All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:33 pm

ColinB: I never buy the FTDs the day they hit the street. I'm at least 3 or 4 releases behind already. So, it will be at least six months before I get to the Oct. release in any case.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:10 pm

JerryNodak wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:So is the booklet in the Deluxe 3 disc set incorrect? It states that besides the inclusion of the bordello scene, which was cut at the last minute by the sponsor, this is the show as it aired in Dec. 68.

Is this accurate or false?

Yes, the booklet is incorrect.

NO, It Hurts Me was not part of the original broadcast. In fact, that was the root of EPE's problem when it came to reassembling everything for the deluxe edition, but it's not worth rehashing all of that again.

When the '68 TV special first aired on December 3, 1968, "It Hurts Me" (probably for time) and the bordello scenes (due to show sponsor objections) were not included in the show's big production number.

Most of us are so familiar with the edit broadcast after Elvis' death and released on various home media that we've begun to think of that as the original broadcast, but it is not.

In fact that post-death broadcast came from an an earlier, rejected edit, according to Binder, but now I'm making things more complicated than required for this question.

So, in summary again, the new single-disc version gives us three things we didn't get in the original production sequences: the bordello scene, It Hurts Me and the extension of Saved (which no one ever seems to talk about but me around here for some reason but is actually quite cool).
Last edited by elvissessions on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification, ES.

It still looks like I can safely pass on the '06 versions of '68 and ALOHA for the time being.

The deluxe sets were superb to these eyes and ears.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:39 am

elvissessions.com: The snippet of Are You Lonesome Tonight? which follows Love Me Tender and Baby What You Want Me To Do which comes after the gospel medley on the SE were NOT in the special as it aired on NBC TV on
December 3, 1968.

As I understand the booklet, EPE is saying that the only thing they added was the bordello scene (Let Yourself Go) and everything else is as broadcast. They are wrong.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:42 am

JerryNodak wrote:elvissessions.com: The snippet of Are You Lonesome Tonight? which follows Love Me Tender and Baby What You Want Me To Do which comes after the gospel medley on the SE were NOT in the special as it aired on NBC TV on
December 3, 1968.

As I understand the booklet, EPE is saying that the only thing they added was the bordello scene (Let Yourself Go) and everything else is as broadcast. They are wrong.

Can't EPE figure out what was in the special as it originally aired in December 1968 by simply using the sountrack LP? It was the original soundtrcak, sans the record version of If I Can Dream.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:14 am

Mike C: You are correct. The original soundtrack album (68 version) has all the songs that appeared in the special in proper sequence. The updated version from the '80s is messed up.

Also, the version of Memories that appears on both albums is the studio version with overdubbed applause.