All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

A new release in Fort Baxter's Classic Series!

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:47 pm

Well, friends. I'm looking forward to this one! I'm not sure if longtime collectors will drool over this release, but I haven't heard either show (don't own the "A Profile" box-set or "Memories From Kalamazoo") so I will definitely pick up a copy. The notes and artwork for the previous CDs in the Classic Series are of Madison-quality and the sound has been improved compared to the original releases (so I've been told).

Here are the details (taken from the Import News section):

Shaking Up The Great Lakes
The third release on the Fort Baxter Classic Series will be Shaking Up The Great Lakes . This CD will feature the April 24th, 1977 Ann Arbor, MI show ( originally released on the A Profile - The King On Stage vol.1 ). Since the soundboard recording is incomplete the CD will contain also the performance recorded two days later in Kalamazoo, MI. Both soundboard recordings had some songs edited out when originally released, and for the first time presented in their complete form. These two concerts certainly make a nice double features as both contain several songs done only once, songs like ; Trying To Get To You, Jailhouse Rock, Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel, Help Me, Little Sister, Polk Salad Annie, Unchained Melody, Little Darlin', Big Boss Man, Heartbreak Hotel, And I Love You So, Blue Suede Shoes and Hurt.

The material is presented in its best-ever sound quality to date with a 12 pages colour booklet, relevant text and photographs. This is scheduled for release in September. Definitely a very interesting CD to those who missed them out back then, and further more since it will be in better sound quality.

Track listing :

01- Love Me * 1:35 ; 02- If You Love Me, Let Me Know 2:54 ; 03- You Gave Me A Mountain 3:36 ; 04-Trying To Get To You 2:25 ; 05 - O Sole Mio / It's Now Or Never 4:09 ; 06- Little Sister 1:52 ; 07 -Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel 2:10 ; 08- Help Me 2:42 ; 09- My Way 4:02 ; 10- Polk Salad Annie 4:08 ; 11- Hurt ( with reprise ) 2:50 ; 12- Hound Dog * 2:02 ; 13- Unchained Melody 2:36 ; 14- Little Darlin' 1:52 ; 15- Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing vamp 1:58 ; 16- Love Me 2:41 ; 17- Fairytale ( false start ) 0:31 ; 18- If You Love Me, Let Me Know 2:54 ; 19-You Gave Me A Mountain 3:44 ; 20- Jailhouse Rock 1:58 ; 21- O Sole Mio / It's Now Or Never 3:34 ; 22- Big Boss Man 2:53 ; 23- Heartbreak Hotel 1:55 ; 24- Blue Suede Shoes 1:12 ; 25- And I Love You So (with false start ) 4:08 ; 26- My Way 4:13 ; 27- Hound Dog* 1:53 ; 28- Can't Help Falling In Love* / Closing vamp * 2:17

* previously unreleased

Tracks 01-15 recorded on April 24th, 1977 Ann Arbor, MI

Tracks 16-28 recorded on April 26th, 1977 Kalamazoo, MI

Total running time = 74:59

source : e-mail / July 24th, 2006


Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:52 pm

There's no doubt that everyone will tell me now that there is absolutely NO WAY to get around these releases, BUT:

A few years ago, I struggled for months to get my hands on the two original "Profile" boxes which are now a proud part of my concert collection. I will always treasure them and NOT buy these new releases.

Bring something new, and you will get my money.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:02 pm

I hear you, Thomas. I probably wouldn't buy this CD if I already had the original releases. However, Fort Baxter do put some serious effort into these Classic Series releases - again, the booklets are marvelous - so they are perfect for new fans.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: A new release in Fort Baxter's Classic Series!

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:28 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:The notes and artwork for the previous CDs in the Classic Series are of Madison-quality


This doesn't surprise me...I have a hunch they are the same people.

8)

Re: A new release in Fort Baxter's Classic Series!

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:13 pm

Matthew wrote:I have a hunch they are the same people. 8)

I have had this hunch for quite some time now :wink:

Re: A new release in Fort Baxter's Classic Series!

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:16 pm

Matthew wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:The notes and artwork for the previous CDs in the Classic Series are of Madison-quality


This doesn't surprise me...I have a hunch they are the same people.

