All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

First impressions of 68 single disc.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:33 am

I quite liked the presentation, the picture quality does seem a step up from the deluxe box even. or maybe its just my eyes. The show has been re-edited with alot of cool new angles and edits i noticed. But there are a couple of flaws. They left out the long jam of Baby What You Want Me to Do, also they don't show the complete sit down performance of One Night. it picks up where he decides to stand up and Charley assists with the microphone. I dont know what they were thinking with those 2 missteps, otherwise a nice disc. oh, a very nice photo gallery is included with a bit of text giving a bit more detail to the shots. Several shots id not seen before. They go into a bit more depth with the Col's birthday and It Hurts Me revised lyrics that Elvis sang to Parker. good stuff.
Last edited by Kylan on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:39 am

Hi Kylan!
Is the "It Hurts Me" segment back in place?

Re: First impressions of 68 single disc.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:39 am

Kylan wrote:I dont know what they were thinking with those 2 missteps, otherwise a nice disc.

Don't worry !

These minor flaws will be corrected when they issue the combined 'Aloha & Comeback Shows' 2-disc set in 2010 !

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:42 am

bajo wrote:Hi Kylan!
Is the "It Hurts Me" segment back in place?

Yes all is good there. however, i am not able to locate the easter egg. I did find the egg on Aloha, some nice footage of press conferences. A few seconds of footage I had never seen before.

Re: First impressions of 68 single disc.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:42 am

ColinB wrote:
Kylan wrote:I dont know what they were thinking with those 2 missteps, otherwise a nice disc.

Don't worry !

These minor flaws will be corrected when they issue the combined 'Aloha & Comeback Shows' 2-disc set in 2010 !

Yup........then in 2011, they'll put in all the stuff they "accidentally" omitted or "recently discovered".

Well..........maybe not ALL the stuff they omitted or discovered. After all.......they are EBE (and that "B" is not a typo........figure it out :wink: )

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:43 am

Thanks Kylan! I'll be getting my copies in a week or so!

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:29 pm

Kylan quote: Yes all is good there. however, i am not able to locate the easter egg. I did find the egg on Aloha, some nice footage of press conferences. A few seconds of footage I had never seen before.

Concerning the aloha disc, are both conferences complete?

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:47 pm

It's a nice presentation, I don't understand the price politics though. The single discs are on pre-order for about $23 here, which is a little steep, considering that you can find the Deluxe Sets for about $32 and that's not even on sale. I recently saw the 68 Comeback Special for £9.99 [$19].

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:54 pm

In the U.S., the cheapest online list for the single disc is $11.95, whereas the lowest for the box set is $29.91. That difference seems in line with what they said they were aiming for. In fact, the spread at amazon.com -- a pretty good reference point -- is wider: $13.99 vs. $39.99.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:09 pm

Kylan wrote :
They left out the long jam of Baby What You Want Me to Do, also they don't show the complete sit down performance of One Night.

OK EPE , if is this correct - can you explain why this was ommited ?
For convenience you can choose one:

1. Mummy did not allow us to include it.
2. The consultant said it was unnecessary,after all Elvis was not singing
3. The tape containing the sequence was accidently erased when the editor leaned forward to adjust the controls( for more details on this technique see Pres. Nixons' secretary's explanation for the 18.5 minute erasure of the White house tapes)
4. The editor was yawning and missed the sequence.
5. None of the above

We'll believe you -whatever you choose ..and I'll bet that it was done without any premediation - Did you put a preview copy it past any fans ?oh wait, that was not necessary, we missed some last time around and anyway you guys always know best. Just ignore us pesky idiots. :roll:

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:09 pm

Wow, we've already found another conspiracy theory! Awesome, you work fast.

It's called an EDIT.

They cut things down and re-EDITED the program, for Christ's sake.

The original broadcast was an edit, too, so I guess this grand conspiracy started nearly 40 years ago. Man, it's like something out of the Da Vinci Codes.

Now before people start calling me an EPE apologist, let me make it clear, I agree with Kylan: I don't like a couple of these edits.

On the whole, the program works, but I found a couple of cuts jarring.

