Bush To Go To Graceland

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

KHoots
Registered for: 21 years

Post by KHoots »

Joe Car wrote:Can't we just leave the politics out of this and enjoy the moment. I'm sure Elvis would have been deeply humbled, the most powerful man in the world and the Japanese Prime Minister coming to his home.
Yup. Regardless of what side of the political spectrum one is on, it's a tremendous honor to have the leader(s) of any country visit Graceland. Let's try and leave it at that. Please???? :D

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

I don't know about the current resident of the White House, but George Herbert Walker Bush was no Elvis fan. Yes, they both attended the J.C.'s award banquet; however, Bush refused to shake hands with Elvis according to Marty Lacker. Also, during Bush's losing campaign to Clinton, he constantly derided Elvis comparing Clinton to Elvis. Come to think of it, maybe it was a compliment.

Mystery Train

Old Shep
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Old Shep »

[quote="Marko"][quote="Elvis' Babe"]bush is an elvis fan as well...and his father even met elvis at the jaycees![/quote]

George Bush senior certainly is not an Elvis fan and I seriously doubt that junior is either.[/quote]

When he started out, he couldn´t spell Tennessee... and never changed it! :smt040

O.S.

drghanem
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by drghanem »

Luuuurveee your avatar Larry Dickman, featuring the toughest, coolest and most masculine actor Hollywood has ever known.

"I´m limp as a rag, worn out when a show´s over". Elvis in Tacoma, fall 1957.
Long, Lonely Highway, by Ger Rijff (Tutti Frutti productions, 1985)

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

MysteryTrain wrote:...George Herbert Walker Bush was no Elvis fan. Yes, they both attended the J.C.'s award banquet; however, Bush refused to shake hands with Elvis according to Marty Lacker...
I find it difficult to believe that Bush would refuse to shake Elvis's hand. What reason would he have to do that? It is more likely that Marty doesn't like Bush, and crafted the story to fit his needs. As much as I like Marty, and enjoy listening to his stories, he is no stranger to embellishment.

jbgude
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by jbgude »

I just hope the Leno/Letterman crowd dont' start joking about Potus and the King - it could be just too tempting a target. :roll:

Bush snr. was no Elvis fan, a fact that Clinton specifically mentioned during his campaigning for the Presidency as a plus point in his favour-being an Elvis fan - he even played "Heartbreak Hotel" on his saxaphone at some venues/ shows?

Elvis' Babe
Registered for: 20 years
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

KHoots wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:...George Herbert Walker Bush was no Elvis fan. Yes, they both attended the J.C.'s award banquet; however, Bush refused to shake hands with Elvis according to Marty Lacker...
I find it difficult to believe that Bush would refuse to shake Elvis's hand. What reason would he have to do that? It is more likely that Marty doesn't like Bush, and crafted the story to fit his needs. As much as I like Marty, and enjoy listening to his stories, he is no stranger to embellishment.
marty is full of it. i heard that part of the reason bush came to the jaycees that time was partially TO MEET elvis. i heard a very different story. and there's a picture of them SHAKING HANDS.

and laura bush made it quite clear that george h. w. bush WAS an elvis fan as a kid.

and when did y'all start believing marty lacker. oh wait, it's only when you want to.

from what is proven, dubya was an elvis fan (proven with a funny childhood story), bush sr. met elvis...

clinton may be an elvis fan, plays the saxophone with elvis songs and with dan aykroyd (blues brothers), but he can't claim to have ever met elvis, whereas bush sr. HAS. nixon and carter are the only other presidents who can claim that. and clinton was refused when he asked to go into the upstairs of graceland, just like everybody else who isn't priscilla, lisa marie, michael jackson or nicholas cage (who did something very disrespectful).
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

Marty is obviously mistaken.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

I would tend to agree that that is Bush Sr. in the pic shaking hands with Elvis. That got me to thinking I may have misquoted Marty, so I located a discussion about the matter on alt.elvis.king. For those who are interested it is located here:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.elvis.king/browse_thread/thread/6411c7fb163d46d1/6a09239dcecb6255?q=marty+bush+elvis&

Mystery Train

Elvis' Babe
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

marty showed himself to be a genuine jerk over there...and quite the liar too. fans kept disproving his statements.

bush left after giving his speech: LIE
bush refused to shake hands with elvis: LIE

and why would bush sign the photo if he didn't like elvis that much? i think marty is just another liberal a$$ who bends the truth until you shove photographic evidence in his face.

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Elvis' Babe wrote
marty is just another liberal a$$ who bends the truth until you shove photographic evidence in his face.
That would be a nice change from the vast majority of liberal a$$es who continue to bend the truth despite contrary evidence.

Eagle

Elvis' Babe
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

EagleUSA wrote:Elvis' Babe wrote
marty is just another liberal a$$ who bends the truth until you shove photographic evidence in his face.
That would be a nice change from the vast majority of liberal a$$es who continue to bend the truth despite contrary evidence.
i stand corrected. :lol: you're right.

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Marko wrote:Marty is obviously mistaken.

Ah, yes. I should have remembered that picture.......

Joern

Post by Joern »

I'd rather ike to see him resigning than entering Graceland.

He's a man with none sympathies.

Joern

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

The point is that Bush is going to Graceland NOT to honour Elvis Presley but to bolster his sagging popularity ratings.

Some claim that the two Bush's were Elvis fans on the strength of a handshake! Some fans when there is no public record of either of them ever visiting Graceland in the past!

The Japan Prime Minister is a genuine fan and I wish his visit well.

Many notable people have visited Graceland without any fuss and not for their own benefit as Bush is clearly doing. The Prime Minister doesn't need an ascort - he's a big boy

Elvis stayed clear of politics throughout his life - he kept his opinions private. It is sorry state to have his memory sullied by the circus on the 30th. Bush and EPE are in it for the one reason PUBLICITY - it has nothing to do with honouring Elvis :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Heck I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief that Dick Cheney won't be there. Graceland has a lot of Elvis' guns on display! :)

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

At the time of the J.C.'s award banquet, it's doubtful Elvis knew who George Herbert Walker Bush was. At that time he had been a congressman from Texas and had been defeated by Lloyd Bentson in a close senate race. In 1980 (after Elvis died) Ronald Reagan selected him to be his Vice-Presidental running mate - I think Bush Sr. had served as director of the CIA and chairman of the Republican Party (I'm not sure which at the time of the J.C.'s banquet). In 1988 (more than 10 years after Elvis died), George Herbert Walker Bush, after serving as Reagan's Vice-President for 8 years, was elected President only to be defeated by Clinton in 1992.

It really unimportant whether Bush Sr. or Bush Jr. is an Elvis' fan - let's hope they are. If they are, it will be their only redeeming qualities!

Mystery Train

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

I believe he was UN ambassador at the time.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

KiwiAlan wrote:The point is that Bush is going to Graceland NOT to honour Elvis Presley but to bolster his sagging popularity ratings.
That's another ridiculous stretch.

I do agree that the visit has nothing to do with honoring Elvis, but this kind of thing is nothing new. There hasn't been a President or other world leader who hasn't played the game of politics by doing the sort of thing Bush is doing with the Prime Minister. His popularity ratings have been in the toilet for a long time, and that's likely where they're going to stay. Do you think he would have waited this long to visit Graceland if he thought it could help him? He's doing what President's do.

You have every right not to like George Bush. That is irrelevant. But you're getting your undies in a bundle over nothing because you can't get past your hatred.

Methinks you'd say this visit were a grand idea, if only someone else were in the White House.

moodyblue1
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Re: Bush To Go To Graceland

Post by moodyblue1 »

Mike10ant wrote:Just off the Associated Press
Bush to Take Koizumi to Graceland in Tenn.
By Associated Press
2 hours ago

WASHINGTON - U.S.-Japanese diplomacy is getting All Shook Up.

The White House announced Tuesday that President Bush is taking Japanese Prime Minister and big-time Elvis fan Junichiro Koizumi to Memphis, Tenn., for a pilgrimage to Graceland.

The trip to the rock legend's estate is scheduled for June 30, a day after the two leaders are scheduled to meet at the White House, Bush spokesman Tony Snow said in a statement.

