He'll Have To Go

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Not only did "the approach" suited Elvis due to his health but his deeper voice suited the line "tell the man to turn the juke box way dowwwnnn loowww"... :)

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

His performance is fine and his deep, soulful voice was perfectly suited to the material. The definitive version of this song and one he performed as well, if not better, in 76 than in 70
rick

kris
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by kris »

Another example of Elvis only knowing a bit of a song but still recording it.

I oughta mind my pap, guess I'm not too smart
If I was I'd leave you, go before you break my heart
But that's all right. that's all right
That's alright, mama, any way you do

Now guess who didn't record this last verse ?

Me2
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Me2 »

I love "He'll Have To Go". It's beautiful and Elvis sounded great. I love all the songs on the "Moody Blue" album. I don't know if Elvis didn't bother to learn the song. There are quite a few examples where Elvis left out verses of songs just because they did not appeal to him for whatever reason.

deadringer
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Incomplete

Post by deadringer »

And you forgot "Ill Never Fall In Love Again" - poor Elvis was so bored that he did not bothered to learn 2nd verse (listen Tom Jones) and preferred to sing the refrain again and again.

BigRed, Elvis sung many songs "incomplete" also in his best days. It was his choice to cut the song shorter, to exclude part of the lyrics. He did it, other artists also doing this.

>>> to only knowing one verse, and singing it over & over again.

- he sung it twice in He'll Have To Go. This can be hardly called over and over again.

>>> I imagine that He'll Have To Go was more of an informal rendition rather than a fully fledged attempt

- probably yes, it is his last studio song and Elvis was clearly disinterested to continue the session.

>>> and that perhaps explains the lack of lyrics. But Solitaire too? The songs are not just different, or personalised, but incomplete.

- not. You think that Elvis was writing down all the lyrics for all his songs that he cut in studio, from memory? These lyrics were GIVEN to him in form of lyrics sheets in many cases. And if he preferred to exclude the verse it was his decision. Also there was no need to learn every lyrics word by word. He READ many songs during the recording process i.e. MOODY BLUE... and it does not mean that he was lazy or disinterested. I have seen several recording sessions in my life and some singers read the lyrics as well. This is NORMAL. John Lennon did it too... see "Imagine" DVD.

>>> they are sorely lacking, and would have been better with the missing verses.

- you can tell it about "Good Times Charlies Got The Blues" too. Or about "Hound Dog" - Elvis version have completely different lyrics from the original by L&S. Or "How Great Thou Art" - Elvis version is very incomplete, you almost can say "butchered". Why to hell Elvis did not bothered to learn the complete lyric to one of his finest gospels? Was he drugged, lazy, disinterested in recordings back in 1966?

It was simply HIS CHOICE to make the song shorter, to change the lyrics in some parts... back in 1956 and also 20 years later.

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Spellbinder »

It Keeps Right On A-hurtin'

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Incomplete lyrics: Silent Night, Elvis' Christmas Album '57. Outstanding version.

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

he'll have to go

Post by karlos »

i like this song as on the moody blue cd and the alternate take.
i can imagine Elvis singing this in 1976 .

:wink:
Long May He Reign - KING OF ROCK N ROLL.