All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 am

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Elvis and Ali's friendship

Would such a documentary last longer than a minute :?:

And would the general public give a hoot :?:

Mon May 22, 2006 12:25 pm

Define their friendship.
It is my understanding that Elvis met Ali one time.
Did it go beyond mutual respect?

Mon May 22, 2006 1:28 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Would such a documentary last longer than a minute :?:

I think the same. BTW I guess they only met themselves once!!

Mon May 22, 2006 1:54 pm

Jay33 wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote::?: :?: :?: :?:

Geez, I give up. This board is filled with negativity everywhere you turn. Why do I even bother? :roll:

Jay, it's the same several people that are negative. If you take a close look at Kiwi's "posts", you'll see that nine out of ten of his responses are negative. His user name should read "sourful Jones".

Mon May 22, 2006 4:19 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Jay33 wrote:

Geez, I give up. This board is filled with negativity everywhere you turn. Why do I even bother? :roll:

Jay, it's the same several people that are negative. If you take a close look at Kiwi's "posts", you'll see that nine out of ten of his responses are negative. His user name should read "sourful Jones".

It's called realism, Joe :!:

Could you make a documentary out of one meeting - which wasn't even filmed :D

Mon May 22, 2006 5:51 pm

Whatever gave you the idea that I am an expert on EP and Ali. All I know is that they met in Las Vegas. And there are photos that go with the story. EP presented him with a robe emblazoned with the words "The People's Champion." Ali responded by giving EP boxing gloves inscribed "You're the greatest" (left) and "To Elvis, my main man, from Muhammad Ali" (right). Ali recollected later: "I felt sorry for him because he didn't enjoy life the way he should. He stayed indoors all the time. I told him he should go out and see people."

Mon May 22, 2006 6:12 pm

Jay33 wrote:.........it is no secret that EP and Ali were close friends.

Apparently, it was.

Tom

Mon May 22, 2006 7:18 pm

Jay33 wrote:But I can see some here aren't mature enough to do that.

Yeah, that's the way to butter us up.

Tom

Mon May 22, 2006 7:18 pm

Jay,

The pic of Elvis sparring with Ali, and the one of the two men together, ali in a blue shirt and tie, and Elvis in a blue superfly coat, were not taken in different years.

If you look at the pics, Elvis is wearing identical jewellery, including the sharks tooth necklace that he only wore in 1973.

I think they may be from the same date, as elvis is wearing a white shirt under the superfly coat, which could well be the same white shirt in the sparring pic.

That said, i do think that there was a genuine respect between the two men, and it's possible they met more than once, but does that make it a "close" friendship?

Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Jay33 wrote:

i said that way back when, when it was actual news.

Mon May 22, 2006 9:45 pm

Your right about Kiwi,

His posts do seem to be mostly negative.

Sorry Kiwi but im just making an observation.

Mon May 22, 2006 10:03 pm

A documentary about Elvis and Ali would make it seem that Ali was a major chapter in Elvis' or Alis' life. I do not think one could fill a single chapter from a book (no pictures just text). Neither Tom Jones or Sammy Davis Jr. would need a documentary (imo) and surely they were in contact with Elvis more than Ali ever was. Imo.

Mon May 22, 2006 10:05 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Jay33 wrote:

Why is this negative? If they only met twice, too much for being close friendship.

Mon May 22, 2006 10:08 pm

Jay33 wrote:name calling

like this Jay? After looking at her with those big front teeth I think it was the other way around

Mon May 22, 2006 10:24 pm

i´d love to see such a project coming (and i know that, at least, gayle "thechildwithin" would love to see it, too - in fact there are so many adorers of both men out there, just because both werde the most known people on this planet for the same generations during almost the same timeframe).
elvis and cassius, they led almost linked lifes, with the difference that ali is seven years younger and therefor his career is displaced about five or six years, compared to elvis´.
let´s take a closer look:
elvis started to become a brand to major audiences in ´55.
cassius got wider attention in ´60 with the winnings of the olympic gold medal in rome.
from his career beginnings until he got out of the army in ´60, the american establishment hated elvis.
just as they hated ali, after he had converted to the black muslims. that had absolutely changed, when he came out of (forced) retirement in ´70.

by 1960 and by 1970 both had become american role models, loved and recognized by millions worldwide.

both had been away from the public´s eye for a while:
elvis during his movie career from´61 until ´68;
ali was inactive due to a suspension from ´67 to ´70.

both had triumphant comebacks: the king in ´68 on nbc, the greatest ´71 against frazier in york´s garden.

the 2nd comeback was elvis´"aloha" ´73 and ali´s "rumble in the jungle" against foreman in ´74 (winning the championsbelt for the 2nd time).

after that, both declined rapidly, displaced just a few years. both got fat and lethargic, with the torch of fame & fortune still burning brightly.
both were the greatest in their field.

elvis disturbing last farewell was the cbs-special in ´77. ali´s was the tragic "last hurrah" against holmes three years later or the "drama on the bahamas", december ´81 against berbick.
by then, both had deteriorated that much, that their fans felt hurt to watch - it was reallife drama and tragedy.
but it didn´t change anything.
both had become so big by then, that they couldn´t topple their own monuments anymore.
today, they are still adored by millions, maybe more than ever before.
they are two of few true american icons.

working title: linked lifes -
enough contents for a documentary, kiwialan ... ? :wink:

Mon May 22, 2006 11:02 pm

Jay33 wrote:I've been reading this forum way before I ever registerded for an account. I saw a lot of finger pointing and name calling to a point where even racism was involved. Just look how certain ones treated Lakeisha.

Dude, I gotta call Bullsh!t on this one. Go back and read Lakeisha's posts and you'll see that every single time that race was brought up, it was by her. I'm sleeping just fine tonight.

Tom

Mon May 22, 2006 11:58 pm

Perhaps there should be a series of two documentaries:-

Elvis Meets Nixon
Elvis Meets Ali
Elvis Meets The King Of Thailand
Elvis Meets Sammy Davis Jnr
Elvis Meets The Beatles
Elvis Meets Herman's Hermit
Elvis DOES NOT meet Bridget Bardot

Plus every week for 5 years "Elvis Is Greeted By The Mayors Of 250 Cities"

WOW- This would really work - but I guess some negative person will pour cold water on it :cry:

Tue May 23, 2006 12:09 am

Jay33 wrote:Finally, a reasonable responce and accurate at that! I guess someone here is an adult after all.

OK, you keep this crap up and you won't get an invite to the annual FECC Christmas party.

Tom

P.S.
Jay33 wrote:He only met Nixon because it was his only way to get his badges for Narcotics that he so badly wanted. Anyone wanna disagree with that?

Oh yeah, you ain't coming.