All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
GIRL HAPPY BOY
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Movie: KING CREOLE , in colour ???

Post by GIRL HAPPY BOY »

Hey friends :D
KING CREOLE is the only one movie of the king that was not released in colour...
Any information about that ? are we gonna be lucky to see this great movie in colour ?
P.S.
i really liked the JAILHOUSE ROCK movie in colour
sincerely
LIOR

KiwiAlan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by KiwiAlan »

No way!

It would destroy the mood.

Wiould be very tacky..I keep seeing it as a Frankie & Johnny in my mind.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Jay33 wrote:I disagree. I think not only would it be more attractive in color but it would generate mass market sales from die hard fans to causual fans to even non fans. It worked for Gone With The Wind so why not?
Yeah, right :!:

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvislennon »

You won't see King Creole Colorized, or that is what I think. It cost to much money to colorized a movie. The movie was never shot in color so it will take a while to go frame by frame to make this movie in color. I know Paramount has start making some movie colorized but I don't think this movie will be in color. Gone With The Wind was filmed in color and is not colorized. At the time of that movie there were only three movie cameras that could use color film. Those same cameras was used for the movie Wizard of Oz as well. Back in that time it cost money to make a movie in color. But when those movies was release they did very good in the theaters so that they made that money right back plus more. So for those who think was colorized look at it again and look at the eyes more. That is the way you can tell it is colorized. The eyes on colorized movies looks alot different than what you see on color movie. Ted Turner is part owner or at least he use too of the company that makes colorized movies. That is why you see Jailhouse Rock in color. He is part owner of the MGM movies. Love Me Tender is another story.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

Maybe if they release "clambake", "harum Scarum",
"Paradise Haw. style", and "tickle me" in Black and white, they will suddenly get noticed by critics worldwide as looked-over treasures.
:wink:
Last edited by ekenee on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bajo

Post by bajo »

I haven't seen the colorized version of Jailhouse Rock. But, when you look at Loving You, one can easily see how much more impact both Jailhouse Rock and King Creole would do if presented in colour.
The music from both those movies are classic Elvis.
If you prefer black and white you still have your jewels for keeps. I'm sure colour would bring new life to these movies!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

ekenee wrote:Maybe if they release "clambake", "harum Scarum",
"Paradise Haw. style", and "tickle me" in Black and white, they will suddenly get noticed by critics worldwide as looked-over treasures.
:wink:
You got it. Right on :D

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Axeman »

I only saw a bit of Jailhouse Rock in color in Memphis one year (on TV in the hotel room)...but I remember thinking I'd enjoy it more if the color looked less fake...nowadays I bet they have better technology to colorize films. And I'd buy them, if just to watch once or twice before returning to the regular B&W versions of all three movies.

Axe

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by likethebike »

So much of "King Creole's" power comes from the B/X photography and lighting. The scene where Elvis shows Nellie his parents house is one of many that would be ruined if it were in color.

"Loving You" works in color because it is a radically different movie than "King Creole". "King Creole" is a film noir. Morally ambiguous hero, grimy underworld milieu, prostitute love interest. It's subject matter is dark and filming it in black and white was the absolute right choice.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

likethebike wrote:So much of "King Creole's" power comes from the B/X photography and lighting. The scene where Elvis shows Nellie his parents house is one of many that would be ruined if it were in color.

"Loving You" works in color because it is a radically different movie than "King Creole". "King Creole" is a film noir. Morally ambiguous hero, grimy underworld milieu, prostitute love interest. It's subject matter is dark and filming it in black and white was the absolute right choice.
Kind of reminds me about the great movie the Hustler starring Jackie Gleason, Paul Newman and George C. Scott, being filmed in black and white was absolutely perfect given the storyline, of course the stellar cast didn't hurt either.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

no way.jailhouse rock was ok but i always watch it in black & white.i agree king creole in black & white gives it power and mood its pure 50s .there is somethings you cant touch king creole is one.

Roddy
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Roddy »

And what about "love me tender"?? Is there a colourized version of this? Does anyone have a print screen to send me?? I'm very curios about this stuff, once we don't have this in Brazil...

I'm not against a colourized version of King Creole, but i think that this is not a priority!!

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

likethebike wrote:....Morally ambiguous hero, grimy underworld milieu, prostitute love interest....
All these things are in colour in the real world !

Even prostitutes [so I'm told].

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

ColinB wrote:
likethebike wrote:....Morally ambiguous hero, grimy underworld milieu, prostitute love interest....

