Aloha Concerts--Questions??

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Aloha set list

Post by ColinB »

tsc4280 wrote:Let's don't forget that our boy Elvis picked the list of songs he wanted to sing.....Personally, I think he should have added more recent hits, like "In the Ghetto", "Don't Cry Daddy"....
He couldn't win, really.

We didn't get the broadcast in the UK for ages.

I knew someone [a non-fan] who had seen it in Australia, and she said:

"It wasn't too good. He sang some songs we didn't even know !"

Ah, well.................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

JYM
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by JYM »

drjohncarpenter wrote:The 1968 TV Special's success can ultimately be credited to one person: Elvis Presley. He made the greatest music of his life in the course of taping the show, and Elvis would be nothing if not for the songs he sang, in the time he made it.
Well said Doc.

JYM
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by JYM »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
carolynlm wrote:Elvis did make the 68 Special his own, that's very true, but he had a lot of help from the producers ...
I don't recall Bob Finkel or Steve Binder singing a single note -- or playing any instrument -- at any live or studio session done for the 1968 NBC-TV Special.

Without said singing and playing, as done in earth-shattering fashion by Elvis, we would not have anything to discuss in 2006.
Nice comments Doc. I agree 100%. This applies to the Beatles who had to deal with producers but ultimately, they are the reason of the success.

sam

Post by sam »

No Doc I don't follow you around...Unfortunately your just there all the time.
I wish it wasn't so.And I would be very happy if you wouldn't respond to any of my posts either.
You know how to ruin a thread with your pettiness!!! :P

8)

sam

Post by sam »

carolynlm wrote:
JYM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
carolynlm wrote:Elvis did make the 68 Special his own, that's very true, but he had a lot of help from the producers ...
I don't recall Bob Finkel or Steve Binder singing a single note -- or playing any instrument -- at any live or studio session done for the 1968 NBC-TV Special.

Without said singing and playing, as done in earth-shattering fashion by Elvis, we would not have anything to discuss in 2006.
Nice comments Doc. I agree 100%. This applies to the Beatles who had to deal with producers but ultimately, they are the reason of the success.
Come on people....are you saying that Elvis didn't need the producer or director the '68 Special? That is ridiculous.....Having these people around meant that Elvis could concentrate on the music and nothing else. Elvis listened to Binder and for once (that we know of) stood up to tom parker.....without Binder, would we have had the sit down shows in that particular format? I don't think so....as I said, it was normal for Elvis to sit down with a few mates and jam...nothing special to him, but Binder saw something there that would ultimately appeal to an audience, and he was right.
Carolyn seems you are even more knowledgable than the so called experts here.

I thought most would know without Binder it would be Elvis standing there singing Christmas songs for the hour!!!! :shock:

sam

Post by sam »

carolynlm wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He's getting nasty coz he knows he's totally wrong here!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And there's no way he will admit it!!!LOL

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

I think the reality lies somewhere in the middle. The producer wears many hats, one of which is drawing out the talent of those with whom he is working. He or she is responsible to get the most out of the people involved, and Steve Binder did that because he wouldn't settle for anything less.

Elvis was fabulous during the '68 Special--never was he better, in my opinion. But it took a lot of prodding to wrestle what we saw out of Elvis, who, prior to the taping, was very unsure that anyone would still accept him. I believe Steve Binder's biggest contribution to the show was making Elvis believe in himself again. Once he did that, it was all Elvis.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Good point, it is somewhere "in the middle." Some of the best producers, then and now, such as Rick Rubin (who's produced everything from landmark Hip-Hop acts to Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond) know that you should help an artist by helping them get back to their roots. This is, in a way, a road towards stripping away received artistic pretensions and insecurities, when in reality, everything you did at the start was just right.

'68 had a lot of that. As iconic and historic as ALOHA was (and I do personally love it), I'm struck how much of an ending it was, as opposed to '68, which gave birth to the '69 Memphis sessions (and other meaningful recording), his triumphant return to Vegas and touring in general.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

sam

Post by sam »

KHoots wrote:I think the reality lies somewhere in the middle. The producer wears many hats, one of which is drawing out the talent of those with whom he is working. He or she is responsible to get the most out of the people involved, and Steve Binder did that because he wouldn't settle for anything less.

Elvis was fabulous during the '68 Special--never was he better, in my opinion. But it took a lot of prodding to wrestle what we saw out of Elvis, who, prior to the taping, was very unsure that anyone would still accept him. I believe Steve Binder's biggest contribution to the show was making Elvis believe in himself again. Once he did that, it was all Elvis.
Good points...spot on IMO

And yes Greg, I love both shows but the '68 special was the start of something big. !!!

:D

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

carolynlm wrote:
JYM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Come on people....are you saying that Elvis didn't need the producer or director the '68 Special? That is ridiculous.....Having these people around meant that Elvis could concentrate on the music and nothing else. Elvis listened to Binder and for once (that we know of) stood up to tom parker.....without Binder, would we have had the sit down shows in that particular format? I don't think so....as I said, it was normal for Elvis to sit down with a few mates and jam...nothing special to him, but Binder saw something there that would ultimately appeal to an audience, and he was right.
I agree. If it wasn't for Binder....NON COMEBACK! NO "IF I CAN DREAM"... Binder gave Elvis almost a kick in the rear to get out to perform...then and only then did Elvis let loose (good crowd reaction) after being scared shitless.

Erhan
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Erhan »

JLGB wrote:
carolynlm wrote:
JYM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I agree. If it wasn't for Binder....NON COMEBACK! NO "IF I CAN DREAM"... Binder gave Elvis almost a kick in the rear to get out to perform...then and only then did Elvis let loose (good crowd reaction) after being scared shitless.
Sitdown shows could be unforgettable without Alan Fortas and Charlie Hodge. Steve Binder must have ask elvis who is those anouying guys. Alan Fortas had no rhythm feeling he spoil the all sound Fontana try to warn him several times but Binder must have kick his big ass out the sessions. and Charlie annoy me with his artificial laughs.

There are same main mistakes in aloha show 1-place hawaii is not the right place for time zone and the there is no excitement in audiance NY MSG was best place for that event.

Erhan

YOUTUBE
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Erhan wrote:...Sitdown shows could be unforgettable without Alan Fortas and Charlie Hodge...Alan Fortas had no rhythm feeling he spoil the all sound Fontana try to warn him several times but Binder must have kick his big ass out the sessions...and Charlie annoy me with his artificial laughs...
But remember, especially in Charlie's case, the guys provided Elvis a huge security blanket. Did they contribute musically? No, but Elvis felt more comfortable having them there, and it's impossible to gauge how important that was. Their "job" was to help Elvis bring out of himself exactly what we saw. If that meant forced laughter at a joke(s) already been told, so be it. Binder gets a lot of credit for having the vision and foresight to understand that.

And, I believe the sitdown shows already are unforgettable. :D

Scatter
Registered for: 20 years

Post by Scatter »

Great points as always Hoots........the 68 Special was indeed a beginning, and Aloha the closing.......sadly so. But a great final chapter anyway.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Scatter wrote:Great points as always Hoots........the 68 Special was indeed a beginning, and Aloha the closing.......sadly so.
But a great final chapter anyway.
Not the final chapter !

Penultimate, maybe.

Colin B

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

KHoots wrote:
Erhan wrote:...Sitdown shows could be unforgettable without Alan Fortas and Charlie Hodge...Alan Fortas had no rhythm feeling he spoil the all sound Fontana try to warn him several times but Binder must have kick his big ass out the sessions...and Charlie annoy me with his artificial laughs...
But remember, especially in Charlie's case, the guys provided Elvis a huge security blanket. Did they contribute musically? No, but Elvis felt more comfortable having them there, and it's impossible to gauge how important that was. Their "job" was to help Elvis bring out of himself exactly what we saw. If that meant forced laughter at a joke(s) already been told, so be it. Binder gets a lot of credit for having the vision and foresight to understand that.

And, I believe the sitdown shows already are unforgettable. :D

Khoots, some solid points. Who's hasn't hung out with friends and tell stories from years past, even we've heard them countless times. That's the comfort level these guys provided for Elvis, especially Charlie.

Scatter
Registered for: 20 years

Post by Scatter »

ColinB wrote:
Scatter wrote:Great points as always Hoots........the 68 Special was indeed a beginning, and Aloha the closing.......sadly so.
Not the final chapter !

Penultimate, maybe.
Right you are, Colin!!!!!But can we as a group of hardcore fans at least agree it was great??? Amazingly, it seems not.......

sam

Post by sam »

Scatter wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Not the final chapter !

Penultimate, maybe.
Right you are, Colin!!!!!But can we as a group of hardcore fans at least agree it was great??? Amazingly, it seems not.......
It was great!!! :D

:wink:

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Scatter wrote:Right you are, Colin!!!!!But can we as a group of hardcore fans at least agree it was great???
Amazingly, it seems not.......
The period 68-73 ?

It was great !

Then the slow decline started.

Colin B

Erhan
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Erhan »

>But remember, especially in Charlie's case, the guys provided Elvis a >huge security blanket.

No he couldn't Elvis provided Charlie a huge securety blanket but no one need to that kind of securety.

>Did they contribute musically? No, but Elvis felt more comfortable >having them there, and it's impossible to gauge how important that was. >Their "job" was to help Elvis bring out of himself exactly what we saw. If >that meant forced laughter at a joke(s) already been told, so be it. >Binder gets a lot of credit for having the vision and foresight to >understand that.

Scotty And DJ was enough for Elvis about fell comfortable they had been together for a long time (12, 14year at that time)

>And, I believe the sitdown shows already are unforgettable. :D[/quote]

I mean even more unforgettable for many more people

They made the sound muddy.
Binder had to record the sessions multy track stereo.

Erhan

YOUTUBE
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Aloha Concerts--Questions??

Post by jurasic1968 »

Instead of Something, Love Me, Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes, Fever, Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, Johnny B. Goode, I Can't Stop Loving You ( most of all released in the previous LP's and films) what about other songs like It's Now or Never, Surrender, Little Sister, His Latest Flame, Return to Sender, Crying in the Chapel, Love Letters, Devil in Disguise, I'm Leavin' ?. These songs Elvis fans around the world never saw either on TV or documentary movies. Some of them were never sung live by Elvis in the period 1969-1972. And sorry, but Marty Pasetta's idea for Elvis to record after the show 4 tracks of Blue Hawaii (plus Early Mornin' Rain-the only new song which not belonged to Blue Hawaii soundtrack) looks to me completely uninspired. So I'm sorry but it could have been a better concert with more songs from Elvis's catalogue that I mentioned above.