Aloha Concerts--Questions??

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Me2
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Me2 »

Cryogenic wrote:
Scatter wrote:The black leather of '68 wasn't purposely commissioned by Elvis to represent anything or convey a statement to anyone.........the Bald Eagle and Red, White, and Blue of the Aloha jumpsuit was purposely chosen as personally revelatory. A statement to the world of who he was and what he believed.
...because he was going on a world stage.

The black leather represents nothing? That's interesting. I think millions of viewers and journalists would disagree with you.
Exactly. Elvis didn't even like wearing the black leather outfit. But he really liked the jumpsuits.

Me2

Post by Me2 »

Thomas wrote:Why always compare everything to the Beatles?

Paul McCartney is a brilliant composer, performing the songs he creates in his own, unique style. Elvis was an Entertainer, singing more spectacular versions of songs that were already there.

And by the way, "Something" was written by George Harrison.. :roll:
Mccartney WAS great at producing catchy songs. All of the things people say he is great as is in the past tense. He used to be good at what he did. Good singing wasn't one of them.

Fonzie

Post by Fonzie »

Scatter wrote:He didn't say "Get me some black leather to show the world I'm a rebel"
He did say "Get me something that says "America" for the Aloha Special.
I like that.

re: "Something" -- the only fair performance comparison would be Elvis' Aloha version to the Beatles live version.

.....oops. there isn't one! :shock:

But Harrison has a 1970s live version. It sucks compared to the TCB band playing it.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Fonzie wrote:re: "Something" -- the only fair performance comparison would be Elvis' Aloha version to the Beatles live version.
It just never stops ...

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Liverbobs »

Mccartney WAS great at producing catchy songs. All of the things people say he is great as is in the past tense. He used to be good at what he did. Good singing wasn't one of them.[/quote]

Listen to the Beatles version of "Long Tall Sally" and then tell me McCartney couldn't sing, Lennon's versions of "Rock and Roll Music" & "Twist & Shout" are awesome vocal performances, I believe that after '66 Lennon always double tracked his vocals whenever he could, but it doesn't take away the fact that they could BOTH sing.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

drjohncarpenter

Liverbobs wrote:Listen to the Beatles version of "Long Tall Sally" and then tell me McCartney couldn't sing, Lennon's versions of "Rock and Roll Music" & "Twist & Shout" are awesome vocal performances, I believe that after '66 Lennon always double tracked his vocals whenever he could, but it doesn't take away the fact that they could BOTH sing.
Those are indeed incredible rock vocals, from two of the best singers in the history of the music. And, lucky us, they were in the same band.

Lennon's vocal on "Money" still burns, over 40 years after it was made.

Both John and Paul double-tracked their vocals as soon as technology allowed (1963), not for lack of vocal power, but for the unique effect it gave the recording. Soon, everyone was doing the same.

In the spring of 1966 this somewhat laborious process was revolutionized by one of the Beatles' engineers, who -- at John's request -- perfected ADT (artificial double tracking), or "flanging," as John later called it. They could cut their vocal once, and then run it through ADT. It's still in use today, and it's still called "flanging."

Yet another innovation courtesy of the Beatles.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Thanks for bringing yet more clarity to this thread, Doc. It might go unappreciated by the hatemongerers, but it doesn't go unappreciated by me.

drjohncarpenter

Cryogenic wrote:Thanks for bringing yet more clarity to this thread, Doc. It might go unappreciated by the hatemongerers, but it doesn't go unappreciated by me.
Your words are appreciated as well!

Trust the doc!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Liverbobs

Post by Liverbobs »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:Listen to the Beatles version of "Long Tall Sally" and then tell me McCartney couldn't sing, Lennon's versions of "Rock and Roll Music" & "Twist & Shout" are awesome vocal performances, I believe that after '66 Lennon always double tracked his vocals whenever he could, but it doesn't take away the fact that they could BOTH sing.
Those are indeed incredible rock vocals, from two of the best singers in the history of the music. And, lucky us, they were in the same band.

Lennon's vocal on "Money" still burns, over 40 years after it was made.

Both John and Paul double-tracked their vocals as soon as technology allowed (1963), not for lack of vocal power, but for the unique effect it gave the recording. Soon, everyone was doing the same.

In the spring of 1966 this somewhat laborious process was revolutionized by one of the Beatles' engineers, who -- at John's request -- perfected ADT (artificial double tracking), or "flanging," as John later called it. They could cut their vocal once, and then run it through ADT. It's still in use today, and it's still called "flanging."

Yet another innovation courtesy of the Beatles.
Thanks for the extra info Doc, I wasn't aware they double tracked as early as '63, & the "flanging" is some more interesting info that I didn't know!

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Melanie
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Melanie »

Greg - I checked out the Japanese site that is the source of the photo you posted to see if there are more of those cool screen captures. Anyway I used Babelfish to translate the complete text and the results never cease to amaze me. You just can't make stuff like this up. LOL Check out the song list.

