All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:52 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:There's a rundown of the DVD contents on the official Elvis site. The first thing I checked was whether the never-seen (by me) medley from the January show was there, and it was.

However, then I noticed that the running time for the following Don't Be Cruel was given as 0:50! Surely it was longer than that, so it must be a typo. :?

It's a typo. The actual performance time is about 1:55.

-Kevin

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:23 pm

Thanks Kevin for clearing up the matter of the running time on "Don't Be Cruel" from the January '57 show.

On the CD box set "A Golden Celebration" the running times on the medley are as follows:

Hound Dog 1:01
Love Me Tender 1:16
Heartbreak Hotel 1:36

and

Don't Be Cruel 2:16

I'm sure these include the intros, so it appears the running times reported by EPE are accurate, except for "Don't Be Cruel," which Kevin reports to be approx. 1:55. Add Elvis' intro. ("my biggest record last year, well no bigger than the rest . . . .") and you have approx. 2:16.

Mystery Train

elvis on ed

Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:28 pm

... Cruel runs for 2. 40, minus a 42 sec intro. Thank you very much.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Saw this awhile ago but meant to weigh in and thank "General Sarnoff" for his efforts :!:

It will be great to see the effects of this "LiveFeed video Imaging" restoration process!

:D

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:43 am

Just saw the preview of the Ed Sullivan Shows at the "Insider's Conference." It looks very good - no spots or lines. On the first show you can see that one of the gold records on the wall is "Elvis Presley" (either the LP, EPA or EPB). I had never noticed this before.

They showed "Don't Be Cruel" and "Ready Teddy" from September 9, 1956; "Love Me" from October 28, 1956, and "Hound Dog/Love Me Tender" from January, 1957. It was great to see "Hound Dog/Love Me Tender." They did not show either "Heartbreak Hotel" or "Don't Be Cruel" from the January show.

The story is Ed Sullivan did a retrospective show in the late '60s and they actually cut "Hound Dog" from the kinoscope they had (which Andrew Solt acquired). It was restored from a copy Elvis owned and a copy from Col. Parker's collection - one was "scratched." I must say it's perfect, no sign of splicing, etc.

I'm betting this will be released in January '07; however, at the "Insider's Conference" they said "Fall '06."

Mystery Train

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:06 pm

Sounds good, MysteryTrain, thanks for the post. What was the footage shown on -- LCD TV, projection screen? And any comments on the sound-quality?