8)


I have a hunch they're not....

a new release

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:31 pm

... Baxter is Madison, and visa versa? Add this to the other great

mysteries of our time : What was in the boxes, the Colonel

turned over to EPE, back in 1990... and, is Sean Shaver alive...?

... and had the Colonel filmed over 400 of Elvis his concerts, and

had them secretly hidden under his bed? ... and why isnt BMG

releasing all them mysterious Sun recordings... and why do I

enjoy being such an acid p*sser?!... and...

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:13 am

Thomas wrote:There's no doubt that everyone will tell me now that there is absolutely NO WAY to get around these releases, BUT:

A few years ago, I struggled for months to get my hands on the two original "Profile" boxes which are now a proud part of my concert collection. I will always treasure them and NOT buy these new releases.

Bring something new, and you will get my money.


Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I hear you, Thomas. I probably wouldn't buy this CD if I already had the original releases. However, Fort Baxter do put some serious effort into these Classic Series releases - again, the booklets are marvelous - so they are perfect for new fans.

Keith Richards, Jr.


I agree with Keith. I missed the prior boxes, but from all accounts I recall here about "Kansas City Blues" and "Last Tango In Tahoe" (which I own), the sound is much improved and the booklets are deluxe on a level that make me wonder if the boxes will look totally outpaced by the time the series finishes....

If we can buy several versions of his main albums with glee, mainly imports deserve some consideration for "upgrades."

As for the similaries, aren't we not supposed to get into guessing identities and such? Unless you own BMG stock, save it, mate. :lol:

Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:35 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:mainly imports deserve some consideration for "upgrades."

To a certain point you are right. But since a year or two we haven't had new soundboard material, only re-issues. Gets pretty boring.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:38 am

indeed quite a few new soundboards in a year or two, closing night 73, las vegas january 74, texas 74 and 76....Oh!! I forgot these are official releases and ignored-criticized-destroyed by that bunch of those guys of the "if it's ftd is s+hit" league!! :oops:

(of course thomas I get your point that you are refering to imports :wink: )

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:45 am

The point is: I just can't get enough :lol:

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:50 am

Thomas wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:mainly imports deserve some consideration for "upgrades."

To a certain point you are right. But since a year or two we haven't had new soundboard material, only re-issues. Gets pretty boring.


How about that little known title released recently called One Night Only, ya know, that 1971 tour show in Boston 8)

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:54 am

that doesn't count. Sounds 10 to 6 compared to the original power of z., looks like 10 to 3 to the original power of z., but it's STILL a re-release.

So welcome, but...

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 pm

frus75 wrote:that doesn't count. Sounds 10 to 6 compared to the original power of z., looks like 10 to 3 to the original power of z., but it's STILL a re-release.

So welcome, but...


Fair comment.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:46 pm

How much more is there really to exploit? Might this "polishing" up of previous releases just be a realistic reflection that there's not much more in the can? Or to get access to...?

a new release in

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:22 pm

... What Ive heard, is only a few more Baxters will get the treatment.

The Profile Boxes will not be touched again, sez my boss. That way,

they will stay collectors pieces. And rightly so! New soundboards...?

Yeah, there are a few in the fridge. But sales are not that great, in

general. We know the reasons, dont we?! So whos gonne stick his

nose out, if up forehand sales are not exspected to break even with

the money invested ? If you give it a cool and calculated look, after

2-3 weeks, even FTDs are not discussed here anymore.

Theres been far too many releases, in the last 5 years. With

new releases having a 2-3 weeks life span, its bound to end rather

sooner then later...

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:27 pm

That would be VERY sad.

Re: a new release in

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:50 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:The Profile Boxes will not be touched again, sez my boss. That way, they will stay collectors pieces.


I guess that is the way to go. I would love to see "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" getting the deluxe treatment before the Classic Series is over, though. And "Just Pretend".

Too bad that the CD-R crew is ruining the bootleg business... Of course, FTD probably has a lot to do with this, too. I guess we should be thankful for what has been released so far, but it is always nice to have new releases (books, CDs, DVDs) to look forward to.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: a new release in

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:12 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:If you give it a cool and calculated look, after 2-3 weeks, even FTDs are not discussed here anymore.
Theres been far too many releases, in the last 5 years.


That's a word, Ger!

