All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:29 pm

Larry Dickman. wrote:
Gillybee wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but why wasn't Steve Binder asked to do an updated "director's cut"?

Because EPE would have to pay him........it's all about the bottom line.

Who says they have to pay him? There are plenty of non-profits where the CEO is sort of honorary and merely gets the prestige of maintaining the position (expenses are reimbursed) but the imput and experience is at their disposal. For a for-profit corporation, it would ensure quality control and get rid of any negative fan feeling that would hurt the bottom line. And it would probably take very little time to make that connection. Just a few e-mails or phone calls and they would have their input, which they could take or leave.

It could be as little as leaking plans to this person to get the "fan view" - and to check for obvious blunders. Keith Flynn, Likethebike, Rockin' Rebel also come to mind as strong candidates.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:12 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Larry Dickman. wrote:
Gillybee wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but why wasn't Steve Binder asked to do an updated "director's cut"?

Who says they have to pay him?

Thats a no brainer Gregory.....since the statement was posted under my name (Larry Dickman), I SAID IT..........shhesshh

You obviously have not read all the other posts re EPE, its all about maximising profits.......

As for your other suggestion, re involving some of the more knowledgeable fans: Keith Flynn, Likethebike, Rockin' Rebel, another no brainer....of course that would make perfect sense, which is of course why EPE didn't do it.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:53 am

Larry Dickman: Yeah, EPE has real a top-notch "brain" trust on their side. NOT!!

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:34 am

The best angles of stand up shows were not on the DVD boxset. But on the bootleg video. Which were the angles chosen by the director. Just because you can re edit to have more Elvis does not make it better....except for FEVER on the Dress Rehearsal Aloha. IMO.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:03 am

Larry Dickman. wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Larry Dickman. wrote:

Thats a no brainer Gregory.....since the statement was posted under my name (Larry Dickman), I SAID IT..........shhesshh

You obviously have not read all the other posts re EPE, its all about maximising profits.......

As for your other suggestion, re involving some of the more knowledgeable fans: Keith Flynn, Likethebike, Rockin' Rebel, another no brainer....of course that would make perfect sense, which is of course why EPE didn't do it.

Mr. Dickman, I could not possibly read every post on this messageboard, despite my frequent presence here, but I certainly have debated the merits of EPE's business strategy many times.

I don't care who "said it" but my point was that there's a strong business case to be made for ensuring high-quality products that earn loyal fans hard-earned dollars. EPE, of course (like BMG/Sony all too often ) too often takes the low-road and exploits fan ignorance and blind loyalty to anything that's "new" with a "new" picture of Elvis on the cover, time and again. I suppose that pure "business exploitation" but it also has a downside even from a business standpoint.

This ultimately creates an inferior body of work (either for new fans or "the legacy") and alienates the fan base with such carelessness and cynical "omissions." Hiring Ernst Jorgensen was an example of drawing upon a true Elvis expert (and fan) rather than general industry type and has done wonders (by and large) across the board. I don't think it's a stretch to have, say, Colin B., consulted on particulars. :lol: I can dream, right?

In the end, I'm still not interested in this new release or the Aloha disc (the Deluxe version was more than enough to chew on (to this date even) but I'm mostly glad to see this single-disc version made available.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:10 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Larry Dickman. wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Larry Dickman. wrote:

Mr. Dickman, I could not possibly read every post on this messageboard, despite my frequent presence here, but I certainly have debated the merits of EPE's business strategy many times.

I don't care who "said it" but my point was that there's a strong business case to be made for ensuring high-quality products that earn loyal fans hard-earned dollars. EPE, of course (like BMG/Sony all too often ) too often takes the low-road and exploits fan ignorance and blind loyalty to anything that's "new" with a "new" picture of Elvis on the cover, time and again. I suppose that pure "business exploitation" but it also has a downside even from a business standpoint.

This ultimately creates an inferior body of work (either for new fans or "the legacy") and alienates the fan base with such carelessness and cynical "omissions." Hiring Ernst Jorgensen was an example of drawing upon a true Elvis expert (and fan) rather than general industry type and has done wonders (by and large) across the board. I don't think it's a stretch to have, say, Colin B., consulted on particulars. :lol: I can dream, right?

In the end, I'm still not interested in this new release or the Aloha disc (the Deluxe version was more than enough to chew on (to this date even) but I'm mostly glad to see this single-disc version made available.

Sounds like we are singing from the same songbook Gregory. :D

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:03 pm

I got the two new DVD's today.

Haven't found the 'Easter Eggs' yet.

You don't suppose they left them off the UK version, do you ?

They couldn't be that incompetent, could they ?

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:07 pm

ColinB wrote:I got the two new DVD's today.

Lucky you!
Possibly
Yes

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:42 pm

Joe Car wrote:

Lucky you!
Possibly
Yes

Stop Press !!

I found them !

Wasn't it strange in It Hurts Me that the take where the girl dancer loses her bandana and the guy has to roll over to retrieve it, was the take they used in the show !

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:46 pm

ColinB wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

Lucky you!
Possibly
Yes

Stop Press !!

I found them !

Wasn't it strange in It Hurts Me that the take where the girl dancer loses her bandana and the guy has to roll over to retrieve it, was the take they used in the show !

Whew! Now let us know how you liked these new DVD's.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:54 pm

Joe Car wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

Lucky you!
Possibly
Yes

Stop Press !!

