All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis Live February 12,1977

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:07 am

Does anyone have info about this show? The crazy Canuck writes he heard a soundboard in perfect quality the day after he saw the show from some TCB band members. I know there are a few audience recordings. I would like to see pictures that are not those ugly ones Goldman put in his book. I have a few posted at ELVIScrawler. How about film clips? Anyway,the only reason I am interested is because I was there and it happened to be a pretty good show too. Thanks.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:55 pm

Hope there are some 'unseen' (by you) shots in here!

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:04 pm

Thanks a million!! I like the shots except that little one which ugly as hell. I try to collect the more photogenic ones which I have a few already. The best and biggest surprise was the ticket stub. The last time I saw one(I lost it inside the building) with that date was ON THAT DATE. :D

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:06 pm

The little one is ugly?

None of them would win any prizes at the fair.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:15 pm

Well pretend for a second it is not Elvis. You would eliminate that one for sure. Back to Elvis. In the Aloha cover I bet there were lots better than that constipated look one. Anyway I made my point. Hopefully.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:17 pm

Speaking of which! ie ticket stubs, here are some alternates!

You do know, this concert has been committed to film, albiet amateurish from the audience!

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:27 pm

JLGB wrote:Well pretend for a second it is not Elvis.

Oh Man! Now you're asking a lot.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:29 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:Speaking of which! ie ticket stubs, here are some alternates!

You do know, this concert has been committed to film, albiet amateurish from the audience!
I have a very blurry video of a fans 8mm. Thanks for the your time to post this. I already saved them and took out that comment which was easy with black. Thanks! :D :D :D
Last edited by Juan Luis on Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:34 pm

Rob wrote:
JLGB wrote:Well pretend for a second it is not Elvis.

Oh Man! Now you're asking a lot.
I won't ask then. :wink:

Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:48 pm

Does anyone have footage of this show? Just about the only tour I have never seen any film of is this one.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:39 pm

I have an audience recording, and it seems to have been a pretty good show... It´s almost like he tried to uphold the standard set on the December tour, but couldn´t quite make it, being in so much worse shape... (what the **** happened in those six weeks?). He looked awful here, but at least when he ended the tour on February 21, he looked a lot better.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:29 pm

"Bloated, heavily in debt and sexually impotent, he was unconscious more often than he was awake..."...?? Who wrote this garbage, Goldman?

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:30 pm

MB280E wrote:"Bloated, heavily in debt and sexually impotent, he was unconscious more often than he was awake..."...?? Who wrote this garbage, Goldman?

Sincerely MB280E
Or a jerk like him. He started to look better as that first tour of the year progressed and even on that same show there are better pictures I would think due to him losing some water by perspiration. It was water retention more than anything.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:39 pm

"Bloated, heavily in debt and sexually impotent, he was unconscious more often than he was awake..."

I see we're back to Sam at one of his bashes again !

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:53 pm

:lol:

Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:00 pm

I asked for pictures and I got them. It was easy(for me) to black out the comments but too bad they were there to begin with. Thanks again for the pictures. It was a great show specially for those of us (over 15000) that were there. Unless you want to add something interesting (no Albert Goldman photos ) to add please do not post here anymore so thread will leave the building so to speak. :) Thanks to everyone specially funkyangel. If you wish you can further check out this show on Steve's site. I even have a great front page scan of the MIAMI HERALD the day after that South Florida event.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:59 pm

I think that quote does come directly from Goldman's book. I can't be sure, because it is about 20 years since I read it, but I am sure there was a picture from the February 1977 tour in the book with that quote near it.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:15 pm

I've seen footage of this show and it seems like a fairly energetic performance and not the total washout some of the photos might indicate.
That top shot with the guitar is not too bad
rick

Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:20 pm

...and a couple of weeks ago, there was a guy here on the board, that insisted that Elvis ws slim this tour...because of one picture or two... :roll:

Regards

Björn

Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:52 pm

Bjorn,

Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between.

What is astonshing is the change in Elvis appearance from the start of the tour, to the end of it only a short while later. This, to me, indicates that there was something seriously wrong with Elvis body at this time, that he could balloon up and down in such a short space of time.

While he can't be described as "slim" by the end of the tour, he was certainly much slimmer. Does that make sense?

Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:14 pm

I've seen pictures from either the 19th or 21st of February where he looks much slimmer, a full length shot with his sideburns looking razor sharp and longer. He definitely had some problems with water retention because even Red West mentioned it to him during the infamous tape recorded converation from late 76.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:24 pm

DarrylMac wrote:What is astonshing is the change in Elvis appearance from the start of the tour, to the end of it only a short while later.

You want astonishing?
Astonishing is the fact that this pic was taken just 6 weeks earlier. Notice any difference between this one and the one above?

Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:01 pm

How about just 9 days from the 12th to the 21st. :shock: There are still some ok pictures from this show and I will raise from the dead this thread when I learn to upload here. :)

Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:02 pm

Rob,

I agree completely. He gradually lost weight from Sept 76 through until December - I wonder what happened, or what Elvis state of mind was betwen New Year and early Feb?

I've read somewhere that Elvis was forced to face some home truths about his finances around this time, and with his record sales in general decline, a lack of quality material, or inclination to record and battling depression and his health issues, maybe this was the point he'd decided he was facing an uphill struggle, and he was well and truly trapped? Just speculation on my part, obviously.

As I said earlier though, the fact that in the space of a 9 days, between 12th and 21st is proof, as if any were needed, that something was very wrong.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:05 pm

One of the major problems Elvis was having in very early 1977, was a girl by the name of Ginger Alden.