Who's talking and/or discussing about ONE NIGHT IN BOSTON? Noone.
Who's talking and/or discussing about LET IT ROLL? Noone.
Who's talking and/or discussing about ELVIS PRESLEY? Noone.

It's a fast-food business nowadays. You get'em, you listen to them, you put them away and take the next release!

The times when I listened half a year to JUST PRETEND and enjoying it for the thousanth times a long ago.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:19 pm

ONE NIGHT IN BOSTON --> because its a Re-Release
LET IT ROLL --> because its not a concert
ELVIS PRESLEY --> because it's another classic album

:wink:

Nothing against LET IT ROLL though ... looks like a very colorful & interesting CD, but it's not out yet.

Re: a new release in

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:22 pm

etp wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:If you give it a cool and calculated look, after 2-3 weeks, even FTDs are not discussed here anymore.
Theres been far too many releases, in the last 5 years.


That's a word, Ger!

Who's talking and/or discussing about ONE NIGHT IN BOSTON? Noone.
Who's talking and/or discussing about LET IT ROLL? Noone.
Who's talking and/or discussing about ELVIS PRESLEY? Noone.

It's a fast-food business nowadays. You get'em, you listen to them, you put them away and take the next release!

The times when I listened half a year to JUST PRETEND and enjoying it for the thousanth times a long ago.


To be fair, "One Night Only!" was discussed in detail for a couple of weeks. I posted about four replies on that thread so I ain't got much left to say about it. I still listen to it, though! But the new FTDs have hardly been discussed at all, which is very strange... Part of the reason, I guess, is because there are so many new topics on this site every day that even the good ones disappear within like two days, replaces by new topics.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: a new release in

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:06 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:But the new FTDs have hardly been discussed at all, which is very strange...

Well, here's my little "Found My Thrill" review: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24048

Re: a new release in

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:15 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
etp wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:If you give it a cool and calculated look, after 2-3 weeks, even FTDs are not discussed here anymore.
Theres been far too many releases, in the last 5 years.


That's a word, Ger!

Who's talking and/or discussing about ONE NIGHT IN BOSTON? Noone.
Who's talking and/or discussing about LET IT ROLL? Noone.
Who's talking and/or discussing about ELVIS PRESLEY? Noone.

It's a fast-food business nowadays. You get'em, you listen to them, you put them away and take the next release!

The times when I listened half a year to JUST PRETEND and enjoying it for the thousanth times a long ago.


To be fair, "One Night Only!" was discussed in detail for a couple of weeks. I posted about four replies on that thread so I ain't got much left to say about it. I still listen to it, though! But the new FTDs have hardly been discussed at all, which is very strange... Part of the reason, I guess, is because there are so many new topics on this site every day that even the good ones disappear within like two days, replaces by new topics.

Keith Richards, Jr.


Well, I haven't been able to post comments on the FTD's, because I'm still waiting for them to arrive :-(

Some of the shipments were delayed, including FECC, from which I ordered mine from.

So that may be why more people aren't posting about them...

Rich

Re: a new release in

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:49 pm

etp wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:If you give it a cool and calculated look, after 2-3 weeks, even FTDs are not discussed here anymore.
Theres been far too many releases, in the last 5 years.


That's a word, Ger!

Who's talking and/or discussing about ONE NIGHT IN BOSTON? Noone.
Who's talking and/or discussing about LET IT ROLL? Noone.
Who's talking and/or discussing about ELVIS PRESLEY? Noone.

It's a fast-food business nowadays. You get'em, you listen to them, you put them away and take the next release!

The times when I listened half a year to JUST PRETEND and enjoying it for the thousanth times a long ago.


I agree to some extent and with Ger that there's things don't always get the notice they did, but ONE NIGHT ONLY had several threads at a time as has LET IT ROLL.

I only got ELVIS PRESLEY yesterday. It's an embarrassment of riches these days.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:14 pm

I think over the years Ive become somewhat spoiled when it comes to new imports and the FTD's.So much material has come out that I think it takes something exceptional to catch my attention.I think you can get a little jaded with all the cd's that come out.Im guilty of just putting in a cd and skipping through it rather than kicking back with the headphones and truly listening to it like I used to.Even more so when it comes to the audience recordings.
Jak