.

Read and comprehend there Lord Peabrain.

PS. So what's on the menu for breakfast tomorrow there Doc?

A nice big slice of humble pie perhaps.

Go ahead and eat the whole pie. You deserve it.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:32 am

Nowhere in this thread does the Doc state that the release will definitely be on the FTD label and not on the regular BMG/RCA label (although he comes pretty close to indicating he believes this to be the case).

He is not therefore "wrong".

Too many people frequenting this MB do not (or cannot?) appear to read accurately. And too many people just want the Doc to be wrong (I wonder why?).

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:37 am

Smellbinder:

You are mistaken. You and the doc like to take words and sentences and break them up, and practice the ancient art of double-talk, or in the internet vernacular, double-chat. You seem to find some satisfaction with someone just taking the time to call you on your double-sh*t.
It is the same idiotic compulsive disorder that compells someone to correct someone else's spelling errors, even though they are typo's most of the time.

I know, and you know, and the world knows what he wrote and what he meant. You can twist it, squeeze it, and ring it out for all I care, but there was no mistaking what he wrote and then try to back peddle his way out of it.

If he chooses to ride the "high-horse", he will get knocked off once in a while.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:15 pm

Is there really any reason for prolonging this pissing match?

... I mean besides trying to cement our reputation as the nastiest Elvis site on the Web.

How about we give it a rest? As thousands gather to prepare for the long trek up the hill to honor our hero, we're sitting around quarreling over ... what exactly?

If only we could expend one-tenth of this time and energy on something productive, perhaps we might accomplish something around here besides acting like churlish half-wits.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:18 am

Hey Doc, I'm not following you around like a little (cute) puppy dog....but,

You were totally WRONG
And Piers was totally right. As he usually is about such matters!!!

Read and learn !!!

:lol:

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:27 am

sam wrote:Hey Doc, I'm not following you around like a little (cute) puppy dog...

Oh, of course you're not ... it's just another coincidence.