"If I were You"

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

Ciscoking wrote:English isn`t my native language..so I don´t bother about lyrics.. :wink:
Since english is not my native language I never bother about lyrics too.

IMO this is a very good sound. The version found in the import "Whole Lotta Shaking Going On" is great!
I like his vocal in this song.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

Renan wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:English isn`t my native language..so I don´t bother about lyrics.. :wink:
Since english is not my native language I never bother about lyrics too.

IMO this is a very good sound. The version found in the import "Whole Lotta Shaking Going On" is great!
I like his vocal in this song.

Yeah..right.
Whole Lotta.... is among my TOP 5 imports..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Rob

Post by Rob »

Ciscoking wrote:C`mon Doc...you have a date with a beautiful woman....you have eaten and already drank a few glasses of fine wine.
Then the DJ plays This Is Our Dance.
Women do love this song. I have never met one who didn't. You would get much farther with her with This Is Our Dance than you would with Baby, Let's Play House.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Rob wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:C`mon Doc...you have a date with a beautiful woman....you have eaten and already drank a few glasses of fine wine.
Women do love this song. I have never met one who didn't. You would get much farther with her with This Is Our Dance than you would with Baby, Let's Play House.
I hope my friend Doc is reading this...his women fall asleep when this song`s played....obviously it isn´t the song..it´s him... :lol:

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

So it's a bit like Gee's Linctus, then.

You hate the stuff, but if it works... :wink:

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

LiketheBike, naturally, I agree with most you say in your post, save the following:
Greg I agree that is there is good romantic schlock ("Are You Lonesome To-Night?" is structurally as corny as it gets) as Elvis proved he could redeem it over and over. Something like "Hurt" is pure melodrama without him. However, his vocals here and on stuff like "This is Our Dance" don't have that kind of inspiration. Listen to "Home is Where the Heart Is" by comparison. He just glides through that tune using all his range, caressing and elongating words to give them meaning. Here's he more dutiful. Dutiful Elvis is better than 90 percent of anyone else but still. It's all subjective but that's how I feel.
'Bike: you have to lay off ingesting the "critical-just-to-be-critical/ opinionated-because-I-can" Robert Christgau, who I just happened to read yesterday on his site as having once dismissed "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and "Can't Help Falling in Love" "schlock masterpieces." Wasn't it the "Colonel" himself who kept pushing to have this even then ancient song (from the '20s) recorded by Elvis? He was on to something.

http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?id=421&name=Elvis+Presley

To me, this brand of rock criticism is what they talk about when they talk about "rockism," as opposed to "popism"...

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2006/05/21/the_real_thing/

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/31/arts/music/31sann.html?ei=5090&en=5d74c31cbf3d2d34&ex=1256965200&partner=rssuserland&pagewanted=all&position=

http://www.slatetv.net/id/2141418/?nav=navoa

Either way, ballad lovers need not have to flinch because someone thinks ballads are "gay" or for females. I think some of the best musical structures are the familiar ones. The blues and country world alone mine the same chord structures over and over. That's never been the point.

And I do like your defense of what I think of as "Love Letters II," which I've always liked as a more muture, deeper Elvis version. No, it doesn't supplant the original, but it (and the great live '76 versions) are terrific, too.

"Heart of Rome" is a guilty pleasure of mine. Complete schlock but Elvis is having so much fun and his voice is so beautiful that I forget that Dean Martin would have rejected the tune itself.
Again, with all due respect but since when are you so defensive about balladry and light pop? You've come to the defense of the pop output of Madonna - so save some room for Elvis' Italian romp! This is another song with gusto that I enjoy, aware that it is too much in the veinn of Humperdink & Jones for some, but in small dosages, I like that, too.

Some die-hards say they only like the '50s rockabilly but I wonder how they reconcile the "Harbor Lights" and such? Elvis' vast appetite for all kinds of music is what made him a genius - and perhaps why the false line-ups of the "genre" sets seem to misfire.

I have a soft spot for the "Heart of Rome" outtake where a giddy King sings "I'll Take A Piss In every fountain..." and maybe the ever-cynical "Dean of Rock Critics" Christgau would if he ever heard it. Only that, to such a jaded writer, would suffice.

On the other hand, he reminds me in his praise of how much I enjoyed "A Valentine Gift for You" when it came out. :oops:

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

JamieAKelley
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by JamieAKelley »

Just a tip for those who don't like "If I Were You" (I personally love the song, and my tastes are just as good as anybody elses - isn't everybody's?):

When I hear: "The great snowman I've been called by all... but it looks like this time I'm gonna fall"... I smile and wonder how Col. Parker first reacted when he heard that?

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

I don't necessarily think it's being opinionated for its own sake to point out that there are well written ballads and corny ballads and that sometimes Elvis redeemed corny ballads magnificently. Especially the spoken passage in "Lonesome" is the height of corn but it's done so convincingly that Elvis redeems it. As a song I don't think anyone would say it ranks with the great Tin Pan Alley standards. "Blue Moon" is romantic but it's not schlock you know what I mean. "Save the Last Dance For Me" is not schlock but it's romantic. For that matter, "Can't Help Falling in Love" is certainly not schlock even though Elvis found more in it than any other interpreter. "Hurt" barely has a melody and you can predict the lyrics before you hear them. Yet Elvis invests it with so much energy and passion that it transcends its schlock origins. I would say the same thing about an uptempo song like "I Need Your Love Tonight" which is basically a 40 year old's version of what a teen dream should be.

I don't feel it's being overly critical to call a spade a spade and identify the weaknesses in a given piece of material. I think it's kind of mistake to elevate a toss off like "Heart of Rome" to the heights of "Long Black Limousine" or "Can't Help Falling in Love".

My whole goal when I write or analyze a piece is to see things in three dimensions. I don't write off any given piece of material because of its origins.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

likethebike wrote:I'm not in love with the melody here either except for the bridge. I agree the lyric is hideous. Elvis sings the hell out of it though without the level of inspiration he brought to songs that hit home. Listening to it I feel some of the same regret I get listening to some of Elvis' lesser movie songs from 1960 to 1963 where I wonder what he would have done with some superior material.

Greg I agree that is there is good romantic schlock ("Are You Lonesome To-Night?" is structurally as corny as it gets) as Elvis proved he could redeem it over and over. Something like "Hurt" is pure melodrama without him. However, his vocals here and on stuff like "This is Our Dance" don't have that kind of inspiration. Listen to "Home is Where the Heart Is" by comparison. He just glides through that tune using all his range, caressing and elongating words to give them meaning. Here's he more dutiful. Dutiful Elvis is better than 90 percent of anyone else but still. It's all subjective but that's how I feel.

I agree with the argument posted here that "Love Letters" brought the momentum of the comeback to a halt. I would include the 1971 singles in there as well which with the exception of "I'm Leaving" and the 1970 released and recorded "I Really Don't Want To Know" were really dull and hookless. (When sometime board poster and critic did his essential review of Elvis' ouevre in Goldmine in 1997, making this same point he called those singles "staggeringly dull.) Not only did those records destroy his critical momentum but they destroyed his commercial credibility as well.

I think LL was an album released to meet only contractual demands. It is no less of a hodgepodge than Elvis Now or Elvis Fool because these songs are left overs. They're songs Elvis sang to get to where he was going to get "Elvis Country" and "That's the Way it is". That was kind of his woodshed way of working that he often used dating back to Sun. If those albums were "That's All Right Mama" and "Blue Moon of Kentucky", LL was "I Love You Because" or "Harbor Lights". I do agree that because it came from the sessions it's a little more coherent than Elvis Now or Fool even though I feel Fool has more individual moments. I also agree that Elvis' vocals generally make it listenable if nothing else.

The only real highlights for me are the remake of "Love Letters" which is quite a treat IMO. Some have commented that Elvis didn't change too much from the 1966 recording but this is quite a rethink to my ear with Elvis singing in a much hoarser voice and more aggressively using melisma. Where in 1966 he went for grace, here he goes for pure eroticism and largely achieves it. It's almost erotic desperation. I wouldn't say it's superior to the 1966 recording but it's more original and it stands as a separate achievement. It makes me wish that Elvis would have or would have time to revisit some of his other songs in a serious studio context in later years.

The other highlight is Mojo even with Felton's overwrought overdubs. The humor and rural edge on that track might have fit on "Elvis Country" maybe right next to "I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water" although it's not quite a perfect fit. It has the same kind of abandon that "Muddy Waters" has but it's lighter and less edgy and miles away from the rueful character of that album. Perhaps it could have been a single with "Muddy Water" on the flip. (I think Water is a better song but I put it on the B because it is a second trip to the Elvis Country single mine.) A double sided rocker by Elvis in 1971 that would have caused some commotion.

