All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:05 pm

This press conf on November 20 is this with Elvis standing at this podium..
with the dark jacket on..right..??

Hi

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:12 pm

Thanks Elvissessions for the minute description.

It doesn't sound too thrilling, I was hoping for a few new questions from the Honolulu press conference, but you can't win them all. It is only an easter egg after all. Hope to get my copy on tuesday.

Thanks again.

Simon

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:02 am

JerryNodak wrote:I've decided I'm not going to buy this. I'm waiting for the "We Promise We've Included Everthing Super Special Edition" which should be out next year.

:lol: :lol:

Also, at this point, the commercials from '68 would be a gas, as they used to say.

I saw this at TOWER RECORDS today, along with ALOHA.

I'm not really interested, but have to say they both look great, with much, much more superior looking covers!

And I wouldn't call these "priced to sell, either" even with opening week discounts.

Thanks for the input, ES. .
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:40 am

is there an easter egg on the 68?

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:57 am

Circuit City is selling both of the new discs for $9.99 each through 8/8. Also, Sam's club has it for $9.62.

Tom
Last edited by Tom in North Carolina on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:09 am

Yes, the Easter Egg on the 68 Comeback are the few minutes of takes from the Guitar Man segment that were left off the deluxe set. Most of it is the goofy karate dancers hopping around, but there is a little bit more Elvis, too.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:35 am

elvissessions.com wrote:Yes, the Easter Egg on the 68 Comeback are the few minutes of takes from the Guitar Man segment that were left off the deluxe set. Most of it is the goofy karate dancers hopping around, but there is a little bit more Elvis, too.

c'mon dude, save me sum time and tell me where this/these damn easter eggs are...

I gotta get to work in 5 hours :!: :evil:

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:40 am

Go to the last screen of the chapter listings and "right arrow" through all the listings. It's to the right side of the bottom of the list (a little Elvis silhouette in a circle).

On Aloha, it's in the chapter listings for the "insert songs"; this time it's to the left of the listings, but it's the same logo.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:26 pm

minkahed: So you're saying that the Lawdy Miss Clawdy/Baby, What You
Want Me To Do jam that was used as a transtition to the hits medley on the original broadcast is no longer there? Do I understand correctly?

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:05 am

JerryNodak wrote:minkahed: So you're saying that the Lawdy Miss Clawdy/Baby, What You
Want Me To Do jam that was used as a transtition to the hits medley on the original broadcast is no longer there? Do I understand correctly?

Exactly :!:

It goes from the stellar opening of Trouble/Guitar Man medley to That's All Right :!: :?: :evil: :roll:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:23 pm

So it doesn't even follow the "Director's Cut" vision. Argh!! EPE could screw up a wet dream!!

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:07 pm

For me, the 76-minute "original" home video version is the one for Joe Public and, in many respects, is the "definitive" version. How hard would it have been to replicate that ???? Incidentally, I first saw the Dec 3rd broadcast version in Paris, in 1969

I despair.

Steve Morse

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:00 pm

I have the 76 min "Director's Cut" on video, too. In fact, the first copy I had was on Betamax. Was released by a company called Music Media, and was of excellent quality. Much better than the later Lightyear VHS version (imo).

Replicating the "Director's Cut" would have been too easy for the "brain" trust at EPE.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:36 am

Re the Aloha Easter egg the response by Elvis regarding recording in "mainly in English" and some Spanish too is nice to have (Nov 20). The rest we have. Too bad they did not include the question regarding touring abroad and his thoughts of the Japanese fans ("I love 'em") that has been available on boot with Japanese subtitles for years!
Also, the January 9, 1973 helicopter interview should have been overdubbed to the footage. That was broadcast years ago on Australian radio, so there is no excuse for EPE not to use it. Its not like there is copyright on spoken recordings, is there, or is there?

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:30 am

elvissessions.com wrote:
On the whole, the program works, but I found a couple of cuts jarring.

And of course, when you boil down all the shows to less than an hour, of course many more of our favorite moments are going to be cut.

That's why the serious fans need the box set. This is for the casual fans who want a taste of the whole thing, not to watch all the sitdown and standup shows.

Yeah, I was screaming at the TV last night. WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY the F--- did you cut that and that and that and that.

Then, as usual, I took a deep breath or two, actually bothered to THINK about it and made my peace with it.

Why can't they EVER get things RIGHT!?

It would be very easy to please BOTH the casual fan AND the die-hard Elvis-fan!

I can't believe that they've messed up this opportunity to get both camps satisfied...

I (stupid me) thought it was simply to insert the missing It Hurts Me sequence, add the easter eggs and the little extras missing on the deluxe edition - and then we'd all be happy.

My mistake.

Then again - we're all buying it, I guess...

Kristian

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:54 pm

I should give them more money for the "It Hurts Me" segment which they "forgot" the first time around and the easter egg cotent I don't care about?? Not too mention the Lawdy Miss Clawdy/Baby What You Want Me To Do jam is now missing. I think NOT!!

Screw EPE!!
Last edited by JerryNodak on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:31 pm

i will re-buy the 68 special when they source the hi fi mono/stereo audio tapes that exists as used by BMG (they sound 10x better)and dubb it on the 68 special film.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:31 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:Also, the January 9, 1973 helicopter interview should have been overdubbed to the footage. That was broadcast years ago on Australian radio, so there is no excuse for EPE not to use it. Its not like there is copyright on spoken recordings, is there, or is there?

And it's on Madison's LEGENDARY PERFORMER series...

Jeez, I'll definitely stick to my DELUXE Edition. :roll: :evil:

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:40 pm

JerryNodak wrote:... the Lawdy Miss Clawdy/Baby, What You Want Me To Do jam that was used as a transtition to the hits medley on the original broadcast is no longer there?

This has to be another production error. It makes no sense technically or aesthetically why this should not be on the single disc package.

And given this is the second time a major error has been made, the Quality Control team used by EPE should be fired, immediately. On the three disc set it was David Hefner and Jesse Freeman.

They should hire me, I could do QA it all by myself.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:56 am

The newly released single disc versions"eastereggs"
this is the way to find them...

On the "Comeback" disc you get, according to the original EPE press release, three takes from the "Guitar Man" production number featuring the dancers' karate segment and Elvis's final portion of the song "It Hurts Me" were inadvertently left off of Disc 3 of the 2004 release Elvis: '68 Comeback Special - Deluxe Edition DVD. The one tape containing these three takes had not made it into the inventory of raw tapes when the digital transfers used for the deluxe DVD set were made and were found later. they provide these takes here. Enjoy.

On the the "Aloha From Hawaii" disc you get various footage according to the original EPE press release: "Elvis appeared in two press conferences leading up to his Aloha from Hawaii concert TV special. To date, copies of the press conferences in their entirety have eluded us. Here, they provide the portions we have been able to locate so far.

September 4, 1972 - Las Vegas Hilton
November 20, 1972 - Hawaiian Village Hotel

Th th th this is it folks!!!!

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Seriously, we can dream at least about having a "fan delegate" from FECC to be in the room to say "hold on a minute" when EPE (or BMG) is about to make a bone-headed mistake. It's so chronic.

I nominate the Doc!

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:25 am

Pardon my ignorance, but why wasn't Steve Binder asked to do an updated "director's cut"?

For a single disc edition of the 68 Special, I would've liked to have seen, or heard rather, audio commentary tracks recorded by all the main contributors to the making of the special, to provide the context for this amazing piece of musical history. That I would have bought again without hesitiation. Other people may disagree with me, but I think that would really have added something to a new package.

A question: Apart from the Lawdy Miss Clawdy/Baby What You Want Me To Do sequence which has been taken out and the edit of "One Night" as already noted, are there any other differences to the subsequent performances on the new single disc dvd from the 90 minute edit? Thanks.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:51 pm

Gillybee wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but why wasn't Steve Binder asked to do an updated "director's cut"?

Because EPE would have to pay him........it's all about the bottom line.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:... the Lawdy Miss Clawdy/Baby, What You Want Me To Do jam that was used as a transtition to the hits medley on the original broadcast is no longer there?

This has to be another production error. It makes no sense technically or aesthetically why this should not be on the single disc package.

And given this is the second time a major error has been made, the Quality Control team used by EPE should be fired, immediately. On the three disc set it was David Hefner and Jesse Freeman.

They should be fired for being so incompetent! How can they make these kind of mistakes?

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:40 pm

Well get a DVDr copy somewhere and wait till they release it in a new package with everything included.

Or wait till the putt it into de nice price /buget sale typically dvds which will end there.

As I've seen everytime

TCB, Ray