All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis In Concert Video

Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:17 pm

Hello,
I recently downloaded a copy of the original CBS Elvis In Concert Special. Having only seen clips of it in the past (This Is Elvis) I was rather disheartened to see it in it's entirety. I've always enjoyed the RCA double album (one of my first Elvis albums ever), the video is just tragic. I have seen in the past, on this message board and others, the idea of the EP estate releasing this for the general public. Having read all of the arguements Pro and Con I must come down on the side of the Estate. This just is not fit for general public consumption. The hardcore Elvis collector generally (like myself) has and will find ways to get this video. I downloaded it from WinMX. If this were officially released, i;m afraid this could turn back alot of the respect and credibility Elvis has regianed as an artist over the last several years. Just my opinion.
Mike

A sad day

Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:49 pm

I agree with you 100 % - this should never be released - it is way too sad.

In terms of marketing etc. 'THEY' should stop @ Aloha.

I have this on VCD - it is very sad to watch.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:33 pm

Pretending the footage does not exist doesn't make it go away. We all know the state of Elvis's health at that time, and he should not have been performing. Still, as a fan, I want the whole story--warts and all.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:42 am

You know what, if Elvis had the guts to go on stage very well aware of his physical condition and appearance, we as fans should not ignore this concert.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:03 am

This is one of those subjects that crops up on this board with alarming regularity - at least once a month I would say. And it is always guaranteed to be a long thread as mugs like myself take the bait. But I can see both sides of this argument. It is highly unlikely that either CBS concert will see the light of day in anything approaching their entirety. On the other hand, both shows have some truly great performances, and these ought to be released on some sort of compilation.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:10 am

I think it would look better in better quality. I would like a good quality release of this in my collection.

8)

Re: Elvis In Concert Video

Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:58 am

Mike in New Jersey wrote:I recently downloaded a copy of the original CBS Elvis In Concert Special. Having only seen clips of it in the past (This Is Elvis) I was rather disheartened to see it in it's entirety. I've always enjoyed the RCA double album (one of my first Elvis albums ever), the video is just tragic. I have seen in the past, on this message board and others, the idea of the EP estate releasing this for the general public. Having read all of the arguements Pro and Con I must come down on the side of the Estate. This just is not fit for general public consumption. The hardcore Elvis collector generally (like myself) has and will find ways to get this video. I downloaded it from WinMX. If this were officially released, i;m afraid this could turn back alot of the respect and credibility Elvis has regianed as an artist over the last several years.

Mike, you hit all the main points to perfection. It's only the sad, myopic Presley fans that want to see this material issued. Even if done through a "fan" outlet like FTD it would eventually be taken and exploited by the media. And this event would be both a travesty and a shame. It's pathetic that these simple facts are missed by so many on this MB.

God bless!

Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:51 am

Heaven knows, we could NEVER survive a media onslaught against Elvis.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:19 am

Like many others I really wanted to see this footage. As an Elvis completeist I felt it was something I needed to see to get "the whole picture". After viewing it I'm still glad to have seen it. I just cannot reccomend it to anyone but the most diehard of fans. What good could come of releasing it to the general public? The diehards should, for the most part, not have a problem finding it. Sure, Elvis fans could survive another wave of media criticizim, but, why? Ernst and Co. have done a wonderful job of bringing Elvis some much needed respect. We should toss that aside so a few hard core fans can more easily access a truly regrettable moment in Elvis' career?
Mike

Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:35 am

Don't get me wrong I don't want it to be issued either. His name has taken an unfair beating over the years because he wasn't "thin as a rake and more handsome then ten movie stars" anymore. My take was and is that because it's not Elvis the way we want to remember him doesn't mean we should forget about this concert. I want people especially the younger fans to see EP at his sharpest, what made him the King, so they can grasp why he inspired so many superstars and I think this last year really help shift the focus that way.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:47 am

I'm sorry about my pathetic spelling
Mike

Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:20 am

A stoned Jim Morrison is cool, a shambling Ozzy Osbourne has his own TV series and the supposed 'King of Pop' has disfigured himself with cosmetic surgery. Its only Elvis that people want to hide from public gaze.

The public reads warts n all biographies about Elvis but we don't want them to see the CBS Special in case they make up thier own minds about him. Hmm.

So the Elvis product should be censored to suit certain peoples idea of 'the Myth' - and we don't want them to have 'the truth' like in the books.

When the subject about Lost footage comes up everyone says they want lost footage to be released. Obviously thats not the case - if a TV Special that was publically aired on TV is not good enough.

I don't see how there could be a Media backlash if this material were released on a collectors label.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:26 am

Well said Paul. 100% with you on this.
It was viewed by anyone wanting to watch it in 1977.

Lets hide it now that It's 2003. What an embaresment it was.
What fans we have here on the message board wanting to hide Elvis.

:shock:

Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:29 am

Well, ........... fellow fans / collectors, call me whatever name in the book that you please but, ..................... irregardless, I would like to have EIC+ Outtakes in perfect quality to enjoy as I see fit (certain portions). Why? Simply because, TTWIW and it can never be changed ........ nor forever swept under the rug.

JMO.

N8
... just a fan ....

Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:37 am

Spot on N880EP, Although it would have been nicer to see a fit Elvis doing this show, it was how it was, no cover up needed. He still brought a smile to my face enjoying his prformance.