And of course, when you boil down all the shows to less than an hour, of course many more of our favorite moments are going to be cut.

That's why the serious fans need the box set. This is for the casual fans who want a taste of the whole thing, not to watch all the sitdown and standup shows.

Yeah, I was screaming at the TV last night. WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY the F--- did you cut that and that and that and that.

Then, as usual, I took a deep breath or two, actually bothered to THINK about it and made my peace with it.

I think there will be some fans who need to do the same.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:05 pm

I'm still working on the frame-by-frame comparison -- some very interesting decisions on the standup/sitdown shows.

As I say in my previous post, there's some good stuff missing. Thank God for the box set!

I do want to ask Todd how they ended up with the running time they did. It's sort of an odd figure. Another 20 minutes would have saved many of the longtime favorite moments that got lopped. (Some of the nonmusical ones are in the "gag reel," so all is not lost.)

For now it's a lot easier to review the Guitar Man and gospel sequences, so let's focus on those for a moment.

One thing that no one -- but I, I believe -- ever mentioned about the box set was that the extended edit of "Saved" was not included. Check your Lightyear Video disc if you've forgotten about this.

Reverting to the original edit was a very defensible decision because it's impossible to sync the video with the audio in a couple of places, so I supported the decision and was just glad to have the raw elements.

Nevertheless, it's long been my preferred edit of the video, so I'm happy to say that it's been included here. (Why EPE hasn't played up this inclusion more for the fans, I'm not sure. They did allude to it, but weren't explicit and I wasn't sure whether we'd get it or not. For the diehards, it's definitely worth having.)

And then of course, there's "It Hurts Me." It's so great to have this back that I hesitate to point out a fault 'cause I know people will jump on it with both feet. But the truth is the truth.

At 6:51 in the chapter, there's a seam showing. Worse yet, it's audible, especially in the surround mix. This is a minor, minor glitch and I'm relieved to say that it does not affect any of the material missing from the box set. So we still have all the pieces in perfect quality.

But the audio was smoothed on the Lightyears disc so they should have been able to do the same here.

Again, a minor glitch that probably only the most obsessive will care about, but still too bad.

Tonight I'll be doing Aloha and if I see anything there I'll let folks know.

I'll also be continuing with my frame-by-frame work on the sitdown/standup shows. Unfortunately I leave for Elvis Week on Friday and may not get everything analyzed by then. By the time I'm back in two weeks, somebody else probably will have beat me to the punch.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:23 am

elvissessions.com wrote:At 6:51 in the chapter, there's a seam showing. Worse yet, it's audible, especially in the surround mix.

ES, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Does one hear a "gap" of no sound at this point?

Also, I'd love to see the final results of your frame-by-frame analysis posted here, or on your web site.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:36 am

I'll post a sample later tonight (when I'm home). It's more of a stutter or overlapping fade-out/fade-in, if that makes any sense. It's very, very brief but because there's a fast visual crossfade at exactly the same moment, it kind of hits two senses at once and stands out.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:49 am

I've decided I'm not going to buy this. I'm waiting for the "We Promise We've Included Everthing Super Special Edition" which should be out next year.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:04 am

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:49 am Post subject:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've decided I'm not going to buy this. I'm waiting for the "We Promise We've Included Everthing Super Special Edition" which should be out next year.

Yeah, that's the one I am waiting for.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:36 am

Elvissessions wrote
Now before people start calling me an EPE apologist, let me make it clear, I agree with Kylan: I don't like a couple of these edits.

That is exactly my point ES - I do not like it -and I said so. Take a quick poll on the "intro" into BWYWMTD and find out what what most fans think of editing this sequence: it is sometthing like leaving " I just can't help belevin" out of the TTWII-SE.

Conspiracy ? NO - Stupidity : YES -many times over.

Like I wrote here earlier, on a reply from EPE on another thread related subject ( I am not using individual names here) would they have lost anything putting this past a few fans ? I mentioned it specifically. How many minutes did they save - oh wait - the reason for the edit is that the "Joe Public" does not know care about the intros and this set is mainly for the non fan .... no wait, sorry the set was also directed at the loyal fans who felt cheated out of the " It hurts me" being left out of the 3 disc edition ...