"Heart of Rome" is a guilty pleasure of mine. Complete schlock but Elvis is having so much fun and his voice is so beautiful that I forget that Dean Martin would have rejected the tune itself.
I agree with you LTB except Hurt was done well by at least two other people and never sounded melodramatic to me. Also agree with Mojo jam and the horns and other overdubs on a song that is faded in. Instead of spending money on those overdubs he should of thought of a way to record a beginning to edit at the beginning. Sorry to repeat myself.

sam

Post by sam »

But do we know what persuation the Doc is???
Maybe he doesn't date women. Just a thought!!!

:wink:

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I'll put it this way: I like the "Love Letters" album. Let the flogging begin.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I took a long time to have the courage of (getting parents to help $) buying that album. It was too sissy looking for a 12 year old boy!

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

Rob wrote:
It's a little too Elvis Humperdink for my taste. But then I'm not a woman :)

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

sam wrote:Maybe he doesn't date women.
Evidently we have a voice of experience on the subject here.
sam wrote:Just a thought!!!
Here's a thought: what does "persuation" mean?

DJC

sam

Post by sam »

drjohncarpenter wrote:]
Here's a thought: what does "persuation" mean?

DJC
per·sua·sion : A party, faction, or group holding to a particular set of ideas or beliefs.

8)

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

TJ wrote: It's a little too Elvis Humperdink for my taste. But then I'm not a woman :)

That's what I hear on This Is Our Dance T.J. Elvisbert Presleydink. It's actually not bad, but it's too a hokey for my tastes. Like a tuxedo- wearing Love boat wedding band standard.

Young'un Sound
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Young'un Sound »

Jamie,

You hit the nail on the head man!

Every time I heard "the great snowman, I've been called by all" I ALWAYS thought of the Col. !!!

And it takes little imagination on my part to hear the Col saying himself, as well as living by the creedo, "If I were you, I know that I'd love me!"

Topic author
rockerman
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by rockerman »

I think even if the lyrics don't make great sence it can still be a great song. What about Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes? Elvis still does a great job with them, and they are enjoyable to listen to.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

sam wrote:per·sua·sion : A party, faction, or group holding to a particular set of ideas or beliefs.
You didn't answer my question. You posted this gem:
sam wrote:But do we know what persuation the Doc is???
Do we know what "persuation" is???

DJC

sam

Post by sam »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sam wrote:per·sua·sion : A party, faction, or group holding to a particular set of ideas or beliefs.
You didn't answer my question. You posted this gem:
sam wrote:But do we know what persuation the Doc is???
Do we know what "persuation" is???

DJC
Oh boy nit picking a typo!!1

What else can you come up with Dictionary john!!!

sam

Post by sam »

Actually Doc. I'm starting to feel sorry for you. You must be a very sad lonely little man!!!

I will try to remember this in future!!!

:roll:
Last edited by sam on Sat May 27, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joern

Post by Joern »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Then the DJ plays This Is Our Dance..now what on earth can happen else to get this woman home...
Well, the first thing you might want to do is wake her up.

DJC
I laughed out loud about that one :D .

Joern

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Liverbobs »

A likeable ditty, but since I've been reading this thread i can't stop singing the bloody song!! :lol: :oops:

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

sam

Post by sam »

Liverbobs wrote:A likeable ditty, but since I've been reading this thread i can't stop singing the bloody song!! :lol: :oops:
Try putting Ol' MacDonald in the CD player. That might help!!! :wink:

8)

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

likethebike wrote:I don't necessarily think it's being opinionated for its own sake to point out that there are well written ballads and corny ballads and that sometimes Elvis redeemed corny ballads magnificently.. .
I was bristling more at Robert Christgau's "The World According To Me" approach but having read more of his criticism on other subjects, I have to say he's a brilliant writer, even when I don't share his biases.

As for your opinions, they are just that and nothing set in stone for others. I personally think what is one person's "corn" is another person's beautiful melody. Even the notion of "corn" is a creation of a certain perspective (see links above). It's all very subjective but I'm always interested in new insights.

I will comment elsewhere in another thread to be created on how Elvis falls in the rockism/popism debate...

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality