All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:19 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I don't know if anyone's embarrassed. If anything, it seems like labels like Madison act as a compliment to the main label, almost with a :wink: and a nod. I don't have a problem with such "escapes."

ImageImage

Thenexte, I was quite taken by this late version of "Help Me."

I agree it's a bit shocking (my ears are used to so many better versions) but in a way, it was quite appropriate and even effective.

This version of Help Me is authentic, in an ironic way. Elvis is clearly exhausted, and it shows in several places. But, he is concentrating and, I feel, giving his best. I don't know if the breakdown on the final line was caused by a distraction or faulty memory, but up until that point he is trying so hard.

Let It Roll has been in my car CD deck for the past week. I'm Leavin' and Promised Land are two standouts. Promised Land absolutely cooks.

I listened to this CD for the first time while wearing headphones and was very impressed with the stereo separation and the fact that certain instruments have been brought up in the mix. A prime example is Tutt's work on It's Midnight.

And speaking of It's Midnight, we now have two separate rehearsal recordings of the song, taped some 9 months apart. Elvis' speech is dramatically more impaired on the August '74 recording.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:58 pm

elvisjock wrote:I listened to this CD for the first time while wearing headphones.

I didn't know there was any other way to listen to Elvis. You definitely get the full effect by doing it this way.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:43 pm

drghanem wrote:My favourite-track is the much rumoured-but-never-heard Johnny B Goode from the 1971-sessions, short but amazing. Does Ernst have a more complete version of this one on tape, or did Felton push the button too late?

I was disappointed with this track.

From what there is, it doesn't sound like a killer version.

In 1970, Elvis tore this number up in rehearsals. This '71 recording sounds lame and uninspired.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:11 pm

londonflash wrote:In 1970, Elvis tore this number up in rehearsals. This '71 recording sounds lame and uninspired.

There's a big difference between rehearsing a song with your core rhythm section for a live performance, and an off-the-cuff jam with Nashville studio musicians.

The May 1971 take is just for fun, and it is! Besides, neither compares to Elvis' white-hot live cut from August 1969.

Having just received Let It Roll, I agree with every good thing said on this MB. It's a real gift, made by fans for fans. And that "Promised Land" really does kick serious butt.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:08 pm

Poorest MADISON release yet. It's practically all available else where. I was looking forward to I'm Leavin' but it's only 5 more seconds. My Way the same dreary take. All the Without Love takes are already available. There are a couple of moments but generally it's a boring set.

let it roll

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:23 pm

... Im sure your review will get a special place in the Madison

reviews scrapbook... Ever thought of going pro as a writer?

Please dont.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:40 pm

Cheers Ger! I have had many published works but with a few seconds to write a quick message, it's hard to reach my usual standard.

Incidentally, LET IT ROLL isn't crap. It's nice. Just not enough new stuff to warrent it a classic. What's new is nice. :roll:

let it roll

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:24 pm

... Dont let my fame scare you off... you can stick to your first version,

if that makes you happy. And Im sure you will be over the moon with

"Bombing Down The Fort". All new live versions, such as Love Me,

Hound Dog, and god knows what other surprises! Elvis live in the

summer of 76! They dont come any better than that!

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:28 pm

Your fame??

I remember giving a great review of INSIDE JAILHOUSE ROCK in the Elvis Monthly, and just because I had one negative coment about the size of the photo's, you went bananas in your reply and took the piss out of me for prefering LIVE A LITTLE to JAILHOUSE ROCK.

Did your "Fame" go to your hair?

Heheh! I like your books Ger. They have minor faults but that doesn't mean they're crap. Same goes for the cd in question here.

let it roll

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:45 pm

... Live a Little over Jailhouse Rock???!!!

I should have known, from looking at your avatar, you have strange

taste! Rock your b*lls off, swingin little guitar man. Live a little, Love a

Little... HAHAHAHAHA!!

I need a stiff drink, now!

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:50 pm

It's a brilliant film! Along with SPINOUT and GIRL HAPPY, we have his three most enjoyable in my opinion.

Jailhouse Rock is corny and badly acted but still enjoyable enough. They all are really but his best acting job's are the later comedy ones.

Right folks .... start your "Swingin-little-guitar-man is a dunce" messages now. Heheheh!

RUN FOR THE HILLLLLLLLLS!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Re: let it roll

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:04 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Dont let my fame scare you off... you can stick to your first version,

if that makes you happy. And Im sure you will be over the moon with

"Bombing Down The Fort". All new live versions, such as Love Me,

Hound Dog, and god knows what other surprises! Elvis live in the

summer of 76! They dont come any better than that!

Ger, there you are, going off again. Back to the bat cave! :lol:

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:07 pm

Swinging Little Guitar Man is a dunce!!

(Well you did ask!!)

Just kidding BTW :wink:

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:22 pm

Yeah isn't he? Heheheh!

Did you realise that he loves EASY COME EASY GO soundtrack - it's his favourite!!

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:32 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Yeah isn't he? Heheheh!

Did you realise that he loves EASY COME EASY GO soundtrack - it's his favourite!!

Mine too!!!!

Re: let it roll

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:13 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:And Im sure you will be over the moon with "Bombing Down The Fort".

Oh yes, H o l d i n g B a c k T h e F a r t will be a great release !
Last edited by Thomas on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:11 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:All the Without Love takes are already available.

Wrong. Next time you deign to offer a review, get your facts right. Or would you rather just admit you're joining the MB "idiot" crowd?

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:There are a couple of moments but generally it's a boring set.

I'd advise you to avoid all future Madison releases. God knows the plethora of wonderful "import" choices fans have in 2006, 28-plus years after Elvis died.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Having just received Let It Roll, I agree with every good thing said on this MB. It's a real gift, made by fans for fans. And that "Promised Land" really does kick serious butt.

How about that booklet, Doc?

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:34 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:All the Without Love takes are already available.

Wrong. Next time you deign to offer a review, get your facts right. Or would you rather just admit you're joining the MB "idiot" crowd?

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:There are a couple of moments but generally it's a boring set.

I'd advise you to avoid all future Madison releases. God knows the plethora of wonderful "import" choices fans have in 2006, 28-plus years after Elvis died.

drjohncarpenter,perhaps you should get the facts right?

All Without Love takes are previously released.....they are on Suspicious minds dobbel disc,Memphis sessions and Finding the way home.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:48 pm

The good doctor actually does have his facts right - there is the "unreleased" false start (mainly dialogue) that would have become take 2 of Without Love on Let It Roll that I've certainly not had before. Might not be the performance of the 20th century, but for those of us that compile cd-r's of sessions as new takes appear for fun, it's a welcome addition!

I love Let It Roll...

let it roll

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:51 pm

... Some takes of without love are here in STEREO for the first time!

But not having the bonus booklet [....] makes it harder to spot certain

differences, now doesnt it, chaps. Like the remark "My Way" is the

same dreary version..." Yes, but minus the frikkin echo, added later.

Not too many fans posting here, actually listen to the music. They

just collect them, for the sake of collecting! Listen, and learn!

Or else, be so kind to shut up!

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:37 pm

I got my copy of "Let It Roll" on Saturday. I was working, so didn't get to listen until Sunday. ALL DAY!!!!!

I LOVE this cd..........not like......LOVE.

From the fantastic booklet (are you there BMG??) to the tracks, to the excellent sound quality. This one's a classic.

Sincere thanks to the fans at Madison for leading the way in the Elvis catalog. As much as I love FTD, it wouldn't be here without the contributions (past and present)of fans such as those at Madison.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:38 pm

OK, I give up! I thought I could live without this CD but all the hype has made me reconsider and I have now ordered the gotdamn thing! :shock:

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Good man Keith........you won't regret it!!!!

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:49 pm

Rob wrote:How about that booklet, Doc?

Booklet?

Oh yeah -- Madison artwork / booklets are changing the way true fans regard "import" releases. Anyone choosing a CD-R over an original Madison are cheating themsleves.

These booklets are so full to bursting with creative design, incredible color photos -- some I've never seen -- and tasty liner notes, it's simply amazing.

Let It Roll may be the best of its kind to date.