All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:37 am

General Sarnoff wrote:I can't really give out too many more details at this time, but if a question comes up that I feel comfortable answering, I will. Thanks, -Kevin

Have you 'restored' any other Elvis stuff ?

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:41 am

ColinB wrote:
General Sarnoff wrote:I can't really give out too many more details at this time, but if a question comes up that I feel comfortable answering, I will. Thanks, -Kevin

Have you 'restored' any other Elvis stuff ?

Believe me-- three **hours** of Sullivan shows felt like a pretty good start!! :)

I've fiddled around experimentally with other Elvis material, but I haven't been officially commissioned to do anymore... yet. Those requests would have to come directly from the Gleason, Berle and Allen archives.

They know how to get ahold of me, though!

-Kevin

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:45 am

General Sarnoff wrote:
I can't really give out too many more details at this time, but if a question comes up that I feel comfortable answering, I will.

Can you tell us something about the video source? Did it come directly from Andrew Solt? Was it the original kinescope or a later generation copy?

Are there any example clips of this restoration process online?

Chris

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:58 am

ChrisM wrote:
Can you tell us something about the video source? Did it come directly from Andrew Solt? Was it the original kinescope or a later generation copy?

Are there any example clips of this restoration process online?

Chris

Yes, everything came from Andrew, who generously gave me access to all of the extant material in the Sullivan archives. And I must say, both he and his assistant Greg Vines were a pleasure to work with on this project, and all of us owe many thanks to them for their farsighted views regarding preservation of their archive material.

The final product reflects the utilization of the best transfers done to date of the filmed kinescope materials-- in some cases, multiple copies of the same sources were able to be utilized, some for the first time.

And, I had a few tricks (and sources) of my own up my sleeve, as well... :D

-Kevin

And I don't have any LiveFeed process clips online yet, but I hope to, soon-- to be honest, I'm still working on the LiveFeed website...

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:48 am

Are RCA involved with this?

That is - is there likely to be a soundtrack CD release?

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:00 am

Will any of this footage be in colour?

Andy

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:11 am

Re: a possible soundtrack CD--

I honestly don't know the answer to this. I'd be fairly certain that there would be some RCA involvement with such a project, since Elvis was signed to the label during that period, but I have no information that there are plans for a separate soundtrack CD. Since several of these performances are now considerable sonic upgrades from previous releases (both home video and CD), it'd be a nice idea, though!

Re: color footage--

Nothing in the actual programs was colorized-- there may be something in the DVD extras that I don't know about, however.

-Kevin
Last edited by General Sarnoff on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:A-F-T!

The extras are curious. For example, one wonders if the home movie footage from April 24, 1955 at Magnolia Gardens is the same material issued on VHS in 1997 as "1st Ever Elvis August 7th 1955" ...

If it is the same footage, Ernst has said that it is more likely to be August 7 rather than April 24 when this footage was shot.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:44 am

RCA has already released the shows on the golden celebration set.
There is no real reason to re-release something on audio when it is essential a video release in this case.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:34 am

Kevin,

Thanks for posting and answering questions.

The January '57 Ed Sullivan Show has the "rare" material. Most of the medley Elvis did at the beginning of the show has been unreleased to date. He came out with the Jordainaires and did a medley of "Heartbreak Hotel, Love Me Tender, Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel" (not necessarily in that order). The "Don't Be Cruel" portion of the medley has been widely released - the rest is quite rare.

My question is: Will the complete medley be on the new release?

Thanks,

Mystery Train

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:43 am

MysteryTrain wrote:Kevin,

Thanks for posting and answering questions.

The January '57 Ed Sullivan Show has the "rare" material. Most of the medley Elvis did at the beginning of the show has been unreleased to date. He came out with the Jordainaires and did a medley of "Heartbreak Hotel, Love Me Tender, Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel" (not necessarily in that order). The "Don't Be Cruel" portion of the medley has been widely released - the rest is quite rare.

My question is: Will the complete medley be on the new release?

Thanks,

Mystery Train

MT:

Yes, it will-- the actual order of performance for the "medley" (which is in reality, just short versions of the songs, not a true segued medley) is as follows:

Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
Heartbreak Hotel

then a short spoken intro, and

Don't Be Cruel

(...and I guess **that** news should make a few folks happy!!)

