All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:35 am

tupelo_boy wrote:
InMemphis wrote:I don't know what some of you guys saw.

It was the quintessential Elvis, a pro, a master at his art, who had complete command of the live audience and the performance also transfered magnetism and charisma to the taped version that was seen later and is still the same today.

I know all Elvis fans have their favorite Elvis era or their favorite Elvis performance. So, in my own humble opinion this was Elvis' best show, a little of everything for everybody, the material that was selected, his appearance, vocals and the band were all spectacular.

He nailed it, and in thousands of years that will be what they find when they run across Elvis.

In so much as he became the Elvis that all ETA's aspire to be, you are correct.

Geoff

Well, you are right about that. But basically what else did they have to work from unless they are of age to have seen him in concert? The 68 special and Aloha are the only tape/dvd they could get their hands on to play over and over again to mimic his moves and gestures. That's my bigges ire with the ETA's there are hundreds of them and they all do the same show. One splendid Elvis hour frozen in time forever.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:But perhaps Thomas means it was 'perfect' in that Elvis doesn't fluff any lines, get the giggles, forget lyrics, play around, or generally mess up !

Again, it must be another show that Thomas is referring to, as Elvis on January 14, 1973 in Hawaii is not nearly "perfect."

It's a high-water mark for the pagentry of the later Elvis, but performance-wise it is something else altogether.

For example, he jumps the introduction to "It's Over" (Guercio and band cover nicely), and screws with the lyrics during a less-than-inspiring "Suspicious Minds."

Hope y'all enjoyed this reality check.

Doc, jus curious...

Could you list any more "examples" of what you mean so I can get my reality in check :?: :wink:

Thanks a bunch...

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:24 am

minkahed wrote:Doc, jus curious... Could you list any more "examples" of what you mean so I can get my reality in check :?:

Only a single example is necessary to shatter an assertion the show was "perfect," as any intelligent person knows. To be fair, I provided two.

At your request, another example of something less than perfection in Elvis' performance that night is his failing to properly deliver the lyrics to "Burning Love."

Now, why don't you give the show a viewing and learn more?

The "Aloha" experience offers many nice moments, but it was never, and will never be, "perfect." And that's the way it is.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:35 am

hey dr john hey f99ked up the words to burning love in the rehearsal but got em right during the real show thanks to some cue cards

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:20 am

Nobody knows what was going through Elvis' head that night but to me seems fairly uninspired on most numbers.I did appreciate the performance more after watching it from the boxset due to the good quality and having the distractions removed.I just think its missing the passion that Elvis was capable of.I may be biased also because I think the setlist suffered from a few numbers better suited for the vegas lounge.Overall I think the performance was just average with a few exceptions.I wish he would have came out and just ripped into the show and not been afraid to mess up his hair that night and played the part of a true rock n roll star and just let it all hang out.On the other hand he sure looked pretty that night.
Jak

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:00 am

I don't think anyone can do a "perfect" show.
The show on the 12th was not a rehearsal per se.
Rehearsals are loose and do not include an audience.
Besides there are stills of the actual reheasals and as far as we know, these were not filmed.
It was still a concert.
It was taped as "the special" just in case something went wrong on the live satellite show night.
If anyone has doubts that it is not perfect, just listen to the cd.

When I want to hear this concert I view the dvd, its better that way.

Another thing, having nerves also drains you of energy.
I would think that for the 48 hours prior to the broadcast he was very nervous and when it all ended he was spent.
Why on Earth they didn't pre-record the song inserts at another time is beyond me?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
minkahed wrote:Doc, jus curious... Could you list any more "examples" of what you mean so I can get my reality in check :?:

Only a single example is necessary to shatter an assertion the show was "perfect," as any intelligent person knows. To be fair, I provided two.

At your request, another example of something less than perfection in Elvis' performance that night is his failing to properly deliver the lyrics to "Burning Love."

The "Aloha" experience offers many nice moments, but it was never, and will never be, "perfect." And that's the way it is.

Nobody's perfect Doc. The fact remains. he nailed many numbers that night, under extreme pressure.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:11 am

DJC wrote: And that's the way it is.

I don't think that's the show they were referring to. :)

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:16 am

Joe Car wrote:Nobody's perfect Doc. The fact remains. he nailed many numbers that night, under extreme pressure.

I agree, but if you look on the first page of this topic, you read the words of someone who thinks "Aloha" was "perfect." Which is plain wrong.

ekenee wrote:DJC wrote: And that's the way it is.

Good one, e.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:24 am

Joe Car wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nobody's perfect Doc. The fact remains. he nailed many numbers that night, under extreme pressure.

True, he did, including American Trilogy and I'll Remember You in particular. I don't think many would deny that. The disagreement occurs when people describe this as Elvis' best show or suggest Elvis was on anything like his best form. He simply wasn't. There are some great performances and some pretty lacklustre performances - physically and vocally! That's perfectly understandable given the pressure of the situation and I'm not criticising him for it. Too often when judging the merits of this show, people seem to be blinded by the occasion, and the great video and sound quality. There are countless shows that are far superior. We just don't have a perfect visual record of them.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Nobody's perfect Doc. The fact remains. he nailed many numbers that night, under extreme pressure.

