Are bootleg soundboards better? (plus a mystery)

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvissessions »

Well, by "all that's left" I mean my first goal is to get all the bootleg soundboards, and I'm almost finished with that project.

I'm accumulating audience recordings, too, but I haven't even cataloged all the dates on the recordings I have yet, and, realistically, there's almost no end to the audience tapes. So I'm just sort of making that a casual effort.

As far as the studio outtakes go, again, I'm building the collection, but it's pretty damn daunting already editing out all the officially released stuff and boiling it down to what's unique to the bootlegs -- and then picking out what are the best-sounding releases of each take, etc.

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, and that step is the bootleg soundboards.

With regard to "Elvis Has Left the Building," I'm just snapping these things up sight unseen, working off Keith's list to get every available song. So I assumed that "Elvis Has Left the Building" was some sort of concert release, and all of a sudden I'm listening to news footage. It's pretty cool, yeah, but not what I was expecting. I also got a CD recording of the Geraldo Rivera "investigation" special -- imagine my surprise when I popped that into the player. WTF?

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

ES, I forgotten for a moment your approach to things and it makes sense. Daunting is a good word for it. I dare say I'm "coasting" on what I've acquired in the last year or two. There's a level of depth that you can achieve really fast and you might as well sit back, digest them and then think about another "layer." I enjoy comparing reviews from "Elvis In Norway," this site and a few others. Quite a bit of the alternate artwork that fans have created outdo the original artwork in some cases and at least have great contemporary reviews added. I 'd like to get that "Concert Years" book which is a must-have to aid one's enjoyment of '70s live Elvis recordings.

That documentary is quite moving, once you get past the expectation of their being music on it. It brings me back to that day...

The 20/20 video I'm in the process of acquiring. I haven't seen it since it was broadcast. It was kind of spooky at the time.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality