Moody Blue Album...only blue?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvis67
Registered for: 18 years

Post by elvis67 »

I'm not really into vinyl but I buy and sell a lot on ebay
What is obvious is that you better be buyer than seller .
I recently sold a duplicate of a 1956 mag 100% elvis for a pathetic 20$ .
I would have spent maybe a 100$, 4 or 5 years ago
4 "strictly elvis generation" mags for 5$ ( they were very sought after not long ago )
The result is that I'm really unable to evaluate my collection.
Do I have to estimate it only according to the ebay prices ?

Post by Guest »

elvis67 wrote:I'm not really into vinyl but I buy and sell a lot on ebay
4 "strictly elvis generation" mags for 5$ ( they were very sought after not long ago )
I totally agree with the fact that Ebay is definatley a buyers market when it comes to Elvis (with maybe the exception of a Japanese friend of ours).
You certainly cannot value a collection on Ebay prices as the sale price of a record changes every day at auction.
Your record collection is worth what it's worth to you.
My father has records in his collection that he would never part with for any sum simply because he has records that would be irreplaceable.

elvis67

Post by elvis67 »

ChrisG- the younger wrote:
elvis67 wrote:I'm not really into vinyl but I buy and sell a lot on ebay

Your record collection is worth what it's worth to you.
yes you're right . My elvis collection is worth what it's worth to me .
But in a way we all wanna know what's valuable or not.....And ebay makes it quite difficult
Anyway thanks to ebay I bought things I would never have dreamed of ..I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw prices while I attented a convention last year in Memphis .....10$ a mag when it doesn't sell for 1 on ebay :lol: better buyer than seller !!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

elvis67 wrote:But in a way we all wanna know what's valuable or not.....And ebay makes it quite difficult
What records do you have that you think are of value (in monetary terms)? PM me if you do not like to say here.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elvis67

Post by elvis67 »

thanks! I've just sent you an pm :wink:

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvislennon »

thechildwithin wrote:elvislennon

So if I understand you correctly the Blue Album #AFL1-2428 is not that valuable. Just the Black vinyl with that number?
I have a few of the Blues with #AFL1-2428.

I know I'm going off the subject a bit. We've talked about promotional copies. I have "Elvis Today" a "Not For Sale" DEMONSTRATION LP. I, also, have some "Not For Sale" promotional 45s. If I'm not misunderstanding here - these would be considered valuable because they weren't available to the public?
I wish I could master posting pictures here.

Thanks for your help and anyone else that replies

Gayle
That is correct.....Black vinyl with AFL1-2428 is worth more than the blue vinyl. Blue Vinyl is common, very very common and it worth that much. If open you only looking at about 5 to 10 at the most, sealed at about 5 dollars more. The second issue of the black vinyl is AQF1-2428 and is worth less than the original black. And about your Not For Sale LPs, if it isn't white label you only looking at about 3 dollars more than the price that is in the price guide book. Now if it is white label NOT FOR SALE lps you got about 10 dollars to more than the price is in a price guide book. 45s is about the same. Oh, and I see on TKC that you ask the same question and curtis simpkins is telling you like I am. I think you might want to trust him and me before anyone else. Even Night Rider said the same thing. That what they are saying is the true history of Moody Blue.

Gregory Nolan Jr. about your comment about the other colors are fakes. No they are not. Their is only a few of these around, the lesser that was made the vaule goes up. The Muliti-color is worth the most. As I said I have a friend who has all the known pressing of Moody Blue. These are harder to find then any other pressing of Moody Blue. Oh, any way if they are fakes then they wouldn't be in a price guide or at least a price guide that knows there stuff.

Topic author
Gayle

Post by Gayle »

I agree with ya'll about the ebay thing. Just recently have I ever looked at the prices of any Elvis items. I was really surprised at how cheap some are.

elvislennon, you said something in your post about the "Not For Sale" records. You mention about white labels. I don't know quite what you mean by that. Maybe you could help me out.

dreambear writes about what country albums might be pressed in. I'm totally clueless about all of this, as you might have figured out. Do these other countries deal with RCA in pressing the albums? I wonder if there happens to be such an album for sale, let's say on ebay that was pressed in another country. Should you look out and avoid them because they're not "authentic" so to speak? Only knowing what I know from being around the music business when I was a kid I just figured if my Dad sang in Nashville, for instance, the company in nashville would press the music because they have their hands on the masters.

Thanks ya'll

Gayle

Post by Guest »

elvislennon wrote:
That is correct.....Black vinyl with AFL1-2428 is worth more than the blue vinyl. Blue Vinyl is common, very very common and it worth that much. If open you only looking at about 5 to 10 at the most, sealed at about 5 dollars more. The second issue of the black vinyl is AQF1-2428 and is worth less than the original black. And about your Not For Sale LPs, if it isn't white label you only looking at about 3 dollars more than the price that is in the price guide book. Now if it is white label NOT FOR SALE lps you got about 10 dollars to more than the price is in a price guide book. 45s is about the same. Oh, and I see on TKC that you ask the same question and curtis simpkins is telling you like I am. I think you might want to trust him and me before anyone else. Even Night Rider said the same thing. That what they are saying is the true history of Moody Blue.

Gregory Nolan Jr. about your comment about the other colors are fakes. No they are not. Their is only a few of these around, the lesser that was made the vaule goes up. The Muliti-color is worth the most. As I said I have a friend who has all the known pressing of Moody Blue. These are harder to find then any other pressing of Moody Blue. Oh, any way if they are fakes then they wouldn't be in a price guide or at least a price guide that knows there stuff.
Sorry, who are you?
When quoting price guides please remember they are just that. A guide.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ekenee »

You'all are not using ebay for the tool that it is. I dare you to go on there and pick out a specific record and watch that record, over and over, maybe 10 times. Check the ending bids. Then average out those bids. This gives you an idea of what it is worth.
Also you'all are not taking into consideration
the variables in each auction.
You can't just say, " it sold for $100 one day and the next it sold for $25.
Did you read the condition of the record?
Did you check the condition of the cover?
Did you check the rating of the seller?

Bottom line: I have sold over 500 records on ebay and the prices I got were very consistent and everything I expected I would get for what I was selling. I have been collecting records for over 30 years, so I know a little about the record collecting market before and after ebay.

I just checked the ending auctions on ebay and there were over 40 listed just this month of the LP moody blue.

If you take into consideration over time, ebay, garage sales, collectors shows, record stores, and other online businesses, it is very easy to find the records you want. I have had no trouble at all.

Another important thing for the buyer. Do your research!!

Rob

Post by Rob »

Scatter wrote:
Rob wrote:
Scatter wrote:Yes, MB was pressed in blue, black, and I believe red.
Blue and black, yes. I have never seen or heard of a red one though.
Read the whole thread Rob.........the other colors are pictured. I know how much you like threads with pictures........ :lol: :wink:
Let me rephrase my statement for those who may be just a teenie bit challenged.

I have never seen or heard of a red one until this thread.

And yes, for your information, I do like pictures.

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvislennon »

ChrisG- the younger wrote:
elvislennon wrote:

Sorry, who are you?
When quoting price guides please remember they are just that. A guide.

First off, I am Kelly Hensley being dealing with Records for about 15 years. Next, I have many people who bought Moody Blue when it first came out and they said it was the black vinyl that came out first. When Elvis died it was remade and made into blue. Why do you think Black vinyl is worth more than the blue, that has the same number AFL1-2428?
I have friends who owns record shops and they will say the same thing.
Second pressing of black vinyl isn't worth alot. So I go by different sources and not just by guides. I think even drjohncarpenter might agree that the original Moody Blue was black vinyl and not blue.

Post by Guest »

ekenee wrote:You'all are not using ebay for the tool that it is. I dare you to go on there and pick out a specific record and watch that record, over and over, maybe 10 times. Check the ending bids. Then average out those bids. This gives you an idea of what it is worth.
Also you'all are not taking into consideration
the variables in each auction.
You can't just say, " it sold for $100 one day and the next it sold for $25.
Did you read the condition of the record?
Did you check the condition of the cover?
Did you check the rating of the seller?

Bottom line: I have sold over 500 records on ebay and the prices I got were very consistent and everything I expected I would get for what I was selling. I have been collecting records for over 30 years, so I know a little about the record collecting market before and after ebay.

I just checked the ending auctions on ebay and there were over 40 listed just this month of the LP moody blue.

If you take into consideration over time, ebay, garage sales, collectors shows, record stores, and other online businesses, it is very easy to find the records you want. I have had no trouble at all.

Another important thing for the buyer. Do your research!!

Who are you talking to?

I hope it's not me. If it is then do your research!!
Have a look through one of the FTD Soundtrack/ Classic Album booklets one day.

Bottom line: 500 Records? One a week for ten years?, big deal!

We do the UK Record Collector price guide for the Elvis section so don't patronise me by asking wether or not record conditions were noted.
If memory serves me correctly it was Carlos & Toru who had them (wouldn't say 100% without checking, whoever it was they were both friends of our's) so no, I did not need to check rating's.

The record I was talking about is a pretty tough record (I won't go into the variations on it as I do not want to confuse the matter) & I was using it as an example of my opinion of Ebay's stability for final prices.

