All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:30 pm

While I can appreciate the "warts and all" mentality, in consideration of all the concerns voiced here about public scrutiny, I think more ideal would be a new edit with a better performance selection than the original special, released via a collector's club or FTD. Unfortunately the latter doesn't sound very likely, according to Ernst.

Perhaps I should have more faith that others could see the good in the unedited performances like some of us can, but the good news is those performances will continue to be available for those who really want them. A new release in high quality should feature the best performances. Of course I would love to have both shows and the 1977 special in perfect quality, but if a new video of this material which may or may not garner some public attention is to come out, I think a little "sweetening" of the material would be in everyone's best interests.

Hmmm. I wonder if EPE would be more inclined to undertake a project like this with all the involved expense, but which would paint the best picture, or to put the image more at risk in the name of saving money and just release what they have as it is. I'll take it either way, but you know what my preference would be.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:12 pm

Other than the overly long fan segments, I feel, for the most part, the shows producers did Elvis alot of favors in terms of song selection and editing.
have A Happy
Mike

Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:18 pm

BobbyTCB wrote:While I can appreciate the "warts and all" mentality, in consideration of all the concerns voiced here about public scrutiny, I think more ideal would be a new edit with a better performance selection than the original special, released via a collector's club or FTD. Unfortunately the latter doesn't sound very likely, according to Ernst.

Perhaps I should have more faith that others could see the good in the unedited performances like some of us can, but the good news is those performances will continue to be available for those who really want them. A new release in high quality should feature the best performances. Of course I would love to have both shows and the 1977 special in perfect quality, but if a new video of this material which may or may not garner some public attention is to come out, I think a little "sweetening" of the material would be in everyone's best interests.

Hmmm. I wonder if EPE would be more inclined to undertake a project like this with all the involved expense, but which would paint the best picture, or to put the image more at risk in the name of saving money and just release what they have as it is. I'll take it either way, but you know what my preference would be.

Bobby - Personally, I don't see EPE doing anything with the EIC material in the forseeable fututre. But if & when they get around to it, it will likely be the original EIC special with some additional performances (the better ones obviously) such as Trying To Get To You; Unchained Melody; It's Now Or Never; and Hawaiin Wedding Song. I don't believe they'll invest in an extensive re-edit featuring more flattering camera angles. And I just don't see them using anything from Omaha beyond what was used for the original special. The sluggish versions of Fairytale; And I love You So; and Little Sister simply aren't of a high enough quality to pass muster IMO.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:04 pm

I suppose it is true that for the most part, the original producers did pick the best of the material. But not by much, IMO. Early on in this thread several people noted Love Me as being a terrible performance, one of Elvis's worst ever. It is pretty weak. The only possible reason I can see for their choosing that version from Omaha over the Rapid City performance is because of the audience being closer at the back of the stage, so there was more close interaction to be captured on video. That song is one that usually wasn't given a lot of effort, but in Rapid City Elvis actually performed it very well. So leaving one of Elvis's worst performances in a new release, when a far better version of the same song is available, is something that should be rethought.

That and there being a handful of other songs which should have made the special (I disagree about AILYS--I think it's a pretty strong performance) make a good argument for an altogether new video. But then there is the money, which EPE is so short on these days...

Having said all that, all things considered, I would still be thrilled with a DVD of the special plus bonus tracks!

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:43 pm

MAN, looks like I've really done it now! whoo...definetely got a rise outta stephen bummy, uh, i mean butt...ler! LOL I just love it when someone tries to DEFINE what a REAL Elvis fan should be...let's get sunthin' straight, if drips like u would STOP being so ignorant, you'd go back and see i've made sum good suggestions and replies to the original thread. my attack, or retaliation, is for people like jeff who call us a "sorry bunch"? that's intelligence to u? he can get away with HIS slanderous remarks?

Minkahead:

This, I take it, is your intelligent and well-reasoned response to my last post. Looks like I was right, after all, then. You will have already noticed that I did not try to define what a real Elvis fan was. I simply said that whatever a real Elvis fan is, you don't come close.

As for Jeff's post, for it to be slander it would a) have to be spoken (libel I believe is the term for the written word) and b) inaccurate. It was neither.

Now, just to clarify, I have the CBS tapes and CBS Special in just about the same quality as everyone else has, and that will do me for the time being. If the day comes that it is ever released officially, I will buy it, but I'm not going to demand it to EPE as though it were my God-given right.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:50 am

Fair enough but there's no harm in letting the powers-that-be know our opinions.
From the debate on this topic, I'd say an expanded and re-edited EIC in perfect quality would be a hit through the FTD system.
That seems to be the most popular choice. It's `hidden' from the general public but the best parts of the two concerts are available to hardcore fans.
I doubt there will ever be an official release of the entire Omaha show.
rick

Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:56 am

[color=black]I did not try to define what a real Elvis fan was. I simply said that whatever a real Elvis fan is, you don't come close.

when I said define, did i say YOU? or could it not be a generalization? so, are u confused? how can u judge what a "real fan" is when u don't know what one is? LOL elaborate what a "real fan" is...

oh and by the way, you wanna get literal so, I meant defamation on jeff's comment. that remark was based on a theoretical classification of what he thinks is a "sorry bunch" just for expressing one's feelings and OPINIONS about this touchy subject.

What? yourchoice? Have I missed something? Don't the owners of the material have a choice?

wish u would understand, I mean, me, personally, i don't buy my Elvis Cd's/ DVD's (or any others) based on critics or reviews...by saying my choice, i simply mean, if "EiC" was released on DVD, I would buy it, my choice! don't know where u made your left on that one...lol
[/quote]

Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:00 am

[color=black]I did not try to define what a real Elvis fan was. I simply said that whatever a real Elvis fan is, you don't come close.

when I said define, did i say YOU? or could it not be a generalization? so, are u confused? how can u judge what a "real fan" is when u don't know what one is? LOL elaborate on what a "real fan" is...

oh and by the way, you wanna get literal so, I meant defamation on jeff's comment. that remark was based on a theoretical classification of what he thinks is a "sorry bunch" just for expressing one's feelings and OPINIONS about this touchy subject. still, not the real point I was making.

What? yourchoice? Have I missed something? Don't the owners of the material have a choice?

wish u would understand, I mean, me, personally, i don't buy my Elvis Cd's/ DVD's (or any others) based on critics or reviews...by saying my choice, i simply mean, if "EiC" was released on DVD, I would buy it, my choice! don't know where u made your left on that one...lol
[/quote]

Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:06 am

Hey Mink, just wanted to let you know personally I put on my rose colored glasses and E looks great, and is awesome, just like he was in the glory days. what was I thinking? anyway my apologies for being wrong.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:08 pm

hey KY...wazzup ol buddy? LOL c'mon man, don't put words in my mouth man, where did I ever make ANY comments on the way E looked or sounded on this thread? c'mon...I know...just cuz I'm 4 a DVD release of this material doesn't mean I think he looks great! cheer up Ky! oh, by the way, have u guys been seeing sum of the great publicity E's been getting in sum pf the papers about the new "COL' book? you guys should see sum of the photos they've been using from '76/'77, live shots of E lookin' sweaty, puffy, totally outta his mind. see, no matter how they try to avoiud that era, they ALWAYS focus on it anyway. oh well.

hey, next time you put on your rose colored glasses, try smokin' a joint and listen to "ACT ONE" on David Lee Roth's new cd "Diamond Dave"! and maybe a percocet 2 go with it! LOL have a GREAT DAY TRUE ELVIS FANS.......EP 4EVA!!!!!