Don't worry Colin, you're secret is safe with me. :wink:

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Joe Car wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Don't worry Colin, you're secret is safe with me. :wink:
What...... that I don't know what a 'milieu' is ?

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Elton »

It would be nice to see what King Creole would look in color, then you could have both.worlds. While i agree with most all members here on the b&w issue, it's always great to have a choice!! :D

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

[quote="Roddy"]And what about "love me tender"?? Is there a colourized version of this? Does anyone have a print screen to send me?? I'm very curios about this stuff, once we don't have this in Brazil...

I'm not against a colourized version of King Creole, but i think that this is not a priority!![/quote]

Yes, there is a colorized version of Love Me Tender. It was done by a japanese company. The only thing is when it was release they got sued by Fox for Colorizing the movie without their permission. It was shown only four times here in America without the subtitles. It is release on the bootleg market but you will find that it is in Widescreen which that isn't a problem for me but the problem I have it is subtitled in Japanese. Here is a link to download the last part in color.
This is in full screen so there is a version out their that is in Full Screen.

For those who hasn't seen Jailhouse Rock in color here is the song from that version.

You can buy Jailhouse Rock the Colorized Version from FYE, if there is one near you. Where I am at there is a FYE a few miles from me and they have a lot of copies of this.

Link removed by the Admin....never link that site here..we don't need that crap.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

i think love me tender worked very well in colour.i watch the colour one more than the black& white i think it works because its a western and not a 50s rocknroll movie.

Sean Ryan
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Sean Ryan »

I dont see why they cant do King Creole in colour.

I think it would look great.Anyway, we have the B&W copy of it so all the people who like the B&W version they will remain happy.

It also doesnt cost as much now to colorize a film like it did a few years ago.

If your looking for trouble, you will end up hurt.

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

[quote="Sean Ryan"]I dont see why they cant do King Creole in colour.

I think it would look great.Anyway, we have the B&W copy of it so all the people who like the B&W version they will remain happy.

It also doesnt cost as much now to colorize a film like it did a few years ago.[/quote]

Yes, it does you just don't realize it how much. It cost more money to make it in color than making a movie in Full Screen. That will be in the millions of dollars. I know I study stuff like this....... :P

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

Colin- I was just using those items to align the movie with film noir a style that is primarily done in black and white. Movies don't have to be an absolute representation of real life every single time out. Use of the b/w photography creates a certain sense of mood that you can't get otherwise and with this type of subject it matter it works well and it looks good. "King Creole" a Paramount Hal Wallis picture, the same producer studio that made "Loving You", is in black and white on purpose not for happenstance or budgetary reasons.

One of the problems of modern life is that technology has made us particularly in the US so insular. We won't step out of shells even in the most insignificant and minor ways. Many fans just absolutely refuse to come to a piece unless it's absolutely familiar.

Sean Ryan
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Sean Ryan »

elvislennon wrote:
Sean Ryan wrote:I dont see why they cant do King Creole in colour.

It also doesnt cost as much now to colorize a film like it did a few years ago.

Yes, it does you just don't realize it how much. It cost more money to make it in color than making a movie in Full Screen. That will be in the millions of dollars. I know I study stuff like this....... :P
If it cost so much then i dont understand why Love Me Tender-colour version isnt out on DVD for the 50th anniversary.

If your looking for trouble, you will end up hurt.

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

likethebike wrote:Colin- I was just using those items to align the movie with film noir a style that is primarily done in black and white. Movies don't have to be an absolute representation of real life every single time out. Use of the b/w photography creates a certain sense of mood that you can't get otherwise and with this type of subject it matter it works well and it looks good. "King Creole" a Paramount Hal Wallis picture, the same producer studio that made "Loving You", is in black and white on purpose not for happenstance or budgetary reasons.

One of the problems of modern life is that technology has made us particularly in the US so insular. We won't step out of shells even in the most insignificant and minor ways. Many fans just absolutely refuse to come to a piece unless it's absolutely familiar.

That is true about what you say of B/W films. Some movies that are filmed in B/W does create a sense of mood. Some films should be left alone and keep it B/W. King Creole is such a movie that doesn't deserve to be treated as a color movie. The movie would look weird and will take away that mood away.

Man @ The Speed Of Light

Post by Man @ The Speed Of Light »

From the King Creole screenplay:

205. EXT. SIDEWALK - CLOSE SHOT - Danny's walking toward CAMERA.

206. CLOSE SHOT - DANNY

His face becomes a rainbow. He stares at his father.

rainbow?

Why would it say that unless they intended to shoot in color.

:!: