All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:12 pm

rgray_69 wrote:According to http://www.musictap.net/ The Complete Million Dollar Quartet from Elvis Presley will be released from RCA on September 19. This most likely is the Kevin Budd version.

Keith F, is this what you're talking about? Thanks for the info btw rgray_69!

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:26 am

On EIN news today -

'The Complete Million Dollar Quartet' BMG release update: BMG Australia has confirmed that 'The Complete Million Dollar Quartet' will also be released "downunder" around September 19th. This version will be the complete tape and with audio restoration by Kevan Budd ('Elvis At Sun', 'Elvis Presley'). The session will be in the correct order of songs sung and will feature material never before released. Kevan Budd has done some incredible audio restoration work in past (for instance the acetates on the 'Loving You' FTD) so we can expect this insight into Rock'n'Roll history with Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis & Carl Perkins to be well-worth purchasing. (News Source: EIN/SonyBMG)

If Kevan has slaved over this, then I am happy to buy the sessions one more time - and complete at that.

Cheers
Piers

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:41 am

Deadringer wrote:Yes and also "remastered" version of Hawaii 61. The problem - NOTHING NEW AT ALL.

How do you know? Are they remastering the same tape or aren't they using a different tape source? If so, it could be a more complete tape.
What we have is not totally complete.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:03 pm

"Hey, 'Deadringer: ...."

:twisted: :lol:

Just kidding, Deadringer!

ImageImage

Not a big sound difference? Sorry, deadringer, but almost anything remastered of late sounds infinitely better from late '80s and early '90s releases. You don't have to be JLGB or thenexte or midnightx or another audiophile to feel this way.

The same is true for even later into the decade and some would say even the '99 releases are now surpassed.

But I had forgotten your feelings about Kevan Budd.... :roll: :lol:

I disagree with you about the MDQ (do you share the same feeling toward '70s audience tapes, which are "jams" of a sort and of low fidelity? :lol: )....And they don't even have history going for them, even though I love that they're being released and enjoy many of them.

I likewise come back to these sides only on occasion. You're not really expected to play the hell out of such a disc.

But I did do that when I first got it on a Laurel Lp in the '80s. Fascinating stuff, at the time! It was a revelation, if falling somewhat short of expectations....

It's an indispensable part of Elvis history and rock'n'roll history, in the same way that the dressing room tapes from the '68 special are must-have listening...
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:20 pm

I tell you what. I will buy this one, because I never bought it before. Can you believe that ? It's true. I was waiting for the complete tape in a good sound... :lol:

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:22 pm

Kevan Budd's FTD remaster of the MDQ -- in proper chronological order for the first time -- likely utilizes the same improved source heard on the MDQ snippet from 2002's Today, Tomorrow & Forever box. Give that a listen and appreciate the difference.

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:But I did do that when I first got it on a Laurel Lp in the '80s. Fascinating stuff, at the time! It was a revelation, if falling somewhat short of expectations ...

It was never issued on a Laurel LP -- the label was OMD.

Given that this LP presented less than half of the session, and in average quality, it's no wonder it didn't meet your expectations. However, I was excited and honored when I got a copy back in 1981. This was music I never thought I'd hear! And Elvis ruled the day, naturally.

Hey

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:50 am

Lets wait and see (hear), OK? The sound will be better, I guess. And I am more interested in the sound than in the stuff here... I wrote MDQ is boring as a hell to me and I still think so.

::: The same is true for even later into the decade and some would say even the '99 releases are now surpassed.

- some of them, yes. But not all of them.

::: But I had forgotten your feelings about Kevan Budd.... Rolling Eyes Laughing

- I have nothing against K. Nudd and I wrote it several times. I like his work and I wish that others will do the same dedicated job... the original topic was comparison of K.B. with D.B. And I do not like a$$lickers who praise one man a God and shot the other one.

:::I disagree with you about the MDQ

- your opinion that I fully respect, dude!

::: do you share the same feeling toward '70s audience tapes, which are "jams" of a sort and of low fidelity? Laughing

- hard to speak about the real fidelity of audience tapes...

::: And I concur that I come back to these sides only on occasion. You're not really expected to play the hell out of such a disc.

- there are really not too many CDs that I play often.... recently I enjoyed ELVIS PRESLEY 2CD, I FOUND MY THRILL, LET IT ROLL and TENENSSEE STARLIGHT.... not CLAMBAKE s**t, not Tiger Man I,II,III etc...

::: But I did do that when I first got it on a Laurel Lp in the '80s. Fascinating stuff, at the time! It was a revelation, if falling somewhat short of expectations....

- agree.

::: It's an indispensable part of Elvis history and rock'n'roll history, in the same way that the dressing room tapes from the '68 special are must-have listening...

- for some reason I like 68 dressing room rehearsals 1000 x more than MDQ .... do not ask me why. OK I can say I hate MDQ. You hate other stuff. Everyone like certain songs, sessions, CDs, DVDs and hate others... the world will be really boring if everyone will like every Elvis song.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:14 am

I agree, 'Ring." It's a tad heavy on gospel for so-many rockers getting together, but "that's the way it was..." :D

drjohncarpenter wrote:It was never issued on a Laurel LP -- the label was OMD.

That's odd. :shock:

The copy in my collection ("The Rock'nRoll Tapes" ) distinctly states it is the "Laurel" label -circa 1989.

And I have this strange memory of buying it at Bleeker Bob's in Greenwich Village. :wink: :lol:

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:54 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:The copy in my collection ("The Rock'nRoll Tapes" ) distinctly states it is the "Laurel" label -circa 1989.

Fascinating!

The beautiful cover posted above is the debut of the MDQ, a single bootleg LP issued circa 1981. Oddly enough, the actual label doesn't have "Laurel" anywhere on it:

There would not be another edition until 1989, a double bootleg LP in excellent sound on S Records. Oddly, no "Laurel" connection there, either! RCA would issue this exact lineup on LP and CD in 1990.

Whatever you have is a counterfeit of either the 1981 or 1989 release.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:59 am

gregory can post the cover of the one you have. I remember there being another one disc version as well, but i can't recall the label.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:54 am

Any info on what´s really new in this release???

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:29 am

Folks, now that I have it in front of me, the full title of the LP was (is) :

"The Million Dollar Quartet: The Rock 'N' Roll Tapes"

I don't have a scanner and in the past have been unable to find it via internet searches, so I'll describe it.

I'm not so sure if this is the same "Laurel" label that later (?) came about in the Elvis import world.

This is Laurel "EJC-120456".

The insignia for "Laurel" is a circular Roman-style "laurel" that would be put around an Olympic champion or similar victor.

The attractive cover looks like a close up of American currency ("Million Dollar...") with a '50s era (pre-56) shot of Elvis grinning back from where the President normally would be.

Judging from those acclaimed and occasionally primitive LP covers shown recently on the popular "Them Bootlegs" thread, this one is quite attractive.

Other than the Elvis shot, it nowhere else mentions his name on the cover or back-cover, except for the final track. The back-cover is red on top with the familiar MDQ photo of the King and his Court....

Nowhere on the green-labeled black vinyl does it give a date, so this apparent "knock-off" could have come out any time in the '80s before my purchase of it in '89.

I had was an "RCA-only" sort of Elvis fan who had heard via an older friend of some legendary sessions with other Sun artists and frankly it seemed on par with the tales of Robert Johnson going down to the crossroads or the tale of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Johnny Winter engaging in a drunken live supposedly bootlegged gig called "Woke Up This Morning and Found Myself Dead." At least two of those later were proved to be bona fide events that were recorded, so when I saw this LP (having probably read of it in Rolling Stone as well) I didn't hesistate. I thought my friend was pulling leg until I saw the actual record. :oops:

The Line-up on this LP is:
"Side 1":

Dont' Be Cruel
Paralyzed
Don't Be Cruel #2
There's No Place Like Home
When the Saints Go Marching In
Softly and Tenderly
You Belong To My Heart
When God Dips His Love In My Heart
Just a Little Talk With Jesus

