All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Patch It Up complete footage, Aug 12th 1970 DS

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:58 am

This song was only ever performed twice by Elvis in concert that we know of.

On both ocassions it was pro filmed by MGM.

But, even with the film That's The Way It Is Special Edition retaining the song again via the same performance from the Aug 12th dinner show we still got short changed.

On the SE version of the DVD we had the bonus of hearing about the restoration of the film under the sub title of "Patch It Up". Well "Bodge It Up" might have been more apt.
Not only didn't we get the better version of the performance but we got an editted version yet again of the Aug 12th DS show which was also what we got in the original 1970 movie, albeit a different edit.

Despite having this rarely sung song available in its entirety MGM / Turner have refused to officially let us see it.

Below is the timeline of some of the various angles and shots including the audio soundtrack wave image of the song from the aug 12th DS.

Look at tracks 4 and 7 which are the audio tracks repectively.
The first block in track 4 relates to the end of the previously performed song, I Just Can't Help Believin' (which is still officially unreleased).

The next block on track 7 releates to the audio on SE, but then notice the gap where track 4 takes over again.
This is the part of the performance which was edited out.

After a while back in it comes only to have a second part edited out.

The following is a compilation of all camera angles and all audio merged into one complete performance of the song ( including the end of IJCHB). you'll notice the 16 track audio taken from where its available on the SE version. The inferior audio cuts in on the parts they didn't want us to see.
Unreleased so far is 2:26 - 3:16 and 3:44 - 4:01

Please click on the following stills image for the video:

What the clip doesn't include is the shots, or rather the better quality of same shot if any from the original version of the film which just happened to also be edited down but in a differnet edit format. I can't be doing with picking that to bits as well just to find a slightly better quality shot as my Original film DVD was a VHS transfer anyway.
Last edited by Steve_M on Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:38 am

Great stuff as always Steve. 8) The 'officially' unreleased version of 'Patch It Up' is a gem, particularly when he manages to arch his back at the end. Wasn't it performed three times, Opening night and Aug 12th DS/MS?

I've just noticed this thread has had 3066 views since last night and I am the first to reply! Are my eyes playing tricks on me? :D

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:18 pm

HI Steve
your video work is simply the best
the fans looking your work can t imagine how is hard and long to do this
Thanks
christian M

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:33 pm

Great Job Steve ! :smt023

Like Christian said, some do not realise how long
something like that takes...

PEP 8)

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:39 pm

I know it takes a long time to do!! Thanks for this Steve!! Great work!!

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Delboy wrote:Great stuff as always Steve. 8) The 'officially' unreleased version of 'Patch It Up' is a gem, particularly when he manages to arch his back at the end. Wasn't it performed three times, Opening night and Aug 12th DS/MS?

I've just noticed this thread has had 3066 views since last night and I am the first to reply! Are my eyes playing tricks on me? :D

Not the 12th MS it wasn't. Yeah, I prefer the opening night version as well.
Many folks send links out for others for clips so many people click the link to open the thread up directly without noticing the amount of others that have looked.

doesn't surprise me about the views to replies ratio. Most fans dont seem bothered by having something "new" and unseen anymore but prefer to get involved in discussing more obscure topics.

Each to their own though, eh ? :wink:

Thanks Del, Christian, PEP and Roddy

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:40 pm

Great work Steve - I can only imagine how much work you put into that.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:22 pm

The next one-off clip I thought I'd do is one of the shows Elvis "wanders" through the audience.

Some may think I've lost it completely with this suggestion, but, there are loads of angles and some reveal the Colonel not very happy with what Elvis is doing. Elvis just looks straight through him and onto the next bit of skirt wanting to stick her tongue in his mouth. Great stuff.

One was a toned down treck, the audience seemingly reserved / stunned / shocked / frozen the other show they just went nuts.

That might have to wait until i'm next on holiday (vacation to you yanks) - hope those thousands who've viewed this thread liked what they saw of PIU - dont stay so quiet next time - or this time - you can still speak up!

This has to be the lowest thread views to posts ratio ever. :lol:

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:39 pm

Thanks, Steve !

You must have some neat video editing software !

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:45 pm

....THANKS!!! :) :smt023

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:49 pm

Thanks psk and macuser and JLGB.

Thanks Colin, yeah but a lot of software will do it - the secret is patience and having the time to have the patience if that makes sense. That clip was about 26 hours in total to do. The sheer picking away at the different shots every few seconds because that's how they did it for the SE version. Give it a very fast pace to match the song though.

Love Ronnie really enjoying it in the close ups of him.

But I just decided to watch it again (hate doing that coz i see another mistake everytime I do that I've made) but - hear the end of I Just Cant Help Believin' - no gong!
Was the gong overdubbed on the original film ? Or did they use a gong on that performance and not this one ? no gong on the record as far as i can recall. Maybe the gong was bought in to cover up the bottom of the scaffold for the camera? but the record version of IJCHB was before this was bought in.

anyone have info on this ?

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:55 pm

Steve, I can't seem to get it, what format are you running? Thanks in advance and thanks for your hard work.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:58 pm

My humour - or the clip ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe, (yeah doin' fine thanks re your question in other thread :wink: )

It's just a Windows Media File. (sorta universal one where everyone gets it.)

Except you :(

Okay so clicking on the picture above dont work. hmm..... are you on a clock work wind up dial up modem ? If so you might need to wait (nearly forever) or..... hmm, or... or what ? i dunno, I fix it so you see somehow but i get back to you on this.

EDIT:

Joe, try right-click and select Save Target As... and it should download.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:15 pm

Gong?! sounds like something from a Cheech and Chong movie! :lol: Oh!! It was something else that rhymed :oops: :lol: :) ....

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:31 pm

hey whats the name of the software that you use to edit this?
great job by the way!

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:26 pm

Thanks Steve!
Excellent work!

Lennart

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:40 am

Thanks Lennart.

Guitar_Slinger_6120, this particular clip was created using a program called Magix. There are others I use, Magix does have a tendency to be a bit slow though.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:14 pm

I've watched that clip several times over the last few days, and I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of it.

You have put a lot of work into it, and it shows. This is the way they should have made TTWII in the first place (in my opinion).

Thanks for sharing your work. 8)

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:56 am

There's lots of stuff to keep up with on this board (or wade through) and it's easy to miss a good thread now and then...!

Steve: great work, as usual! :D

Patch it up

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:35 am

Amazing work Steve !!!! We Elvis fans do appreciate your hard work!!!! Thanx for sharing!!!

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:58 pm

Fantastic Steve!!

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:51 pm

WOW!! :shock: That's AWESOME, Steve!!

Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:16 pm

Excellent work and very much appreciated, Steve. Thank you!

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:04 pm

Sweet mother of God. That was very impressive, Steve. Thanks!

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:38 pm

Steve_M wrote:The next one-off clip I thought I'd do is one of the shows Elvis "wanders" through the audience.

Some may think I've lost it completely with this suggestion, but, there are loads of angles and some reveal the Colonel not very happy with what Elvis is doing. Elvis just looks straight through him and onto the next bit of skirt wanting to stick her tongue in his mouth. Great stuff.

One was a toned down treck, the audience seemingly reserved / stunned / shocked / frozen the other show they just went nuts.

That might have to wait until i'm next on holiday (vacation to you yanks) - hope those thousands who've viewed this thread liked what they saw of PIU - dont stay so quiet next time - or this time - you can still speak up!

This has to be the lowest thread views to posts ratio ever. :lol:

Brilliant, Steve, thanks!! Wow, 7000 views in just a few days! I was shocked to see that the Alizee thread in the picture section has around 16000 views, so it seems even Elvis can't compete with her :twisted: :evil: :wink:

I'm certainly looking forward to the Elvis walking through crowd-clip! Am I wrong, or did they focus on what you correctly call the "toned down treck" in TTWII SE, while the original movie included footage from the wilder treck? Haven't watched the original in quite a while, since my VHS broke down, but I recall it looking really different there.