Yeah, I shall wait for the "got it right edition".

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:47 pm

Oh, hell!

Well, I promised a snippet of the new '68 Comeback disc so people could hear this small glitch , but now I've run into something unanticipated that I can't explain.

When I play the disc on my home DVD player, I can see this "seam," as I'm calling it, plain as day.

This is not a disc glitch for me, I'm certain. I can actually freeze right on the frame where the transition is made, and you can see the fade-in/fade-out of the two sources. It is at precisely this moment that there is the audio fault that I describe. Again, this glitch is especially audible on the surround-sound mix.

But when I play it on my computer DVD player, it goes right over this passage without a hint of a problem.

I don't have the same fine control over my computer DVD player program, so I'm not able to freeze in on this frame, but I swear the transition is not even visible at all. And the sound is as smooth as silk.

Now, I know that no one is going to believe me about this -- and I don't blame them -- until somebody else runs into the same thing, but damn it! I'm telling the truth.

So though I'm caught in an embarrassing situation for the moment, the good news is that perhaps this defect will not be visible or audible to some people, depending on their equipment.

However, I have to admit right now I'm hoping SOMEONE can see it so people will know I'm not crazy.

I've got a region-free player stored away, and I'm going to try to retrieve it before I head to Memphis so I can see how it plays on another player. But for the moment I guess this will have to go in the unverified category.

Sorry about that, but I'll keep working on it.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:55 pm

What I'd like to have and it should have been on the "Comeback" SE is the original edit of the special EXACTLY as it aired on NBC TV in Dec. '68.
Sans commercials, of course.

Disc 1: Original Televised Version

Disc 2: Extended Directors Cut

Discs 3 & 4: Standup/Sitdown shows and all the production outtakes & stuff.

I realize that adds a disc to the package and hence the cost goes up, but as EPE points out The SE was aimed primarily at the "FANS"/collectors.

Just my two cents worth.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:20 pm

ES,

Thanks for the extended reviews you have provided here. Quite interesting stuff, as I still struggle with whether to get these sets or not.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:05 pm

ES

Maybe the glitch is at the beginning of the new layer.

Does it say what type of DVD it is (like "DVD 9")?

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:56 pm

Torben beat me to it, but the 'glitch' that you describe sounds like the layer transition.

How noticable it is will depend on the quality of the DVD player.

Chris

Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:02 pm

The DVD looks and sounds great from what I've actually seen so far, but why did they replace the incredible, sublime 2nd song performance of Lawdy, Miss Clawdy/Baby, What You Want Me To Do jam with That's All Right :?:

That piece of footage still ranks as one of my all time Elvis performances and now it's gone!?

Guess I better stick with my box set... :wink:

Hi

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:07 pm

Can someone tell me anything about the easter egg on the Aloha DVD?
Is there anything more from the Honolulu press conference that isn't in THis Is Elvis extended version?
We don't have it in the shops here till bloody tuesday.
Lucky Yanks :D

Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:21 pm

Simon1, sorry to keep you waiting. I got all caught up in this other issue on the Comeback disc. :lol:

Here's a link to the audio that should help you get a mental image: Click here. There's some video without audio, and I've trimmed most of that out.

There's a litte silent exterior footage of the hotel before the September news conference, then as we move inside, Elvis and RCA's president are studying and posing with the sign behind them that has hats with the names of various nations on it.

After one interview segment, we get a smidgen more silent exterior footage and then a newscaster voiceover wih some more exterior and introductory shots.

Then another segment with Elvis at the news conference and then back to the newscaster with some closing remarks. (They'll make you gag!! The idiot gives all the credit to Colonel Parker for Elvis' career longevity. Puke!) You can hear it on the link above, by the way.

Then we move onto the next news conference for a brief excerpt of Elvis.

The helicopter arrival footage doesn't add much to our lives. It's silent and lasts about two minutes. Treat it like an alternate angle feature, you're just seeing the same things from a different point of view -- nothing to get excited about.

The entire "easter egg" lasts about nine minutes and 15 seconds and that includes several introductory and explanatory title screens that fill some time.
Last edited by elvissessions on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.