Mario the chef (september 2 1973 Las Vegas reference)

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Melanie
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Melanie »

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this discussion. And N8 your most substantial answers make for great reading. Learned something new today, though I had figured out pieces of the puzzle before. The depth and details never cease to amaze me and the learning process certainly will never stop. Also I agree about Glady's. I am going to keep this short, because I decided to take a little break from posting on the All-Elvis section, until things have calmed down a bit. Right now I don't want to write in a thread and unintentionally start another flame war.

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I should add that I agree that N8 has nailed the Colonel/ EP relationship.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:In a related note, one of the most shocking photos in Ernst and Peter's "Elvis - Day By Day" is of "colonel" Parker holding newborn Lisa Marie. Of the thousands of images of the Dutchman, that is the ONLY one where he looks genuinely warm and, dare I say it, human. The ONLY one.
Here is another photo, that probably falls into this category.

PS/ I have been informed that things are calm again.

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Break is over. And I know that this is not the picture section, but here is another upload.

Emilio of TTWII fame (if that is him) meets The Meanest Cat In Town. Love the shirt.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

[quote="Melanie"]Break is over. And I know that this is not the picture section, but here is another upload.

Emilio of TTWII fame (if that is him) meets The Meanest Cat In Town. Love the shirt.

[/q
uote]

Melanie, I must be thinking of somebody else. I thought Emilio was the guy who greeted Charro, Norm Crosby and the other people at the door during TTWII.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

Joe Car wrote:Melanie, I must be thinking of somebody else. I thought Emilio was the guy who greeted Charro, Norm Crosby and the other people at the door during TTWII.

Joe,

The person who greeted Norm Crosby, Juliet Prowse, Charro and Xavier Cugat is/was Gene Vaughn. I don't know if he's still alive or not.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

In some of Guralnick and Hopkins' books, some of the humanity (or is it just "personality"?) comes through, but not too much...

Always thought it was a bit eerie to see "the Colonel" still standing and out in public in this shot from the '90s, with Elvis now existing only on a stamp. :evil:

Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Tony Trout wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Melanie, I must be thinking of somebody else. I thought Emilio was the guy who greeted Charro, Norm Crosby and the other people at the door during TTWII.

Joe,

The person who greeted Norm Crosby, Juliet Prowse, Charro and Xavier Cugat is/was Gene Vaughn. I don't know if he's still alive or not.
Thanks for clearing that up for me Tony. I knew something wasn't right.

elvis67
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvis67 »

Fascinating reading .that's what I expect from an EP forum . Thanks N880EP ( and the others ) for these brilliant posts

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

Joe Car wrote:Thanks for clearing that up for me Tony. I knew something wasn't right.

You're welcome. 8)

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

elvis67 wrote:Fascinating reading .that's what I expect from an EP forum . Thanks N880EP ( and the others ) for these brilliant posts
When not distracted, this forum is awesome.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

Did EP not have a lawyer who could have helped him sort out his situation with the Colonel?
Yes, there were plenty entertainment attorneys and rock managers that could have brokered an amicable split between Elvis and Parker. It undoubtedly would have cost Elvis money, but it would have been paid off over time and new direction from a talented manager (and there were more than a handful of them in the 70s) would have potentially generated a lot of income for Elvis.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

midnightx wrote:....a talented manager (and there were more than a handful of them in the 70s) would have potentially generated a lot of income for Elvis.
And given Elvis a larger cut from it !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

And given Elvis a larger cut from it !
Most definitely. It would have been probably a 15-20% take accross the board by a new manager. They would have audited Parker's books and Elvis' newly appointed attorneys would have reviewed the contracts/agreements Elvis had made with Parker as well to determine if they were enforcable. And Elvis' record deal with RCA would have been restructured immediately (the 4 album per year release schedule would have been axed). While Elvis' career fizzled out after 73 under Parker's guidence, he certainly wasn't a lost cause. He could have made a big creative comeback under the watchful eye of a truly innovative and talented manager.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

by the way folks, wasn't his original 1969 Vegas contract expiring exactly in september 1973?

I assume that in 1973 there were lots of people willing to "buy" elvis for those 3 million the Colonel claimed.

But keep remembering that besides the questionable managing of the so called Colonel, Elvis would have probably ended the same way.

His increase of medication wasn't due to playing vegas. Indeed he recovered after the october 73 debacle and from november on he was clean, up until august 74.

I tend to believe that his main problemn wasn't his divorce, his vegas routine or whatever. From a certain point, the main trouble were the pills. The pills magnified every little problem. I imagine elvis in his room...waiting for NBC to screen a certain movie he wanted to watch....NBC changed plan and I imagine Elvis saying "to hell with that!" and throwing 5 sleeping pills down his throat, or 5 anfetamines and saying "Linda hon, let's go out, call the boys JOEEEEEEEEEE!".

That problem started long ago in Germany, and increased during the 60's. Have you ever taken sleeping pills. The first knocks you. " weeks later you don't notice them, and some people thinks....hey let's take one and a half....

The problem was there when you see the comeback, or TTWII, or Aloha.

Look at Elvis on tour. He was supposed to be depressed by Priscilla leaving him, and he stills makes a recording session very professionally and very focused (so remembers Emory Gordy). He pulls himself through very good shown, and months later conquers New York. He is depressed, but the pills still don't rule his life completely.

Now let's place ourselves in december 76. He's almost slim again, newly in love with Ginger, doing great shows. On his way to Memphis in the first hours of 1977 he talks with Felton. "we need strong records, we need less overdubbing...let's make a good session in a good studio". He even forgot the book thing.

While felton arranges the session, material is selected and elvis is happy with ginger, even spending the night alone with her at the Alden's house.

Then he flies to Nashville and because Ginger isn't in the mood to go with him he is depressed to the point of abandoning the recording session, and he starts a series of short tours that will be his last.

In march-june 72 he had genuine reasons to be depressed, but he pulled himself out of it to a certain level of self-decency.

In January 77 he hadn't genuine reasons, he was just depressed and the pills run his life.

Iván

La voz del Rey

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Mario the chef (september 2 1973 Las Vegas reference)

Post by jurasic1968 »

Like Albert Grosmann, Bob Dylan's manager. he had some common features with Parker but never took more than 25% - his share