Clambake: tracks 24 & 25

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Spellbinder »

ekenee wrote:Whenever someone as yourself gets up on a soap box and starts preaching, you will invite critism, and I happy to show you the err of your ways.
I think, before you can do this, your written English will have to improve somewhat.

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvissessions »

You're right, bootlegging is a morally dubious practice and until a few months ago I never engaged in it. (However, a minor point: You're wrong, I didn't say they were cdrs, they are silver discs, but they sure as heck aren't originals. Furthermore, almost every member in good standing of this board recognizes a difference between bootleg and pirate material. Only the pirating lowlifes want to make them moral equivalents.)

Now let me show you the difference between you and me:

I don't defend it; I don't brag about it; I actually feel pretty conflicted about it. I was swayed by members of this board whom I respect to seek these discs.

I actually would rather not be publicly identified as someone who owns these bootlegs because it's embarrassing to me, and I actually fear that people I know will find out that I'm doing it and think less of me because of it.

It may well be that I will soon regret it, and if I stop doing it, I'll be sure to tell everyone that I regret it and dispose of the bootlegs.

Now, can you see that there's a bit of a difference between the two of us?
Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Scatter »

The fact remains that bootlegs are material that is deemed unmarketable for a variety of reasons. Therefore, it would never be released. It doesn't cut into FTD/RCA. It's saving what they consider scrap from the "round file".

I would view it differently if the bootleggers and the label were issuing the same shows and were in direct competition. They're not.

In fact, without boots, FTD wouldn't exist at all.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Scatter wrote:The fact remains that bootlegs are material that is deemed unmarketable for a variety of reasons. Therefore, it would never be released. It doesn't cut into FTD/RCA. It's saving what they consider scrap from the "round file".

I would view it differently if the bootleggers and the label were issuing the same shows and were in direct competition. They're not.

I can't explain it but you make it much too tidy scatter! :)

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

JLGB wrote:
Scatter wrote:The fact remains that bootlegs are material that is deemed unmarketable for a variety of reasons. Therefore, it would never be released. It doesn't cut into FTD/RCA. It's saving what they consider scrap from the "round file".

I can't explain it but you make it much too tidy scatter! :)
I'm a very tidy monkey :lol:

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

A tidy ape Scatter..Unless you grew a tail!!! :lol:

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Stop asking about my tail JL.............you cheeky devil :lol:

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

spellbinder wrote:I think, before you can do this, your written English will have to improve somewhat.

Spellbinder, correction.....I didn't write it, I typed it. and yes there was some typo's in there. Too lazy to proof read I guess.

----------------------------------

Elvissessions.com Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right, bootlegging is a morally dubious practice and until a few months ago I never engaged in it. (However, a minor point: You're wrong, I didn't say they were cdrs, they are silver discs, but they sure as heck aren't originals. Furthermore, almost every member in good standing of this board recognizes a difference between bootleg and pirate material. Only the pirating lowlifes want to make them moral equivalents.)

Now let me show you the difference between you and me:

I don't defend it; I don't brag about it; I actually feel pretty conflicted about it. I was swayed by members of this board whom I respect to seek these discs.

I actually would rather not be publicly identified as someone who owns these bootlegs because it's embarrassing to me, and I actually fear that people I know will find out that I'm doing it and think less of me because of it.

It may well be that I will soon regret it, and if I stop doing it, I'll be sure to tell everyone that I regret it and dispose of the bootlegs.

Now, can you see that there's a bit of a difference between the two of us?

I wasn't sure if this was meant for me or not, but your response was decent enough. I surely didn't brag about it or defend it, I really took another view all together. I was trying to make the point that I too, am missing some ftd's that I can't afford yet, and I haven't bought any cdr's of any of them. I will wait until I can afford them. I wanted you to know that, because in essence we are in agreement on that part. If I had bought some, then I would be an even bigger hypocrite. I have bought cdr's of bootlegs though. I just think it really is not another fan's position to form a posse and attack someone, when we are not perfect and each of us has seperate faults.
After all Elvis collecting is an addiction so some extent, and some will go to cdr lengths to get their fix. I am only saying that I understand what the guy is doing, not that I agree or condone it. But I am no angel so I refuse to criticize him for it.

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvissessions »

My God, we've managed to bring this thread down to a civil tone. It seemed less likely than peace in the Middle East there for a while.

Perhaps there is hope, after all.

How about we close this thread out, too?

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Over.....and out!

nigel
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by nigel »

I hate to be a party pooper but getting back to the original thread...just played my copy of Clambake & I've been hit!!! Tracks 24 & 25 a write-off, and track 25 one of my fave's (seriously)...always like the beachy fun of Clambake.

Nigel
EIN

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

I hate to be a party pooper but getting back to the original thread...just played my copy of Clambake & I've been hit!!! Tracks 24 & 25 a write-off, and track 25 one of my fave's (seriously)...always like the beachy fun of Clambake.
Nigel EIN
I have to apologise for Nigel's taste in music. The men in white coats have been chasing him for a while, but he can run so damn fast!
Actually the 'blues' Clambake final track is the highlight of a very poor FTD.

I agree, I found the fault caused jumps in 2 out of the ten brands of CD players I tried.

PS – Reporting the dubious EBay seller of CDRs to EPE/Graceland will get some action going too.
Their legal eagles can be pretty fast, after all they do like to make money off Elvis.

Cheers
Piers

Rob

Post by Rob »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Personally, my specific refusal to copy FTD product for a friend led to the end of our relationship.
If that's all it took, they weren't much of a friend anyway. I've never been asked to copy an FTD for anyone. However, if I had, my answer would be the same as yours was.

I don't even copy or collect bootleg CDR's. Let alone something as sacred as an FTD. My hat is off to the fine members of this board who collect (purchase) only the original FTD's (and imports).

javilu
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by javilu »

Just my 2 cents: FTDs in Argentina are only available through the Elvis shop, and not many people have 100 argentinean pesos to buy them, this is not USA and with the average salary here one person earns per month you could afford only 7 or 8 ftds, and of course not eat or spend any money on any other thing.
With that out of the way I must say when the big economic debacle and devalution of the peso in 2002 I couldn't afford to keep buying the FTDs. So I have everything released (original discs, of course) until the end of 2001. I'd rather not get them copied and wait to buy the originals in the not too distant future. Anyway, there should be economic versions of the FTDs made specially for the third world countries! :(

regards

Javier from Buenos Aires

elvis67
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvis67 »

If I don't have enough money to buy FTD's I just wait for being able to buy them
I would never buy copy . Never . That's why I don't have the complete collection ( I have 2/3 of the releases ) . Every elvis fan who remembers the 80's and the beginning of the 90's should do the same
Despite all the critics, FTD is a real dream for the elvis fan