All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

LET IT ROLL - the reviews

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:26 pm

Just to bring order into this chaos ... here are my impressions of LET IT ROLL.

I found the CD in my mailbox this morning. Put it into the player in my car. I could only listen to the first 4 tracks but how great are these!

The sound is amazing, crystal clear, although a little too clear to my ears, too hard (know what I mean?)

/1/ It's Midnight - the rehearsal
Great track. The vocals are first to rehearse their part, after them Elvis rehearses his parts ... it's great, it's casual, it's an good old fashioned outtake. The best track to start a CD like this one.

/2/ It's Midnight - take 1(0)
Well, listening to it I was not quite sure if this is really the take that was released on PLATINUM. Have to check this tonight again. But it's fun listen to, especially after listening to the rehearsal.

/3/ Bosom Of Abraham
Oh man, I like that lot of chat! Someone of the Imperials is talking to Elvis (I guess) making jokes about the start of the song. What follows is a pretty bluesy version, a great rocker, if you ask me ....

/4/ I'm Leavin' - unedited master
The second highlight of this CD (if not the fourth already). This great melodramatic song goes on and on and on until Felton interrupts the flow cheering "Yeah, that's it. Fantastic!" What a great track! As this is the master, everything is simply perfect with this take ....

... to be continued later.....
Last edited by etp on Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:59 pm

mhhh ... makes my mouth water. mine should arrive soon.

Re: LET IT ROLL - the reviews

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:20 pm

etp wrote:/2/ It's Midnight - take 1(0)
Well, listening to it I was not quite sure if this is really the take that was released on PLATINUM. Have to check this tonight again.

Keith Flynn has already categorically stated (and proved) that the two are the same.

Edited by the FECC Team

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:36 pm

Edited due to FECC Admin editing of referring post
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:40 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
Well, listening to it I was not quite sure if this is really the take that was released on PLATINUM. Have to check this tonight again.

Keith Flynn has already categorically stated (and proved) that the two are the same.

Calm down mate!! Keith is not God you know!!!

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:42 pm

Oh, and the sound on It's Midnight is vastly superior to Platinum. That is one of the worst sounding tracks on the whole Platinum set IMO!!

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:05 pm

Spellbinder wrote:

Can someone of the moderators erase this stupid and offending comment, please!?

:twisted:

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:27 pm

Spellbinder wrote:

Spellbinder, can't you make your point without the insults? Not everybody has a chance to read all the info that's posted.

let it roll-

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:41 pm

... And yet another thread goes down the drain... I hope you can

continue tonight, etp [ elvisthepelvis?] Must be the heat, as spellbinder

isnt half aggressive, as I am :D

Re: let it roll-

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:56 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:etp [ elvisthepelvis?]

Your nickname should be Sherlock Holmes, Ger :P

You're reight - and besides: you're the very first to recognize it!!!!!

Re: let it roll-

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:13 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... And yet another thread goes down the drain... I hope you can

continue tonight, etp [ elvisthepelvis?] Must be the heat, as spellbinder

isnt half aggressive, as I am :D

Thank God we got that cleared up, I thought etp stood for easy to please.:D Thanks for the partial review so far etp, looking forward to the rest.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:03 pm

I'll just add that Madison has done it again. Another great release that is definitely worth adding to your collection.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:07 pm

Spellbinder wrote:

Edited by the FECC Team

And the same goes for bosom of abraham.....just the talking parts are new.
Still a cd worth getting.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:10 pm

Amazing though that Madison has better sounding [tapes?] than BMG!!

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:47 pm

Yes, what is the story with that? :lol:

Those Madison booklets are so good that I'd almost take a blank CD-R inside...

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:02 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Amazing though that Madison has better sounding [tapes?] than BMG!!

I don't think they have better sounding tapes, they just do a better job of mastering...

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:21 am

LET IT ROLL finally arrived here today, and boy it was worth the wait.
This is one bound to become a classic, the opening is fantastic. My favourite-track is the much rumoured-but-never-heard Johnny B Goode from the 1971-sessions, short but amazing. Does Ernst have a more complete version of this one on tape, or did Felton push the button too late? How I love the booklet, informative and packed with cool illustrations. Now that front-pick is great, very U.S. I call it America, and I love it...
Tell the Sergeant to keep up with these Madison-cd´s, I love them.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:32 pm

Received my LET IT ROLL today, and I can only confirm everything that has been written so far. The artwork is FAN-TAS-TIC!

It's a shame it's got only 14 tracks.

Nevertheless, this is one of the coolest Imports EVER!

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:50 pm

Sounds like i might have to get a CDR of this CD lol!!!!! ;-)

Shame about the length of the CD - but what is on there is very good. Great sound to and it looks great! It's nice to hear how the songs end

Andrew

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:19 pm

AndrewJ wrote:Sounds like i might have to get a CDR of this CD lol!!!!! ;-)

Don't !!!
A - This release can now easily be found
B - You will miss a fantastic CD cover & cool feeling
C - You destroy the "business" :?

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:31 pm

AndrewJ wrote:Sounds like i might have to get a CDR of this CD lol!!!!! ;-)

Shame about the length of the CD - but what is on there is very good. Great sound to and it looks great! It's nice to hear how the songs end

Andrew

It clocks in at around 45 minutes which ain't too bad (compared to say the new Camdens :wink: )

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:47 pm

Listening to the May 3, 1977 version of "Help Me" (a multitrack live performance) on "Let it roll" it seems Elvis is almost losing it! He is just worlds away from the 1974 Memphis version, his voice almost cracks at one point. What an irony hearing Elvis sing this song in this state, he really sounds like he is begging for help! A very, very sad performance...

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:55 pm

thenexte wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:Amazing though that Madison has better sounding [tapes?] than BMG!!

I don't think they have better sounding tapes, they just do a better job of mastering...
Sounds right to me. And embarrassing for the label. Or should be.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:19 am

I don't know if anyone's embarrassed. If anything, it seems like labels like Madison act as a compliment to the main label, almost with a :wink: and a nod. I don't have a problem with such "escapes."

ImageImage

Thenexte, I was quite taken by this late version of "Help Me."

I agree it's a bit shocking (my ears are used to so many better versions) but in a way, it was quite appropriate and even effective.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:46 am

thenexte wrote:Listening to the May 3, 1977 version of "Help Me" (a multitrack live performance) on "Let it roll" it seems Elvis is almost losing it! He is just worlds away from the 1974 Memphis version, his voice almost cracks at one point. What an irony hearing Elvis sing this song in this state, he really sounds like he is begging for help! A very, very sad performance...

I cannot believe this version was recorded a day after the killer Chicago show. In Chicago Elvis sounds very strong and fresh..

This was the closing show in Saginaw right.. One gig too many I guess :(
I was surprised in an unpleasant way by this weak performance.. the sound is awesome btw..

Cheers, RJ