All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: Madison artwork / booklets are changing the way true fans regard "import" releases. Anyone choosing a CD-R over an original Madison are cheating themsleves.

They do more than that. It's the booklet of this release that makes 51% of the fun.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:47 pm

Thomas wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Madison artwork / booklets are changing the way true fans regard "import" releases. Anyone choosing a CD-R over an original Madison are cheating themsleves.

They do more than that. It's the booklet of this release that makes 51% of the fun.

Damn right! I got this CD today, and the hype is justified. What a cool little release. The booklet is a true joy to read and look at and it's so obvious that the producers just love to make these releases. Just a shame it (the booklet) isn't bigger! The music ain't too bad either. I have to admit that I like the master of "My Way". In fact, I really like it. :oops:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:05 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:The booklet is a true joy to read and look at and it's so obvious that the producers just love to make these releases. Just a shame it (the booklet) isn't bigger!

Makes you wish they still manufactured LP's... can you imagine that booklet full size???

8)

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:31 am

elvis-fan wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:The booklet is a true joy to read and look at and it's so obvious that the producers just love to make these releases. Just a shame it (the booklet) isn't bigger!

Makes you wish they still manufactured LP's... can you imagine that booklet full size??? 8)

I know, I know! :D

In fact I bought "A Legendary Performer Vol. 4" on eBay this week and I did it mostly because of the booklet (I have Vol. 1-3 already). No CD booklet can ever compare to an LP booklet. I'm glad FTD use the 7" format for the deluxe albums, though. Those are nice.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:25 pm

:lol: I only just recieved this cd today! so far iv'e played it 3 times and still enjoying it..i know that most has been released before but the SOUND QUALITY on stuff like i'm leavin, promised land and help me was simply 'amazing!' booklet excellent too and real work of art... yes i know it's a 'short' running cd... but then i just bought the wendy carlos complete clockwork orange cd as well this week and that runs for like 48 minutes!!! so still short running cd's around. even other tracks like patch it up and always on my mind or bosam of abraham have extra dialogue and the guy who posted that Elvis was stoned during the johhny b. goode piece from nashville 1971 must have rocks in his head.... like Elvis is just having fun in the studio and we were never meant to hear that anyway.How they managed better sound than bmg i don't know but an audio surprise indeed it is!.. will be playing this cd a darn site more than FTD Clambake! :oops:

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:54 am

I was a little late in getting this release...
An when I first read about this release with
seeing the song list ... I was thinking to myself....
no biggie I can wait.....I've heard it all before....

Well, I will tell you something if I did, it was nothing like
this.....!!!

I was totally blown away by the quality of this release..

The sound is so pure and clean, its almost like being there
in the studio with Elvis.....

I haven't had this feeling since "Nashville Marathon"...
Here I was driving home with the CD in the car
stereo tonight which is the first time I had the
opportunity to listen to it and I just couldn't
help thinking to myself, there just isn't
any body like Elvis and I was proud to be a
Elvis fan !

What a voice...it almost brought tears to my eyes in a
good way, because again I just couldn't believe the
clean sound of these "takes".....

Not one "take" sucks in my opinion and I don't even like
some of these songs.. :lol: .or at least I didn't until now. :wink:

When it comes to the booklet, well, what can be said
it was triple A once again.....outstanding ! :smt023

Madison you did good ! :wink:

Anyone thinking of passing this release by
would be making a BIG mistake in my opinion...

So, do what you can, whatever it takes
get this release, you will be pleasantly
surprised. :smt031

PEP 8)

let it roll

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:19 am

... I did told you so, months ago!

Still... plenty o'fans will prefer a sloppy 76 soundboard to dynamite

studio material. Wankers.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:54 pm

i wonder if madison have anymore goodies from the 70s studio sessions that would make another winner.

jess

Re: let it roll

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... I did told you so, months ago!

Steady on Ger!!!

Each to his own.

I prefer studio rarities anyday; but for the live fans - that's their interest, so don't knock it.

I buy everything, and so do a lot of us - even the jumpsuit junkies :wink:

PS, DON'T WANT TO GET YOU TOO EXCITED BUT HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THIS NEW THREAD :

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25356&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Re: let it roll

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:07 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... I did told you so, months ago!

Or four sloppy '75 soundboards boxed together in one set... ;-)

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:19 am

PEP wrote:Image

Here I was driving home with the CD in the car
stereo tonight which is the first time I had the
opportunity to listen to it and I just couldn't
help thinking to myself...

...what Rob of FECC fame would do to you if he caught you ruining a mint copy of this fine import by using a car CD player? :lol:

DJC wrote:
Oh yeah -- Madison artwork / booklets are changing the way true fans regard "import" releases. Anyone choosing a CD-R over an original Madison are cheating themsleves.

These booklets are so full to bursting with creative design, incredible color photos -- some I've never seen -- and tasty liner notes, it's simply amazing.

Very well said! It's the truth...!

- a former CD-R user in my novice days... :oops:

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Ah, I listened to this CD a couple of nights ago, and it's still a favourite of mine. Probably my most-played Elvis release of 2006. Very few songs were actually unreleased but that doesn't bother me one bit. "Let It Roll" is a classic!

I wonder if we can we expect a follow-up to this one? Or have the Madison guys run out of studio material?

(I would also like to see a Madison CD with songs from the '60s soundtracks, similar to the "Out In Hollywood" FTD. That could be fun!)

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:14 pm

I was just thinking about Let It Roll a couple of days ago. This was one of the best releases of 2006. I played it constantly for a few weeks, and then it found its way to the shelf.

We are so inundated with new releases that the truly great ones tend to get lost in the shuffle. I'm not complaining by any means, but in terms of sheer volume there's an awful lot coming at us.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 pm

This is really a great release. I love it too - and yes: this is the one that found its way into my CD player most often - along with ONE NIGHT ONLY which is the first soundboard recording in years I listened to repeatedly.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:27 pm

The quality level is really high.

One of the rare slightly sour reviews came from Oven at Elvis In Norway:

A Touch of Platinum
(Review by Oven Egeland)

Madison's "Let It Roll" has been out for quite some time now and has in general gotten very high ratings from Elvis fans familiar with bootlegs. What is it with this CD that makes it so popular?

Looking at the tracklist on the cover of Let It Roll, it has some nice inclusions. Stating to feature a rehearsal and an alternative (never before released) take of 'It's Midnight', a new take of 'Bosom Of Abraham', together with a short version of 'Johnny B. Goode' and 'Holy Night' from 1971. Also featured is a multi-track outtake of 'Help Me' from Saginaw, May 3 1977. A version that didn't quite make it for inclusion on FTD's Spring Tours 77.

Already some days after its release, observant Elvis fans found out that both 'It's Midnight' and 'Bosom Of Abraham' were the same versions found on BMG's Platinum released back in 1997! A definite set-back, indeed! Actually, the only - never before heard - music on this CD are a brief rehearsal of 'It's Midnight', some 1 minute and 15 seconds of 'Johnny B. Goode/Holy Night/Talking' from 1971 and 'Help Me' from Saginaw 1977. Not bad, but certainly below what Madison self would like us to believe. Do better home work next time, this is not the first occasion of so-called new findings, proving to be something else (*).

Now that we know what is on the CD, what is really on the CD? Well, the rehearsal of 'It's Midnight' is a nice inclusion. It works as a perfect buildup to the previously available take 10 of the same song. Actually, 'It's Midnight' sounds better on this disc than it does on Platinum! It is not very common that bootlegs releases comes in better sound than the official release, but it does so here!

The same word applies to 'Bosom Of Abraham'. It is the Platinum version (take 3), but in slightly better sound. However, the songs start and then stops, before it starts again! Why not fix this tape error?

'I'm Leavin' really doesn't offer anything new. Neither does take 2, nor take 3 of 'Always On My Mind'. Both are officially available and have been for a number of years. Both these songs come in a rather dull sound compared to the other tracks on this CD. Even more, also on take 3 there is a tape error that should be fixed before release. Elvis saying "Get out..." and "Get out, motherfucker" is the same sequence, though here it is presented like two different ones!

'Promised Land' also from Platinum sounds better here and is running all the way to the very end, like all takes on this CD. 'My Way' from Essential 70's Masters is presented in what is said to be the original mix. It sounds a bit different, but still is a dull version of the song! From the Christmas session in 1971 we get a few seconds of a warm-up version of 'Johnny B. Goode'. It sounds loose as a goose, but would be nice to have in a complete form. After this Elvis shouts out "O Holy Night" and continues to warm up with a reverse 'The First Noel', "Leon!, Leon!" He sure sounds frenetic here!

'Patch It Up' has a clipped intro, but runs all the way to Felton Jarvis' "It's a gas" comment. 'Help Me' from Saginaw, May 3 1977 comes in great sound. Almost better fidelity than the similar tracks on Spring Tours 77. However, it sure is a poor delivery from Elvis. He sounds very week all through the song and I understand why FTD chose to include 'Help Me' from Ann Arbor a week before on their release Spring Tours 77.

The CD ends already after 5 takes of 'Without Love' (3 tracks on the CD). Thus making the running time on this CD unusually short!

To summarize this CD it is fair to say that it is a nice one. Even with short running time and false information from Madison, most tracks are welcomed. Especially track 1, 2, 7, 9 and 11. The artwork is stunning like eh... normal from Madison!

At this rate, they can reissue the "Elvis Sings For Children" album if they'll keep packing in the quality.... :lol: