All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:24 am

SWAMP FOX -

So which one are you? RACIST or BIGOT?

Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:29 am

Dear Georgie,

Who's the c*cksucker with a little Samurai peter? HA!

Was Elvis a racist Doc?!! I guess only the strong survive....

Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:52 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:Dear Georgie,

Who's the c*cksucker with a little Samurai peter? HA!

Was Elvis a racist Doc?!! I guess only the strong survive....

No, he wasn't. And you're obviously not very intelligent.

A private mimicry of an obscure, poor taste "comedy" LP bit, said without knowledge of being recorded or any idea of it EVER being heard by anyone outside the room is TOTALLY different from an, unsolicited overtly bigoted comment on a <u>public</u> MB.

That's your brain tease for today! Go back to your comic books now.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:46 am

What may be offensive could depend upon context

In NZ a common expression would be "I have a Jap car" - this is not offensive but to call or refer to a person as a Jap would be - in fact no one does anymore.

So in NZ it would be quite acceptable to say "I want a Jap CD"

'Tis a strange world.
Calling a person a Jap is out - but
An Aussie is happy to be an Aussie.
A Swede would never object to his being.
Likewise a Brit is ok.
The Turks won't go to war over name calling.
A Malay is happy to live in Malaya
But to be a Chinaman is becoming a no no.

The derogatory aspect of Jap possibly stems from the gung-ho John Wayne type action movies dating back to World War Two.
In a similar way Indian thanks largely to Hollywood the term Red Indiangave way to that contrived ugly phrase Native American.

We are fortunate in New Zealand to have evolved two words which cover most situations. A native New Zealander is a Maori all others are Pakehas.
That's Pa-key-ha's.

When Captain Cook with a Tahitian translator asked the NZ natives "what do you call yourselves" He misunderstood the natives reply "We are just ordinary people - not chiefs or Gods" The native word for ordinary was Maori. Thus Maori were spared the generic native or aboriginal tags.

The word Pakeha is, simply put, means stranger in the Maori langu

Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:57 pm

Thank you for your support.

It seems the Aussies and Kiwis are on the ball.

Again, no offense intended to any Japanese.

Lets end it here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:A private mimicry of an obscure, poor taste "comedy" LP bit, said without knowledge of being recorded or any idea of it EVER being heard by anyone outside the room is TOTALLY different from an, unsolicited overtly bigoted comment on a <u>public</u> MB.

That's your brain tease for today! Go back to your comic books now.

For someone who is an "expert," how can you promulgate that Elvis didn't know he was being recorded?

Er, uh, hate to break the news to ya Doc, but while Elvis didn't expect the "dirty version" to be released, he DID know he was being recorded. He was in a recording studio attempting to lay down a master take when he began talking dirty.

Need more proof that you are wrong? This dirty version of "Only the Strong Survive" has a take number. Therefore, the studio engineer would have slated the take number over the talkback mic in the control studio, which Elvis would have heard over his headphones. This was a take--and a take committed to tape. Elvis knew he was being recorded.

BTW, I'm not so sure the fellow who started the thread is "overtly bigoted," as you claim. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

I've seen lots of CDs on eBay which are imported from Japan, yet they are often abbreviated as "Jap" to minimize space occupied by eBay's character subject word title count. Maybe of the author of the thread was just abbreviating? Before you criticize and accuse, walk a mile in his shoes...

Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:48 pm

Elvis didn't know he was being recorded? :lol: Welcome to the "relatively low IQ club" Doc...lmao