1 CC rider/jump all light/write
2 eye gutter woman
3 ? me
4 if u ? me
5 fair retail
6 u ? me ?
8 burning ?
9 R&R medley
10 the wander of u
11 blue Hawaii
12 The bridge which is depended on 12 tomorrow
13 ? mind
14 We would like to believe 14 you
15 American the ? ...

or

As for G tonight with feeling of love [Tonight Is So Right For Love]
H the shopping which is utilized [Shoppin' Around]
In I pocket rainbow fullest capacity [Pocketful of Rainbows]
The A desire served [My Wish Came True]
B fireplace foam/home [I'm Coming Home]

Denman
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Denman »

CD King wrote:The Beatles are definately the Greatest and best rock n roll group of all time.
Nope, the Rolling Stones are.

"If this suit weren't too tight."

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:Thanks for bringing yet more clarity to this thread, Doc. It might go unappreciated by the hatemongerers, but it doesn't go unappreciated by me.
Your words are appreciated as well!

Trust the doc!
Even if I don't agree with what both you and Cryogenic say all of the time, you gentleman bring alot to this forum, and that's much appreciated.

Denman

Post by Denman »

My favorite rock vocals from the Beatles from the songs I've heard is John Lennon singing Helter Skelter.

dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by dreambear »

Me2 wrote:
Thomas wrote:Why always compare everything to the Beatles?

Paul McCartney is a brilliant composer, performing the songs he creates in his own, unique style. Elvis was an Entertainer, singing more spectacular versions of songs that were already there.

And by the way, "Something" was written by George Harrison.. :roll:
Mccartney WAS great at producing catchy songs. All of the things people say he is great as is in the past tense. He used to be good at what he did. Good singing wasn't one of them.
My last words in this stupid argue. 1) McCartney is still producing some good work. "Chaos and creation in the backyard" is really good. 2) Paul recorded the extremely raw "I´m down" and the tender "Yesterday" the same evening in 1965. Very few artists has that flexibilty when it comes to singing.

//Björn

JYM
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by JYM »

Ok...

I have to admit that nobody here understand how to compare singing abilities.

The Beatles sang all by the throat! All the time.

They were average singers. It is not a fault because the majority of pop singers sing by the throat. You can have good results in studio and with a microphone.

Everybody know the story of McCartney who had to go out yelling in order to scrap HIS THROAT to finish Hey Jude I think. Maybe it was Lennon for Twist and shout, I don't remember...

Did Elvis had to do this in 1968? During the TV special he sang from the throat and sang to the mask or the nose and passed from one to another like he wanted. This man as an uneducated singer was a GENIUS.

PLEASE!

JYM

Post by JYM »

In Aloha, Elvis sang to often from the nose and that explain the results on Something and Hound Dog for examples.

JYM

Post by JYM »

Guys, to me what I feel from reading the posts regarding Elvis voice compared to the mops is like if someone watch TTWII SE with me and say: Elvis was fat!

Geeeezzz

This is very bad cause I can't do nothing for it...

Liverbobs

Post by Liverbobs »

Denman wrote:My favorite rock vocals from the Beatles from the songs I've heard is John Lennon singing Helter Skelter.
Err.....That was Paul...! :wink:

ronnyg

Post by ronnyg »

Paul sang Helter Skelter. Originally it was a 25 minute song edited to about 4 for the White Album. It's Ringo who shouts, "I've got blisters on my fingers!" at the end. Paul sang this last year at the Grammys. He did an excellent version, especially when considering he was 63 last year.

He did a terrific rockabilly song called Name and Address on his London Town album from 1978. He said he wrote this for Elvis to do but Elvis died before hearing it.

Denman

Post by Denman »

Liverbobs wrote:
Denman wrote:My favorite rock vocals from the Beatles from the songs I've heard is John Lennon singing Helter Skelter.
Err.....That was Paul...! :wink:
Really? Sorry, I was always told it was John. Thought so myself. :lol:

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

JYM wrote:Ok...

...the majority of pop singers sing by the throat.

Did Elvis had to do this in 1968? During the TV special he sang from the throat...

:lol: :lol: That's funny stuff. Hey, it doesn't matter one iota to me if an artist sings "by the throat," elbow, knee or ass. I listen by the ear, and the Beatles were all fine vocalists.

drjohncarpenter

Joe Car wrote:Even if I don't agree with what both you and Cryogenic say all of the time, you gentleman bring alot to this forum, and that's much appreciated.
Joe, thank you for being so kind.
Man, you really know your stuff ...

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Me2

Post by Me2 »

KHoots wrote:
JYM wrote:Ok...

...the majority of pop singers sing by the throat.

Did Elvis had to do this in 1968? During the TV special he sang from the throat...

:lol: :lol: That's funny stuff. Hey, it doesn't matter one iota to me if an artist sings "by the throat," elbow, knee or ass. I listen by the ear, and the Beatles were all fine vocalists.

Then we have very different ideas about what a "fine vocalist" is. "Fine" isn't even really a compliment is it?

Fonzie

Post by Fonzie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Wow- that sucking-up sucking sound could be heard all way across the hemishpere.

BTW, what do the Beatles have to do with ALOHA

:?: :!:

Another ELVIS THREAD ruined.

But I maintain that Harrison's Live 1970s "Something" pales in comparison to the "Something" by Elvis & TCB Band

Trust The Fonz
Last edited by Fonzie on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Fonzie wrote:what the flying f--- rat's ass does The Beatles have to do with ALOHA

:?: :!:

Another ELVIS THREAD ruined.
Hey Fonz,
Aggravating isn't it?