8)

Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:54 am

That's the key Sam and whoever thinks this video should be released to the public. It put a smile on YOUR face! That doesn't mean it's going to put a smile on many faces. It surely doesn't do it to me. It makes me sad and it makes me mad.
Yes, I do have this video and have watched it a couple times. It has been mentioned several times on this thread that it is readily available for people who really want it. Who would want this except for diehard fans? If that is the case, why should it be in stores where anyone can buy it?
This video would and will upset many people. Some of these people are just casual Elvis fans and want to see a concert on DVD or video. Do they really want to see this?
I agree with the group that does NOT want this released to the public. Elvis rarely ever looked worse.

jeff R

Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:56 am

I know this is a touchy subject for us fans, but really, it's been 26 years! I really don't see how any more harm can be done to Elvis' image with an eventual release of this material. c'mon people, u see it all the time, somehow, someway, everytime there's astory about elvis in the papers or tv, the "fat" or "vegas" or even "drugged" Elvis pops in somewhere. I saw a special on vh1 not to far back and i could not believe the shots they were using, awful, sweaty puffy shots from live shows and i remember one guy said something like, "By 1977, Elvis Presley seemed bent on death"! if they can use and have this footage, then, we, the Elvis fans, should also have it in our collection!!! if we choose to watch it, it's our own business. if not, same. simple as that! has nuthin' to do with the way he looked or sounded. Elvis presley lived until Aug. 16th, '77 and i accept that good, bad or indifference, Elvis is Elvis too me and noone can take that from me.

I knew a guy who I became friends with that I met from my uncle. He once weighed 165 lbs in his 20's, then gradually over the years became obese. well, this man died a young 53 year old man! no one even expected he was that sick, he ate poorly, smoked etc etc.. the basis of my story is, this guy was sooo funny and such a nice kind hearted person, he would go out of his way to help anyone. invited me many times to go on his boat for 2 day trips in the Atlantic, but i always refused cuz of lack of time, which I now regret. now, do i choose to forget how this guy looked at 255 lbs? how his long beard and BIG belly and smelly cigar annoyed some others when we ate at a restaurant together? should i destroy some of my pics with this guy and my uncle and my son, who called him "santa"? of course not!!! why should Elvis Presley be any different? was he GOD? a Saint? do u guys get what i'm saying here?

Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:01 am

Sorry you feel this way Jeff, I'm a fan of Elvis. The complete Elvis. Not a fan of the highlights of Elvis. I would like a good quality release of this. It doesn't bother me if this was through an FTD label where people are more likely to appreciate it....but then again I'm beginning to think the general public might appreciate it more than the fans. Who knows???

:roll:

Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:08 am

It is not marketable, period! It shows a sick, dying man trying to do a concert when he should have been in the hospital. Releasing it to the public would not do anything positive for Elvis' memory. He was walking death. So was my grandmother when she was dying of lung cancer. does it mean im cruel or dont love her for saying it? no. just the way it is.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:29 am

Should we ban the double album/CD of Elvis in Concert as well. It's the same performance. Do you have this one in your collection???
So we can read about 1977 and listen to 1977 but for some reason we shouldn't be able to see it. Doesn't make sense to me.

:? :? :?

Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:32 am

I just looked up the albums BMG are keeping in the lineup and "Elvis In Concert" is one of them. Must be an OK performance. :?

8)

Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:07 am

Well when I always state my views, the opposing argument is always turned around on me, but it isnt about me Sam. its the public. I am a diehard fan, I love the guy. the issue is whether this should be released to a less than sympathetic public and an even more cruel media ready to pounce with fat jokes and the same ole stereotypes. I think we should be a little less selfish.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:21 am

SAM

I think you are totally missing the point! As Kylan wrote this in not about the fans but about the public.We as fans love Elvis no matter what way he looked because we are FANS! but if the general publc saw images of a fat,incoherent dying singer in a jumpsuit then this is what they would think of whenever Elvis' name is mentioned.This image is the image that we as fans DON'T want Elvis to be remembered as because this is the image the general pubic has had of Elvis for the past 20-30 yrs with the help of impersonators. If Elvis fans think he looked sad and pathetic in these concerts then what do you think the non Elvis loving public will think(the tabloids will have a field day)

Promocollector

Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:50 am

I can understand your view, but I think everyone already knows what Elvis was like in 1977. Maybe not a public release but a collectors release would be a solution. The copies on VCD floating around
(Bad pic and colour quality) make Elvis look worse than if a good copy was available. For me these shows are enjoyable. He's out there doing what he did best.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. :wink:
No harm in that. :)

Clever Editing is the answer

Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:06 pm

Hi,

I too have the CBS Footage and the Elvis in Concert. When watching the material the thing that strikes me the most is not that Elvis is over weight (Just compare him with the people standing around him for size), but you can clearly see the retention of fluid in his face.

However, he really does put in some terriffic performances, and I feel the answer to releasing the footage should be that -

a) All available footage is collected together, remove the fan clips, include more of the long shots from the outakes. The long shots are more favourable to the image that EPE wants us all to see.

b) Release this as an FTD only.

You know watching the footage always stikes me how much Elvis must have cared for his fans. One further comment is this.....

EPE try to change history by purchasing the footage in its entirety.....surely in the days of Digital Effects they could do a little more to enhance the footage/image...say what about changing the suit for a Black one, or quick editing from one shot to another before the human eyes have time to focus deeply on the subject.

This will be released one day.......when they have run out of outakes of 68' and Aloha.......and Elvis on Tour......and TTWII......etc.

Regards

e.