All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:59 pm

So great info I found here!!

Let´s wait. Thank you all that have shared here the knowledge about this essential release.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:40 am

In regards to the 1955 8mm "bonus" footage, I have been informed it will indeed be the already-known August 7 color film, first issued in 1997. For some reason, the specific date will apparently not be listed on the DVD itself.

The footage is pretty cool, although silent -- but its relation to the "Sullivan" period beginning 13 months later is a mystery.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The footage is pretty cool, although silent -- but its relation to the "Sullivan" period beginning 13 months later is a mystery.

When the DVD makers are casting their net for some 'extras' to include, I guess they are limited by what's available and what they can get permission to use !

Historical accuracy has to come 2nd sometimes !

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:48 am

Melanie wrote:
ColinB wrote:Though I'd like to have read about the technical aspects of the mastering etc, and if they've got a better source tape.

Kevin Segura on hometheaterforum.com wrote the following message in addition to the incredible news. "It's been tough keeping quiet about this one for the past few months, but now it's official -- the announcement of the next release to feature my LiveFeed video Imaging process. All I can say is that I think you're all in for a treat!"

Thanks for that, Melanie !

But it's strange that the publicity blurb for the Sullivan release doesn't mention the new restoration process.

I'd have thought it would make a good selling point.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:33 am

Colin:

That makes two of us...! :)

But we're in the process of talking to them about that.

-Kevin

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:01 pm

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6188

this is sounding like its just gonna be the Elvis performances, and not the complete shows. it sounds to me like a tight squeeze otherwise. 150 mins or so plus extras on one disc??

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:21 pm

This is the kind of release that begs to have it done both ways.

There are fans that are gonna want to see the original shows complete with the commercials for context.

But after you have seen that, you are gonna want to go to Elvis's songs.

The songs should be seperately chaptered for easy viewing.

But it sure does sound like a single disc so I guess not.

A suggested retail price of $29.99 means it will probably be on sale for $19.99. That is cool.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:45 pm

Todd (from EPE) just posted this on the Elvis Insiders board a little while ago-- I hope he'll forgive my re-posting of it here, but it does explain a thing or two as to why I seem to be the only one spreading the fanfare :

In partnership with Elvis Presley Enterprises, this release is from Sofa Entertainment, the owner of the Ed Sullivan Show catalog. The distributor, Image Entertainment, unexpectedly posted information and cover art on their site before the distribution contract was finalized. (Apparently, they're very excited about it, which is great.) Within a couple of days, we'll have our announcement to the Elvis fan base posted in News on Elvis.com along with content details not included in the Image Entertainment posting.

This is a very exciting release. November 21, 2006 is the release date as things now stand. But, there is a possibility that it could be held until January 2007 to take advantage of Elvis Birthday publicity and the 50th anniversary of the "waist up" appearance by Elvis on Sullivan. Sofa, EPE and Image will determine that soon.

Getting to see all the Elvis footage from Sullivan and seeing it in the context of the shows in their entirety is quite an experience. You'll be able to choose to watch the entire shows or click to "Play all Elvis performances." There will be very good bonus features, too.

It is our fond hope that this will be successful enough that the owners of the other shows Elvis made guest appearances on will want to do releases of their Elvis episodes.

So as you might imagine, I was a little surprised when Kylan first pointed out the link to the announcement and artwork... :)

-Kevin

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:53 pm

The four Beatles "Sullivan" appearances (Feb '64 and Sep '65), each one including the entire program and most of the commericals, were put on two DVDs. The three Presley shots (Sep, Oct '56 and Jan '57) will likely also be on two DVDs in the same manner, with the extras coming right after the 1957 footage. I cannot wait to see these!

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:11 am

The list of extras have been ammended to reflect the correct date (good call, Doc!!) on the Magnolia Gardens footage as August 7th and not April 24th. Also, there is no appearance by Colonel Tom Parker, comedian John Byner does a comedy routine about him.

So here is the corrected list of "Rockin' Special Features", as provided by Image's marketing department:

* A rare home movie capturing a very early Elvis performance, shot on August 7, 1955, at Magnolia Gardens near Houston, Texas
* Elvis and Ed remembered
* Elvis is on his way! Ed Sullivan Show clips
* Special Elvis moments including an appearance by comedian John Byner
* Home movies of Elvis and Priscilla, Elvis and his friends cutting up on a film set and some of the first shots of daughter Lisa Marie

Tom

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:06 am

This is a very exciting release. November 21, 2006 is the release date as things now stand. But, there is a possibility that it could be held until January 2007 to take advantage of Elvis Birthday publicity and the 50th anniversary of the "waist up" appearance by Elvis on Sullivan. Sofa, EPE and Image will determine that soon.

-EPE [/quote]

I guess waiting until January is not too bad when you consider how long we have all been waiting.

It would be a great Christmas (2006) present though - wouldn't it. Surely Sofa entertainment could give it a promo release through the Official Fan Clubs and hit the general public with it in January.

I think this could be a real winner - especially the Waist Up angle!

Maybe this release will set off a domino effect of releases? The entire 50'S tv footage, TTWII (20 dvd set) and On Tour ( 23 DVD Box Set) by Jan 2078 to celebrate the 128th anniversary of when Elvis first changed a guitar string!!! that his mum bought for him because they couldn't afford a skate Board!

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:29 pm

General Sarnoff wrote:Getting to see all the Elvis footage from Sullivan and seeing it in the context of the shows in their entirety is quite an experience. You'll be able to choose to watch the entire shows or click to "Play all Elvis performances." There will be very good bonus features, too.

Great - so it will definately have the complete shows after all.

I wanna see this ASAP, so I hope they stick with the November release date. :D

Rich

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:47 am

There is plenty of room on a single DVD for all three shows plus extras.

I have just , um, dubbed a library copy of the first series of LOST. Each disc has 4 shows of 42 minutes (roughly). So each DVD is about 68 minutes duration.

Even if the shows in the 50's were 50 minutes long - still planty of room.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:55 am

KiwiAlan wrote:There is plenty of room on a single DVD for all three shows plus extras.

That's a bad idea from both a marketing and aesthetic viewpoint. The marketing is self-explanitory, while the aesthetic is more varied.

I like the idea of the 1956 programs on one disc and the 1957 on another. Elvis changed a great deal between September and January, and not just the color of his hair. Besides, if the Beatles merit two "Sullivan" DVDs, so does Elvis.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:32 am

DJC wrote: Besides, if the Beatles merit two "Sullivan" DVDs, so does Elvis.

I don't like this analogy. Here is the way I would do it...............
..........If the Beatles merit two discs, then Elvis merits THREE! or four.
:D

Seriously if this will keep the cost down I am for it.
Besides my shelves are fast running out of room for all my dvd's.
The thinner the package the better.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:02 am

ekenee wrote:I don't like this analogy. Here is the way I would do it...............
..........If the Beatles merit two discs, then Elvis merits THREE! or four.

Since the Fabs made four appearances and Elvis only three, you're really stretching the analogy to fit your own personal view.

BTW, the Beatles "Sullivan" collection is an ESSENTIAL purchase for any true rock and roll fan. This was the second and final time the world tilted on its axis. We all know the first time.

Keeping it real, baby.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:38 am

The Beatles DVD has a mono and 5.1 audio option. What are they doing with the sound on the Elvis DVD?

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:10 am

Sure, they could put this all on one disc. But wouldn't that reduce the picture quality quite a bit? I thought the maximum a DVD could hold while keeping the best quality possible was 2 hours.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:10 pm

This release just keeps getting better and better!

The choice of including 1955 footage is an odd one, but I'll be glad to have it (on DVD, no less). The fact that it'll all be squeezed onto a single disc is a bit worrying, but as long as the shows are complete and looking (and sounding!) good, I see no reason to complain. It is a bit strange, though; the Beatles' getting two discs with no extra features, and Elvis getting a single disc with several extra features. As long as the quality doesn't suffer.

The Beatles' set did have an option for 5.1 surround sound, but I don't really see a need for one. It was recorded in mono, so a true 5.1 mix can't be produced anyway. I have the set, and the 5.1 option just sounds echo-y. Make no mistake: it's not surround sound by any stretch of the imagination.
Last edited by Peter Franks on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:19 pm

I never realized the Beatles made four appearances on Sullivan. Other then their first appearance, how did the rest do ratings wise?

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:39 am

There's a rundown of the DVD contents on the official Elvis site. The first thing I checked was whether the never-seen (by me) medley from the January show was there, and it was.

However, then I noticed that the running time for the following Don't Be Cruel was given as 0:50! Surely it was longer than that, so it must be a typo. :?

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:21 am

Peter Franks wrote:The fact that it'll all be squeezed onto a single disc is a bit worrying ...

Fact? It was never touted as a single disc release.

And now it appears it will comprise not two but THREE DVDs:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... hp?t=24372

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Peter Franks wrote:The fact that it'll all be squeezed onto a single disc is a bit worrying ...

Fact? It was never touted as a single disc release.

And now it appears it will comprise not two but THREE DVDs:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... hp?t=24372

I assumed it was fact because it was announced here that "Image Entertainment is releasing the highly desired 'Elvis' episodes from The Ed Sullivan Show on a single DVD." Considering the second 'D' in this acronym stands for disc, I read this as being a single disc release.

How great it is to be misinformed! The detailed list of contents looks fantastic.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:45 pm

On the 4-C.D. set "A Golden Celebration" the medley "Hound Dog / Love Me Tender / Heartbreak Hotel" is shown as having a running time of 3:53. On the DVD announcment the medley is shown as having a running time of 3:25. The announcement mentions a "restoration" of the medley. Hopefully, "restoration" doesn't mean "edited".

On "A Golden Celebration" "Don't Be Cruel" is shown as having a running time of 2:16. Hopefully, the time in the DVD announcement of :50 is a typo.

The individual running times are:

Hound Dog 1:01
Love Me Tender 1:16
Heartbreak Hotel 1:36
Don't Be Cruel 2:16

Mystery Train

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:26 pm

Peter Franks wrote:I assumed it was fact because it was announced here that "Image Entertainment is releasing the highly desired 'Elvis' episodes from The Ed Sullivan Show on a single DVD."

Fair enough, Peter. My point of reference was this topic alone. My apologies if I implied anything else.