Elvis Presley FTD Sound

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MysteryTrain
Registered for: 21 years

Elvis Presley FTD Sound

Post by MysteryTrain »

I've listened to the FTD "Elvis Presley" almost non-stop since I received it a couple weeks ago. Kevan Budd has done his usual best in remastering this classic. I do note that the outtakes, particularly from the January 1956 Nashville Session, sound fabulous as if they were recorded yesterday. When compared to the masters from this session they really shine. The masters are good, don't get me wrong, but not as good sound wise as the outtakes, which leads me to believe that the masters were remastered from second generation tapes whereas the outtakes were remastered from first generation tapes.

Again, Kevan has done a fabulous job on this classic. I look forward to his work on the Jailhouse Rock and King Creole sessions.

Mystery Train
Last edited by MysteryTrain on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MT -

I'm sure your assumptions are correct, although I have yet to receive my copy of this essential purchase. It's likely the album masters are all Kevan had to work with.

I think of this release as "Stage Three" of that Budd magic, with Elvis At SUN (BMG) and Loving You (FTD - Deluxe) as One and Two.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

audiophiliac
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by audiophiliac »

I love the Loving You FTD best, which may be the most perfectly produced of them all soundwise. I thought Kevan Budd had even improved upon the regular CD release on that one.

As far as the first album, I'd like to do a closer comparison between the 2006 special edition and the 2005 CD release.
Last edited by audiophiliac on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

How about the 1995 24 karat gold CD of Elvis Presley?

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Matthew, is that you in the photograph? :lol: I've also posted a shot of myself. :lol:

Got my copy of "ELVIS PRESLEY- SPECIAL EDITION" two days ago and have only had a little time with it ...

From what I can see and hear, it's just off-the charts terrric!

Doc, you're gonna love it.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

audiophiliac wrote:I love the Loving You FTD best, which may be the most perfectly produced of them all soundwise. I thought Kevan Budd had even improved upon the regular CD release on that one.
I wasn't too interested in this album before the FTD version came out. Never gave it much of a chance, I guess. Now it's one of my all-time favourite FTD releases. I've played it so much it's ridiculous and I still can't get enough.

(Yeah, I realize that was off-topic... So, here goes: The sound on "Elvis Presley" is very good, but I'm not an audiophile, so what do I know? All I know is I've been playing it a lot and I love it.)

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Deke Rivers II
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Deke Rivers II »

I love Kevan's work! I want so much to hear his work on King Creole and Jailhouse Rock as well as the Feb & June '58 sessions.....I think he should be given all the First Generation masters to work from. I am hoping there will be surprises on the King Creole FTD.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 19 years

Post by ritchie valens »

if rca has the 1st generation 50s masters they need to let kevan use them. we want perfect sounding masters not 2nd rate copies.

boppin bob

Post by boppin bob »

Received my copies of the FTDs yesterday.

Robert
Last edited by boppin bob on Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Scott Haigh 781990EP

Post by Scott Haigh 781990EP »

And just think, Kevan resigned about a year back and then signed on again. If he had'nt have done that, it probably would'nt have turned out as good as people are saying it is.

I'm like a stranger, like a stranger in my own hometown
My so called friends stopped being friendly, oh but you can't keep a good man down

http://www.myspace.com/musicprisoner

Post by Guest »

Yes it is a great job they did with it.

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

[All misleading email, PM reference, and web-link disposed -- FECC BOOGEYMAN]

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Matthew, is that you in the photograph? :lol: I've also posted a shot of myself. :lol:
That's actually the original planned artwork for Elvis Presley, but thankfully someone spotted the error back in '56 and quickly came up with the famous cover we have today. The fact that it looks uncannily like me meant I had to use it..... :wink:

:lol:

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

The sound on Elvis Presley is first rate - really natural and clear. It's comparable to the excellent sound ACE get on their 50s reissues - check out the latest volumes of the Golden Age of American Rock n Roll.

Kevan should get a pat on the back - we should all buy him a pint of beer for his work!

What a great CD - even the snippets are great!!!