-Kevin

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:04 am

I believe the home movie stuff is leftover that didn't make it to Andrew's This Is Elvis.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:46 am

ekenee wrote:RCA has already released the shows on the golden celebration set.
There is no real reason to re-release something on audio when it is essential a video release in this case.

There is every reason :!:

Today's DSD and audio restoration techniques :!:

Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:44 am

Melanie, thanks for ramping this discussion into overdrive with this restoration information. Cryo and Stan those links were most helpful and informative.

General Sarnoff, aka Kevin, welcome! Additional thoughts on this or any future project involving this process are very much encouraged.

Note, Kevin, the "color" query is based on the fact that both Elvis Presley "Milton Berle Show" appearances on NBC-TV in 1956 (April and June) were broadcast in color, via a process called lenticular color.

From the AEK newsgroup archives:

Newsgroups: alt.elvis.king
Subject: Re: Milton Berle show USS Hanncock also in color ?
Date: 10 Dec 2002 13:08:48 -0800

It was broadcast live, and recorded for west coast playback on 35mm lenticular film. Unless that 35mm kinescope survives (it was lost 20 years ago when we did "This is Elvis") then the color show is lost forever. The 16mm copies (which Elvis, Berle and NBC had) are black and white only.

Many NBC variety shows were aired in color at that time. Nearly every one is lost in color.

Of course such color kinoscopes are probably a pipe dream. Aren't they?

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:09 am

Well, I'd read that response from Bob F. some time ago, and was disappointed that his search hadn't yielded more-- at least at that point.

I believe, however, that a threatened litigation between Berle & NBC over custody of Berle's kinescope masters occurred **after** Bob did his search. Since NBC was said at that time to have found nearly all of Berle's "missing" masters, it's quite possible that the 35mm lenticular prints are in that bunch. It wouldn't necessarily be obvious at a casual glance-- lenticular color prints have a B&W image, until the embedded prisms in them are properly exposed to light.

I do know for a fact, though, that NBC lenticular kinescopes of other programs from that era do survive. The trick will be getting anyone to spend the money to have them properly transferred, which at this point would require a custom set-up, and a considerable cash outlay.

Having said that, though, there are a couple I know of that I would **really** love to work on...

-Kevin

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:14 am

General Sarnoff wrote:I do know for a fact, though, that NBC lenticular kinescopes of other programs from that era do survive.

How does the colour quality look ?

Is there equipment around to play them on ?

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:25 am

Essential Elvis! Welcome!

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:26 am

Oh boy oh boy did my heart just skip a beat.

If those color prints exist of the Berle show's,

that will be one great discovery.

Where do I pre-order my copy??

If they get a half a million pre-orders

maybe this will get them do a search

this week!!!!

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:33 am

In much he same way the Gleason private archives yielded all those incredible "lost" Honeymooners episodes from 1952-56, I've always suspected that Berle held similar material.

Of course, fifty year-old 35mm film certainly cannot be expected to last all that much longer, so one hopes (prays) that fans with big pockets come along to help out the recovery process.

Kevin, should we not hold our breaths on this one?

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:37 am

Klyan Thanks for posting the info.... :wink:

I had a feeling something was going to happen soon,
when I mentioned there maybe a confirmed release
annouced soon in a earlier thread since 'Andrew Solt"
will be one of the VIP's invited to the 'Insiders Club"
conference during Elvis Week in Memphis....

Looking forward to this as we all are......

The cover looks impressive as well
as the bonus material sounding great.... :D

General Sarnoff, welcome, look forward to any other info
you may have about this forth coming release..... :smt006

Doc...thanks for bringing up the thread from the AEK board :wink:

Great thread people :smt023

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:In much he same way the Gleason private archives yielded all those incredible "lost" Honeymooners episodes from 1952-56, I've always suspected that Berle held similar material.

Of course, fifty year-old 35mm film certainly cannot be expected to last all that much longer, so one hopes (prays) that fans with big pockets come along to help out the recovery process.

Kevin, should we not hold our breaths on this one?

Well, someone connected with the Berle estate would have to go in and find out exactly **what** masters were discovered by NBC during their vault search-- other than the fact that the network came up with prints of all but a couple of the Berle shows, there wasn't much more public information released. No format size (35mm or 16mm) was mentioned, as far as I know.

As Bob F. mentioned in another Google-archived thread on this subject, if they found 35mm prints of the Berle/Presley kinescopes, there's a good chance that they're lenticular.

Regarding an actual transfer of a lenticular kinescope: to my knowledge, no one has done one completely, though test footage was run just to see if the process was feasible. It evidently **was**, though as I mentioned, it needed a custom transfer set-up to do it. I didn't see the test result myself, but I was told that the color was fine, though the process was a bit of a "light hog", in terms of exposure.

And as far as preservation goes, I don't worry too much about the condition of the film, if it's been stored in the NBC vaults for 50 years-- getting access to the material is the hard part!

So at this point, I'm cautiously optimistic that they might exist, but not too positive that I'll get to see them anytime soon...

-Kevin

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:21 am

Hi Kevin

Wonderful news!!! I have so many requests!!!!!!! :D

The quality of the Sullivan footage on the NTSC American version of Great Performances 3 DVD Box Set (Blue Velvet Cover) is in my opinion fantastic. Are you saying that this can be improved (visually) in a significant way?

Lester

ed sullivan

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:36 am

Is this 35 minute DVD officially sanctioned by EPE? If so, why isn't it on their "label"?! Also, can anyone tell us what extra material will be issued when it is re-released in 2 or 3 years' time?!

Re: ed sullivan

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:47 am

TONY wrote:Is this 35 minute DVD officially sanctioned by EPE? If so, why isn't it on their "label"?!

So cynical – and so wrong. This DVD set apparently includes the three Sullivan shows in their entirety, so the running time is going to be 3+ hours (including the extras).

The footage is not owned by EPE, so there is no need for them to ‘sanction’ it (although they are apparently going to promote it during Elvis Week). Could you also enlighten us on the name of this EPE ‘label’?

Chris

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:14 pm

Hi all,

I've been experimenting a bit with audio restoration tools like STEINBERG CLEAN ( has the Sound Clone feature ) and MAGIX MUSIC CLEANING LAB DELUXE 2006/2007 ( has a similar function ).

I have been trying to achieve some sort of audio effect to improve the sound on especially flat-sounding 1950s material, like the Little Rock show from '56, the SUN Records material ( no need for that anymore, now that we have the fantastic ELVIS AT SUN CD ) and, incidentally, the TV shows.

What this clone process does is analyze a reference audio file, which should be as close to the sound you want to achieve, and performs changes to the EQ, BIAS and other settings of the recording you are working on to be as close to the reference file as possible.

This usually works quite well, especially when dealing with flat live recordings, but in this particular case, I have not achieved a satisfactory result - yet.

Problem is, the audio on the TV shows is of sub-par quality even in comparison with most other sources of audio, because it was recorded in low-fi on the audio-track of b/w film.

As far as I know, they didn't use seperate audio recording machines on these kinescopes, so that the audio source would be of higher quality. For that they would have had to record the audio live during the original live TV broadcast to achieve optimum quality.

Also, mostly, the band was rather poorly miked and you rarely get much in terms of fidelity or transparency, except for Elvis' vocal mike, which also picked up his guitar playing, and usually overlayed the rest of the instruments quite strongly.

I'm not a technician OR an engineer, and am only interested in this for my own private collection, I am not involved in this commercially, so I have had to find out the technical implications by trial and error -

It's darn hard to change a single aspect within a low-fi monophonic single-track audio recording. There is practically no way to change anything without affecting the complete overall sound.

Where background-noise, hiss, rumble etc. can be filtered quite effectively, I have yet to find a truly good way to manipulate such a file according to my specs.

I do have several quite good results, but nothing as good as I would have liked it to sound.

That's why I sincerely hope they will not only enhance the video, but also the audio - so we can finally hear these performances in better quality .....

Cheers

BC55

PS : Anyone know of a place where the Sullivan DVD can be pre-ordered ?