Bush enjoys telling about Koizumi's love of Elvis Presley as part of his stump speech. Said Snow, "The president and Mrs. Bush look forward to introducing the prime minister to the beauty and warm hospitality of the people of the Volunteer State."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Also heard Bush is sending in U.N. inspectors at Graceland for any possible weapons of mass destruction. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by moodyblue1 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Mike10ant
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Mike10ant »

I may be wrong here but this is my view on Bush visiting Graceland. I think that at this point in his presidency Bush could care less about his approval rating. He does and always has what he wants to. He is one who cares less about polls. I think he does what he thinks is in the best interest of our country, even though in some cases it's the wrong thing to do. We have had presidents in the past who have lived by polls and structured their presidencies by these polls. And I'm not saying that this is a bad or good thing. I think that Bush knows that this Japanese leader is an Elvis fan and is just doing him a favor. If going to Graceland would bolster ones's standing in approval ratings then every past and future president, governor, senator, etc. would venture to Graceland. Hell the rest of us would never get a chance to get through those gates! I may be wrong but that's my view...and God knows I've been wrong before and I'm sure it won't be the last time either. I'm just an ordinary fan and I think it's cool that Bush is going to Graceland. I wasn't a Clinton fan but if he went there when he was president that would have been cool also. Now if Hilary goes...just kidding!

Mike in WV

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

Joe Car wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Can't we just leave the politics out of this and enjoy the moment. I'm sure Elvis would have been deeply humbled, the most powerful man in the world and the Japanese Prime Minister coming to his home.
Well said Joe, I couldn't agree more. This visit could also augur well for an official 'Elvis Presley Day' in the U.S.A. sometime in the near future.

Brian :D
Hi Brian, how have you been? It sure would be nice if there was an EP day down the road.
Hi Joe,

Have had a rough year with illness but on the mend now. Keep posting.

Brian :)

hounddawgs6499

Post by hounddawgs6499 »

MysteryTrain wrote:At the time of the J.C.'s award banquet, it's doubtful Elvis knew who George Herbert Walker Bush was. At that time he had been a congressman from Texas and had been defeated by Lloyd Bentson in a close senate race. In 1980 (after Elvis died) Ronald Reagan selected him to be his Vice-Presidental running mate - I think Bush Sr. had served as director of the CIA and chairman of the Republican Party (I'm not sure which at the time of the J.C.'s banquet). In 1988 (more than 10 years after Elvis died), George Herbert Walker Bush, after serving as Reagan's Vice-President for 8 years, was elected President only to be defeated by Clinton in 1992.

It really unimportant whether Bush Sr. or Bush Jr. is an Elvis' fan - let's hope they are. If they are, it will be their only redeeming qualities!

Mystery Train
---

Bush 41 was the U.N. Ambassador at the time. Afterwards, he was the Chariman of the Republican Party. He served as CIA Director for one year (during the last year of Gerald Ford's presidency). We know all the rest.

No matter what one thinks of President George W. Bush, I'm glad that a sitting President is going to visit Graceland - along with a foreign head of state (who happens to be an Elvis fan).
It gives our man Elvis even more mention in the news. :D 8) :)

Considering how proud Elvis was of his Jaycees' award, I think he would've loved it the idea of a sitting President and a foreign head of state visiting his home.

Tom (from Ohio)

skjernaa
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Re: Bush To Go To Graceland

Post by skjernaa »

moodyblue1 wrote:
Mike10ant wrote:Just off the Associated Press
Bush to Take Koizumi to Graceland in Tenn.
By Associated Press
2 hours ago

WASHINGTON - U.S.-Japanese diplomacy is getting All Shook Up.

The White House announced Tuesday that President Bush is taking Japanese Prime Minister and big-time Elvis fan Junichiro Koizumi to Memphis, Tenn., for a pilgrimage to Graceland.

The trip to the rock legend's estate is scheduled for June 30, a day after the two leaders are scheduled to meet at the White House, Bush spokesman Tony Snow said in a statement.

Bush enjoys telling about Koizumi's love of Elvis Presley as part of his stump speech. Said Snow, "The president and Mrs. Bush look forward to introducing the prime minister to the beauty and warm hospitality of the people of the Volunteer State."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Also heard Bush is also sending in U.N. inspectors at Graceland for any possible weapons of mass destruction. :lol: :lol:
I just got the report, that they didn't find any... I guess that means Bush is going to invade!

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Scatter »

It's funny to see so many of our left-leaning friends show their true stripes......preaching love and brotherhood while they can't see past their own uninformed hatred.

Scatter chuckles :lol:

For goodness sakes, a sitting President is going to Graceland........that's an honour no matter your opinion of the Oval Office's current resident.

The brain-dead supposition that going to Graceland, Disneyland, Opreyland, or New Zealand is going to help poll ratings is so abjectly stupid that it beggars description :lol: :lol: