All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Million Dollar Quartet sessions

Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:54 pm

According to Elvis world;Japan this will be released this September 19th. Sounds cool.

Re: Million Dollar Quartet sessions

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:25 am

Swede Boy wrote:According to Elvis world;Japan this will be released this September 19th. Sounds cool.

If this is the 2 CD Charly set, it's not worth your time or money. Do a search of this MB to read a detailed discussion of this subject.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:44 am

Kevan Budd has already remastered the complete session, and in the correct order of songs sung.

It will eventually come out on FTD, so you might as well wait and get the BEST version of this in the best possible sound!

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:21 pm

Keith F wrote:Kevan Budd has already remastered the complete session, and in the correct order of songs sung.

It will eventually come out on FTD, so you might as well wait and get the BEST version of this in the best possible sound!

That'll be the day :D . You know this for sure?

Most boring

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:02 pm

The most boring Elvis CD ever will be released again and again. I wonder who will buy it. It was released in 90s and that's it, no need to release it again with more instrumental mess and no more of Elvis.

Re: Most boring

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:58 pm

deadringer wrote:The most boring Elvis CD ever will be released again and again. I wonder who will buy it. It was released in 90s and that's it, no need to release it again with more instrumental mess and no more of Elvis.

:? What's so boring? It's improvisation of top rockabilly artists in their prime in the most legendary studio. When you don't need this you don't know music.

Why

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:15 pm

What's so boring? Whole CD is boring as a hell to me. I listened it 2 x i n my life and this is enough, buddy. This "session" is an extremely overrated thing. It is interesting to listen once or twice a lot of broken songs, one liners, talking, riffs... There is better music by all these 4 artists around. But this is of course my personal opinion. If you like it listen to it as much as you want... and enjoy it.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:44 pm

According to http://www.musictap.net/ The Complete Million Dollar Quartet from Elvis Presley will be released from RCA on September 19. This most likely is the Kevin Budd version.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:52 pm

The great thing is that it will be on the main label and will probably be on sale at Walmart or Target for $9.99. Who says you can't get collectible cd's for less than $30? I for one, am glad it won't be on FTD.

Re: Why

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:22 pm

deadringer wrote:What's so boring? Whole CD is boring as a hell to me. ....There is better music by all these 4 artists around.

That's not the point. Don't you like to hear Elvis comment on Don't Be Cruel by Jackie Wilson and Brown Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry (black artists when segregation was still the standard)? Don´t you enjoy Evis singing Don´t Forbid Me explaining the song was offered to him first before Pat Boone had a hit with it?

Is there no joy in Elvis commenting on That's When Your Heartaches Begin before he recorded it officially on RCA?

Isn´t it revealing to hear those artists sing mainly gospel providing proof of the gospel roots of early Rockers from the south? It explains a lot about the artists and the way they live(d) their lifes.

This is as close as you get in witnessing Rock ´n´ Roll history. How any Elvis fan can say this `is boring as a hell` is beyond me. This is not some facts from some reference book about rock ´n´ roll, this is the real thing.
Last edited by buddy holly on Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:20 am

I love the Million Dollar Quartet...it's like eavesdropping on a moment of musical history - I love listening through headphones lying in the dark....I love hearing Elvis with his oh so southern accent.......magic!

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:27 am

Buddy, all your points are on the money; however, for some the MDQ will always be "just" a jam session.

If you take the recordings and just pull out the complete performances, you do end up with about half an album's worth of wonderful material:

Don't Be Cruel - Elvis
Paralyzed - Elvis
Down By The Riverside - Elvis, Carl, Jerry
Keeper Of The Key - Carl
Don't Forbid Me - Elvis
Brown-Eyed Handsome Man [composite] - Elvis, Carl, Jerry

And that doesn't include the great solo piano instrumentals by Jerry:

Crazy Arms
That's My Desire
End Of The Road
Black Bottom Stomp
You're The Only Star (In My Blue Heaven)

-----

Of course anyone who dismisses Elvis at SUN in 1956 as "boring" may -- in general -- not have much of a clue.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:35 am

I hope the off or not close to mic Elvis' vocal levels are brought up as well as the background noise brought down. Easier said than done I know. But not impossible. :)

Buddy H

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:40 am

I can't help, sorry. It is the last album that i will listen. Give me Elvis 56. Elvis At Sun or Elvis Presley FTD 2CD anytime and I will enjoy it. But I do not enjoy MD Quartet. I agree there are some OK performances but it is no milestone in rock history. I like Jerry Lee on his albums, I like Johnny Cash even more... but still... Call me ignorant but I dislike this particular CD.

Re: Buddy H

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:55 am

deadringer wrote:I like Jerry Lee on his albums, I like Johnny Cash even more... but still... Call me ignorant but I dislike this particular CD.

We must call you ignorant if you include Johnny Cash in a discussion of the MDQ. Cash is nowhere to be heard on ANY of the known recordings.

Hearing Elvis talk about the Vegas singer who totally blew him away with a much superior version of "Don't Be Cruel," and then get the revamped arrangement from Elvis himself on acoustic guitar, is worth the price of ten CDs. That Elvis used said arrangement on national TV a month later is testimony to the musical importance of the MDQ session.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:12 am

I have the MDQ cd that was released in the 90s. I played it a couple of times and then put it away. I don't find it boring, but I also don't find it interesting enough to play even semi-regularly. It's a jam session. A curiosity piece.

Yes, I'll buy the new version. I'll play it a few times and then it will sit on the shelf because it's still just a jam session. Though admittedly, a historic one. History however, does not increase my enjoyment of it.

Doc

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:39 am

Then call it Million Dollar Trio, Doc. Of course Cash is not singing there but he was present.

MDQ

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:41 am

I have the MDQ LP, then early 90s CD. I can play some jam sessions, i.e. The Doors or other bands... but for some reasons not this one.

::: Yes, I'll buy the new version.

- me too as I have all FTDs... but I will play it just to compare sound restoration effort to the previous release.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:57 am

I havn't played the cd much in the years, but when it came out on Boot LP, I nearly wore it out. Many fine performances and harmony.

I hope the Sun box or the re-issue will shed some light on the involvement of Mr. Cash. Why didn't he get on tape?
Was he too early or late?

It will be nice to hear it in the correct song order.

We need to settle this once and for all.

It is the million dollar quartet. Not a trio.

He came, He sang, just because the quartet part wasn't recorded doesn't mean it didn't happen. The newspaper article written by the reporter says this much.

After all he is on the cover too.

Re: Doc

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:48 am

deadringer wrote:Then call it Million Dollar Trio, Doc. Of course Cash is not singing there but he was present.

Somebody ... heal this man!

Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:57 am

DJC: Somebody ... heal this man!

Deadringer......come here boy, come here......heal boy heal.

Think that'll work?

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Keeper Of The Key - Carl

I have always loved this song! I think it is sung with passion!

I wish Elvis could have recorded this song.

Heal?

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:57 am

Maybe you can do it for me, Doc :-)

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:42 pm

A remastered release of The Million Dollar Quartet would be a great FTD release! :wink:

Yes

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:46 pm

Yes and also "remastered" version of Hawaii 61. The problem - NOTHING NEW AT ALL. And the difference in the sound quality will be certainly not so big.

I will surely prefer FTD with some more 1957-1958 studio stuff....