favorite version of Unchained Melody

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

bajo
Registered for: 21 years

Post by bajo »

My favourite is the overdubbed singles version, also found on EAP.

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

For some reason, I thought that was only on "The Great Performances" disc...

I took a quick look at Elvissessions' site and saw he lists an undubbed version being only on "Spring Tours"....

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

FAVOURITE UNCHAINED MELODY PERFORMANCE

Post by Christopher Brown »

I was lucky to have witnessed Elvis sing this song twice -- Ann Arbor and Cincinnati in 1977. I was absolutely blown away sitting in the audience, watching Elvis play and sing UNCHAINED MELODY. By the time of Ann Arbor I had seen 27 performances by Elvis. Included in many of those shows were performances of HURT, YOU GAVE ME A MOUNTAIN, TRYING TO GET TO YOU, HOW GREAT THOU ART -- but nothing ever caught me like Elvis' performance of UNCHAINED MELODY in Ann Arbor. His voice, so big and powerful, literaly filled the arena. That performance was the single, greatest performance I ever heard.

Elvis loved that song, and sang it with such conviction and feeling. When I play this on the piano, I can't follow the music -- I have to follow Elvis' phrasings and pausings, or it just doesn't work.

The Cincinnati performance was very good, but too "halting" for me, and I really feel that Ann Arbor was the stronger performance. Man, when Elvis decided to invest himself in a song, his talent shined.

Christopher Brown