All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis on Ed Sullivan release.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:16 pm

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6162

man i can't wait for this!!!!!

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:22 pm

Neither can I, thanks for the headsup Kylan!

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:38 pm

This is great news, indeed!

-----------------------------------

Here is the cover art of the Image Entertainment release of "of The Ed Sullivan Show - Elvis Presley" which is due November 21, 2006.

This will cost $29.99 SRP, and besides all 3 episodes featuring Elvis Presley, there will be a number of Elvis extras

- A rare home movie capturing a very early Elvis performance, shot on April 24, 1955, at Magnolia Gardens near Houston, Texas
- Elvis and Ed remembered
- Elvis is on his way! Ed Sullivan Show clips
- Special Elvis moments, including appearances by Colonel Tom Parker
- Home movies of Elvis and Priscilla, Elvis and his friends cutting up on a film set and some of the first shots of daughter Lisa Marie.

Synopsis:

Share the excitement of Elvis Presley's earth shattering introduction to the nation in these three unforgettable episodes from The Ed Sullivan Show, now on DVD for the first time ever, and experience for yourself why Elvis became the legendary King of Rock and Roll! Appearing on the show Sept. 9, 1956, Elvis sent shock waves through a repressed nation with his soulful singing, wild hip gyrations and raw energy, attracting a record-breaking TV audience of more than 60 million people. Presley returned on Oct. 28, 1956, continuing to provoke ecstatic screams with hits such as "Don't Be Cruel," "Love Me Tender" and "Hound Dog." In fact, these exhilarating performances were so explosive that Elvis was filmed above the waist during his final Sullivan show appearance on January 6, 1957.

From the TV Shows On DVD site:

The Ed Sullivan Show (originally called "The Toast of the Town" for the first seven seasons, before the name change for the rest of its 23 years on the air) is a legendary program in the annals of television history. One of the landmark events during the course of the show was the introduction of Elvis Presley, the future King of Rock And Roll. This will now be released on DVD.

Sullivan's deal with Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, created national headlines. The sexual energy of Presley's first appearance on 9 September 1956 jolted the staid, Eisenhower conformism of Sullivan's audience. By his third and final appearance, Elvis was shot only from the waist up, but Sullivan learned how to capture a new audience for his show.

Source: TV Shows On DVD - Sullivan - Elvis / Updated: Jul 31, 2006

------------------------------------

Rich

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:29 pm

Now this is something to look forward to. :smt041 Still it's just a start we need all 50's TV performances to be released unedited in good quality. I'll buy this one for sure though.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:29 pm

Now this is something !

Though I'd like to have read about the technical aspects of the mastering etc, and if they've got a better source tape.

At least they aren't perpetuating the myth that Sullivan always had him shot from the waist up !

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:30 pm

A-F-T!

The extras are curious. For example, one wonders if the home movie footage from April 24, 1955 at Magnolia Gardens is the same material issued on VHS in 1997 as "1st Ever Elvis August 7th 1955" ...

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:55 pm

ColinB wrote:Now this is something !

Though I'd like to have read about the technical aspects of the mastering etc, and if they've got a better source tape.

At least they aren't perpetuating the myth that Sullivan always had him shot from the waist up !

Let's just say that I would strongly advise anyone that's able to get to Graceland to attend the presentation that Andrew Solt is giving at the Elvis Insiders Conference... you have a marvelous treat in store for you!

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:55 pm

I can't wait for this one either..

Sounds very promising :D

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:08 pm

Fantastic news!

This is going to be an ESSENTIAL purchase.

Though, I, too, am curious about the mastering.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:03 pm

buddy holly wrote:Now this is something....

Colin B wrote:
Now this is something

Both posts starting with exactly the same four words, and both posted at the same moment !

'Something' is going on here !

....cue the Twilight Zone theme....... Do Do Doo Do !

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:A-F-T!

The extras are curious. For example, one wonders if the home movie footage from April 24, 1955 at Magnolia Gardens is the same material issued on VHS in 1997 as "1st Ever Elvis August 7th 1955" ...

I guess it will be as Andrew Solt owns this footage too, as well as all the Sullivan shows.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:18 pm

ColinB wrote:Though I'd like to have read about the technical aspects of the mastering etc, and if they've got a better source tape.

Kevin Segura on hometheaterforum.com wrote the following message in addition to the incredible news. "It's been tough keeping quiet about this one for the past few months, but now it's official -- the announcement of the next release to feature my LiveFeed video Imaging process. All I can say is that I think you're all in for a treat!"

And this is what he wrote earlier this year regarding the process.

For those who may fans of classic television (as well as folk music!), the upcoming PBS pledge drive documentary on the Kingston Trio titled "Wherever We May Go" will be the public debut of my kinescope restoration system, LiveFeed Video Imaging. I was fortunate enough to have been contacted earlier this year by the fine folks at Research Video to try my hand at processing a couple of clips that they wished to use in the show, and not only did the LiveFeed cuts pass muster, there's also a very small "before & after" promo piece that we've put together which will appear on the DVD version that will be offered through local PBS stations.

And, though I cannot release any other information now, I can also say that another LiveFeed Video Imaging project will be released later this year, in connection with a major classic television archive. Understandably, however, the production company and the distributor would like to strategically announce the title and release information, so I will, of course defer to their wishes. With whatever shred of modesty I may still possess, however, let me say that it should be a highly anticipated project, and we're all mighty pleased with the way it turned out.

More importantly, however, this will now permanently raise the bar with regard to the release of classic live television broadcasts. With a proven system now in place, there is no excuse for anyone to continue to issuing programs that simply look like old movies, nor should fans of those programs have to settle for that. Because that's not what Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Jackie Gleason or a thousand other performers looked like when their shows were first aired... their shows were live, with all of the immediacy, fluid movement and image depth of a modern live broadcast-- and I assure you, once you see one that way, it dramatically changes the way you look at all of those shows.

And of course, the content providers love the new copyright status that the process gives their material (to paraphrase R.E.M., "It's the end of PD as we know it..."), so everybody wins.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:25 pm

Melanie wrote:
Kevin Segura on hometheaterforum.com wrote the following message in addition to the incredible news. ..

<snip>

Certainly impressed with himself, isn't he?

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:27 pm

Melanie wrote:Kevin Segura on hometheaterforum.com wrote the following message in addition to the incredible news.
"It's been tough keeping quiet about this one for the past few months, but now it's official -- the announcement of the next release to feature my LiveFeed video Imaging process.
All I can say is that I think you're all in for a treat!"

So is he talking about this Sullivan release ?

Or is there any evidence that it utilises this new technique ?

It sounds pretty good !

Now for Dorsey, Berle, Allen etc !

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:28 pm

Wow!

Another Maurice? I certainly hope that this person's words have actual substance behind them. Then we should all be in for a real treat!
Last edited by Cryogenic on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:28 pm

General Sarnoff wrote:
Melanie wrote:
Kevin Segura on hometheaterforum.com wrote the following message in addition to the incredible news. ..

<snip>

Certainly impressed with himself, isn't he?

Care to elaborate?

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:33 pm

ColinB wrote:
Melanie wrote:Kevin Segura on hometheaterforum.com wrote the following message in addition to the incredible news.
"It's been tough keeping quiet about this one for the past few months, but now it's official -- the announcement of the next release to feature my LiveFeed video Imaging process.
All I can say is that I think you're all in for a treat!"

So is he talking about this Sullivan release?

Or is there any evidence that it utilises this new technique?

It sounds pretty good !

Now for Dorsey, Berle, Allen etc !

Don't kill the messenger! Yes, he is talking about the Sullivan release. He posted the same link Kylan did to open this thread here. I don't know the guy and I haven't seen the Kingston Trio release (anybody?), but it sounds as if the result is stunning and a new standard regarding vintage TV shows. It is my understanding from the text and explanation that the master is a live feed tape of very good quality. Maybe some of the technical experts can speak to this.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:35 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Wow!

Another spectacle? I certainly hope that this person's words have actual substance behind them. Then we should all be in for a real treat!

M-A-U-R-I-C-E = "spectacle"

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:40 pm

Melanie wrote:Don't kill the messenger!
Yes, he is talking about the Sullivan release.

Wasn't trying to !

It wasn't clear whether this Sullivan release benefitted from this new technique.

You might have been simply showing us an example of the sort of restoration systems that are around today !

Let's hope this starts a rush of old tv shows on DVD !

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:50 pm

Melanie:

It's been a while since I wrote that-- I didn't realize I was quite so wordy...

Please allow me to **properly** introduce myself, folks-- my name is Kevin Segura, and I'm the inventor of LiveFeed Video Imaging.

And yes, the future project I was referring to in that piece about the Kingston Trio show (which incidentally, will be broadcast on many PBS stations across the country during the month of August, and will be available through Shout Factory! as of August 29th) is indeed the Elvis on Ed Sullivan project.

I can't really give out too many more details at this time, but if a question comes up that I feel comfortable answering, I will.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:54 pm

Colin: Oddly enough I was wondering if I should post the tvshowsondvd link to go with my "incredible news" statement and the Kevin Segura quote. But I decided against it, because I figured because I was quoting your question regarding the Sullivan release. Anyway the fault was clearly on my side and I'll try to avoid it next time. Sorry for all the confusion.

Night all!

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:16 am

Ah brilliant! I've been waiting for something like this for so long..

I hope there'll be a Region 2 version, but even if not, I'll buy it anyway and watch it on my laptop.

Top news!

K.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:30 am

KevinK wrote:I hope there'll be a Region 2 version, but even if not, I'll buy it anyway and watch it on my laptop.

Most music DVDs like this one are Region 0, so it shouldn't be a problem. Failing that, you could always go all crazy and spend the £20 needed to pick up a multiregion DVD player.

Chris

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:35 am

I wonder, I wonder, I wonder!

This process was first used by the BBC in 2001.

It has hardly se the world afire!

The provenance of the Ed Sullivan release is somewhat unusual.

But I live in hope :D

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:36 am

Welcome, Kevin!

The text that Melanie was drawing from can be read here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... hp?t=84398

(Personally, I had trouble accessing that, so if need be, here is Google's cached version: http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:9Q ... =clnk&cd=1)

A brief overview/history of the kinescopic video process can be read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinescope

So, however this software works, as with the BBC's version, it must involve interpolation -- approximating more data from less. I am intrigued. Now, it's never going to be as good as having all the signal information in the first place (e.g. as with "The Comeback Special"), but if you've ever seen something like Phillips' "Digital Natural Motion" in action, you'll know the effect can at least be decent. Can't wait to see the results. :D
Last edited by Cryogenic on Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.