I found them !

Whew! Now let us know how you liked these new DVD's.

Well, I haven't viewed them right through yet.

But I applaud the concept of the single disc 'bare-bones' re-issue !

As I said somewhere else, so many 'casual' buyers would have been scared off by the price of the deluxe sets.

And with the 'extras' [sparse as they are] we 'must-have-it-all' fans at least have something to make shelling out [again] worthwhile.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:17 pm

ColinB wrote:Wasn't it strange in It Hurts Me that the take where the girl dancer loses her bandana and the guy has to roll over to retrieve it, was the take they used in the show !

And there is an alternative ending, too !

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:28 pm

ColinB wrote:
ColinB wrote:Wasn't it strange in It Hurts Me that the take where the girl dancer loses her bandana and the guy has to roll over to retrieve it, was the take they used in the show !

And there is an alternative ending, too !

Really? Whom does he live happily after with? Susan Hennings?
:lol:

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:17 pm

That's more like it!

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:08 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:That's more like it!

God was she a knockout in that sweet and innocent sexy way of hers.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:16 pm

I think it's a very dodgy re-working of the special! I hate the edits where the screen shifts to the left! Ewwwwwww!

I almost fell over with disbelief when "One Night" cut in half way through!!! That's just criminal!

And the classic instrumental "Let your Self Go" over the famous rolling credits at the end - well - it's not there. An outrage!

So even now, I STILL have to keep the old Virgin Video release from the 80s. It's the best one available yet.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:27 pm

S-L-G-M: I've still got my video release, too!!

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:20 pm

I picked up a copy of the 68 comeback disc in WalMart this weekend for $9.47. I like the special so far from what I have seen, but I don't like the new edits. They should have just used the Steve Binder's original cut before Singer asked him to remove the bordello scene.

It seems like EPE was trying to showcase the sitdown and standup shows by including more footage from these in the new cut.

And, I am kind of ticked about the removal of Blue Christmas from the show (which aired in the original special) and the sloppy edit to One Night.

I only wish WalMart had the Aloha Disc in stock as well.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:01 am

I picked up the 68 Special single disc even though I own the Deluxe DVD set.

Why? The original edit of the 68 broadcast on the Deluxe set contained poor sound edits and lossy artifacts consistent with 2nd generation video copies. After all, video post production was in its infancy in 1968. There is a significant loss in audio and video fidelity between the original source reels of the stand up and sit down shows and the dubbed edited production master that become the broadcast tv show. For example there are sound overload problems during the original TV edit in several places including stand up show and the gospel number. These problems didn't exist on the master source reels and were introduced in the post production phase.

I thought the 2004 Deluxe DVD set was a missed opportunity for them to re-edit the original Special from scratch using the new transfers to clean up the sound and video. But they didn't do it, and the video and audio quality of Binders show edit are noticeably inferior to the stand up/sit down shows etc from which they are copied and dubbed. While 68 editing technology was primitive, a modern digital edit can insure no loss in fidelity.

So the new single disc DVD finally features a new edit of the TV show that cleans up the production numbers, especially the Gospel medley which had been poorly edited in the original version.

As some have noted, it's not quite the original show, which is somewhat disappointing. Some songs are different. But you do get the 3 production numbers now in superb audio/video quality. Gone is the terrbile sound edit of the Blossoms clapping during the gospel medley in the original show. Now the audio is seamless.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:09 am

Not QUITE the original show?? It's not even close to the original show. Not even disc one of the 3 disc set is the original show.

The original show as it aired on NBC-TV in Dec. '68 isn't available (officially) as far as I'm aware. If it were I'd have IT and not bother with the rest.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:13 am

besides the inclusion of the bordello scene, which was omitted from the original broadcast, how else is the version on the deluxe 3 disc set different from what originally aired in Dec. 68?

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:14 am

There's a snippet of Are You Lonesome Tonight after Love Me Tender.
Also, Baby What You Want Me To Do after the gospel medley, and as you've pointed out Let Yourself Go added to the road medley. None of this was in the originally aired special.

Of course they added things, but then 'forgot" It Hurts Me. Why add things in the first place? Just release the ORIGINAL special. No additions/subtractions. OR release Steve Binder's directors cut which was the version released on video many years ago. It had all the elements of the original special in proper sequence with all the "essential"
additions. The best of both worlds.

I was looking forward to the single disc release because I thought (stupidly) that they would simply just add It Hurts Me to the road medley and leave well enough alone, but no. Yet another different edit of "Comeback".

I'm burnt out on "Comeback". I'm not going too listen to or view anything
to do with this project for at least six months.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:23 am

So is the booklet in the Deluxe 3 disc set incorrect? It states that besides the inclusion of the bordello scene, which was cut at the last minute by the sponsor, this is the show as it aired in Dec. 68.

Is this accurate or false?

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:49 am

JerryNodak wrote:I'm burnt out on "Comeback". I'm not going too listen to or view anything to do with this project for at least six months.

Bad news about the October FTD, then !

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:25 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:So is the booklet in the Deluxe 3 disc set incorrect? It states that besides the inclusion of the bordello scene, which was cut at the last minute by the sponsor, this is the show as it aired in Dec. 68.

Is this accurate or false?

Yes, the booklet is incorrect.