I agree, but if you look on the first page of this topic, you read the words of someone who thinks "Aloha" was "perfect." Which is plain wrong.

ekenee wrote:DJC wrote: And that's the way it is.

Good one, e.

Given the situation, given the mass audience, given the live album, given restrictions put on audience members and I believe EP's movements, it's as good as show vocally as one can do. This night you weren't going to get EP from TTWII, or EOT for that matter, the stakes were too high with many different religions and countries involved in something for the very first time.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:12 am

carolynlm wrote:Not perfect???? Some of you are very difficult to please.

You miss the point. No one said he should have or could have achieved perfection. Or did I miss something? The disagreements occur when some claim this generally average show was perfect. Most of the up tempo songs in particular are no great shakes, including Suspicious Minds. Even though it was a huge concert with a worldwide audience, he still ran through the oldies with no respect at all, except for Big Hunk O' Love which was pretty good. He should have performed Love Me with the same commitment he did it in 1970. Same goes for Blue Suede Shoes, which was very poor. The ballads are generally much better, but they aren't all the wonderfully crafted performances that some claim them to be. Listen to Something for evidence of that.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:23 am

TJ wrote:

You miss the point. No one said he should have or could have achieved perfection. Or did I miss something? The disagreements occur when some claim this generally average show was perfect. Most of the up tempo songs in particular are no great shakes, including Suspicious Minds. Even though it was a huge concert with a worldwide audience, he still ran through the oldies with no respect at all, except for Big Hunk O' Love which was pretty good. He should have performed Love Me with the same commitment he did it in 1970. Same goes for Blue Suede Shoes, which was very poor. The ballads are generally much better, but they aren't all the wonderfully crafted performances that some claim them to be. Listen to Something for evidence of that.

CC Rider, Steamroller Blues, My Way, What Now My Love, Im So Lonesome, Big Hunk, Johnny B, I'll Remember You, You Gave Me A Mountain, Trilogy were all brilliant performances.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am

Kylan wrote:
CC Rider, Steamroller Blues, My Way, What Now My Love, Im So Lonesome, Big Hunk, Johnny B, I'll Remember You, You Gave Me A Mountain, Trilogy were all brilliant performances.

All brilliant? Johnny B is just ok and had been done much better before. What Now My Love is one of the weaker versions I've heard of this, save for the great ending. The singing on the verses isn't out of the top drawer. Steamroller Blues was also performed much better at other times, as it has that slightly warbled quality again. Mountain, Trilogy, I'll Remember You and It's Over are the real stand outs.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:53 am

ok, ill give u Johnny B wasn't Aug 69 but it aint damn bad for Jan 73!

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:58 am

Kylan wrote:ok, ill give u Johnny B wasn't Aug 69 but it aint damn bad for Jan 73!

Yup, not damn bad. Never said it was bad :wink:

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:00 am

true true, I just hate seeing Elvis get criticized! lol

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, No...Doc...

I agree witchu...

Jus wanted to see if we were both sharing the same the reality... :wink:

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:21 am

carolynlm wrote:No the show wasn't perfect....but what is perfect?
Did Elvis ever perform a 'perfect' show from start to finish?
No carolyn. :) Elvis would make sure of that.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:39 am

No, it's just that some of us prefer to honor the memory of Elvis by looking at his life and career in an honest and thoughtful manner.

carolynlm wrote:If there was anyone who was trying to 'sell' Elvis....the Aloha concerts are a pretty good place to start.

Not really.

The best place for anyone to begin an introduction to Elvis Presley is by viewing "Elvis '56" first, followed immediately by the two sit down shows taped for his 1968 TV Special, as released on DVD in 2004.

Entering the 1970s, TTWII SE is by far the most essential choice.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:48 am

What I wonder is, if the excuse we give Elvis for not being His normal "dancing self" is because He was playing for a huge crowd and there was a lot to gain and lose, then why in the 68' Special was He a totaly rocking Elvis?Because He had to prove He could still rock?In Aloha was He trying to show everyone He could really sing? Well, He did both, but the 68' Special was just as big if not bigger for E's career in my opinion as Aloha was. I think after 72' Elvis started to decline as the performer He once was. From 73' on, we only see glimpses of 68,70, and even 72' for that matter. I'm talking about His movements, not sining quality, because He improved in a lot of ways when it comes to the singing part of it. I just think He was getting a little older and a little slow, not to mention He wasn't the happiest guy around.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:50 am

agree...

On january 14, the music was perfect.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:58 am

JYM wrote:agree... On january 14, the music was perfect.

Perfect. Yes, yes, perfect.

Um, hey there JYM -- did you bother to read any of the previous two pages, or were you too engrossed with your Yanni "Live at the Acropolis" video?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:00 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yanni........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:18 am

carolynlm wrote:well, we are all going to have to agree to disagree on this one. No one person is right and certainly no one person is wrong on this subject ...

I disagree! As I'm sure you'll agree.