You think it's "very easy" getting any record you want?

Here's a challenge for you then big boy. Find EPA-4325 with the alternate shot of Elvis for sale.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

ChrisGthe younger wrote:

I hope it's not me. Yes its you. If it is then do your research!!
Have a look through one of the FTD Soundtrack/ Classic Album booklets one day. I have.[/b] But specifically what did you want me to read in these booklets?

Where did you get one a week for 10 years? I sold them over a 2 year period on ebay.
And my point was if you care to read, not once in 500 times did I get an outragious price on ebay for my records. I point this out because too many are pointing out flukes. You can't go by flukes.
If 100 albums of one title sell for $10 each but one sell for $50, you can't say the record is worth $50.

We do the UK Record Collector price guide for the Elvis section so don't patronise me by asking wether or not record conditions were noted.
That statement was meant for "you'all" , not you personally here.
And there was no patronising.

If memory serves me correctly it was Carlos & Toru who had them (wouldn't say 100% without checking, whoever it was they were both friends of our's) so no, I did not need to check rating's.

The record I was talking about is a pretty tough record (I won't go into the variations on it as I do not want to confuse the matter) & I was using it as an example of my opinion of Ebay's stability for final prices.

It has been for me.

Here's a challenge for you then big boy. Find EPA-4325 with the alternate shot of Elvis for sale.

Big boy, that isn't a record I want. Again you need to pay attention to what I am writing before you respond. And besides I am speaking generally, not some obscure item.

Another quick note there sparky, The market in the UK, is totally different than that in the USA.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by ritchie valens »

i don't drink. the german release i have is on black vinyl the label is orange too. like the 1968-1974 us releases were.

Post by Guest »

ekenee wrote:ChrisGthe younger wrote:

I hope it's not me. Yes its you. If it is then do your research!!
Have a look through one of the FTD Soundtrack/ Classic Album booklets one day. I have.[/b] But specifically what did you want me to read in these booklets?

The acknowledgment part about where they get the records/ merchandise to show in the booklets.

Where did you get one a week for 10 years? I sold them over a 2 year period on ebay.
And my point was if you care to read, not once in 500 times did I get an outragious price on ebay for my records. I point this out because too many are pointing out flukes. You can't go by flukes.
If 100 albums of one title sell for $10 each but one sell for $50, you can't say the record is worth $50.

I neither have the time nor inclination to spend two years of my life selling $10 records on Ebay so thank you for providing the world with this invaluable service.

That statement was meant for "you'all" , not you personally here.
And there was no patronising.

It has been for me.

I'm sure finding the sort of records you collect is very easy. I don't suppose for one moment you lost any sleep freting over that elusive Canadian Tribute Album

Big boy, that isn't a record I want. Again you need to pay attention to what I am writing before you respond. And besides I am speaking generally, not some obscure item.

Another quick note there sparky, The market in the UK, is totally different than that in the USA.

Do you even know what EP (that means extended play) i'm talking about? Probably not, it wasn't a 70's release.

Are the UK & US markets different? WOW.... I never knew that, thank you.

Ok you win, your knowledge of selling $10 records on Ebay is far greater than mine
:roll:

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Spellbinder »

Jay33 wrote:Trust me

Huh?

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

ChrisGthe younger Quote:

Do you even know what EP (that means extended play) i'm talking about? Probably not, it wasn't a 70's release.

Are the UK & US markets different? WOW.... I never knew that, thank you.

Ok you win, your knowledge of selling $10 records on Ebay is far greater than mine.

What is your problem? I didn't realize I was dealing with a know-it-all.
First you spout off about something totally general, then I come back with a general response, then I come to find out you were spouting, but thinking of something very specific. I still have no real clue why your angry.

Advice of the day--Get off of your high horse.

You have twisted several times, what I wrote earlier because of your poor comprehension skills, I hope what I am writing here is simple enough for you. I will try to get straight to the point. OK. I don't want to have to correct you again.

I collected records for over 30 years.
I didn't collect imports, so my knowledge is generally USA issues.
And not just 1970's as you suggested.
In the 70's I did collect records from the 50's.
I no longer collect vintage vinyl. I sold most of it. I am out of it.

As you know, this thread started out about a very common record, so I had no idea that you were using everything quoted, as a comparison to very rare records. That makes no sense in and of it self.
I was using ebay as a guide to check the value of common records such as moody blue. I don't see how you can challenge me on that.
That was my point and that part really wasn't meant for a record scholar such as your self. there are alot of people on here that don't know rare from common records.

If you say ebay is totally useless, then you can't see it for the tool that it is, and that is fine with me.