"Side 2":
Don't Forbid Me
Brown Eyed Handsome Man
Out of Sight, Out of Mind
Brown Eyed Handsome Man #2
Is It So Strange?
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
Brown Eyed Handsome Man #3
Rip It Up
I'm Gonna Bid My Blues Goodbye
Crazy Arms
That's My Desire
End of the Road
Jerry's Boogie
You're the Only Star In My Blue Heaven
Elvis Farewell

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:34 am

Your disc is a knock-off of the second half of the 1989 S Records bootleg, programmed to be a "companion" to the original single LP from 1981.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:04 am

Thanks for the info, Doc. This satiated me until the mid to late '90s, when I finally picked up the offical RCA CD.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:08 am

I got the Sun from 1981 1006 that was the year the hoopla first started about the recording and the legal mess that followed or :? ....Any thoughts? Technically on Sun it was not a bootleg although pulled...

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:57 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the Sun from 1981 1006 that was the year the hoopla first started about the recording and the legal mess that followed or ....Any thoughts? Technically on Sun it was not a bootleg although pulled...

Ok, that's the one I was thinking of. It was actually considered the "Charly" label if I am not mistaken.

I had that one at one time but sold it. I still have the one on OMD label and the S records 2 disc set.

By the way, if you are curious. OMD stands for "one million dollar", just in case some of you didn't pick up on that.

million dollar

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:41 am

... OMD was the very first to come out with this material.

I did both the cover and label design. Vic had the lps pressed.

The later, Laurel release, had nothing to do with the Laurel, who

did Loving You and Jailhouse Rock Sessions. Havent we been thru

all this on the bootleg thread, not too long ago?

Re: million dollar

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:34 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... OMD was the very first to come out with this material.

I thought the guy that bought Sun in the mid 60s (Shelby Singleton) was the one that put out that release on his Sun label and there was a dispute with RCA alleging that it was recorded (true) when Elvis was exclusive RCA artist? And the lawsuit or threat made the album pulled from circulation??? :?

Re: million dollar

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:29 pm

JLGB wrote:I thought the guy that bought Sun in the mid 60s (Shelby Singleton) was the one that put out that release on his Sun label and there was a dispute ...

My understanding is Shelby tried to issue the MDQ across two or three LPs in 1978, even prepping "mock" covers on the SUN label, but it went no further because of RCA's threats to bring legal action.

In 1981, Charly (UK) released a knock-off of the OMD bootleg LP, and it seemed to avoid legal problems. Why, I do not know. Charly did the same thing in 1989, after S Records put out their two record set, but before RCA issued the tracks in 1990.

The FTD release will certainly end the debate once and for all ... maybe.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:56 pm

DJC wrote:
The FTD release will certainly end the debate once and for all ... maybe.

I still have seen not documentation that this will be on FTD.

Looks like a BMG release to me.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:32 pm

ekenee wrote:I still have seen not documentation that this will be on FTD. Looks like a BMG release to me.

When you see the disc in the familiar FTD cardboard case, with FTD on the label, maybe you'll change your mind ...

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:19 pm

Yeah maybe I would. I am only saying the only thing I have read is that it will be a BMG release. I am hoping for that too. Spending $30 for something that I already have 90% of really bugs me.

mdq

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi Kevan,
Are you able to say wether you had a new or different source tape to work with on the forthcoming re-issue?
Thanks,
TONY

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:32 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... OMD was the very first to come out with this material.

I remember bringing it up but in fact have to read the last few pages of that thread... :oops: Maybe I'll revive that thread. It's a keeper. :lol:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... sc&start=0

ekenee wrote:Yeah maybe I would. I am only saying the only thing I have read is that it will be a BMG release. I am hoping for that too. Spending $30 for something that I already have 90% of really bugs me.

Having Elvis dead for nearly 30 years really gets my goat. :lol:

It's all gravy at this point, fellows. :wink:

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:41 am

Hi Doc,
What makes you believe that this will be a FTD release when BMG have confirmed that it is a world-wide BMG release?

Do I dare say "Read & Learn"? ! ?

Cheers
Piers

'The Complete Million Dollar Quartet' BMG release update: BMG Australia has confirmed that 'The Complete Million Dollar Quartet' will also be released "downunder" around September 19th. (News Source: EIN/SonyBMG)