Andrew

P.S

Mo,

Don't hijack the thread.

dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Matthew wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Matthew, is that you in the photograph? :lol: I've also posted a shot of myself. :lol:
That's actually the original planned artwork for Elvis Presley, but thankfully someone spotted the error back in '56 and quickly came up with the famous cover we have today. The fact that it looks uncannily like me meant I had to use it..... :wink:

:lol:
The photo of Matthew reminds me of the scottish artist "Midge Ure" (Ex Ultravox).

Regards//Björn

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

Yes, This is a great release from FTD ! Elvis sounds great on this one.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

MauriceinIreland wrote:
Anfield77 wrote:Yes it is a great job they did with it.
MauriceinIreland wrote:
Anfield77 wrote:lol

Your banned on TCB-WORLD Maurice, lest you forget!

You'd be lucky to know what a woman looks like........let alone one going near you.

Still, you have to take what you get Maurice, probabaly why you ended up with what you did!
This is beyond a joke and FECC should act now.

I hope a few decent guys here will inform them too.

Uh....Maurice, any thoughts about the " 'Elvis Presley': Special Edition" FTD release? :roll: With all due respect, we get it that you're mad at this guy: tell it to the Adminstrators (but just once)...and leave us out of it.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Rob

Post by Rob »

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. He's toast (thankfully).

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Haven't got my copy of it yet but I'm going to order it pretty soon, I almost got the money saved up for it and I can't wait to get it after hearing all these good things about it.

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

Topic author
MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

I love Kevan's remastering - it's second to none. But, there is no way one can say that the original masters, which maybe have never sounded better, sound as good as the outtakes. The punch and fidelity of the outtakes is noticably better!

Mystery Train

ritchie valens

Post by ritchie valens »

that's where rca screws up still not using the 1st generation masters. they probily use safety copies.

audiophiliac

Post by audiophiliac »

ritchie valens wrote:that's where rca screws up still not using the 1st generation masters. they probily use safety copies.
I'm sure they used the best they have. On the other hand, after checking the 1995 24 karat gold CD version I spotted some significant differences. I wonder if they used the original session tapes of the individual songs here, as opposed to the original LP album master for the golden CD version ? I guess only Kevan could step in with the correct details.
Last edited by audiophiliac on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

audiophiliac wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:that's where rca screws up still not using the 1st generation masters. they probily use safety copies.
I'm sure they used the best they have. However after checking the 1995 24 karat gold CD version I spotted some significant differences. I wonder if they used safety copies of the individual songs here, as opposed to the original LP album master for the golden CD version ? I guess only Kevan could step in with the correct details. It's unfortunate that we don't get that kind of inside information for such a major EP release. :cry:
To my knowledge the original LP album master was not used for the 24 Karat CD (mastered by Steve Hoffman), as his philosophy is quite a bit different. Whenever possible he tries to use the original mastertape, i.e. the original session mixdowns from which an LP production master is later manufactured (by applying EQ, compression, etc.). In some cases these tapes sound very raw and unpolished (remember they were locked up back then with the thought that nobody would ever listen to them, as the record labels considered the LP master as their one true and only mastercopy). Many original session mixdown tapes were actually marked "Do not use" in the vaults.

Scott Haigh 781990EP

Post by Scott Haigh 781990EP »

I'm quite tempted to get my own, even though i'm not totally fond of the 50's Elvis. If the sound sounds as good as it does, it has to be pretty damn good. How is the artwork and packaging?

I'm like a stranger, like a stranger in my own hometown
My so called friends stopped being friendly, oh but you can't keep a good man down

http://www.myspace.com/musicprisoner

paulwood

Post by paulwood »

Re. the masters sounding good but not as good as the outakes.

Don't know but I get the impression they have a bit more license to work on the sound of the outakes and thats why they might sound better than the masters -which presumably purists would want matched up to the originals as closely as possible.

Kevan Budd has done a good job with the sound ( 'Elvis Presley' is a good example of his work) and is the right man to work on the FTD releases. Think they need a different kind of sound for releases aimed at the general public though.